March 20th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/20/08

We’ve got breaking news tonight. Sen. Barack Obama's passport records at the State Department have been breached on three separate occasions.  This story is still unfolding.  Candy Crowley and Zain Verjee will be on with the most up to date information.

We’ll also take a look at the latest out of Michigan which broke the rules by holding an early primary.  Their delegates were stripped and it looks like there will not be a re-vote.

We’ll open the blog to comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Priyanka

In regards to the breach- why did contractors have access in the first place? Was big brother not recording or watching? Isn't there an alert or some kind of red flag triggered when certain files or people are accessing records? The State needs a better or update their security system.

Just like IRS, how many times did IRS employees access Former President Clinton's tax return?

March 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Gretchen

I love this blog! We all hear the same things and respond so differently. What a fantastic forum to air our differences. Anderson, you've been called everything else, so let me speculate that you are secretly a Green and a Libertarian. Hopefully that will round out all your many political positions. Good night!

March 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Elysse DeVeaux

The breach of Sen. Obama's passport file should be investigated completely. It should not be dissmissed. If a presidential candidate passport files can be breached without consequence what does that say for the rest of us.

FL and MI should have not pushed the primary vote up to Jan. They knew the consequences before hand. It is not fair that Clinton agreed to not campaign in these states and now that she needs them she wants the vote to count.

March 20, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Peter Parker

Florida and Michigan delegates should be seated in the DNC Convention in August. Howard Dean should do justice by splitting the delagates half and half. In this way, neither HIllary nor Barack gets an advantage.

Let's take note that Florida and MIchigan law makers broker the DNC ruling for early primaries.

March 20, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Alys

Lilibeth- rays are not dangerous, both that woman's and Steve Irwin's accidents were FREAK accidents, and extremely abnormal behaviour for rays.

March 20, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. JoAnne

Do you intend to give Hillary equal time on your show? You are a one man wonder to get Obama out of this mess he finds himself in.

March 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Janet

I'm going to say it again. The Constitution protects our right to vote, and nobody, no state, not even the U.S. Government can take it away. The Supreme Court can enforce this. It is our right to vote and have it counted.

March 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. hans bos

how can our politcal leaders of florida and michigan can not be held accountable for the mess they have created. how ironic in florida we have a rep. gov. make the decition to move up the premairy. why would we vote in nov 2008 if we cannot even vote for our own candidate. we givecrtic ti country like cuban and venezuala for fixing election can anyone explain the differents in this? hura from our democratic system.

March 20, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Cathy

Thank you...thank you...thank you AC 360 Panel.

Everyone (all races) is guilty of mainge sterotypes about other people based on races, sex, weight, etc. Specifically in regards to race, these sterotypes are usually not true but it is still what a lot of people think to themselves. It will take an honest attempt a person to be exposed to other races to see that most of the sterotypes of blacks, whites, asians, middle easterns, etc...just isn't always true. If a person is black, it doesn't mean they love basketball, if a person is of middle eastern descent, they are not a terrorist, etc. People just need to learn to judge a person on their own merits and not the color of their skin.

In regards to Obama's statements on the PA radio interview, I'm very sure that when he said that his grandmother was a "typical white" person, it was VERY true during those times. Unfortunately, a lot of the sterotypes of blacks and other races are still believed by Americans today. Just because you may sterotype, does not mean you are racist. Instead, you just need to be better informed and learn about that certain individual before you make any judgments of that certain individual.

The fact that Obama spoke and continues to speak the truth about a very touchy subject should not be held against him. Instead, it should show Americans that he is real and a genuine person and just does NOT say what he thinks American want to hear so he can get voted in.

March 20, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Jay Terry

The only concern I have about government probing into Senator Obama's personnel records is this information could be used to frame or kill him. This may be what Rev. White was talking about when his comments was related to past behavior of the U.S. Goverment. The history of JFK and Dr. King proves that the government can not always be trusted. Some evil people work there too.

March 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Betty Ann

Passport security breach. Isn't politics a dirty business?
    It is truly amazing what they will stoop to.

March 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  12. CC concerned viewer

This whole Michigan and Florida debacle is a great example of the law of unintended consequences and the unpredictable impact of folks' decisions...... when you choose a penalty that is potentially unenforceable, you've wasted your authority and your credibility. That's what the DNC did. And it's come back to haunt them and the party.

The state party leaders disenfranchised their own voters, took a gamble that they could muscle the national leadership and play a key role by going early; it was a big risk. They lost, at least a round. But it's really not tenable from a voter's point of view. It has big implications for the system as a whole. Now they want a bailout. Remind anyone of Wall Street?

March 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  13. aric

Everybody is looking at it from the angle, if a white woman is walking down the street and sees a black man; she gets scared! But what if a black woman is wlaking down the street ans sees a white man...does she gets scared??? So, are we all racist or just scared of violence?? Just curious to know what your thoughts are???

March 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Robin - Chicago

Sen. Clinton cannot change the rules in the middle of the game. The votes from Michigan and Florida should not count. It is unfortunate that the states held their primary elections in direct oppostion the the DNC's directive.

March 20, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Susie Schwalge

the comment that a white woman walking down a nearly empty street about to encounter a young black man would cross street . . . I am a 53 year old white woman and I would be concerned if a young white man (or a man of any race or color) was dressed in such a way that indicated to me that he lacked self esteem or respect for others. I was born and raised in Hawaii so perhaps I'm different but the color of someones skin does not concern me in the least. It is the appearance of the person and the gut sense one has that should be indicators, not simply the color of one's skin. I must add I've lived on the "mainland" for 23 years – in the south and in the northwest so its not that I don't know about racism, I've learned about it as an adult.

Hooray for Sen Obama for trying to bring the racial barriers down. Its about time!! It is an uphill battle, I know, but in his speech he defined the barriers and gave reasons for them that we all are aware of. I must share that I had a Japanese teacher in the 6th grade in rural Hawaii and there were three of us haoles (white) kids in the class. Mr. Ninomiya was incredibly cruel to us, verbally and physically. I hated him for years until, as an adult, I realized that he and his family were probably interred during the war and he must have been very bitter about it. I forgive him and pray his soul rests in peace after that incredible injustice. I never habored any dislike or hatred for other Japanese because of his mistreatment of me – clearly, nothing like the black people in this country have endured.

March 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Cheryl, NJ

Re: The typical white person comment

I think all three of the commentators hit it on the head. Sometimes parsing ad noseum (sp?) has no value. You and CNN COULD lead the way by allowing only meaning dialogue re race. CNN is in the world of 'sound bites' because that's the way management decided to set it up. Does that mean it can't be modified/changed? I honestly think that there are white and black people who would be willing to learn more about the other if there is a 'safe' forum.. I'm not talking about physical safety, but an environment where their views can be aired by commentators (or themselves) without the worry/fear that someone with a differing view will call them bigoted or racist.

Just think Anderson, it could be groundbreaking!!!

March 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  17. melissa florida

All this talk abt Obama been a racist is crazy. I am an African American who works in customer service I just a couple weeks ago was called a colored person. It did not offend me because it was an older person and I have enough confident to know who I am I don't need no one to justify who I know I am. Obama went above and beyond the call of duty and if people feel they cannot vote for him because of a few back days then you need to serious look at why you wanted to vote for him in the first place.

March 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Sonia - Houston, TX

Don't blame Obama for the voting situation in Michigan or Florida. It's not his fault they broke the rules and now they are paying the consequences for their actions. The people of Florida and Michigan need to take this issue up with the elected officials in their states who made the decision to break the rules. They cheated themselves by trying to cheat. Maybe in the general election they will get to cast their votes, honestly. Irony is something else.

March 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Jolene

Re-vote or not, it will all be on the superdelegates to decide.

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Rose...San Bernardino, Ca

Never say never...if Hillary can win these states. Remember strange things have happened during this campaign.

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Lilibeth

Yikes, first Steve Irwin, now the woman, who wasn't even in the water! These rays are dangerous!

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  22. deb in az

how would a contract worker have access to his passport file? it sounds more like george bush to me......i dont think he is deportable.......i mean john mccain needs a whole lot of help here......

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Gabi

I am a mixed kid/teen just like Obama...I know what he means about the white grandmother making racist comments...My grandma is exactly the same. She constantly speaks poorly of certain groups and races..Not to be controversial but she says things like, "Blacks are lazy." She makes faces when they walk by etc. My sister and I can not stop ourselves from cringing when she says these things at the table, but somehow everyone in my family gets along. The adults at the table joke about the comments and even agree. Now I wish that this did not occur, but it does. This is due to the different society older people today were raised in. It is almost impossible for these elder people, or anyone raised among these kinds of beliefs to change their beliefs. Instead of trying to get them change their views, why can't we just move forward and teach the next generation what is right? Let us not dwell on the issue that there is racism in the country and begin to focus on making a better future for the next generation.

March 20, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  24. Florida Democrat

Is there some censorship going on at CNN? I've tried to post two comments about a potential relationship between the Republican's (who control the State Dept, i.e. passport records) and Obama's pulling ahead in the Democratic primaries. Why won't you post this observation – while another person suggested Clinton has something to do with the security breach. The records in question were under Republican control and Obama was starting to look like the Democratic frontrunner when his files were compromised.

March 20, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Tamara/ Stone Mountain Ga.

First lets find out if it is passport information on his travels or just his passport application.

Obama needs to be able to run a campaign about issues and now we have another distraction for him.

Can we get back to the campaign issues so we can elect Hillary as our nomination.

March 20, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Maria from CT

The stench isn't coming from the Obama side of the campaign. He has clearly shown that the race he is running is one of dignity. No one following this race would believe he would breach his own records.

March 20, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  27. A. Banyon

If Obama's passport records are the only ones that were breached and this type of action is uncommon, then one would have to question why anyone (contractors or civil servants) in the state department would be looking at his record and what they are seeking to find (exploit). I think this is evidence that those responsible are just getting started and that the Obama campaign should buckle up for a very bumby ride!

March 20, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  28. kay

I think Obama's campaign group put that picture out so they could blame Clinton.Now Trish,Pa. in is blaming the Clintons for this.He is pandering to the media because his numbers are falling.He is trying to clean up the mess his lies,racist words,his preacher,Rezko and others have created.
    The press (so called impartial reporters,ha,ha) failed the their readers and listeners because you need to read between every line.
    Where is Obama's tax returns and Illinois senate papers?Have you asked?Start digging before its to late.

March 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Betty Ann

The only fair thing to do is count the people's vote

March 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  30. myra

Using a phrase "typical white man" means having a stereotype about white people, is it not?

March 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Friend

Hi, everyone. A busy night here at AC 360. We’ve got the latest on this passport breach for you… my question? What were they looking for in Obama’s file?

Hi erica hill nice smile.
    They are probably investigating him for terrorism he does have a Muslim name!! after all.

March 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  32. erica hill

Chanel, I hope that's what the conversation will be - just honest dialogue.

March 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |