March 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/18/03

Anderson is prepping for a day on the road with Barack Obama in North Carolina. Watch for that tomorrow.

So tonight Campbell Brown is pulling double duty and helping us out on 360°. Please be kind.

It's been a big day on the 360° blog.  And most of it has been about Barack Obama and his speech in Philadelphia. And that's what most of tonight's program is about too.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lisa

Sonya
    Obama said he heard things like that but not that directly he saud he disagreed with his former pastor.

His pastor has been released from the campaign and he denounced his words publically.

What more do you want

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Mary Vencill

I'm white, middle aged, raised in the south. I'm deeply saddened by the scepticism expressed by many bloggers. Did they really listen to the entire speech? I read Obama's books – mainly because I had time to kill on airplanes, and I have been a strong supporter ever since. Last night I was reluctantly saying that I thought the controversy about Rev. Wright would spell the death of the Obama campaign. This morning, after hearing the speech, I (audaciously) hoped again. I was impressed not only with his direct confrontation of the issues - his class in standing beside his friend and mentor (however flawed) - his ability to educate us about issues, saying things his listeners don't always want to hear, but need to - his ability to put the controversy in historical and cultural context - his abiding vision of a country that can be better than it is, that is improving in many respects, that has a tremendous capacity to learn from its mistakes, and that most of all, allows people of diverse faiths/races/world views to disagree and resolve their disagreements. In short, I think Obama is the only person I've seen who has the skill and wisdom to lead the America I grew up loving and still love (however flawed).

March 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Sean

I cannot phantom the some of these comments…

“His speech was powerful” “His speech was moving”

If I were his Grandmother and Mother, I would disown him for equating us to the slim ball of Reverend Wright!

Wake Up America – I am a Democrat and we are about to elect the black David Duke as our democratic representative…

March 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  4. S. KELLY

P lease stop with the politics! Senator Obama expressed what we all know to be true. That takes courage. This is a special individual let's recognized that. He spoke a truth that many may not understand and find hard to accept but nonetheless a reality. I am truly proud that he is running for president. Whether he wins or not he has my respect and admiration. I sincerely wish that more were like him. Pastor Wright's words were indeed controversial and I didn't like them at all. However I have read in blogs directed at Senator Obama words that had racial overtones and offensive to me. Why are these not being challenged. People need to see the complete speech not sound bites used by the media to fuel anger and hatred. We are so cynical as a people it's a sad testament that we expect perfection when we are not perfect. It's discouraging and words of hope are needed. Thank you Senator Obama! In my opinion the man has won, he has character, I am saddened that there are those who can't accept the fact that a person can be pure at heart and sincere. But they crucifiied my lord what more can a mere man expect? Thanks for the opportunity to make a comment.

March 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  5. kevin lynch

Obama just stated in his speech that America must vote for a black man to start to heal!!
    Obama is misleading! He is an oportunist and is self serving! His spiritual leader is RACIST and anti american!!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Albert Ramos

Susan from Michigan, I would like to respond to your comments...what Rev. Wright said is important in this election because if someone is called your "spiritual advisor" this is important to find out about this person and also this tells us quite a lot Mr. Obama and his so called judgment.

March 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Sueme

He that has NO sin cast the first stone!
    WORDS....are like stones! Speak LIFE not Death!
    This is not about Obama, Clinton or McCain... it's about 400 years of hatred. Who is the author of HATE? Who is LOVE? How can you say, let me help you to remove the log from your eye...when you also have a log in your own?
    The economy is about to tank, people are homeless, people are hungry, we have exuberant job loss, high crime rate and immorality is running rampant ... In a time when when America is the darkest – we need Hope, Faith and Love. Martin Luther King mentions in his book 'when the world seems the darkest, that is when the STARS* shine the brightest'. Are you a Star*...let us strive to be your best we can be... think the best of others and speak LOVE.
    I pray that each person reading this comment (including the news commentators) will check within yourself first.
    Speak LOVE not HATE!

March 18, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  8. JP Atlanta

Just an observation I've noticed on your blog: seems only comments favorable to Obama are posted however anything that speaks unfavorable are tagged: "Your comment is awaiting moderation" and is later removed. Is that fair and unbiased? I dont think so. If Fox News and Hannity had never came out with the story on Barack and his minister the mainstream media and CNN would have never covered this story. And it appears this controversy aint going away anytime soon! Could Obamas campaign be going down in flames???

March 18, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Kristi Tenrriero

I was so moved today by Obama's speech and felt so proud that I have supported him through this campaign. I have been reading The Story of Ruby Bridges to my 5 year old daughter and in that story Ruby shows an enormous amount of courage by stopping in the middle of an angry crowd to pray for forgiveness for the the mob of white people that do not think she is good enough to attend a white school. My daughter and I discussed Obama's speech today and she asked me if he prayed for all of the people that think he is not good enough to be president. This from a 5 year old. If schools and parents around this country have not shown this speech to their children they are certainly doing them a disservice. Without this kind of leadership our country will not see the change it needs to move forward. I can only hope that people can look within themselves and do what is right for our nation.

March 18, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Gee

Love David Gergen!!

This was an awesome moment for America. As an African American, we have all heard similar messages given by Rev. Jeremiah Wright either at our home churches or while visiting others. As state, Sunday Mornings are the most segregated time and day of the week. It has only begin to change with the advent of the Mega churchs (i.e. Potter's House, New Birth, Lakewood, etc.)

For those that practice the Christian faith and not just ACT like they do, this is the moment when you move on to solving the issues that divide us.

America has lost it's place on the world stage. The US Dollar is well below the Euro, Yen and other foreign currency. We are struggling individually and we are struggling as a nation. China has setup shop in the most resource rich continent in the world. WHY? Because they don't have the same hangups about race that America has.

We must FORGIVE each other Band White and move on, or the hate that consumes us will result in the downfall of yet another great nation.

Profound CHANGE is what we need to show the world that AMERICA is better than the sum of it's parts.

OPRAH, "OBAMA is the one"!

March 18, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  11. linda

who will be advising barak obama when and if he becomes president the same pastor who siid those racial comments and downgraded the United States the same pastor that he refusesto distence himself from it sounds good for the troops tolisten tothis while they are at war just what they need to hear ,iguess that they will have to consider the source barak obama and his pastor

March 18, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Sonya

I think that Obama is still lying. There is much more that he is not telling. Just like a parent telling his or her children wat to do but stop short by saying don't tell anyone. Why would his wife, Michelle felt the way she does and Obama snobbed Hilary and kept saying that he will never be a Vice President. There is never going to be a dream team and he knows it. The Rev. has had more deeper discussion with Obama than anyone will evr imagine. How do we klnow that he did not play a hand in convincing Oprah to help Obama. I still am not convinced because there is still something else out there. First, he lied about the sermon ad then came back and said yes, I was aware that he was saying things like that. How can he be trusted. I great speeech is not the answere - he needs to put it all on the table. I can see his soul.

March 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  13. gatala

It amazes me how so-called Christians forget some of the most fundamental teachings of Christianity. Remember being taught about throwing the first stone? We are not supposed to forget or condone things that we know are not in accordance with the Christian way of life. We are not suppossed to heal those who don't need healing. By Sen. Obama refusing to "throw away" Rev. Wright, he is not agreeing with him, but rather hoping that his(Obamas') Christian behavior will set the example, one that not just the Rev. needs to follow. For those who can't or won't move on and learn the valuable lessons that can be learned, I feel sadness for you. I am so, so, proud to be an American citizen, an African American with a Scottish grandmother, a Sioux grandmother, an African grandfather, and an African American grandfather whose parents were both slaves. I am proud and proud of Sen. Obama for following his heart, popular or not.

March 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Dave

To all these people who applaud Obama for standing by his minister:
    What did you feel Hillary Clinton should have done with Geraldine Ferraro after she made a benign comment as verus Rev Wright who made toxic comments????

March 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Rachel Doster

God Bless America! What a wonderful day, what a proud moment in our history. I am beaming with pride. I am a fifty six year old (black ) woman trying to survive as a veteran school teacher. NCLB has stripped every vestige of joy from my profession. Barack Obama's eloquent speech is the soothing balm our country needs. Wise Americans can see through the hate filled racist rhetoric The fact is there is only one race; THE HUMAN RACE! Anyone that wants or needs to believe that they are SUPERIOR to any other human being by virtue of skin color is a FOOL. The TRUTH is America will get the President it deserves
    I love you Barack Obama. May God continue to bless you FIERCELY!

March 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Kimber Grace

I am usually a supporter of CNN, and I think Anderson Cooper is an excellent, non-biased reporter-but today on CNN I witnessed some of the most disgustingly biased so called "reporting" that I have ever seen. I may as well have been watching FOX. I am ashamed of you CNN-you have lost all credibility with me. DISGUSTING!
    As for Obama-he can thank Reverend Wright for losing my vote. I have absolutely no tolerance for racism of any kind, perpetrated against any people.(For the record, Barack and my family have very similar histories.)
    And to the Democrats(from an Independent voter)-great job in taking the election that Bush handed you on a gold platter and throwing it away. Bill Richardson was the most qualified of your candidates, and no one gave him a second thought. You don't deserve to win in November.

March 18, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Bob

If I were Obama, I would leave Rev. Wright's church.

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Joe

Victor Cornfoot... I listen to the speech... He lied yesterday saying he did hot hear the pastor say any of this stuff.. yet today he said he did... he said he disagreed with the statements yet he will stick by the bigot.... Maybe it is you that is looking at this through rose color glasses... I used to support OBAMA.. not I see him for what he is a charlatan, just another politician, an opportunist and I question his judgement

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Judy

While I understand that Campbell Brown is pulling double shifts and we appreciate it, I would much rather see Soledad back subbing for Anderson whenever possible. I understand Campbell is new and time will tell if she can hold the audience's attention during her own show but Soledad is much more seasoned and fun to watch. Sorry, I'm a regular viewer and this is my opinion. Of course, no one can replace Anderson, but when it comes to subbing not even Erica rates as highly as Soledad. CNN should give her her own show.
    On topic, the controversey with Obama is still as pressing an issue as ever and his speech only brought the racial divide to the for front.

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Lee

Denise, I agree with you. I'm 49 white, TRIED to vote for Obama but Floridians apparently don't have a right to vote. BUt, yeah... I've been in the south all my life... I've seen, and admittedly have done, mean and ignorant things because of race. I've prayed for forgiveness... I prayed to the same God that the reverend helped Obama learn about. If we could all learn to be good to each other things would be so much better. I can't say it any better than what Obama was saying today. I look forward to learning a lot more from him about how we can all be stronger together.

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Ola Edidi

I think it's high time that American media concentrate more on pressing issues, such as economy, healthcare, poverty than devoting all energy on infinitesimal issue of what Rev Wright said.

Enough of inviting various levels of panel to discuss unwanted topics like past speeches of any pastor. To me, this is already promoting division and racism!

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Robert

I can’t condemn a person for standing up and defending someone like Senator Obama stood up for his mentor Reverend Wright. Although the Senator’s (liberal) politics are different than my own and his pastor’s beliefs are different than my own, I appreciate the senator’s frankness and maturity in addressing this matter. He seems to be a man of integrity and thought.

He acknowledged the way things are perceived within this church. If we are to “go on” and address the issues, we’ve got to get these things out in the open without the emotions. Does he believe the things his pastor said? It would appear not. Was he influenced negatively by what his pastor said? Probably not anymore than I have been by one of my own uncles ranting about race issues in Detroit.

We’re a better country for having people like Barak Obama.

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Layla

It is not surprising that some people refuse to acknowledge the circumstances of racism and discrimination that is woven into the history of the United States. You say you acknowledge it and then you blast the frustration, thoughts, and and demeanor of the people who have experienced it for generation upon generation! Some speak from a place that wishes it would just go away without actually dealing with it. Never going to happen!

Yes, some of his comments are certainly wrong and unacceptable. He is not perfect nor beyond education and guidance. However evaluating the COMPLETE life of the man, the pastor, and the member of the American community at large he certainly makes some valid statements about race and politics in America and how it has affected minorities, particularly Black people.

