March 31st, 2008

Forget Rev. Wright: Condi talks tough about race in America

Sen. Barack Obama has called for a national discussion on race in America, and one of the folks who sure didn't hold back when asked was Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

ALT TEXT

In a discussion with the editorial board of the Washington Times on Thursday, Rice called racism a "birth defect" of America, and said that black Americans have loved the nation even when it didn't love us.

The Times reported:

“Black Americans were a founding population," she said. "Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together — Europeans by choice and Africans in chains. That's not a very pretty reality of our founding.”

“As a result, Miss Rice told editors and reporters at The Washington Times, "descendants of slaves did not get much of a head start, and I think you continue to see some of the effects of that..."

"That particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today," she said.

Rice later said: "America doesn't have an easy time dealing with race," Miss Rice said, adding that members of her family have "endured terrible humiliations."

"What I would like understood as a black American is that black Americans loved and had faith in this country even when this country didn't love and have faith in them — and that's our legacy," she said.

Wow, was all I could say to that.

What was even more stunning was the relative lack of coverage on this issue.
I was told CNN's "The Situation Room" did a piece on her comments Friday.   But when I surfed the Net to see follow-up stories in other papers, it has pretty much been ignored, except for some briefs.

Why would the mainstream media be so dismissive of Rice's comments? Imagine if Rev. Al Sharpton or Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. said such a thing. Do you think they would have gotten ripped?

The fact of the matter is that Rice was right on the money with her comments, and should be commended. She spoke honestly and openly about the issue, and deserves credit for speaking the truth.

I just wish my colleagues in the media would do a better job at advancing the issue of race in America and our sordid history.

We went bonkers about the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, but when Rice, the nation’s chief diplomat, spoke truthfully, it barely made a ripple.

– Roland S. Martin, CNN Contributor
www.rolandsmartin.com

1. Mary

Her comments were right on the money, and should have front page news, but the main stream media and other politicos wants to and will ignore for as long as possible.

March 31, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  2. Slater

Rice makes her points diplomatically, differentiating her speech from that of Wright. Her words are honest and without blame.

She is right, race prejudice is a birth defect, one that white Americans have as well.

The current following of Obama by young Americans is believed to be what some media reporters say is the generation that has overcome the race issue.

The rest of us are stuck with it till we die. And I hope that is where it goes, to our graves, because it is time to extinguish this torch.

March 31, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  3. kathy

Roland u hit the nail on the head !!!!! unbelievable. Some of your colleagues and or producer dont have the guts to really talk about race , more importantly the ill willed feelings of african americans... If its Rev Wright, main stream goes on and on. They beat the story with 15 second clips every single nite alllll nite . It was hard to watch, I just turned, and not becuz i couldnt listen, but to hear one side only was so unfair, I just turned. Condi THANK YOU, for sharing, It may help some of the media, (even if its secretly done behind closed doors to themselves) come to grips with reality , and thats a start !!! Pat Buchannan should be 1st in line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 31, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  4. Jon

I hope she runs for president when Hillary is done in 2016.

March 31, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Gary Chandler in Canada

ohh !!!The republicans are going to have a field day with this.!!!
    Check out McCain pastor on Google. The republicans really should not invite the comments and beliefs of their religious backers brought out.
    McCain will not campaign in the nasty manner of the Clintons.

March 31, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Gary Chandler in Canada

While I consider Wright's comments irreligious and politically stupid, what gave rise to them? The first words I heard from him, 'the reason people hate Barrack Obama is...' – Was he defending, though making it worse, against racist attacks? If racism didn't exist against blacks, aboriginals, muslims, and blacks against whites, that sermon would not have been spoken. I think Wright's 'intentions' were good, but his delivery was awful.
    I cannot believe, as a man, minister, or marine; he has not , his choice, clarified, defended, or apologised. Step up to the plate Mr Wright, (unless he is senile, then leave him alone.)

March 31, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Barry, IL

Racism is still very alive and kicking in some corners. Racism exists in different sides too. And some of the anger in the US is rooted in racism. Racism i's also a deeply-rooted problem in some areas. But by all accounts, there is a ground-breaking change and improvement for the better since 1960s. And it's also naive to expect that racism problem that lived for generation dies out easily. It evolved and lived for generations, it may take some generations to totally get ride of racism problem from the USA.

March 31, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Trish

Living in small town MN, I do not see any racist. The few people of different nationalities seem to get along very well. There is good and bad in all. If there was a group of young guys walking down the street and if they looked like trouble, I don't care what nationally they are I will be crossing the street ! There is one question that I would like to ask and I would like to have an answer. I agree with Ann why does the Media always divide people by nationalities ? My question is why do some people say I'm a "African American" when I know that they were born and raised in America...they are just plain Americans – No better, No worse than any other American. I don't walk around saying "I'm a French American".....I was born and raised in America.....

March 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Kathy

Someone should send Rice's response to Hannity who is always ripping a major one at Pastor Wright.

I applaud Rice for her comments and can't help but wonder why the media doesn't pick this up.

Is the media itself biased and one sided?

March 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Charlie in Chapel Hill

Yes, racism is a terrible thing.
    But neither John McCain or Hillary Clinton has closely and actively associated with a racist like the Reverend Wright.
    If they had there would be an instant and justified clamor for them to resign from their candidacy.
    It is important to have many more dialogues about racism, but we must include racists like Reverend Wright in the discussion.
    With the revelations about his close relationship with Reverend Wright Barack Obama is not an electable candidate. If he really cares about the Democratic party he will step down and apologize to the American people.

March 31, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Harold

Forget Wright! Forget Pat Robertson! and Forget Billy Graham!

Yes even the great Billy Graham who was advisor to 9 presidents was opposed to a Catholic (John Kennedy) from becoming president and accused "the satanic Jews" of controlling the media (Nioxn tapes of 1972)

Pat Robertson, had his own phrase of "America's chickens coming home to roost" when he declared Katrina was God's retribution for abortions.

Graham, Roberson, or Jeremiah Wright, are not Presidents of the United States and their comments don't matter.

March 31, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Greg Erie PA

Tone is everything, when trying to make a point. This is the difference between an intelligent, articulate women and a ranting angry man.

March 31, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  13. EJ - Ohio

Black children aren't immune from being called ni**ers so I don't see why anyone should try to mask the reality... As far as it relates to that point.

He wasn't calling anyone that word.

It would be different if he said "hey all you ni**ers out there, listen to my message"...

March 31, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  14. jes

Obama has a lot of things against him (1) He is not very smart. (2) He worships a racist church leader. (3) His wife will not be a proud American unless she is appointed first lady. (4) He must consult Oprah before making any decision or she might make him pay back all the money she paid for her own room at the white house.etc. etc.

March 31, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  15. Carol

I agree with Roland Martin, a CNN Contributor, that listening to the full sermons of Rev. Wright helps put the excerpts into context. I wish I could listen to or read the full sermon regarding Clinton and her lack of knowledge on what it is like to be called a “N_____.” I am hopeful that he was delivering a positive message. Without hearing the full sermon I can only wonder “Is this a sermon a parent, black or white, would want their child to hear?”
    Obmama says he is the candidate for change, the candidate who can bring unity to America. In regard to race he said that we will need future generations to really see complete change. Where children in the congregation when Rev. Wright gave his sermon regarding Clinton and her lack of knowledge on what it is like to be called a N______? Did Obmama allow his children to hear this message? It’s hard to imagine that children, listening to Rev. Wright sermons on race, are going to hear a positive message on race relations. Racism is taught. Was Rev. White teaching a message to end racism or was he teaching racism.

The republicans are going to have a field day with this.

March 31, 2008 at 9:52 pm |
  16. Annie Kate

Speaking the truth especially an uncomfortable truth will get passed over a lot of times. Plus with Condi being part of Bush's administration and on the way out the tendency may be to not pay much attention.

Whatever the reason, she was right. I hope we can get to a place in America where we can discuss race without acrimony and learn to respect each person's diversity no matter what it is. The younger generation that is coming into voting age now seems to be able to do that – I hope they teach us old dogs that new trick.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 31, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  17. cobra6911

Roland, I will gladly tell u why it did not get the same time as the so called Rev. (I use the term loosely) Wright. First of all I don't know what you all call a Christian Church in the Black community. From what I've seen you must worship a different Jesus and different bible. Just to let you know in the rest of the christian and even jewish worship services we all don't talk about how we should be afraid of black males walking down the same side walk like all of us "typical White People" do accourding to your candidate Obama. Just to let you know I was raised to accept all people and judge them on there actions NOt the color of their skin. I had HOPE when Obama first started to speak that maybe we could all come together, But now, I am VERY ANGRY and I have been driven farther from Obama and his HOPE and CHANGE. I had more black friends than white friends in high school. And through out life for that matter. Ya know it makes me wonder did ALL those white people that marched during the civil writes movement, and the ones that were killed by the KKK trying to register blacks to register in the south, or, the whites sitting in the Obama rallys now, are we all being played. Did those white kids that died in the south? Did they die for NO reason!! Were they played to?? Ms Rice in her words spoke like a professional. She was not speaking to insight HATE like that other person who is supposed to speak to the teachings of Jesus. No matter what color Jesus is. My 4th generation Grandfather was a Union Officer. He joined the cause because OUR family felt the south and slavery was WRONG!! How did that bnefit me?? I got Afirmitive Action. Roland, can you explain to me how it is ok for the man in the church to say what he said about whites and then Obama just pushes it off like it was nothing. Then, you have Imus and others who are white and are linched because they say what they said??? Was it rght what they said, no!! But if there is going to be a standard lets make it for ALL the people. Not just some of the people. Now surprise me and e mail me I am still waiting for Anderson to respond. What are you people in the media affraid of talking about this issue on the air.
    OBAMA should be ASHAMED!!! ASHAMED!!!! HOPE? CHANGE??

March 31, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  18. EJ - Ohio

"Soon Condi will be free to speak as she wills, and I’m sure we will see that she is really bipartisan. It’s a new day."

The problem is she should be able to freely speak right now. I think that's the problem some have with her.

Speak your mind now and tell people how you really feel. Don't parrot everything your boss says and does – especially with the kinds of gross misstatements & outright lying the Bush administration is guilty of. If the Bush administration cannot accept someone who speaks their mind and tells the truth – they can always find someone else.

March 31, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  19. QA PHX AZ

Ms> Rice provided real truth to Americia. I am pleased she brought our fore fathers into focus.

having been educated in a western NY, we need to look at the fact that northern people are just as racists as southerners. There continues to be a difference. North covert, South overt. And I might add, It is alive and well in2008'

Prior to the civil right movement, I was required to use the "coulerd " bathroom. Or pick up your food at the back window of a cafe. This was very confusing to a 6yr old A/A. That confusion, today, strickes an emotional cord. Lack of trust and isolation to stay safe.

I don't know if people that are white can understand this. But I really do want a diaglog. And not just with the whites that as "Oh you are different" Which gives me the thumbs up i guess????

March 31, 2008 at 9:14 pm |
  20. Independent-woman-voter-for-Obama

Good for Sec. Rice to speak up, sometimes I think she is totally blind to what is going on in our country.

Let's face it, some Americans are still racists and that's why Wright's words stung and insulted so many people. Look at how Muslims are treated in our communities. Seems like our people always need someone to hate, or to blame for the problems of our nations.

However, I believe that the MAJORITY of Americans are fair-minded people, who once they read, or educate themselves and think for themselves can be fair and have been. Sen. Obama's poll numbers are proof that Americans have and are changing. That we, are fair and are willing to give people a chance.

March 31, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  21. Sharon

This is amazing. I just read someones comment about being surprised that Ms. Rice had the guts to comment on 'any subject'. Does anyone pay any attention to the fact that she can hold her own in meetings with the leaders of the Middle East – who aren't known for listening to women – black or white. Never ceases to amaze me...

March 31, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  22. Yvonne, Phoenix, AZ

I applaud Condoleezza Rice her for her honesty and true characterization of America on the issue of race. It has always baffled me as to how folks do not want to understand the ugly consequences of racism on a nation, as if it does not affect them in some way.

I must say I am very disappointed with CNN and their distorted reporting on Rev. Wright comments. Instead of seeking the truth, they have chosen to fuel the fire. Shame on them, they missed out on a golden opportunity to stand above the other networks.

It is written...

"Owe no man anything, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law."
    Romans- 13:8

March 31, 2008 at 8:41 pm |
  23. Annz

Can spoken words be taken as truth depending only upon the person who spoke them?

Who determines which spoken /written words warrant priority? Is it dependent upon the situation involving the country as a whole, or should it be those which can be held in reserve for another time?

Truth never involves the few, it demands the masses if it is to become wisdom for the country in which we live. I, for one, did see the brief review of which you speak and at the time I felt other subjects were of more importance for my upcoming decisions. Until all questions are answered to my satisfaction, the election is my first priority.

Annz

March 31, 2008 at 8:32 pm |
  24. brittany, parker colorado

I think part of the reason it barely made a ripple is because they're different topics. It's easier to dismiss her comments because as a society, we agree with her. It's where we've come from.

Rev. Wright was spewing racist garbage. Of course there was a media frenzy over that. I'm glad it caused a stir, because it shows that we generally don't tolerate racism.

Anyway, very interesting blog =] Hope life is good.

brittany

March 31, 2008 at 8:22 pm |
  25. Bruce

This has really gone too far, with regards to the Rev. Wright's sermon. The contents of the ENTIRE speech were true from start to finish, it is a shame that the Caucasian audience had a problem with the 10-seconds that CNN played over and over again. True reporting would have been the complete contents of the sermon!!!! Face it white America, you did it, don't get mad and call it racism when it is brought back in your face. You beat and raped our grandparents for years, but because it was those good old boys we should forget. I don't think you would be so forgiving!

March 31, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  26. Kathy, Andover

I too am surprised about the minimal coverage. I'm glad I saw the Situation Room's coverage of Miss Rice.

March 31, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  27. Donna

As a black woman, I am baffled by the fact that we as Americans absolutely refuse to acknowledge that racism exists. I think it is easier for someone who has not lived a life in America as a black person to say,"oh let's just move on." I think we can all agree that in order to effectively address any issue, the problem has to be acknowledged. Only then can you address the real underlying issue and move on to a point of resolution and reconciliation.

Reverend Jeremiah Wright has been demonized and belittled for his words spoken. While the delivery may have been offenisve, in essence the words were factual. We as Americans can continue to pretend that we have never harmed others around the world. Don't forget the weapons sold to Iran (George Bush, Oliver North, remember them?).

If we want to dismiss what Rev, Wright was saying in the full context of the sermon, then can we at least ackonwledge Condoleza Rice's comments on race? Why haven't I heard her comments being played 10 times within a five minute span? Just asking a question!!

Also, I don't understand this concept on being color blind. I don't want to live in a color blind society. I want to be recognized as God's creation, as someone of a darker hue. Is my color that offensive to America, that we have to pretend it doesn't exist?

I say all things in a spirit of truth and love!!

March 31, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  28. Ann, MO

Question-Why is it that Barack Obama is called a black man, but Hillary is just called a woman? No race is attached to her. That in itself is racism folks. Whether you like it or not, racism is alive and well in the USA.

Look at our schools and how they divide all of the different races into catagories when they report how the students do on testing. They say it is so they can help learn who needs help, but I believe it has more to do with the government wanting to be able to determine if the white kids are doing ok then they can turn their back on the school because it is expected for kids of different colors to do poorly. Wouldn't it be great if all we wanted to know was how many children were failing, and we demanded that no child should fail? Isn't that what "No child left behind" means?

Why does it always have to be black people that are making statements about the problems of racism in this country? Everytime I turn on the TV and racism is the topic, you have white people saying that there is no problem, and people like Roland Martin have to say that there is a problem. I am white, and I agree with Condi and Barack! More white people have to be able to say yes, it is not as bad as the 1960's in most areas, but we still have a lot of work to do before we all see ourselves as just human instead of a black human, a hispanic human, an oriental human, a middle eastern human, a white human. Oh yes, we don't call us white humans.

March 31, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  29. Spider

Roland,I couldn't wait to get off work and see what you were talking about toady.It sure is freshing to listen to you speak the truth on the race issue.I just read the comment from Beatrice above and I too saw you on Lou Dobbs but only caught the end and was wondering all weekend who the she was that you were refering to.I even watched Lou on the weekend and it was a different show.I'm so glad for you site.I too thought Lous response to wat you said was very condecending.I must say I reall had a different view of Lou until the issue of Rev.Wright and Obama surfaced and I started noticing a different person and I must say its a sad vision of Lou for me someone I watched for years now and had enjoyed now I can barely stand to watch unless you are on.I'm so glad to hear you speak the truth on black issues and defend what black people have had to endure and let it be known that not all of us are looking to be pitied but people need to know and except the fact theat there is racial division in good ol America.Thank you Rev.Wright and have you realized that most of the people commenting negatively about what he said are making the case for what he was speaking on.(LOL, and don't even realize it.Last but not least.Last week I read on the Hffington Post that Andrea Mitchel oF MSNBC did a peice on Hillary Clintons association with a right wing religous organization called "The Family".Can you please do a follow-up on that,please.Thank you so much for all that you do!!

March 31, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  30. Cam

Go Condi!!!!

and roland, who always speak truth!!!

March 31, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  31. Liz -

I do think there is too much complaining and finger pointing. The fact is that America has come a long way in the way it treats its Black citizens. Condi is living proof of that. I do belive Obama is playing the race card to his advantage, and now Condi is palying his game just to help him along. Who is to blame today that "Africans came in chain"? Nobody. This sounds cruel, but maybe if they didn't, Condi would not be where she is today. The point is that you cannot blame today's generation for the mistakes past generations made. Race should have not been an issue in this election. Rev. Wright brought it, Condi is continuing it...let's see who finishes it.

March 31, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  32. Sharon

I love your work Roland. You are so level headed and honest about presenting your point of view. If we can't trust people like Condoleeza Rice and Barack Obama regarding their experience of racial differences as they were growing up – then who can we believe. They know the communities, the issues, the struggles and the degree of successes which have developed. p.s. Lou Dobbs should be ashamed of himself. "cotton ..." and the assertion that he doesn't know anyone who can identify with the problem of having difficulity speaking about racial differences in America. As a white woman with very little cross cultural experience I know what you, Condoleeza and Obama have referred to is a FACT. We only need to listen to the struggles of the past and the ongoing struggles of 'black ghettos', black schools with less support, and how about just the very fact that we are all making so much of a 'black man' being close to getting the party nomination for the Presidential campaign. Now if we didn't notice and didn't need to remark on his historic campaign then we could say there is no difference in the opportunity for the races, but that is just not the case.

March 31, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  33. Jacqueline

Oh, and I agree with you about the coverage, Roland. Your colleagues need something they can sensationalize. I guess they'll old this until the know what Miss Rice will do after the Bush administration is out of office.

If it looks like Miss Rice will be asked to run with McCain or something like that, then they'll be ready with their daggers to go after her spinning, twisting and turning her words EVERY which way they can figure out t do it. They seem pretty crafty that way.

I believe that you and David Bergen are the brightest and most insightful two that CNN has got going for them. There are a FEW others, but their names escape me right now. What amazes me most, is that with all of those fancy degrees from the fancy schools up there on the panels, your team, save you and David, seems to lack and miss A LOT!

Keep on doing what you do, Roland. I got your back! 🙂

JPH, NY

March 31, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  34. Yvonne

The good news is that the divide is no longer between blacks and whites; the divide is between, non-racists and racists. The divide is between the good and the evil. The divide is between truth and lies. And we can safely say that there are more on the side of truth. There are more on the side of good. There are more on the side of being non-racist, and we're made up of Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian. 50 years ago there were more on the side of segregation, lies and hatred. We have come a long way. Are we there yet? No.
    Regarding the media being so dismissive of Rice�s comments, I think they're afraid of saying anything good about the current administration. Soon Condi will be free to speak as she wills, and I'm sure we will see that she is really bipartisan. It's a new day.

March 31, 2008 at 7:34 pm |
  35. SHARON

I am so tired of hearing how Sen. Clinton is getting a raw deal with the press and t.v. coverage.. It seems to me she is the only one they like a talk about. All she and Bill do is cry about how unfair everyone is to them. I really like Obama and hope he wins.

March 31, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  36. Tammy

Secretary of State Rice speaking the truth isn't a ratings grabber and can't be spun like snippets of Rev. Wright's comments. Besides that, she can't kill Obama's campaign. The hope probably was that Rev. Wright's comments would (even though what he was saying was truth also as much as people don't want to admit it). I don't care who gets the conversation going in the nation. We just seriously need to have it long-term and continuously until we can all appreciate each other no matter what our skin color, religion, or gender preference may be. The sad thing is, she is seen as part of the Bush administration, and some will shut her down for that reason alone even though what she has said has all the wisdom in the world.

March 31, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  37. Vic

Race has been used as a political issue to discriminate people and further the selfish interest of few sections for ages now. In the new millenieum where we have bigger issue of global warming and human surival at question we all need to unite as human beings not as where we come or belong to and work towards saving the humanity and making it a safer and better place for our future generations. Leave behind the petty feelings of race and beliefs move towards humanity as one. The media should play the pivotal role in condemning all remarks and comments which are racist.

March 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  38. EJ - Ohio

"The race issue is mainly a southern white and black issue. Almost everyone else has moved on. No one I grew up around had any less respect for blacks than whites."

yeah right...

March 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  39. Beatrice

Roland, I saw you Friday on Lou (I never saw any racism) Dobbs. I thank you for standing up and saying to Lou that Condi Rice was right on with her statement. He seemed shocked. Was his life so secular that he's never seen any type of racism, oh please. I don't believe it for a second. Condi was absolutely right. Racism is a pox on America.

March 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  40. Journey, Arlington, TX

Mr. J, just because it isn't as apparent up north doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've visited Northern states and I can't speak from first-hand experience, but I've certainly observed it and I've met persons of color who live up North who would disagree with you. It's not only a Southern problem, and dismissing it as such only adds to the problem.

Despite my dislike for the administration she works for, I agree with Condoleezza Rice. And kudos to her for saying what she did; I can't imagine that it was easy, and I can't imagine that she didn't get some flack for it, from people like Lou Dobbs who say that she and Obama shouldn't be the moderators on a discussion on race. Because, clearly, white men should be the moderators on such an important discussion.

March 31, 2008 at 7:10 pm |
  41. Jacqueline

I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK! Well, it's about time! I didn't believe that Ms. Rice had it in her. Most African Americans I know, myself included, believed Condi Rice lacked the guts to face such a truth. WHAT A REVELATION! I guess it takes a Barack Obama to get us talking about the issues.

JPH, NY

March 31, 2008 at 7:08 pm |
  42. Mel TEXAS

Racism is such a complex issue , well if u are of a certain race(any) u tend to trust a person of ur own race more than a person f any other race even though the other person is a better person , many people in everyday life do things that can be considered racist if it is put under the spotlight , so i find it hypocrisy to point out at Rev Wright because I think it is taken out of context.

March 31, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  43. Chantel

For those who believe that race is not an issue, and that America is made up of people who have no color, but rather a class, I must disagree. I notice while many primaries and caucuses are being tallied, that many political strategist say things that could be construed as racial… For instance, “Many people in the St, Louis Area are black, so I am sure that the votes will go for Barak Obama. Many People in South Carolina are black; So Mr. Obama will win that state, Just as Jesse Jackson Did”.

Are we pounding on a man who preaches Racial issues, hope and faith in a church to a congregation and letting these casual, almost accepting words be used everyday in the media? It just depends on the story and how bad we “hate” someone I guess. That is another issue though!!!!

March 31, 2008 at 7:01 pm |
  44. Karin

Race is still an issue not only in America but in many other countries too. I think the first step towards any kind of resolution is aknowledging this. Don't say there aren't people that – like Senator Obama said- will cross the street or hold their purse in a thighter grip when they see a black person. But.. the real question is then.. are those people racist?? I think alot of the times they arent. Its grown into them to be like that. There should be more discussion about this issue though. Denying there are racial based issues and saying everthing is just peachy is just like pushing the dirt under the carpet and say you cleaned. The mound of dirt will continue to grow untill you cant ignore it anymore. I commend Miss Rice for saying what she said. More people need to learn it doesn't hurt to talk about it. And A LOT of people need to learn it also doesn't hurt to hear it. Media has an extremely important role in this too. They have the power to open or close , to continue or stop this discussion. But, apparently unless it involves a major celeb. scandall it's just not newsworthy these days.

March 31, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  45. onenibble

After hearing Rev. Wrights racist comments and Obama's comments about "the typical white person", I now understand why there is a race problem in America.

March 31, 2008 at 6:53 pm |
  46. Fay, CA

I generally can't stand listening to anything Condoleeza Rice has to say, but her frank comments on race were pretty much on target and should've received more exposure than they have so far. I'm actually pretty surprised she was willing to even address that issue at all.

March 31, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  47. Joseph Kowalski, North Huntingdon, PA

There are varying degrees of racism, some worse than others, but all forms of racism are harmful. Race is an issue in all parts of this country and until the time comes when people can look at one another as one human race, race will continue to be a problem.

March 31, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  48. Chantel

WOW, this is a wonderful Topic. I am glad that the truth about race is coming out. Many people hate to talk about race. Few black Americans hate to speak about the topic because it causes us to go backwards instead of forward. (We really didn’t come far if few words allow us to be moved back). And when they are white, they may feel that African Americans are only wanting a hand out, from their hard earned money….But that is not true. Condoleezza is a very hard working, and intelligent black woman, And I see no such trait. Because she calls America to remember the struggle of out past, makes her intelligent, not stuck on the past as many choose to believe.

Dialog is what Mr. Obama has asked for in regards to race, but obviously, the media would rather deal with a passionate church sermon and blow it out of proportion. Thank you Mr. Roland, for reporting on a topic that needs to be heard and discussed openly.

March 31, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  49. Mr. J

The race issue is mainly a southern white and black issue. Almost everyone else has moved on. No one I grew up around had any less respect for blacks than whites. It wasn't till I was older and moved south that I bacame aware of the problem. I think each group just keeps the problem going for thier own interest.

March 31, 2008 at 6:36 pm |
  50. Taj

America has come a full circle & ripe now. It is time to think that all people living in America are one. There is no more black America, white America, asian America etc, etc.The time is perfect. I think the Massiah is Barrack. Let's march forward leaving all prejudices behind. Amen.

March 31, 2008 at 6:34 pm |