March 20th, 2008

Gergen: How Hillary grabs the nomination

Hillary Clinton's detour yesterday to Michigan reflects a clear understanding within her campaign that much could hinge upon what happens there in coming hours. If the Democratic state legislature leaves for a two-week vacation this afternoon without resolving to hold a make-up primary, her chances of wresting the nomination from Barack Obama could diminish sharply.

ALT TEXT

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton holds a 'Solutions for America' event in Detroit, Michigan. Clinton came to Detroit to attempt to generate support for a Michigan democratic primary do-over.

It has been apparent for some time that Clinton's best strategy – perhaps her only strategy – is to win lop-sidedly in Pennsylvania, then rack up a string of late victories in North Carolina, Indiana, West Virginia, and Kentucky so that she could argue that while still behind in pledged delegates, she had won the second half of the season and the two candidates were basically tied.

She could then plausibly look to re-dos in Florida and Michigan as an "overtime" and with victories there (almost certain in Florida, likely in Michigan), she would be in a reasonable position to persuade superdelegates (and the party) that she is more electable.

But take Florida and Michigan off the table and the Clinton game plan becomes much more difficult.

Even if she were to win all of the states above, the lack of new votes in Florida and Michigan would mean the campaign would end with Obama still ahead in delegates, states, and total votes.

For Obama supporters, it would then seem very unfair for Democratic bigwigs to strip him of the crown.  Indeed, in light of the controversy over Reverend Wright, as Chuck Todd of NBC argued yesterday, African-Americans might read such a move as Democrats trying to protect their white vote – an interpretation that could shatter the party.

That's why Clinton is trying so hard to keep prospects alive in Michigan – and even Florida. And why she is stepping up pressure on Obama by blaming him if they don't take place. Efforts to blame him over the Florida fiasco seem entirely misplaced: The opprobrium belongs to Charlie Crist and the Republican legislature and remember, too, that both Clinton and Obama supporters in Congress and the state legislature didn't like the re-do plan. In Michigan, it was a Democratic governor who supports Clinton who signed on to the early primary and helped to create this mess. Clinton can hardly claim clean hands here, either.

This is getting down in the weeds, but if you are a political junkie, bear with me for a moment. Even though her own supporters helped to create the Michigan mess, Clinton does have a good argument that Obama partisans are dragging their feet on a re-do there. But the Obama people have a legitimate rebuttal that people who voted for the GOP candidates earlier this year should not be banned from voting in a re-do in Michigan – that is only fair. If the Clinton folks would drop the ban, Obama folks should support the re-do – or face appropriate fire for standing in the way.

If at the end of the day, the re-dos disappear in Michigan and Florida, Clinton still has one hope – and not a very appealing one for anybody: That because of the Reverend Wright affair, the bottom completely drops out for Obama and he loses big not only in places like Pennsylvania and Indiana but also in North Carolina, where he has been ahead.  That is a scenario that would bring shutters to much of the country that has a more elevated view of what America is all about.

Personally, I just don't think it will happen that way but there are others who disagree with me. We shall see. We are learning a lot in this campaign not only about the candidates but about ourselves.

– David Gergen, CNN Senior Political Analyst

Program note: Watch David Gergen share his analysis with Anderson Cooper on tonight's 360° at 10p ET

Filed under: David Gergen • Hillary Clinton
  1. Jo-Ann

They are all trying to bring about a "war" .if who they want elected is not elected. If Hillary gets elected the it is because everyone "snowballed" him or every one is a racist. They are all saying Obama has to win or else! this is wrong. Superdeligates should not be pressured into voting for Obama, that's just wrong.

March 20, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  2. Bryan in Los Angeles

David–

I appreciate your always even-handed analysis. I am wondering if you are planning to react to the recent revelations made in Senator Clinton's schedule that was recently released; namely, that she hosted several pro-NAFTA events as First Lady, where she apparently stating that the program was going to be good for the economy, etc.

How does this correspond with your earlier statements that she was against NAFTA behind closed doors? I take you at your word, but doesn't this discrepancy unto itself suggest issues with the credibility of Senator Clinton as a political figure (i.e., she secretly disagrees with policy X, but publicly pushes for it due to political expediency, etc)? Doesn't this speak to the very core of the trustworthiness America is yearning for in our next President?

Thanks for your time.

March 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  3. Mark, IL

Funny Jen thinks Obama has more baggage than Hillary! But, this is all academic. Wright rippled dies down and the issues come back up, Obama looks like he did before. If he wins the states he's supposed to from here on out, then the super's come around. He will, did you see the crowds on AC260 last night for Obama? If he does in fact lose significantly where he should have won, then maybe the super's need to do some thinking. But I think this Wright thing comes down to a specific thing, assuming that Obama can deflect the patriotism question and keep it about bad comments. So the Repubs will look very bad digging into this and would have a hard time not coming off badly. However, If people like Jen don't think the Repubs have a list a mile long to hit Clinton's on, they are delusional. They will "kill Bill" on the Kazakhs and pardons and Hillary's roles on and on an on ...

March 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  4. kevin

Obama is not electable. He was too close to an anti-American for 20 years. His political life did end with a bad choise of a spiritual adviser who is full of hate.

March 20, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  5. MinOR, Oregon

"Election by election, state by stae, precinct by precinct, door by door, vote by vote...we're going to lift our party up and take this country back for the people who built it."

Governer Howard Dean

I guess he forgot to say “except Florida and Michigan voters” when he made that statement.

SEAT THE FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN DELEGATES!

March 20, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  6. David in Shawnee

WHO DISINFRANCHISED FLORDIA DEMOCRATS? FLORIDA DEMOCRATS.

George Orwell once noted that ”he who controls the present, controls the past.“ In the debate over the Florida primary, the actual past is under heavy revision. The Orwellian version is that Florida’s predicament is the fault of anyone except Florida itself – blame the DNC, the republican governor, Obama, whoever. The truth is that Florida, with broad bipartisan support and full knowledge of the consequences, unapologetically tried to game the system.

Florida’s primary date was set by the legislature in House Bill 537. It wasn’t a partisan split, with a vote of 115-1 in the House and 37-2 in the Senate. By the way, if ”537“ sounds familiar, the 2000 election in Florida was decided by – 537 votes. Here’s what Florida Democrats said before, during, and after passage:

• Before passage, Democratic spokesman Mark Bubriski said ”Florida Democrats are all for it.“ Staff analysis hinted that ”a threatened reduction in delegates is merely a bluff.“
    • After passage, Democratic Senator Bill Nelson, now an outspoken critic of the DNC action, stated that the national party wouldn’t want to be in ”the position where it is taking away the people’s right.“
    • Jeremy Ring, the Democratic Florida state Senator who sponsored a similar Senate bill, was unapologetic when Florida was stripped of its delegates. ”I think we have successfully blown up this antiquated primary process . . . I have no regrets.“
    • Likewise, Democratic Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz reacted by noting that rather than risking the wrath of Florida voters, the presumptive nominee (oops – there isn’t one) would ensure that the delegation was seated.
    • Steve Geller, also a Democratic legislator, stated that if candidates ”choose not to campaign here and lose? Not our problem.“

Florida Democrats knew the risks and consequences, and chose to cast their state as more equal than the rest. What should happen now? First and foremost, Florida voters should vote out the 152 legislators who gambled with their constiuent’s votes as chips. Second, the DNC can invoke a 50% delegate penalty rather than a 100% penalty. That decision would still disenfranchise some, but is probably the best among the options.

Finally, in the future, Florida must prove that it can carry out the simple governmental task of correctly holding elections. Florida’s citizens, and the country, deserve no less.

March 20, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  7. jdona

Obama is his own worst enemy. He needs to shut his mouth. I feel so bad for his poor ole white grandma, I will bet you money that poor old woman didn't know she was a racist. But by Obama's standards she is a "typical white person". Those are Obama's words not mine, they were uttered by him on a radio station. And I quote:

610 WIP host Angelo Cataldi asked Obama about his Tuesday morning speech on race at the National Constitution Center in which he referenced his own white grandmother and her prejudice. Obama told Cataldi that "The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know (pause) there's a reaction in her that doesn't go away and it comes out in the wrong way."

I guess I am a atypical white person, but any more I don't know if that is good or bad. I resent his characterization, I resent his labels, I resent his lectures to me on race when it is obvious to me that he has his own issues with race. I resent him, in fact. And I don't want him to be my President. And I am one who will definitely vote for John McCain in the fall if he is my only other choice.

March 20, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  8. Vicky in Texas

Thank you, David for writing such an objective report of the situation – I do not think you are favoring any candidate – this is the way it is. All Democrats should be concerned about splitting the party – that only spells victory for McCain.

March 20, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  9. Voice

Well said, David. You are a sober and reasoning voice.

The political landscape has changed today, a day after Obama's brilliant speech on race. Perhaps more superdegates are more convinced than ever that Obama is their pick.

The debate itself has already shifted to the general election issue: war, poverty, in addition to race. I don't see how Clinton has any share on this platform. She is soon going to be yesterday. Yet fights are still ahead. More fiercing she is, more wounded she'll be.

March 20, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  10. Kodjo

The political pundits want McCain to win in November.

March 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  11. Rich

I am having a hard time understanding why everyone talks as if the DNC, the candidates or someone else has wronged the people of Michigan and Florida. Their legislatures have done this to them. Its like someone being told if you steal, you go to jail and after they do it, forgetting totally about their act.

The bottom line is Florida and Michigan made their bed and need to stop the whining. Why not call it what it is. Hillary is trying to re-write history and the press allows it. I know its because everyone loves a good fight, but my god, where is the self-integrity in all of this.

March 20, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  12. Preeti

I must agree with Angela. I am from Canada and when I watch the American pundits talk I notice this partiality towards Obama. Obama seems to be everyone's golden boy, and the American media does seem more critical towards Hilary Clinton.

I do not support either candidate. This is an very interesting race after a very long time and it is fun to watch. But I would hate to think the media is partial towards one candidate for some reason.

March 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  13. Lewis

David Blackburn, that's only partially correct. It was a Democrat who came up with the idea, it was the Republicans who bundled the measure into a can't miss vote: lowering property taxes.

March 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  14. Barbara Lynch

When this controversy first broke, long before I had decided which candidate to support, I thought it was very foolish for the DNC to strip these states of their delegates. The Democrats cannot afford to lose MI and FL in November. Is the DNC ready to lose the White House over this issue?

Of course Clinton is fighting for it because she won most of the delegates, and Obama is against it because it could put her ahead of him. But you can bet that if the situation were reversed, Obama would be all for seating the delegates one way or another.

Saying "she will do anything to get the nomination" implies that fighting to give her voters a voice is somehow dishonorable or illegal. Listen to the PEOPLE in those states. They are really mad and threatening to leave the Democratic party and stay home in November. That is a disaster in the making for the Democratic nominee whoever gets it. If Obama gets the nomination because these states were not included in the nominating process, he will lose in November and that is not good for him, for Democrats, and especially for African Americans. African Americans cannot afford to have Obama nominated and lose in the general election because the DNC made a stupid call last year. Sticking to the rules just because they are rules is going to cost the Democrats the White House in November and probably for the next 8 years.

March 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  15. Paul

Hi Angela,

I think the pundits see Hillary as a person who would do "anything" to get elected. I think it is clear that this is the case. Don't get me wrong. I think she is smart and tenacious. But, to many, she represents "old school" politics...."dirty politics".

Say what you want about Obama and his credibility issue related to his pastor Wright. But he comes out and confronts issues head-on. He takes a risk in not "disowning" pastor Wright. And I respect him for that because it is deeply personal and honest.

Name a politician who has done anything remotely close to what he did on Tuesday.

And so i think pundits are taken aback by this. Many of them found it incredibly refreshing....as cynical as they are. Now that's change!

March 20, 2008 at 4:22 pm |
  16. Skoolz da Teacha

I honestly, sincerely, and deeply believe if Obama was behind as many delegates and as many votes the conversation would be more about the pressure on him to drop out. Clintons "Firewall" being Ohio and Texas. Let's look at it without bias... She barely won Ohio thanks to much controversy namely that being trying to undermine Obama's NAFTA position, she won the Texas primary but Obama left Texas with more delegates. The woman is DESPERATE she should have left the race for the White House 4-5 weeks ago after "Super Tuesday." It is IMPOSSIBLE for her to get more delegates or a lead in the popular vote. Check this websites poll to make it more convincing! She is qualified but she is behind, she is passionate but she is also divisive, she is a woman but the wrong woman at the wrong time, with the wrong baggage, and the wrong "hard headed" persistence!

March 20, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  17. David in Los Angeles

The one constant in this primary process is the way Hillary does and says anything to get the nomination. She signed a letter stating that her campaign would follow the rules and that those two states' votes would not count. She went on a radion station saying the same thing. Now, as if no one will do their homework or remember she said those things, she's so concerned with the voters in those two states. I truly believe that she is implementing a "scorched earth" campaign and hurting the dems chances for November. She's said that John M is better prepared than Obama, she's now basically saying that if the votes in Mich and Fl aren't counted then they could alter the election in November.

I'm now wondering if she's looking at this as an "all-or-nothing" effort. If she wins, she's president. If she loses the primary then Obama will be so bloodied that he'll lose in November and she can run again in 4 short years.

Sad, sad......

David

March 20, 2008 at 4:20 pm |
  18. Janice

1. Democracy is literally "rule by the people".

2. People in power screwed up MI and FL; not the people.

3. People must be allowed to vote. Otherwise, we're no different thatn a third world country with corrupt politician running things.

March 20, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  19. Dawn Gazzerro

Response to Angela, you are right the political pundits have been pretty hard on Hillary, she may not win the nomination, but Obama will never beat McCain, you will see the republicans come out of the woodwork I would be willing to bet he will win by quite a big margin, I am voting for Hillary . I work at a big hospital in southeastern Penna. there are many people I have heard saying they are voting for McCain it is quite a large number, some for Obama and Hillary but mostly for McCain. I think if Hillary and Obama ran together they would beat the pants off of the republicans. Dawn

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  20. roni

David,

I'm confused, but not about how Clinton can grab the nomination, but rather how she is not be handed it. A former Obama supporter, I am not only disillusioned, disgusted and heart sick, but furious! If the wright story and every disgusting thing said had been aimed at the african-american population, you can bet your white arse that the blacks would have insisted the 'white' presidential hopeful step down!

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  21. oswanegan

Why does everyone think the media is so harsh and critical on Hillary?

She provided/started a lot of the early division between her and Obama in the campaign... directly in the face of what the DNC asked both not to do. When she had the "losing streak" and unprepared judgment after super Tuesday because she thought a nomination was in the bag for her, she began resorting to below the belt tactics...

oswanegan, Atlanta, GA

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  22. scott

to Angela –
    I've been wondering myself why Obama has had such an easy ride and Hillary has been vilified. I half expect Obama to levitate during one of his talks because of the undying adoration. I do think the issue of Wright is much worse than the media wants to believe. Perhaps it was "political positioning" again on BO's part.
    I only hope that it isn't too late for the Democratic party.
    And lest anyone forget – Obama campaigned in Michigan too.

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  23. dayo

why did they not want to count the Florida and Michigan delegates in the first place anyway?It's not Obama' fault, the rules are the rule, his name was not even on the ballot in the first place anyway. I think Obama will win Michigan if they have a revote but I don't know about Florida

March 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  24. Elaine, Canada

The rest of the world is either confused or laughing. The US wants to spread democracy around the world, and can't even hold elections in their own country.

Do your foreign election overseers approve of the leaders of other countries disenfranchising whole states? Would they consider such actions to be 'democratic'?

Whatever the advantage to either candidate, the optics from an international perspective are really, really bad if Michigan and Florida are not allowed to hold votes that count.

(And yes, I realize that this is a Party thing, not a general election.)

March 20, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  25. Debbie, NJ

It doesn't take a manipulative, conniving, lying mind like Hillary's to realize that neither Florida or Michigan is going to hand the presidency over to the Rep because they are mad at Obama. Hillary nobody loves you that much. This election is about Dems vs Rep, not Hillary vs Obama. When the primaries are over, everybody will forget about the immature, childish, campaign you are running and think about the real issues when they vote. The Florida and Michigan voters are not going to spite themselves because of you or Obama. Voting for a Rep. (unless you agree with the current administration) would only hurt the voter and their family. This is another one of your childish, manipulative pranks on the American people. We're not as stupid as you think we are.

March 20, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  26. Michelle Coder

Right on, David! You are one of the few media figures who is willing to expose the skeletons in the closet. I agree it is highly possible the whole Florida, Michigan mess was cooked up by Clinton strategists as a back-up plan. Those folks should play chess...maybe that's how they got their strategic chops. If all we were looking for were great strategists then the Clintons would be our "guys". They know how to win elections.

The problem is we need a diplomat and humanitarian with the ability to think outside the Washington box in the White house these next four years. Obama is a brilliant man, a righteous, thoughtful, articulate person who does love this country and the people of this country. Does it matter if he is black, brown, white or green? Folks who fear a black president need to ask themselves what they are really afraid of.

Blessings!

March 20, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  27. Terrence W

It's not that they are easy on him but she is doing all these Wiley Coyote stunts to trap him and they bomb in her face. It's like the debate when she tried to trap him with the denounce reject thing: trying to make an issue where there is none. She just keeps backfiring. It's not Obama who kills her efforts. SHE kills her own.

March 20, 2008 at 4:15 pm |
  28. Patrick

If either of these states are "allowed" to have a re-vote, what will happen to states that opt to defy the party during the next presidential election? The precedent set by giving these states a "pass" for disobeying the party seems likely to come back to haunt everyone later. Why have their been no stories about this?

March 20, 2008 at 4:14 pm |
  29. Sharon

David, please explain to people that are criticizing Hillary on NAFTA what your true impression was during the Clinton Administration......PLEASE.

This is sooooooo sad....had Obama not tried to hide his pastor, Hillary would have the nomination already. I will be happily voting for McCain if Hillary can't pull this off......I just can't take another 4 years of inexperience and fumbles......learning on the job is not what this country needs right now, we've had 7 years of that already.......We are such foolish people.....

March 20, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  30. Artemio Verduzco

I didn't know where to find the article I read last night with so many comments from your viewers very unpleased about CNN and Hillary Clinton during her husband's affairs. I was beginning to think you were really trusted and then I see that I am not the only person who thinks you are biased. For example, CNN was recently criticized for being soft towards Obama but not Hillary. I also notice that your adds will post a question like: Will you vote for Obama, then another question starting with letter "W" then the third ad asks about Hillary. If you are supposed to alphabetize, you certainly didn't. This has to do with the fact that we don't care for those adds (at least I don't) but the name Obama comes up first. CNN is pushing so much for Obama. You give him more attention, and maybe its not about Obama, its about a racial issue (yes I'm accusing you of racism) that you want an African-American to win the nomination because he is not as seasoned as Hillary and his arguments are less intelligent siding on the part of the brain that has to do with imagination rather than the facts. Perhaps CNN is owned or directed by white men who want to get Barack Obama up against McCain so that the white man remains governing. Either way, maybe you don't care so much for what I say and you protect yourselves from posting real comments, but I own a small business and every customer counts and it seems your siding with one candidate does not get overlooked by most of us.

March 20, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  31. ShredBetty

What I find interesting is her blatant misrepresentation of Obama's position. He has said that he would be for a Michigan re-vote, so long as those Democrats who voted in the primary as Republicans would have the opportunity to vote. Recall that Dems were told their vote wouldn't count, so many voted in the Republican primary, while Hilary supporters were "counseled" to stay Democrats.

In addition, Hillary's speech never made reference to the fact that even before she arrived in Michigan to fire off flaming accusations, the state has already decided. The decision was never up to Obama.

Whoever I support in the general is still up for grabs, but increasingly, I'm disappointed at her misleading statements and innuendo. Oh, and where are those tax returns? I guess she doesn't want us to know where, exactly she GOT that 5Million she loaned (gave) her campaign.

March 20, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  32. Amy, Philly, PA

Hi David,
    Do you think 360 could play that Audacity to Hope sermon that Obama first heard, and which attracted him to Trinity? The audio and text of the sermon are widely available online now. Since that's one sermon he was definitely present for, and definitely had an impact on him.... it seems only fair that you should play that on a continuous loop. Thanks!

March 20, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  33. Neptil

First of all it is not right to give few states the choice to select the nominees for all of us. Each state should be able to do the primaries whenever they want. So I think it was right for FL & MI to move up. If I were a democratic voter of FL or MI, and if my primary votes are not counted now, will vote for McCain come November.

March 20, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  34. Justin in Dallas

David Gergin and Anderson Cooper are the two most objective analyst/reports on television today. In fact, I think CNN should give David Gergin his own show.

Good or bad for any of the candidates, both seem to fairly tell it like it is and not get lost in their own opinions like too many others. They are definitely a dying breed on T.V. today and both should be commended.

March 20, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  35. M. Kelly

Understood that MI and FL broke rules, but those rules were broken by 'higher ups' not the voting public . . . democracy should come first and if there is any fix to be had to let the PEOPLE vote – then so be it!!!

If everyone's vote counting means Obama loses then that's appropriate – for him to win because two states are 'punished' is sad at best . . .

March 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  36. Mike

Is Hilary crying again? She got herself into this mess by supporting early elections in those states – now that it has backfired she is crying a river. This isn't grade school. She is turning this whole election process into a circus – not a quality I admire in a commander in cheif.

March 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  37. Greg

There’s an insane illusion being proffered by Clinton fans that somehow Michigan and Florida are “victims” of the tyranny of the Democratic Party. This ludicrous posturing seeks desperately to confuse the uninformed. So here’s the facts: Both states were told the consequences of their actions BEFORE they decided to go “rogue” and unilaterally change their primary dates. No one “took away” their right to anything. Only a Clinton supporter would frame their consequences as anything other than precisely what was deserved. I resent CNN for feeding this illusion by presenting it as anything other than what it is: emotional smokescreen serving one purpose only: votes for Billary. It’s enough that the Clintons will do anything to win, but when the media aids their masquerade it’s pathetic.

March 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  38. TJS

Angela,
    Everybody is harsh on OBAMA not Hillary including the pundits. Hillary has it easy since SNL drama. Obama has been harrashed by all the network inclucing CNN (Clinton News Network). Why they so called pundits not asking for clinton library's donor list. Library costs millions of dollar and why would people donate without not getting something in return. Why MSM is not doing reserach on PAUL Vs Clinton lawsuite? If you do some research on this case you will find out how screwed up Hillary is?

March 20, 2008 at 4:09 pm |
  39. S.

Ok, unless I'm a complete idiot I'm really having a hard time understanding the problem here.

FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN BROKE THE RULES! They knew what was at stake for their voters so WHY would they KNOWINGLY STILL BREAK THE RULES? It sucks that the voters have to suffer for a mistake that wasn't theirs but RULES ARE RULES! This is ridiculous. The rules were broken so they have to now pay the price.

And I question Hillary's veracity for getting this resolved. When she was leading in the polls Florida and Michigan's votes "didn't matter" to her but now they're so important? She's not concerned about disenfranchising her constituents, she just knows she needs the numbers. It would NOT BE FAIR to count votes in Michigan when your opponent wasn't even on the ballot. Of course you won, you ran UNOPPOSED! This is a fact – whether I support her or not is inconsequential.

March 20, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  40. Bel

Angela,

What news broadcasts do you typically watch? I only ask because every channel that I turn on that covers politics is playing the Pastor Wright propaganda loop 24/7.

This isn't exactly favoring Obama.