Some are so quick to accept everything American as if there are only two sides-patriotism or treachery. For those of you with good intentions and a seasoned understanding of various cultures you can be honest about race in America and not be so offended. You can sympathize/empathize with the harsh realities of discrimination, what it has created in people and simultaneously denounce the words perpetuate ignorance and a lack of the spirit of unification.

I believe in Obama and his mission to unite and work for ALL people, that is the goal and the worthy fight. But there are still men and women in the trenches of Black America that have to fight for, focus on, and rebuild the Black community, the same way other communities have done for themselves. How arrogant some people are to ask a people who have been oppressed for generations to apologize for their reaction to being oppressed!!!

Bottom line, IF you are a sincere seeker of truth, IF you don't understand the source of Pastor Wright's words, IF you don't get why many Black people just won't move on...ASK!

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  24. erica hill

Someone mentioned a test would be whether a Democrat and a Republican could discuss today's speech... what about an Obama and a Clinton supporter? There seems to be more of a division sometimes (often on this blog) between Deomcrats right now than b/w the two parties... what do you think?

March 18, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  25. andy

is there a reason that your guest Faye a black woman, addresses Senator Obama, and Rev Martin Luther King as Mister. and Hilary Clinton Senator

March 18, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Pamela

Campbell sounds like a broken record. I turned the station. She sounds like she is very concrete and just doesn't have the capacity to think abstractly. Everyone of her guests has tried to get her to move beyond, "Why did Reverend Wright use those hateful words." The gospel of social liberation was explained to her. Did she get it? Doesn't sound like it. She has the wonderful guest who started the SCLC. He did a beautiful job of putting the Black church in context. The author of the Great Awakening tried to get her to think about the idea that Barack Obama brilliantly left America with a test today. She is failing miserably tonight. Does she care about the state of the union and moving it forward? David Gergen tried to free her up to think more deeply. What is going on with the press? I hope that we call for a strike and stop watching the news if you guys can't figure out how to stop feeding the people junkfood news.

March 18, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Renee Crenshaw

I am amazed at the level of ignorance that still exist in this country and how some White Americans refuse to believe that racism still exist. I didn’t realize how bad it was until the the late 1980s when I attended a college in Western PA and went out with friends to a neighborhood bar. One of the customers in the bar, jumped on the table in front of me and told me he was worst than Archie Bunker. Mind you I had done nothing to provoke this man. Also at this Western PA college I had a professor who became very upset with me to the point of crying and shaking because I asked her a questions about an assignment. She told me, “you people don’t belong here.” Then she proceeded to pray to Jesus. Two years ago, I moved into my home in a mixed neighborhood in VA, my white senior neighbors were asked if they were going to move because I was their new neighbor. Please tell me what these experiences sound like to you? America, we've got a long way to go and need to get our heads out of the sand for a better tomorrow for our children and for the future success of this country.

March 18, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Millie

I was terribly disappointed in Obama's speech. I'm not sure what I was looking for but that didnt do it for me. He appeared to be trying to justify what Rev Wright said. Then he compared the Reverend's rantings for years with one statement of Ferramo and a few comments by his grandmother. If i were his grandmother I would disown him.

March 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  29. Gurbuz

Dear 360 anchor

Who care what Mr Limbaugh said ? is he the best guy to get a respond in America or hear his opinion about Obama s campain.

He express his opinion about CNN almost evrey. Should I believe him now since his opinions are beig present as criteria even at CNN.

I think it is an unfurtunate event for me to watced a CNN anchor brought up what Limbough had to said about Obmas speech and race. I dont think Mr. Limbough is the best represent for Amarican ideas and its character.

March 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  30. Lucille Whitaker

I watched Obama's remarkable speech and I have been listening tonight to various political shows, including 360, for feedback....I've watched lots of clips showing Obama defending his pastor (and of course condemning his inflammatory statements) but the one statement I think most important for people to see has not been re-shown. That is where this man is coming from.....where Obama describes his pastor as a black man who experienced the 50s and 60s when there was so much turmoil and racial hatred. The description of this man coming from that turbulent time during that generation is so telling, and certainly does not excuse his statements, but certainly shows this is an older man with his own set of prejudices, and Obama rightfully gives him leeway because of this generational gap.
    This country has come a long way but sadly we have a very long way to go. I am an Obama admirer but I sometimes wonder whether he should be running for this office...If this country can't 'get' the message and the man, the country doesn't deserve such an intelligent,and insightful candidate.

March 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  31. MissL

As a Obama supporter I would like to add to his statement from his resounding speech today. Barrack stated that he could not condemn Rev Wright no more than he could condemn his white grandmother. I might add that niether Barrack nor myself a 45 aa female can condemn this country even after the abominations committed by this country towards my ancestors and people of color. Should abandon and disown the of our birth even it had abandoned us? No, We won't condemn and turn away from our america.

March 18, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Kelly - Saskatoon, Canada

Obama said he was not in church the day pastor Wright made the particular comments everyone is in media driven arms over. Obama forces everyone to think – and that is a good thing. It is fascinating to watch this unfold up here. Given your economy and the problems confronting those not at the trough of Bears Stern and the mess created in Iraq, whoever is President will have to do things different and must be different. Hillary and Bill are not the answer. I I wish I was American so I could vote, help the campaign and contribute to history. In Canada, we too are racist, especially towards our First Nations. If Americans choose Mr. Obama as its President – the world wins- big time!

March 18, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  33. chris

Hello Vickie this is an issue. it is an issue of how Obama will take or not take action when and if he becomes president. If he wont correct a pastor who exactly would he correct. Is he just going to sit there and let everyone act incorrectly and incite people to hate. The issue is he should have done something to correct his pastor or at least talk with him and he chose to do nothing then and chose to do nothing now. The President doesnt have that luxury.

March 18, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  34. carnell cooper

Rev. Wright's comments are not typical of what occurs in Afro-American churches.

March 18, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Christine

I am reading all these glowing comments on Obama's speech and can only believe that the CNN moderator is only posting them and not many of people who see Obama for what he is. Nothing to brag about!

To the person who is proud that he didn't throw the rev under the bus? He sould be thrown under a train. If I ranted about blacks like that and said black people were to blame for all bad things in America, I would be shot.

I know, I know this won't get pass either. Just makes me feel better.

March 18, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  36. John in NC

I applaud Barack Obama for standing with his minister in spite of some of the things Rev. Wright said. As a person trained in theology, I would go one step further. Rev. Wright's may have been harsh and may have been in error, but his responsibility to speak them is not only justified, but also imperative! America is not without sin! Many of our actions, as John Paul suggested, do result in adverse reactions. It is the prophet's role to tell it like it is (as he sees it)! No one wants to hear the prophetic word, but we need to hear it. Otherwise the only religious view we would have is that of Wright's critics, that America can do whatever it wants and God will bless us! Well . . It ain't necessarily so!

March 18, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Lea

Campbell, I think yocur coverage tonight was biased. You seemed to try to paint as much controversy into your questions as possible. Perhaps you were not aware???? The media must be responsible.

March 18, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Thomas

Folks, unless Hillary wins PA by 30 points and the rest of the states by 20 she WILL LOSE the nomination. And the Supers will NOT overide the people. The super delegates do NOT want to lose the new Obama voters and lose his $55 million monthly donations!
    The GOP hates Hillary and the clintons. They will mass together to do anything to beat her!

March 18, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Lewi

What I don't get is how Obama has been in the church 20 years, and not have heard one of these speeches or at least the one after 9-11. Obama is a LIER. He lies on Iraq in which he actually made speeches in 2004 that his view and Bush's view of staying in Iraq were similar, and also in 2006 when he would not approve a date for pulling troops out, and now in 2008 when his adviser said he had no real plan to pull troops out. He has made contradicting statements not once but three times.

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Maureen T

No matter what people are saying Barack Obama's speech moved me immensely! And brought me to tears! Barack Obama is today's Martin Luther King Jr. The torch has been passed to Senator Obama! Go Barack!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Tricia Charlotte, NC

On your show, Rev Wallace suggested that all Americans should watch Obama's speech and with their children.

Does he recommend we all watch the Rev. Wrights speeches also, and with our children?

I would have to guess the answer would be no on that one, don't you think?

Yes, it was a wonderful speech but alas, it was just a speech.

For my President, I want actions, not words.

I want actions and associations that are respectful to me, my country, and the world NOT what Obama stated plainly that he was not going to give up.

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Linguistics 101

The PA speech was boring, the glorification of it is a media circus. Obama is practicing identity politics, winking at one market segment while addressing another. Same as his advisors do. People are subconsciously attracted to the glottal stop in his speaking: it doesn't make him decisive or insightful, it's just a breathing error. Voice lessons could take care of it, but he'd lose half his influence. 😉

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Lilibeth

So Erica, will we see Ali tonight? If not tonight, tomorrow?

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  44. skm

Let us not forget, Barack did not help turn the heat on for the poor suffering people in the 11 buildings in his own district, even though he had total influence both thru his state senate office and thru his friend Rezko who owned the building. These are very large apartment complexes with literaly hundreds of people in each building. No Joke! No kidding.. It is not humane!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Lisa

Campbell, Let it go. You heard from Rev. Lowery and the guy from Soujourners–it looks like you're trying to fill an hour by WHINING ("Whyyyyyyyyyy? Why are Black people so maaaad? Faye is sitting right here next to me and she loves me! She could be my new Black friend!") bringing up the same point over and over again. If white voters don't want to vote for Barack, that is their right.
    I'm tired of pundits who have no understanding of everyday people!
    THIS IS ANNOYING. Senator Obama said what he is going to say. If you'reopen to it, God bless you. If not so be it.

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Rene

Why is it that no matter what Senator Obama explains the comments are 'did he do enough?" "Should he have given us more?" When is it enough? Why is he being raked over the coals for someone elses comments? Why is more demanded of the candidate who has disclosed his documentation than from the candidate that has not? This is ridiculous. I'm glad many of you are not God, because who of us would be forgiven? And the scary part is that these are NOT comments made by Senator Obama.

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Karen Keefe

For Obama to continue denying things clearly proven–NAFTA, Rezko, Rev. Wright–shows his lack of judgment and the arrogant belief that the very biased mainstream media will keep coddling him. How many times can the Democratic Party, media and voters give this man a free pass? No white candidate of any ethnicity–Irish, Polish, German, etc.–could get away with one year of listening to such inflammatory words from a preacher without losing his/her Senate seat and being summarily dismissed from the presidential primaries. That Obama has had 20 years of this terrible rhetoric is frightening enough. That he is allowed to get away with it where any other candidate is not–is despicable. Media, are you going to play fair NOW???

March 18, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Victor Cornfoot

Joe you need to educate yourself a bit more. He didn't agree with him. In fact, just short of throwing the kitchen sink at the reverend he denounced him.

March 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Marie

I wholly disagree with the naysayers. Obama did not flipflop on what he said Friday. Friday's remarks were about a few specific sermons which when they were preached, he was NOT present. Today he acknowledged that he knew his pastor would make vitriolic statements,with which he did not agree. WHY do the naysayers insist that he disavow his pastor????
    I submit-there was no insistence that Catholics should disavow the Catholic Church when sooooo many priests were found to be pedefiles and that the church hierarchy supported them Neither was there a galloping stampede of Catholics OUT of the Catholic church in disavowal. Why should the standard be different for Obama?
    Why can't he too. like the majority, separate the person from their actions? Parents do it daily with their children. They rarely throw them-their children- under the bus.
    So I ask, is the insistence for Obama to do what the average white media person MIGHT be prone to do, a double standard for Blacks vs Whites?
    Could it be a Clinton effort to raise and fan the flames on Obama to divert the election to another Clinton?

March 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Brenda

This was the best speech that I have ever heard regarding race in America. He just made me want to vote for him even more. He has white and black blood in his veins. He understands how whites and blacks feel. He took the time to explain how he feels on this subject. He talked to the American people and explained his feelings. No one else would have been so candied. I am like the other blogger this was the best State of The Union I have heard. Just imagine we might all start listening to the State of the Union Address if we had someone we wanted to listen to unlike President Bush. How many of us are guilty of changing the channel? Media get over it! Let's get back on the issues of the economy and the Iraq War. Democrat's help stop the madness! Let's get back to the issues and stop talking about the preacher.

March 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm |