March 19th, 2008

On the trail... with Clinton?

We've been getting a bunch of e-mails from viewers asking why I haven't gone out on the trail with Senator Clinton.

They say its unfair of us, that we are not giving equal time to senator clinton.

Well, I'd love to join Senator Clinton on the campaign trail.  We've requested it numerous times, and so far, nada.

So feel free to direct your e-mails to Senator Clinton's campaign.

– Anderson Cooper

1. Elizabeth

Senator Clinton should allow a AC360 "tour" as it could provide insight to the real person that is Senator Hillary Clinton – as someone who voted for her husband twice, all I know is that she is Mrs. Bill Clinton and a NY Senator.

I do my own research and do not rely on the pundits to fill my head with "stuff". Unfortunately I cannot find much of substance relative to her 35 years of experience – she tried legislation but did not get bi-partisan support and passed/supported some legislation of little significance. I want to vote for the right person but the horrors of the Clinton years still echo in my mind Whitewater, lewinsky, the Arkansas fiasco and the list goes on.

If we want to foget all of that, that is ok the Republicans will bring it all back to light since in the end – it is not only Hillary in the White House it is Bill as well and that is a combination that the American people do not want to revisit.

We definitely need a change but we still have to hold the candidate, the candidate themselves, accountable – not their friends or ministers and not even their husbands, so in the end.. will the real Hilary stand up and show me something besides what you will do – show me what you have done.

BTW – would this race still be going if Hilary had won 11 in a row and was leading in both delegates and popular vote? What gives?

March 19, 2008 at 4:59 pm |
  2. Kathy, Andover

How interesting you haven't been granted an interview. I'm more interested in you covering the recently released First Lady documentation, in your KEEPING THEM HONEST segments.

March 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  3. Walter Nadratows

With regard to answer to traveling with the Clinton campaign my rely to you is...

Try Harder!

If you go only where it is easy we will never get the full story.

P.S. Stop tossing Senator Obama the soft balls.

What is it with the media and this guy? I guess something comes off close up and in person that does not from a distance and across a TV screen.

Finally can you ask Senator Obama why during his speak he felt the need to throw his grandmother under the bus? He seems to only embrace one side of his heritage

March 19, 2008 at 4:42 pm |
  4. VERY Concened American

With all the poor coverage Senator Clinton and President Clinton has got on CNN I am not surprised that she would want to say a word. I know I would be.

March 19, 2008 at 4:40 pm |
  5. Questions

Hi Anderson,

I sure do believe you when you say you have been asking HRC to appear with her and she has declined. I understand where she is coming from. The media has not been fair and balanced towards her either. Were I Hilary Clinton, I would probably also reject the offer. I'm sure your requests were genuine, but her refusal is also clearly and utterly based on the fact that the media has been biased against her and towards Obama. Letting a pro Obama follower get close to her would be like giving the fox the keys to the hen house. Maybe if you started asking the tough questions and actually doing favorable reporting on both candidates -equally-, she might reconsider?

March 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  6. Joanne

I really doubt that Senator Clinton has much to say that we haven't already heard anyway. Senator Obama on the other hand has the world talking again. Everyday he makes us think about how the world can be a better place. What we are witnessing is miraculous and I can't wait to see how the world comes together with Senator Obama at the helm.

March 19, 2008 at 4:38 pm |
  7. VERY Concened American

Maybe she is upset with the comments from many reporters on CNN's reporting. I know it has upset me. Ask her that. SNL saw her treatment. It took a comedy show to demonstrate her being treated unfairly.

March 19, 2008 at 4:37 pm |
  8. Judy

Toby,

You are correct – mind your own business! If the Canadians want Clinton – she has to be more of an advantage to your country than ours!!

March 19, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  9. Angely L

Amazing. Not Surprised though, she has too much to hide. Let's see if your honesty to her supports comments helps you get that interview with her.

March 19, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  10. boston

toby,
    of course you are free to voice your opinion, but if you are going to be so involved with our politics it would be best to at least be informed. As said above, Obama is ahead in both popular and delegate vote, so this "cult" you are talking about is the american people. As for his speech, it is amazing to me that anyone could take from it a message of "vote for me or you're racist". Perhaps its a hearing problem or maybe an underlying insecurity with your own feelings towards race. Either way, if you are going to get involve, and it is in the interest of your country that you do, you should take it upon yourself to expand your education of US politics.

March 19, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  11. Barbara in Culver City, CA

I just emailed Senator Clinton to request that she allow you to spend a day with her on the campaign trail. I can understand why she might be reluctant, as so much of the media coverage has been very unfair to her. But I do think Anderson's spending time with her and showing her in a more spontaneous setting would benefit her and give the viewers an opportunity to learn more about her.

Anderson, I'm so sorry to hear about your surgery. Cancer is a very frightening disease. Hopefully this is the end of it!

March 19, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  12. Natalie

Win, Lose, Or Tie....................Barack is a HERO!

March 19, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  13. Khan

Anderson, its simple why Hillary doesn't want you or any other MSM digging her campaign trail. Its because she doesn't wanna be seen having lunch with all those rich governors, state officials and other superdelegates that she so trusts will help her win the nomination.

March 19, 2008 at 4:27 pm |
  14. Judy Stage Brooklyn MI

Anderson, IMO a campaign that prefers to keep the media out has something to hide. I like Senator Obama's transparency and his facing the issues good or bad(Rev. Wright) head on. I do have the "feeling" that Obama can be trusted. Ask him the tough question and I think one of the toughest is, what would he do with the Iraq war? Personally, I would not be inclined to vote for anyone who sees the US in this war for years.
    See you tonight.

March 19, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  15. Jean

Hi Toby, as you rightly pointed out, you are Canadian and not American. Don't you guys over there have nothing else to do??

March 19, 2008 at 4:26 pm |
  16. Nisha

Where are all the Hillary supporters that were just complaining on this blog that he was being unfair to HIllary? See how quick you are to judge and make assumptions with out having all the facts? How many other issues have you believed the worse case scenerio without having all of the information to base it on? Hmmm....

March 19, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  17. Belle

It doesn't not surprise me Clinton would not want CNN on the campaign trail with her....given the fact that it is CLEAR CNN will twist stories to favor Obama.

Just look at yesterday, for example....

Right after Obama's speech MONDAY, he has his Henchmen say Clinton is willing to do or say anything to be elected. (Now she has NOT commented on ANY of the troubles Mr. Obama has been having since Friday...which shows she has MORE COMPASSION than he ever could)

The Good Ole Jack Cafferty's Question: Will Hillary Clinton be willing to Say or do anything to be elected?

CNN is a parrot of Obama.

March 19, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  18. Makia

Toby:

I must respond to you. Senator Obama said nothing of the sort regarding people not voting for him being racist. I'm sorry but I believe the cult members are actually those people that blindly follow a party despite all of the havoc and destruction seven years of their leadership has done to the U.S., the Middle East, as well as Canada. If anything could be said for Senator Obama, it's that he's forcing people to really take a hard, cold look at the state of the union and the future that they want and deserve. Following his lead is anything but a cult. It takes a strong minded person to go against the status quo, and step out on a limb and support the unconventional candidate. A cult member would simply follow along with Senators McCain or Clinton without giving any thought to their actions because they are scared to do otherwise.

March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  19. Kunle

I think its obvious that she's ignoring you because you did not give her the fairness she deserved in the first place, you decided to go on her trail becaruse you got bashed for being unfair. Did you just wake up? She's telling you you can go to hell and that she can handle this without you.

March 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  20. Rick

Thats because you might find out that Hillary is 1) hiding alot of things, 2) she is lieing about the things she has done for experience, 3) She treats people like a dictator and threatens them if they dont let her win and 4) that she is too much a ME ME person and cant involve the WE word in anything she does.

March 19, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  21. Bubba

Oooh, possibly because you'd rip her up the way all reporters do? Comment on her hairstyle, say she's emotional, mention the pantsuit and Monica? Hey, what was Obama wearing? Was it rumpled? Stylish? Did he cry?

March 19, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  22. Gordon

Why because we all know CNN endorses Obama and asking Hillary was just a second nature gesture

March 19, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  23. SEL

Why would anyone say this? Didn't you just don some behind the scenes thing with BIll Clinton yesterday?

March 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  24. Jo Ann

Anderson,

I have two schools of thought on this. On one hand it would be a good idea for Hillary Clinton to get as much coverage as she can so that she can explain her position on the issues and we can get a grip on what her plans are for our country and if she is qualified to lead it. On the other hand, and I say this as an Independent undecided voter, CNN has been less than fair to her and her family, at times even hateful.

I must admit that AC360 is the only CNN program that I continue to watch religiously because of this bias and lately it has been walking a fine line as far as this is concerned. You can see it not only on the show itself, but also in the 360 Blog posts and especially in the live blog, which has become nothing more than a fansite lately. I used to be a loyal viewer of TSR, but I have switched to other news channels during that time period lately because I feel as though I am getting only half of the picture and that was the reason I stopped watching FNC.

Sooner or later Senator Clinton will agree to an interview with you. I will take your advice and send an email to her campaign about it.

I am certain that you will disagree with me about this, but I thought you might at least appreciate my opinion.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

March 19, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  25. Eric Dussan

I am sure Hillary is open to interviews, my view is that the CNN has openly parcialized with Obama and atacked Hillary from all fronts. So an interview might only mean giving you more tools to support Obama.

You know how it is, if you are outhere to look for mistakes and issues, you'll find them. I Hillary was going through the same situation as Obama regarding a ratial comment, CNN would have distroyed her long ago.

My hope is that anderson is one of the few true Journalists at CNN, so maybe we ll see some light!

March 19, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  26. td

Its a sad day in media coverage when a broadcasting station like CNN whom I have always trusted for the truth regardless, started taking sides. Out of disbelief, I have watched how CNN has played the game of take it easy on Obama. It is terrible that you guys have taken it so easy not to report on the tough issues surrounding Obama. How is it that Fox can ask Mr.Obama for accountability and CNN can't. Senator Obama has lied repeatedly. By the way, Senator Obama was the first to demand the firing of Imus during his racial confrontations. However now that the shoe is on the other foot, things have changed.CNN, I AM CHANGING TO FOX WHERE THE DISCUSSIONS AND NEWS ARE FAIR.

March 19, 2008 at 4:04 pm |
  27. Paris

Anderson because you are bias. You can’t even cover a simple story without being bias.
    Now you want to go on a campaign trail with Hillary? She doesn’t trust you Anderson and rightfully.

March 19, 2008 at 4:03 pm |
  28. Tricia

I agree. I bet five bucks on you getting an invite for a Hilary special within the next few days. Trying to avoid that so-obvious media bias, I'm sure.
    I can't wait to see the Obama interview.

I'm glad you're well, Anderson!! I would've believed you if you said you got into a fight with Charlie Rose, although you might've lost, since he had a black eye and you got stitches.

March 19, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  29. Michael, NC

It seems to me that Senator Clinton doesn't really need to be in the spotlight as of now, especially the way many american voters have come down hard on Senator Obama. I mean, I am sure the Clinton team is loving the negative publicity that has seemed to outweigh the positives for Obama as of late.

March 19, 2008 at 3:48 pm |
  30. Anne- Newfoundland,Canada

Anderson;
    It is very strange that she has refused the request.I would have thought she would jump at the chance for it,considering her "rival" agreed to it.

Maybe after tonight's program, her people will advise her that it could work in her favor if she agreed to let you join the campaign trail with her.
    I mean,what has she got to lose,it could be good for her and her team.

I suppose it can be frustrating,and after so many refusals.
    I could not blame you if you wanted to give up-after all, it is her loss if they do not want to take you up on the offer.

March 19, 2008 at 3:47 pm |
  31. Sue-BC-Canada

Toby, keep your fear mongering comments to yourself. You do not represent the majority of Canadians who would dearly love an Obama to replace Prime Minister Stephen Harper. I would certainly vote for him if I were American. America – you are lucky to have such an intelligent, and respected man of honor running for the leader of your country.

March 19, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  32. nancy

Anderson – I love this.....

I really, really hope you'll do this with Hillary too!!! (my candidate)

She will run you ragged....

As a volunteer that flew in from San Diego to Houston to help out for TX primary/caucus – I can tell you, these campaigns go 24/7 non-stop...

you'll find yourself at walmart at 3am buying sharpies and staples to help make signs for rallies!!!

I've never done this before – it is FASCINATING.....

Good Luck!!!

March 19, 2008 at 3:44 pm |
  33. Aggie in NS Canada

Well said Anderson. I'm a Canadian and yes even up here we are caught up in this race. I've watched a lot of broadcast and I must say I have to disagree with Clinton's supporters saying she is not getting equal time. Congrats to Barack for giving such a great speech. In my opinion those that are happy with this speech and his straight forwardness would have never supported him from the beginning. They are either Clinton fans or McCain fans. US and Canada really need someone like Barack to straighten out this mess

March 19, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  34. Louis Guili

It's Hillary Clinton's loss that you were not invited on her campaign trail because you always report fairly and accurately no matter what the news story is.
    Sorry to hear about your skin surgery. Hope all is going well. I send you my warmest wishes. You're the best, Anderson!

Louis Guili
    Washington, PA

March 19, 2008 at 3:39 pm |
  35. Brittany

Hey,

I thought it was a little odd that you hadn't gone on the campaign trail with Senator Clinton. Didn't really think much of it till now though 😛 I wonder why she doesn't want to? Seems like it would be a good opportunity for her. I don't know. Hope life is good.
    Brittany

March 19, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  36. Liane, Arlington, TX

I've heard (in similar incidents) that Senator Clinton was not very cooperative in sharing her campaign with anyone. Free press (especially on 360) I would think would be welcome to any presidential campaign. One would think that she should have expected (and welcome) such an exchange.

Sorry to hear about your bout with cancer, Anderson. Hope it's the last.

March 19, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  37. Relle Boston

I am looking forward to your interview and I hope that the media moves on from the race issue and get to what the candidates are going to do for us. Barack seems to be the only real candidate.

March 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  38. Janelle, WY

Toby, I have to respond. You are free to your opinion, but I have to strongly disagree with saying Obama supporters are in a cult. The Obama supporters I know are very educated on issues, policies, etc- they are not just following him blindly! You have "many" friends in the US who are afraid? Well they must be in the minority, because the last time I checked, Obama was ahead in delegates and popular vote-despite the obstacles he has had to face.

March 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  39. Jen

wasn't she the one who said yesterday that she was the most transparent person in american politics? hmmm...i'm really excited to see tonight's piece on obama. thanks so much for getting in there and getting the story with an all access pass.

p.s. i'm sorry to hear about your little health scare, and for the record, i think you could totally take charlie rose!

March 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hopefully John McCain's camp will also allow you access to him when he's on the campaign trail here in America. I really want to hear all sides. Perhaps Hillary will open the doors to you soon. We deserve to see ALL the candidates this election season. I hope the candidates realize they need to reach out to every American, not just their base.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

March 19, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  41. Missy

Thank you, Anderson. We know you are fair, always have been. Looking forward to tonight.

March 19, 2008 at 3:23 pm |
  42. Toby

I was about to ask whySenator Clinton didn't rate a "tour" as well. Now you and your viewers may think that being a Canadian, I should mind my own business, but I have to say, what effects America, affects Canada, because we are so tied together. I think it's time the Obama sensation was shown for what it is – a dangerous cult. I have many friends and relatives in the U.S. and they are all very afraid of what will happen to the country if Obama becomes President. Didn't you all learn your lessons from the "unifier" before him? When he gave his "powerful" speech yesterday, all he was doing was telling Americans that if they didn't vote for him, they were all racists. What kind of message is that to send out? You would think he would find another "point" to present about Senator Clinton,other than "well she voted for the war". For goodness sakes, surely he can come up with something else by now. I think you all should just cancel the election in November and make him a Saint right now. Think of the money you'll save!!

March 19, 2008 at 3:22 pm |
  43. Annie Kate

Well since you asked and have gotten no response that is about all you can do. Perhaps your coverage of Obama will incite her campaign to invite you along with them for a day. It would be unfortunate for Clinton's campaign to pass up the opportunity – a chance to be seen and heard on a typical day of campaigning by millions of viewers.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

March 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  44. Pamina

Hi Anderson,
    I'm looking forward to seeing "life on the campaign trail" tonight. I am excited to see how Senator Obama gets ready for his stops on the trail. Also, is he hoping now that he has answered the questions about his pastor, will that be let go to get to more substantial issues?
    Thanks and glad your surgery went well!

March 19, 2008 at 3:21 pm |
  45. LJD

I guess her supporters assumed that you are showing favor to Sen. Obama...What's new that's been happening through this entire process, but as a Obama supported I of course feel just the opposite, he is getting beat up on pretty good lately!

March 19, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  46. Lilibeth

Anderson,

First and foremost, my best wishes to you for a speedy recovery. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Sorry I missed your first blog entry today; I was at the doctor's office myself. Nothing major; just a routine annual checkup.

Thanks for letting us know that you have also contacted Mrs. Clinton's campaign. I honestly don't know why people still say you're not being fair. I mean, you've tried, what else can you do?

But I’m really looking forward to the show tonight to hear your interview with Mr. Obama. His speech yesterday was so stirring…it moved me to tears. The way he reacted to this whole thing showed me his character. If he turns out to be the Democratic nominee, he has my unequivocal and enthusiastic support. This coming from a Clinton supporter.

Again, best wishes to you and get well soon...

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 19, 2008 at 3:16 pm |
  47. Janelle, WY

Anderson, thanks for the blog. I especially like the live blogging on 360. It doesn't surprise me Obama allowed you access to "behind the scenes". His campaign is all about transparency- that's what so many people like about him! Whether or not you support Obama, I think most people would have to agree that Obama did the honest, and brave, thing yesterday by giving his "race" speech. If you look at his website blogs, you'll see that he has inspired some supporters to go to services at other churches (not their own) to show how we can support each other; and not have race/religion divide us.

March 19, 2008 at 3:15 pm |
  48. Az

Anderson, rather direct my eamil to her campaign ,I am requesting your team to ignore her campaign since no responses from her....

March 19, 2008 at 3:13 pm |
  49. Cindy

Anderson,
    We all know that you are fair when it comes to going out and filming on the campaign trail with the candidates. You can't force them to say yes. If they don't want to then it's their loss!!

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 19, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  50. Tita

You'll be getting an invite real soon I bet. &-)

Are you going to be with Obama all week? Can we expect to see you
    with Obama at the University of Oregon this Friday?

Let us know.