: )

March 20, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  41. Ginger

If the deligates do not count in Florida or Michigan, does the popular vote count?

March 20, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  42. David Blackburn

David,

You point to Crist and the Republican legislature for the Democratic primary woes of Florida. However, it's my understanding that the bill to move the primary, against DNC rules, was sponsored by a Democrat and was passed by near unanimous votes from both sides of the aisle.

David, Jacksonville, NC

March 20, 2008 at 4:07 pm |
  43. Wayne Watterson

A good question is not only how do we fix this mess this time around, but how can we prevent this from happening again in the future? The democratic primary process is much like the BCS bowl system in college football – overly complicated and impossible to monitor without the help of experts. This process needs to be completely overhauled. How about a system that is clear, transparent, easy to understand, simple to track the score, and doesn't take 15 months and hundreds of millions of dollars to play out? That would encourage even more people to enter the process.

March 20, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  44. Penny

Hi Media,
    Hillary and McCain are too "OLD". They do not have any new ideas. They are talking about a DO_OVER. You cannot teach an old dog any new tricks or ideas. It's like the Gambler, even he knows when to walk away.

March 20, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  45. Angela

David,

To be very honest, I am very confused. But I do think it is getting harder and harder for Hillary to win the nominaton.

I just dont understand why everybody, including the political pundits are so easy on Obama and so harsh and critical towards Hillary?

March 20, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  46. Mischelle from Illinois

David,
    It might seem unfair to Obama supporters if the Superdelegates, after all is said and done, overwhelmingly decide that Hillary IS the more electible candidate even if Obama has only a slight lead (but still has not reached that majic number at the end) in pledged delegates.

BUT THAT is the point of having the super delegates in the first place, regular folks cannot decide what is best for the party (obviously) so the system of knowledgeable, cool- headed, and more REASONABLE super-duper delegates was created.

It IS the job of the supers to take a BIG PICTURE look at the entire race (election). They will quitely speak out at the end that one of the two candidates has THE BEST chance against the republican candidate. Not who has 10 more pledged delegates after the crazy counting is all done, because this has really been an exercise in futility...neither one will have REQUIRED number of pledged delegates.
    It will sting! It will cause chaos! We will hear an overt out-cry of how 'unfair' it is... BUT the super delegates will have to decide what the most important issue is... "Do we play the.... he/she is a couple of votes ahead but not quite there so, ah heck, let's just say he/she won anyway..." OR do they take their J.O.B. seriously and side with the candidate that has THE BEST chance to give the Dems the control of the White House.
    My opinion is... the supers know what they must do at the end....they also are quiet now, because they know how difficult and painful it will be for some... BUT it must be done.

March 20, 2008 at 3:51 pm |
  47. Robert Benjamin

It will not matter who wins the nomination if Florida and Mich. are not seated. As a past precinct Chairman in Texas, you need local vounteers to get out the right voters. There will be a lot of resentment and force the DNC to man those states, You are basically playing into Republican hands.

Bob

March 20, 2008 at 3:41 pm |
  48. jen in cali

Why Obama is still in the running is amazing. He has lied so many times and the MSM just brushes it off. Since his racist pastor,mentor and advisor, Obama has been on every show trying to smooth things over. He is a hypocrite and his speech was not equavalent to Lincoln. The media makes things up as this goes along. Unbelievabla. I pray to God everyday that this man does not end up as our president. He is a fraud and a liar. Hillary may have baggage but so does Obama and he is racking it up fast and he is just starting. With friends like Obama you don't need enemies.

March 20, 2008 at 3:31 pm |
  49. Cindy

David,
    You can definitely tell by Hillary's tone and her constant pushing of the subject that she will do just about anything to get Michigan and Florida a do over. Well within her reason that is. She wouldn't want anything that'll help Obama obviously!

But for me I hope that neither state gets a do over. They should have followed the rules just like every body else. Now they want to cry about it because they think they'll be the ones who really get to pick the nominee. Better luck next time I say!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 20, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  50. David

Clinton's like Huckabee with better math skills.

March 20, 2008 at 3:00 pm |