March 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/21/08

John King is in for Anderson tonight. And since he's our Chief National Correspondent and traveled for the past week to Iraq and Europe with Sen. John McCain we'll cover that tonight.We'll also have the investigation into the candidates passport files, Gov. Bill Richardson's endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama, and some more of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Billi

Why is Senator Lieberman right there behind Senator McCain? He seems to step in when Senator McCain misstates. I have great respect for Senator McCain but it seems to make him look like he needs a shadow.

March 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Teris

Debra i think many are regretting their votes for Obama, now that the truth comes out, I think people need to think long and hard at Obama's slim chances of winning the National election.

Slim to none.

March 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  3. hopper

Is there just something wrong with me? I just don't get it, from McCain's spiritual advisor, to Rev Falwell, why is the hate that they have spewed just so different than Rev Wright? Granted that may be directed more at groups of people (gay, catholics, pro-choice), instead of the government, but hate is hate.
    Maybe it's my generation, but I don't see this affecting my decisions in any way if I was a member of the church. I may not attend those sermons, but a church is a community of so much more than the pastor. If you don't agree with your pastor who is like a family member, just imagine the discussions you could have.

Just my 2 cents!

March 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Pat,NYC

Oprah left this church years ago. Being as close as she is to Obama, I am sure that she told him to disassociate himself with this church. He obviously thought it helped him politically to stay with Reverend Wright.

March 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  5. lisa

Rev Wright apparently is a fire and brimstone preacher and his congregation likes him that way, However I disagree with Bay, when she says he preached about hating White people, all he said America is run by white people, which is true and that the government invented Aids to kill black people which may or not be true....

March 21, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    Can you tell me that they already fired from Justice Department including one is already suspenison, I heard C. Rice all apologized to 3 candidates?

March 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Brenden

Way to go Rolland! Obama has given us a chance to prove we are who we say we are as a nation. I have faith we live in a time when race will no longer determine the outcome. I knew there was more to the story, and the good Reverend, like many preachers, is exactly half Wright! It tells us only that Obama can, as he has shown us again and again, manage to consider more than one perspective. It is wonderful to have someone speak to us as adults.

God Bless America

March 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  8. james

Did Govenor Richardson Vote they way His state voted? Well I guess not. What about T. Kennedy? What about Kerry? I guess these super duper delegates don't trust the american voter. Super delegates should vote the will of the majority of the people in their state or district. Regardless.

March 21, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  9. P. Hogan

Anderson, I would like to see the sermon of pastor hagee, which John McCain contacted for support, about the catastrophe of Katrina. But I am sure this wont be played!!!!!!!

March 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Debra S

I would like to know how many people have voted for Senator Obama in the primaries or caucuses and now regret it due to Rev. Wright

March 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  11. tommy

This does make many white people including me- wonder if Obama has hatered/resentment towads whites like the preacher does.

March 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Teris

Here ...here...Mary Ann....well spoken ...and I agree with everything you said....

March 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  13. J.R.

John

Nice to see you again on 360.

March 21, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Brian Persaud

If Obama respected a white conservative pastor who condemned homosexuality, Obama would also be feeling the heat. It doesn't matter if they are from the South or if they are "passionate" or not. Thats not the issue here. The issue is Wright's viewpoints, cut the spin.

March 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Ronda

Roland is so correct. I grew up in a predominantly white Christian church. Everything I heard week after week was the "fire and brimstone" of hell if we didn't clean up our act as sinners...

It's not just the African-American churches, or even southern churches. This is religion, and in some cases, there are extremists standing behind the pulpit. You don't just give up your church because of one or two comments you've heard.

Everyone is making it seem like Rev. Wright has preached like this every week in his 20-30 years of ministry. Maybe we should look at the # of great inspirational things this man has said as well. We've all said things that are questionable in our lives – I'm sure every one of us could think of a statement or two we would take back – if we could.

March 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  16. deb in az

john i dont care what roland says about this man ... this minister is way out there.........i did listen to this whole sermon that roland has on the website and wright is filled with hate,,,,, i give everyone the benefit of the doubt .....obama was sitting in this church for at least some of these sermons.....after listening to whole sermon on the 911 deal, i would suggest that you take a good long look at the obama rallys....

March 21, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Teris

No carolyn Richardson doesn't owe the Clinton's anything, it just shows his character as a backstabber that he is not endorsing his friends, the Clintons, as he has been for many years.

You don't stab your friends in the back and throw them under the bus when they need your support, or perhaps maybe you do, but I don't.

His endorsement does not even align with his state's voters, so to me he is getting a job out of this, a possible Vice President slot. thats about it. ..so he is a prostitute.

March 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  18. erica hill

John King is just back from traveling with Sen McCain - I'm not sure where he found the energy for 3 hrs of Sit Room and now this show. Looking fwd to his insight on that trip

March 21, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Billi

Roland, Revered Martin Luther King was VERY pasionate. He never spoke like Jeremiah Wright. They eemerged from the same era. Black Liberation Theology is not a message of hope.

March 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  20. john king

thanks for the kind words .. sorry if i am a bit sluggish!

richardson is an interesting guy .. we had a fun chat earlier on sitroom ...he clearly wants back in the game some.

hard for the clintons to say it doensnt matter when they spent so much time personally lobbying him

March 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

skm, I agree with you. Why would Obama sit in such a hateful church. It just seems odd that someone could sit in a chruch like that and not be offended.

March 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Keena

Okay enough of Bill Richardson. I want to know more about Hillary Clinton making a statement on St. Patrick's Day about when she was the first lady she landed in Bosnia and had to escape enemy fire or something like that. However in her documents as first lady nothing like that was ever recorded and further more if had happened I'm sure it would have made national news at the time. She has a lot of discrepencies between her years of "experience" as first lady and I don't know the truth. I'd like to see some more fact checks.

March 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Debra S

Thank you for your input Gretchen; greatly appreciate it

March 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Brent

If you are going to go into dissecting pastors, which i think is ridiculous, why no in depth look at Hagee and his outrageous statements about catholics, gays and the armageddon? McCain went out of his way to get his endorsement.

March 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Florida Democrat

Parker thanks for pointing out the opportunism and the flip flop of Governor Richardson (he's not supporting the winner of his state – as he recommended other superdelegates do). He waited until after the revotes in Florida and MIchigan were defeated – which increases Obama's chances of winning the nomination – to give his endorsement. Too bad Richardson doesn't have the loyalty to the Clintons, who made his political career, as Obama does to his pastor.

March 21, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  26. howard

between you and fox news it seem that you are trying to dictate who to vote for in the elections.... both channel are showing their true colors.i am 50 yrs i have never seen anything so bad reportin g and bias in my life.it like you been paid to hurt obama ...why are you showing the same bs everynight???????i am sick and tired of it ...get real or go off the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i am a blk america and i agreed with what mr wright say...between i seen all the hate and mistrust that ur race put us..it is total evil on how you trying to keep this in the news

March 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  27. skm

Why does Roland expect that it is ok to have that kind of talk in ANY CHURCH???

March 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Lesli

Roland

I didn't get a chance to get on your blog this afternoon, but I appreciated your blog and your response. Thank you for putting things in perspective. It still doesn't excuse the delivery of the message in the tone. As my last blog stated, this Pastor is full of hatred and it isn't about a black pastor. I had a fire and brimstone preacher and he made me afraid of God's love.

March 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Allison

When are we going to stop talking about Rev. Wright and talk about the issues that matter to the American people? I'd like to hear more on both Clinton and Obama's plans for the economy and Iraq. They both gave speeches providing more details this week on both topics... Where is the coverage for those topics which according to the polls are at the top of the American people's minds.

March 21, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. erica hill

Jolene, it's apparently softer than alpaca and is almost waterproof - the samoyed fur, that is. It sounded a little strange to me at first, but the more i learned, maybe it's not so crazy. The fure is spun into yarn, cleaned, reportedly VERY warm... maybe this couple is on to something!

March 21, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Yogi

I am very happy to see Richarson support Obama. Obama is the only one who cares about uniting this county. The news need to stop talking about race and Obama. When I look at the new, I see a lot of racism from certain news anchors.

March 21, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. skm

Hi Erica, I waited to see the first part before blogging today.

This Rev.Wright thing gets more and more interesting.. and the context is not condoning it either. WHY WOULD BARACK SIT IN THIS HATEFUL CHURCH that is SO ANTI-AMERICAN???
    I agree with Bay Buchanan on this.

March 21, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Carolyn Bynum

Why is it so difficult for people to believe that Richardson is following his conviction that Obama is the best democratic candidate? He does not owe support to Hillary because her husband gave him a position in his administration.

March 21, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Janna

Jolene, I agree with you. To each his own. I do believe the majority of pet lovers find it very CREEPY, though, to wear the fur from your friend.

March 21, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Steve

The coverage of CNN of the endorsement by Gov. Richardson for Sen Obama, really shows the bias of this network. Did you actually call Gov. Richardson a "cheerleader" and as "giddy as a schoolgirl". Gov Richardson is very well respected and important player in the Democratic Party. To characterize him in this way, is like trying to marginalize his importance. This sounds like the Clinton campaign, who before today thought he was very important, until he chose Obama.,,,Please stop the race baiting on your network with playing the Rev. Wright videos. Where is the breaking news on Rev. Hagee and John McCain?? You are starting to report like FOX News.

March 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I still find the sermon hard to listen to. Perhaps if he had delivered the speech without screaming in such an angry way. Lowered the volume of the sermon, so to speak.

March 21, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Laura - Charlotte NC

Having looked over Roland Martin's article regarding Rev. Wright, I still don't understand his defense of his sermons message which seems to many to be hatred, rascism and blame??
    I learned about this quite awhile ago, and without the soundbyte, made the decision not to support Obama.
    His questionable past acquaintances and limited political experience
    don't win my vote.

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Teris

You know the media is not going to be deciding this election, the voters do, and until the last state, and the last vote is counted including FLORIDA and MICHIGAN.....this race is not decided.

Richardson asking Hillary to stop fighting is just ridiculous and is a slap in the face to women of the United States. Its telling women to step aside, to step down, to follow the men, who have basically destroyed the economy, invaded the wrong country, disparaged the poor and held healthcare back ..from the needy and the sick.

Mr. RIchardson, that is why you did not get the nomination, HIllary has every right to follow this to the convention and she will and she will be all the better for it...its called Democracy.

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Brian Persaud

Context? Unless he was quoting another crazy preacher, I think context is irrelevant.

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Parker

As an Independent, there is few things I have never liked about the democratic party. First, democrats fall in love with a nominee candidate quickly without vetting. Barack Obama is a excellent speaker. Via Obama's resume, his leadership skills have yet to be proven. No disrespect to Senator Obama, but for Bill Richardson to state "once-in-a- lifetime leader", to date, there is no evidences to validate that statement. Potentially?!

The timing of Bill Richardson endorsement seem to convenient. Barack Obama desperately needs a headline change from the Rev Jeremiah Wright scandal. So, out steps Bill Richards from the shadows, for more face time. Ending the week on a endorsement. Positive headline change for Barack going into the holiday weekend. Gold points for Bill Richardson to move closer to the top of Barack Obama's short list for VP.

While we have the freedom to support who ever we wish. I find it disheartening, for people like Bill Richardson, willing to step into the lime-light to endorse Senator Obama. Bill Richardson, Al Gore, and many others, would be no name fame aging government employees, if not for the hand of Bill Clinton. I guess that politics in action – no loyality. Maybe, I am just to loyal.

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Juan

Hi John,
    I am a Hispanic American and I lost some respect for Bill Richardson. Now that it's becoming more clear that Clinton is not going to win the nomination, Richardson abandons the Clintons and tries to enhance his political career by endorsing Obama. The Clintons practically built his career. Where is the loyalty?

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Lesli

I don't really care what the sermon was about, but I really can't understand why any pastor would use that phrase – I'm sure that it is not a way God wishes to be spoken of by anyone, least of all a Pastor.

March 21, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar

Happy Friday to you Erica!

March 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Gretchen

@ Billi and Debra–even if they just apportioned the delegates with any reference at all to the electoral college and still did them proportionally, Sen Clinton would have an insurmountable lead. I don't see why they do it this way, then force a situation where the super delegates have to swoop in and state the obvious. It's just silly.

March 21, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  45. EJ - Ohio

Bill Richardson for Secretary of State!!!

March 21, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  46. TN Dave

Hillary has won 3 state contest (RI, OH, TX) since Feb 5th and Obama has won 14 state contest during the same period. Keep in mind Obama will end up with more delegates from TX than Hillary so that is actually a win for him. If she was not Bill's wife she would have been ran out of this contest by now. If the role was reversed I know MSM would have ran Obama out of dodge. So who are we kidding, this race should be over.

March 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Jolene

Erica: What's so wrong with knitting up a sweater from dog hair? We do it with goats, sheep, alpaca and rabbit hair? But then again, I'm a knitter.

March 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Stela

Enough with the Reverend Wright story. Let's move on . . .

March 21, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  49. paul springfield ma.

I'm so glad gov. richardson endorsed obama,I was for richardson in the begining,I thought he would have made a good president, but he didn't make the cut, both obama and richardson would be a great ticket.

March 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Sam

Happy Friday to you too Erica!...

March 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |