March 21st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/21/08

John King is in for Anderson tonight. And since he's our Chief National Correspondent and traveled for the past week to Iraq and Europe with Sen. John McCain we'll cover that tonight.We'll also have the investigation into the candidates passport files, Gov. Bill Richardson's endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama, and some more of Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons.We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar

I can't believe this all dogs of hair! what they are thinking???? oh no!

March 21, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. erica hill

Took me a minute to get up and running - Happy Friday, everyone!

March 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Billi

Debra....Senator Clinton would be ahead if it were winner take all......BIG states matter. Conversely, the Republicans would be battling if it were NOT winner take all. Kind of puts this all in a different perspective, doesn't it? The media could not have had the love affair with Senator Obama if it had been winner take all.....the numbers would have not supported it.

March 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

Dog sweaters? That's so gross and simply wrong and tasteless! What's with these people?

March 21, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Teris

This is just another anti-Clinton democrat who's opinions matter very little, just like an alcoholic Kennedy. I wouldn't put much weight in Richardson's endorsement, after all he is a backstabber with little crediibility. His state voted for Hillary, and so he is going against the voters in his own state. This is getting bloody -the anti-Clinton democrats in the DNC especially need to stop these attacks, and get the votes from Florida and Michigan counted, this is not a very pretty picture for democracy. I believe now that Iraq has a better chance of less manipulation that we do with the Democrats. OBama cannot win the national election, its just to impossible, with the Rev. Wright racism.

March 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Friend

Hey Erica Hill...love that smile.

Is your passport OK? LOL

March 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  7. Lesli

I don't really get it. If Hillary Clinton had the support of many black people, then why do people keep saying that O'bama is the person who can unite the country. To me it seems O'bama is the one who has caused division in the party becuase he is running against Clinton. I don't get why everyone is so enamoured with O'bama. I see someone without experience and it scares me.

March 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Ken Blane, West New York, NJ

The polls yesterday showed that, given some days since his eloquent, historic, and courageous speech on Monday, Senator Obama had made up some of the ground he had lost to Senator Clinton last week. Today, the polls show that he has made up a lot more and almost drawn even with Senator Clinton. Give Obama a few more days and he'll be right back where he was before the Rev. Wright controversy. After all, he says that he is betting on the goodness and generosity of the American people...and I, as one American, think that he will be proven to have placed a very good bet.

March 21, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Buckly, NYC

Glad to hear about Gov. Richardson endorsing Obama today. It seems most of the news about his campaign as of late has been so negative. At least people are talking about him though. The only thing I hear about Clinton these days is her pleading for MI and FL primaries to count. My opinion is that if you break the rules, there should be consequences.

March 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Billi

I find it disingenuous of Richardson to say Senator Clinton should get out when he told her she should before Texas and Ohio! WHy didn't he wait until PA and Indiana are over?

March 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I don't think Hillary should drop out or Obama. Both have put too much into this to walk away this soon. There's still elections to come.

March 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

Thank you David Gergen for finally saying something positive about Hillary again!

March 21, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Parker

Richardson on Superdelegates Last Month: Vote the Way Your State Votes. (Oops!)

Superdelegate and new Obama-backer Gov. Bill Richardson told the New York Times in February that a superdelegate's vote "should reflect the vote of my state, it should represent the vote of my constituency. It shouldn’t be because you’re a fund-raiser or a big-shot delegate. Superdelegates should reflect their state or constituency. If superdelegates decide this nomination, it’s going to look like big-shot politicians and fat-cats decided who should be president."

Er…Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-NY, won New Mexico, Governor.

March 21, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Gretchen

@American Abroad–If you really want to make yourself nutty, look at how they apportion delegates relative to electoral votes. If you live in DC, your vote will count about 5 times more in a Democrat primary than it will in November, for example. If you live in Texas, you only get 3/4 of a vote in the primary relative to November. Crazy making!

March 21, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Bonnie/ New Port Richey, FL

Bill Richardson's endorsement is about as valuable as Ted Kennedy's was. He didn't take Massachussetts or Texas .

March 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Debra S

I think Hillary would be ahead in the delagate count based on winner take all but if someone disagrees, please let us know

March 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  17. mike

How much time do you have to devote to the Richardson endorsement? This network and program have gone so pro-Obama - it's not even subtle at this point. You devoted 30 minutes last night to Obama's passport file being breeched...where's the equal Clinton coverage?

March 21, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Rose San Bernardino, Ca

Hillary is to much of a lady to be mad. Her mother tought her better then that.

March 21, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Ronda

Hi John, I appreciate Gov. Richardson's endorsement of Obama – he is right that the democratic party needs to name the nominee and move forward towards the general election. Obama will still pull through all of this mess with Rev. Wright, because he DIDN'T abandon a friend/mentor of 20 years....just like he won't abandon us when he is president.

Glad to see you charing tonight!

Ronda, St. Louis

March 21, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  20. An American abroad

What would the delegate count for the Democrats be if it was "winner take all" the way the Republicans have it? With all the possible scenarios discussed, that result is never talked about.

March 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Alison

I applaud Gov. Richardson' endorsement. A great pcik

March 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar

Carolynn,
    Yes, Anderson is ok now....... thanks......

March 21, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. DD

I'm not surprise that Richardson endorse Obama. Congratulation Obama. All the heat you received this week you do deserve some good news!

March 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Debra S

What did Senator Obama offer Governor Richardson? V.P possibly

March 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Rose San Bernardino, Ca

Hi John, will miss Anderson tonight...

Did you ask John McCain is he still going to leave our soldiers in Iraq if he becomes President and how long? And who will pay for it?

March 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Jolene

Hi John: Welcome back to the U.S. I'm finding Richardson more likeable now than when he was running for President. Go figure.

March 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

.@ julie, or maybe he just sees a chance at the vice spot? since it looks like obama is gonna be the candidate.
    Richardson is a phony. I used to like him.not anymore!

March 21, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  28. Sheri L

Finally, my prayers are answered!

This is an outstanding pairing.

Go Obama/Richardson for prez/VP!!

March 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Angela, Ottawa, Canada

Bill Richardson sounds like a pretty typical Obama supporter – that was high praise in his endorsement.

I wish I had that much faith in him.

March 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Lorie.
    I was also surprise Richardson endorsed Obama this morning on CNN. yes, The Clintons are so disappoint with him!

March 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Sam

John King & Erica Hill...I Love You!

Question: Do you honestly think that American's doubt ALL of what Obama has stood for, all that he has said, and even written about...just because of his pastor

Your thoughts?

March 21, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Lesli

This support from Bill Richardson, a close friend must be very hurtful to both Bill and Hillary Clinton. I'm not certain it will make an difference for Senator O'bama though.

March 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  33. Carolynn

If the files of three extremely protected and important American citizens have been illegally accessed, how secure can the files of people *not* running for president be? Not very, I'd say.

Is Anderson okay? He has barely been on AC360 all week! 🙁

March 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  34. julie

Hi John,
    Sure like your delagate board...pretty cool.
    I'm thrilled that Gov. Richardson endorsed Sen. Obama. I would have thought that since he was close to the Clintons, he would have endorsed Clinton. But he sees an opportunity to unite this country and he sees a real leader. I hope the media does not continue to fuel division, race, etc. WE NEED TO UNITE THIS PARTY BEHIND SENATOR OBAMA!

March 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

Makes me think of Richardson as ungrateful! The Clintons gave him a career, he should have endorsed Hillary.

March 21, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Rose San Bernardino, Ca

What is really going on with the investigation into the candidates passport files? Why now find out three months later.

March 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. john king

that was funny (not) the state department initially wanting to keep private the names of the contractors snooping in private information ....your government at work ....

March 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I am surprised that Richardson endorsed Obama. The Clinton's must be disappointed.

March 21, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Lesli.
    I agree with you....... I don't trust goverment who snooped all 3 candidates.......... they have no right snoop their private life!

March 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Cindy

John,
    Glad to see ya back!! You are the best sub!!

Cynthia, Ga.

March 21, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Saera El Paso, TX

is it just these three candidates, or could it have been more?

March 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Dahlia

Hi John:

I am so glad for the Richardson endorsement for Obama. That is HUGE! Keep up the good work Obama.

March 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Allison

John, you are one of my favorite people on CNN. You do such a fabulous job of fair and balanced reporting. I love to watch you and Candy Crowley in particular. Thanks!!!

March 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Sandi

John:

Great to see you again tonight. Watched Situation Room today and it was a great show. Love your political analysis on all that is going on right now.

March 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

There seems to be a pattern with people looking into pasport files. Perhaos there needs to be better security concerning them.

March 21, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

Hi John,
    Welcome to AC360 tonight, have nicde be here tonight.

March 21, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Lesli

Wow, this is getting out of hand. Maybe there needs to be more security on these passport computer files.

March 21, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  48. john king

my passport is tired ...iraq, jordan, israel, germany and back to dc in the past week !

so if my live blogging is a tad incoherent (or more so than usual) i beg forgiveness in advance .......thanks for spending your friday evening with us.

March 21, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Missy

John, it is great to see you tonight! You totally rock. We'd like to see Miles there with you.

March 21, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

John, great to have you in the anchor chair tonite.

March 21, 2008 at 10:00 pm |