March 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/18/03

Anderson is prepping for a day on the road with Barack Obama in North Carolina. Watch for that tomorrow.

So tonight Campbell Brown is pulling double duty and helping us out on 360°. Please be kind.

It's been a big day on the 360° blog.  And most of it has been about Barack Obama and his speech in Philadelphia. And that's what most of tonight's program is about too.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jane in Minnesota

Not impressed with Obama's speech. What I would be impressed with is if he showed a little more American pride. This is a man who is running for President of the United States!!! He refuses to wear a flag pin, he refuses to put his hand over his heart during OUR national anthem, and he aligns himself with an anti-American spirtual advisor for 20 years! THIS COUNTRY DOES NOT NEED AN ANTI-AMERICAN PRESIDENT!

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Susan from Michigan

Yes Wallis– This is now a test of us. Watch the speech!

Campbel–Why doesn't CNN only play these negative chips of Reverend Wright–why not do some investigative journalism and find some of the positive clips that inspired Obama's positive message. What matters is not what our influences are but which of them we take to heart and promote. I'd like to hear some of those sermon clips about the audacity of hope. I even have the audacity to hope CNN will look for them!

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  3. mike doty

Barack Obama is the only presidential candidate that voted no to the war in Iraq. Why has there been no major news media coverage of the "WINTER SOLDIER" symposium that is currently going on in Maryland? There is alot of rascist epithets that are being promoted by our military officers in charge. That is very apparent by listening to the testaments of the returning soldiers.

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Stephanie in Alabama

Hello Campbell hope you are having fun.

As for Senator Obama's speech – I think every viewer will see it in the way they wish. Those that wanted to see him outright reject and walk away from the church will be disapointed. However, I heard a speech calling to all Americans to move past racial anger.

I understand the not leaving a church for some remarks by a pastor. Years ago I heard my preacher give a sermon on a woman's place in the home. The thing that sticks out, even now, was his assertion that even if the woman was a CPA and the man could not add 1+1 and come up with 2 – the husband should handle the finances in the home. Clearly sexist thinking.

I hate bringing religion to CNN's site, but was not one of Christ sentiments – love the sinner not the sin? I feel this is what Senator Obama is doing. Respecting Rev. Wright but not his words.

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  5. julie

I completely agree with Katt's remarks. I am a 57 year old white woman who grew up with racist parents. I acknowledge that I don't know what it's like to be black and i will probably will never know.

But I do know that I appreciate Senator Obama's statements and I believe more than ever that he is the person we need now in this divisive country. He has conducted himself with dignity and with love of this country. And I dare say that perhaps he appreciates being an American more than many white folks who take for granted their rights and privileges.
    Yes We Can come together to make this a better country....ALL OF US.

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Miguel

I have never heard a politician speak to the issue of race with such honesty and directness as Obama did today. And we should commend him for courageously moving us past the sensationalism of unfortunate sound-bytes to the core issue at hand, America's unresolved relationship to race and to a legacy of slavery that has shaped the social and economic fabric of this country. And yet the message is still one of Unity. However, we need to truly understand this history in order to heal and move towards a more perfect union. We all have a stake in this, all people, all colors.

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Ron Cam

It is a travesty to give Obama a continuing platform to discuss his candidacy just because his pastor made some controversial statements. As Geraldine Ferrarao correctly pointed out, he is given a free ride because of his race. This is confirmed in his own speech where he subtly implies that he is the best candidate for unity because of his DNA (a blantant affront to pure blacks or whites). I don't understand the effusion of your talking heads about his speech. We don't want a history lesson or more empty speeches from Obama (or any other fluff). We need substance, a list of accomplishments, and some iota of proof that he has been an effective change agent in the past. Instead you media types continue to let him bypass this essential test and ridiculously compare him to Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy.

March 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  8. Debra (Florida)

I think Obama did an excellent job of putting race into a perspecttive from different views. Job well done

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Tara Burlington,Ont

Obama has given the best political speech on race relation in my generation! He was genuine and sincere. The issue of racial divede in America is a PROBLEM that is commonly ignored. Today he has made an impact on many people with his perspective. His speech was historic, and I hope from this day forward the world will start to open their eyes to racial divide.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Friend

Barak brought it home today, if you did not understand watch again with your kids they will explain it to you.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  11. chris

Obama admitted he sat in church and heard a powerful man telling 8,000 people looking for guidance and direction, a message of hate toward the white man and this country, and he did nothing to stop the man or try to talk to him at all. Is this the type of ACTION Obama is going to take towards other world leaders when they do the same or worse if he should become president?

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Vickie

I am an African American democrat. I am sadden by the comments I am reading. Many of you have never stepped foot in an African American Church, if you did, you would be shocked. I think the real blow out is the reporting of the "so called news" by CNN, Glen Beck and other. Are you all on Hillary's payroll? If Hillary wins this election it will be because the media quit reporting the issues and begin a lynching campaign on Pastor Wright and Obama. You have a noose around Obama's neck and you (the media) keep tightening it everyday. You have blown this way out of the waters. If Hillary wins the nomination, she will have many of you to thank. Stop the madness and report the issues. I don't know Pastor Wright, but I believe he is a man that loves God, his country and Obama. For all you democrats that want McCain to win, keep going in this direction with the comments about Obama, and McCain will be a shew in. You think the economy for the middle-class is terrible now, just wait.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Mr. Obama’s speech doesn’t change the way I vote…I will still support Sen. Clinton. But if it turns out he becomes Democratic nominee, he has my full and enthusiastic vote.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  14. don

just as i thought obama if you look at the debates the only thing he knows to do is repeate what the candiate before him says especially clinton after she goes first he repeates what she says but addes just a little more trying to make it look different. obamas speech today was not on his pastor as it should be he got free air time to give a political speech on every network, boy can he snooker you guys not a pennie spent for free time. he is a flip flopper and attended this guys church for 20 years i wouldn't do that i'd leave he didn't. he's no j f k or m l k just another politician the wing of the democrate party that' hates the clintons has sponsered to put in. look deeper you might find more. i love this country and obama sat in that church and never even tried to talk to his pastor about his views, GOD BLESS AMERICA MR. OBAMA

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Jolene

@Sabrina, Las Vegas, NV: You have a good point. However, this is what happens when you mix religion with politics. Anger and/or passion will always prevail. What is very unfortunate here, is that people are changing their minds and not voting for Obama because of his religious beliefs.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  16. chill

Joseph Legler, If Obama had not attended this church or had not been raised by his white blue collar grandparents, there is no way he could have made such a speech today. What better person is there than Barack Obama who can help us all including your relatives and my relatives to begin the process of putting the legacies of hate and oppression "to the winds of time." And, in order to do this, you have to stay and work it through to reconciliation and justice. Barack's speech today, shows that he has what it takes to bring everyone's issues to the table because he sees and understands their pain and you cannot cure that pain by walking away.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  17. Robert

It took Ms. Wattleton so long to get to the point that I forgot the question.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Mi Young

Although I give Obama credit for not disowning his pastor whom he considers a family member, voters should keep in mind the undeniable fact that Reverend Wright was to Obama a personal mentor, someone from whom he received much advice and counsel over a period of twenty years.

To choose as a mentor who uses the pulpit to bring about more frustration and anger instead of preaching forgiveness and edification says quite a bit about the lack of discernment Obama has when it comes to the people of influence he surrounds himself with.

This is a very legitimate concern to voters who know that the future president will hand pick leaders that will be of much influence to him/her in office.

March 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Michele

I applaud Sen. Obama for speaking on the issues of race because racism is still prevalent in our society today. Despite the fact that Barack Obama is a viable candidate for the U.S. presidency, there are still many white Americans bent on condemning and criticizing the senator because he is a black man.

I think Rev. Wright's comments have been blown out of proportion. How many leaders in the U.S. Senate and Congress (identified as Catholics) have stepped down from his/her position when Catholic priests were exposed and found guilty of child molestation? None!

Were the minister's words more insulting than the racial stereotypes that have been perpetuated in this country for centuries? No. Were his words as despicable as the inhumane treatment and racist writings, teachings, actions, and crimes leveled against African Americans, Native Americans, Asians, and Jews? Of course not! Are people in America still being left out & left behind–economically, socially, and politically–because of the color of their skin? Yes!!!

The citizens of this country are going to have to deal with the issues of race, racism, and inequality *head on* if we truly want to live in an America that is *united*.

March 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Concerned American

Come on commentators! It was a speech and that's all. Jim Wallis is trying to convince the world of what? CNN, you have a responsbility to get to the truth. Start asking questions and quite trying to apologize for racial inequality of the past. Egg shells!

March 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  21. skm

well, Barack is part of the setting.. for 20 years.. racist remarks are just that..wherever they are made and there was anti-american statements being made..

Barack is mired in the problem.. and has not been part of the solution..

March 18, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Ed from Durham NC

Personally, I thought Obama's speech was fine. Most moderate sources seem to agree. But the speech is already being dismissed by multiple sources on the right.

For the right, this is not about the imperfect Rev. Wright, or about Obama rejecting Wright's hyperbole.

It’s about destroying Obama’s trans-racial appeal, thereby crippling his ability to win swing voters. It allows the right to play both the race card and the religion card ("ok, maybe he’s not Muslim – but he goes to that radical black church – there's that picture with him embracing that pastor!").

It allows the right to say “you can’t vote for Obama – he’s completely unlike you, and will not help you.” The right cannot let this go. Rush Limbaugh has already made their talking point clear, and it's to minimize Obama in the minds of the voters to nothing more than "the black guy."

As Obama noted (diplomatically): If they succeed, the entire process suffers. Maybe instead of a 30 minute speech, Obama needs to come up with his own 30-second soundbite to counter it....

So: will we be distracted by this song and dance about Obama's pastor, or will we insist that the focus return to what Obama (or McCain) can do for us average folks? Issues matter, and the people actually running for office matter. A lot of this sound and fury signifies nothing but attempts at obfuscation and division.

March 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Jim Wallis has a point, but the anger he talks about leaving behind has to be left behind by not only whites but Blacks too.

March 18, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Melissa

I am right on board with "Very Concerned American"
    I don't see how people can't see this..... everything is coming out

Obama's campaign has run on reverse racism and has come back to bite them. They were quick to accuse former President Clinton and Mrs. Ferrero of racism which in no way was true.

Now we see that Obama is involved with people who are anti-americans.

March 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Evie RC

I respect Obama's reality check speech. There has been too much denial in America about what is the racial truth. This inspirational message
    addressed a truth that Pennsylvania can embrace ,respect and I have faith that the people of Pennsylvania will use their wisdom to vote for a good man, a truth giver- and a candidate that will represent the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..

March 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Anne

I am a white 64 year old female. My husband and I relocated 4 years
    ago from Ohio, and currently live just north of Charlotte, NC. Both of us are so excited to see someone like Barack Obama come along in
    politics. He speaks from the heart, tells it like it is, very smart and
    shows that we need to get rid of politics as usual. I feel he offers more than hope, but a destiny for future generations to come together. which this country and the world desparately need. Wish I
    could see him in Charlotte tomorrow!!! He has our vote and support.

Anne
    Terrell, NC

March 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  27. DeniseGA

To those who keeps saying they can't believe he took his family around this man.....stop.....

we heard 8, 20-30 sec sound bites, do you really think the man said those things every sermon 1-2 hours, for 40 years..

No, the congregation whether they agreed or not would have told him to move on....come on people.....

Wow I can't believe people are soooo judgemental....

have you never heard someone make a slur and not correct them immediately? Because if you didn't, you have no right to be sooo judgemental...

We don't know what they talked about in private....

We have yet to hear ONE full sermon....

Stop spreading and perpetuating hate....

Isn't it christian like to forgive?

March 18, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Joe

Sue Dinetz you have got to be kidding... 20 years in a church with a bigot and he did not noticed.... lack of judgement is like it... or worse he agrees with the bigot...

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  29. 4 Obama NC

Obama speech today was very so needed in this United States of America. His speech today hopefully made everyone looks into his or her own thoughts about race. Obama showed loyalty, pride, and respect to himself and the people of America. Should we ask all Catholics to denounce their faith due to child molestation in the catholic community? Should we ask the preacher who preaches hatred towards African Americans in the name of the bible? Should young white people separate themselves from a loving grandparent who in the same breath uses the “N” word to describe black folk? Can you?

Obama spoke to all of America to see the injustice and racial divide and ask that we take a look and try to work towards getting past this. WOW!!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  30. priscilla

i think America has talent. Bravo Obama. i have alot of respect for that man. he did not chew his words, was not afraid to speak out. that is what we need in a leader. if it was Obama who has won 14 contest out of the many held like Hillary the media will be asking him to step down. give the guy credit he has done so well. why crucify him for something that he did not say. as if we don't have anyone in our lives that has said something bad. grow up America

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  31. Albert Ramos

Why is it that no one is mentioning that last Friday evening...Mr. Obama was interviewed on 360 by Anderson Cooper and Obama said that he never once heard divisive comments in the church and now today, Obama says yes he did he hear angry and divisive comments while he was attending church...what is the truth...? Why is the media not mentioning this story...? All I hear from all the pundits is what a good speech it was, but shouldn’t we be looking for the truth?? Isn’t that what the media is here for?

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  32. nan

I have wanted so much to be a supporter, and everything about my background, ethnicity, and class would dictate that I would be. But I don’t find Senator Obama moral. I find him slippery. If he were truly moral, he would not have leveraged thisexposure of his core spiritual leader for what he is to one end: controlling the damage and getting our vote. This pastor’s language is untenable, hateful, hurtful. Rather than inspiring, it fans the flames of rage–not his congregation's “angels” but their “demons.” If there had been children in that church on that day I would have been devestated. Please ask the questions journalists should ask: why is it that Senator Obama first denied knowing of these inflammatory remarks when Mr. Cooper interviewed him, but yet today said that he indeed did know? I would like to like him. But my own moral b…… detector will not allow me to. Doublespeak about our Chicago conman/criminal. Doublespeak about NAFTA. Doublespeak about the Reverand. Doublespeak about transcending race. And doubleness is the word: in keeping with the double standard that has been the hallmark of this campaign, if Senator Clinton’s spiritual advisor had been caught making these comments with the races reversed, her race–in the political sense–would be over.

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  33. C assie

I am a non-white South African who left South Africa to go to Canada during the Apartheid years for fear I would be killed for my radical views on race. I was very, very, angry and it took Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela to ease the anger in me and accept reconciliation. Neither Barack Obama nor the Reverend Wright are near there yet. We never had radical "black" churches in South Africa although the extreme whites had theirs. I believe that Bill and Hillary Clinton have done much more for racial equality than Barack Obama has ever done. What was he doing for the 20 years he sat in the pews, closing his eyes and clapping in comparison to what Bill and Hillary have been doing for equality. He only want to preach reconciliation now that he is running for president. Americans should choose the most qualified candidate without silly emotion. I believe that is Hillary Clinton.

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Leolal

Barack Obama is the jewel of the presidency race. He has the backbone and the integrity that I have not witnessed in none of the other candidates. His speech on race today was the best speech I have heard from a political figure since Martin Luther King.

Barack Obama is not racist, but the mostly white media is. And as far as radio talk show host Rush Linbaugh is concerned, what he need to do is consider is drug abusive ways. How dare this drug abuser to condem Barack. Rush Linbaugh is the most racist of racists in the United States of America. If anything, he seems to be a KKK without the hood and the robe. Extreme cowardiceness.

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  35. concerned mom in PA

Great speech! Very powerful!

While he denounced Rev.Wrights anti-American sermons. I still have questions.

How may men, women and children were in attendence and unlike Obama believe every word. I still feel Rev. Wright's semons were dangerous and anyone who sit though them has to believe some of what he's saying.

I know I would never sit and listen to these anti-American, Hate, Conspiracy sermons. God Forbid never would I want my Children or Grandchildren to hear such HATE.

Today he claimed he was in attendence at some of these sermons. Were his children also in attendence and if so how do you explain to you children some of the terrible things that GODS MINISTER has just said. I find so much of this very troubling.

I wonder what kind of a President Obama would be if for 20 years he said nothing sat back and listened. Yet now he speaks out about all the wrongs in politics.

March 18, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  36. JUSTIN

how populated would the world have to be in order for us to dis-own a person or persons everytime they said something or did something that was inflammatory or even wrong. seems to me you would end up with extremely segregated populations. we have been there and done that.....his cousin cheney supported a war that has killed thousands of people have they dis-owned this president and admin.....and we are discussing words that might have been offensive to some........ i wonder how many object to those words... also object to this war that was waged under hate and oppression.

March 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Sabrina, Las Vegas, NV

CNN….

After reading the post of some of your bloggers, I've come to the conclusion that they're just plain hateful. And, spewing their venom without regards to others, is simply ignorant. I also believe, that these same individuals, would not vote for a black man anyway. So, why even comment, it's simple, they want to make sure that the hostile environment of divide conquer continues.

March 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Gihugh

Hello, Campbell, Sen. Obama gave a excellent speech today he gave a speech from his heart, I have never witness a politican in my life time raise the bar to this level.
    What's so sad is that MOST Americans are just not smart enough to understand what he was saying.

March 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Peggy Carlisl

As usual Barack can deliver a good speech. However, the hypocrisy that rang thru out the speech was nauseating. I cannot beieve he would compare statements made by his white grandmother that raised him (after his black father left him) with the hateful, angry words of his pastor. I am sick of the whining. Move on and quit living in the past and start taking responsibility for your own actions today. Too many black ministers make a living by keeping their congregations feeing beat down and oppressed by white people.
    Be honest-where did you hear the worse racist comments this week?

March 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  40. Jersey Girl

Katt, it was great reading your comment. That was a question that I had through this whole issue. I wondered if the people who are so offended would choose to admit that they have family members and friends (perhaps clergy as well) who make racial comments regularly. I think both white and blacks can attest to this. I am a black woman who has a gay ,Irish best friend who makes comments about a certain group all of the time. While I do not agree with him, he is still my friend based on his overall character and the friend that he has been to me. Thanks for both your truthfulness and forward thinking.

March 18, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Kevin, GA

I am an African American and supported Barack Obama throughout this entire election until this entire "Pastor Wright" story broke. While I want to believe Obama loves America and supports its cause, I just cannot agree with the fact that he had no idea what was said in the church. I believe he knew and for some odd reason he continued to support the pastor everyday. For this reason, I will support Hillary Clinton throughout the rest of the primaries. It is just sad to see Barack Obama fall from grace because of an ignorant, racist pastor.

March 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Elaine

I applaud Obama's speech. It was eloquently done; it was sincere; challenging; powerful. First of all, Obama was placed in this position, through no doing of his own; and since this is the hand he was dealt via the media, whoever the person (or persons) was (or were) , who turned the tape in on his paster; he rose to the occasion, as he usually does. As we all know, Obama did not initiate the "race" issue; it appears a lot of other entities around him did; he has done everything in his power to stay away from race. Secondly, sadly enough, there is still a double standard in this nation. It is unfortunate that Obama had to provide an explanation of his pastor's comments, but no other candidate, whether Republican or Democrat, has had to do the same; when we know that some conservatives' pastors make inappropriate comments, and even embrace talk show hosts such as Rush Limbaugh; that person does not have to go through the same scrutiny as Obama has had to. This is totally unfair. My last comment is this: Though Obama was put in this position; he responded with grace, love, and peace; and challenged America, for each individual to look within, search their hearts. When we stand in the mirror, who do we see? We know how we feel about others who might not "look like us", but I think we need to recognize, we have more similiarities, if we look more closely, than differences.

March 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  43. skm

We need to always ask WHO is saying the words and why.
    – 20-year association with this non-sense and ANTI-AMERICANISM.
    – never tried to reform from within
    – didnt help get heat for hundreds of families in 11 buildings in low-income district in Chicago.. his own district.. buildings owned by Rezko.
    – trying to save his skin in the campaign...

Slickest ever.

America can see thru this.. hoodwinking attempt... He gave 45 minutes of written, teleprompted speech.. and you gavehim the rest of the day..

March 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  44. cn

Obama seems to be reminding us to question ourselves on a personal level at home, in our neighborhoods, churches, workplaces, recreational places. What choices do we make based on race in our daily lives?

His speech encourages us to think about how we view each other on a personal level.
    Does a teacher see a student or does a teacher see the color of a student first?
    Does a doctor see a patient or does a doctor see the color of a person first?
    Do I see my neighbor as a white neighbor or a black neighbor?
    Will white Christian ministers come to Rev. Wright to comfort his pain and discomfort on racial matters?
    Can an anchorman of any race be readily accepted, trusted, believed?
    Will we ever have a presidential race where there is no polling data based on race? Imagine what we are telling the rest of the world when the media spend hours on displaying and discussing polling data on race. That says a lot to the rest of the world about racial problems in our country.

March 18, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Victor Cornfoot

Morin you need to get past this. Unsatisfactory, according to who? you? what more would you like him to do? In fact how much more does he need to speak on this topic to satisfy those who are critical of him? My guess is for the rest of the primaries.

March 18, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Sue Dinetz

Senator Obama has something that can't be taught and can't be bought. He has wisdom. He understands there are shades of grey in every situation. He possesses the unique ability to really think through different situations. He seems to evaluate them from all sides, considers the facts, and then acts upon them. He's gained more respect from me today than he had in the past and I didn't think that was possible. My husband, a conservative, is now a supporter too. The speech was delivered with great emotion. It was brilliant.

March 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  47. nancy ottofy

Please stop the spin. Barack Obama lied to the American people. First , he says he never heard Rev Wright controversial sermons, then he says, of course I know his sermons are controversial. He says I hardly know Resko and he has only contributed a small amount of money to his campaign, then he says Resko has given 250,000 in support. First he says he had no real estate dealings with Resko, then says he might have made a bad decision with Resko regarding a lot next to his Chicago home.

I am also shocked to think he would compare rev wright with his Grandmother who raised him and sacrificed when his own father left the family and was a bigamist. I am sorry but,there is no comparison, I know because I am raising my Grandson.

Where there is smoke there is a good chance of fire I say we say goodbye Barack.

March 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  48. adrian

I am very frustrated at how many commentators CNN interview who support Obama! CNN keeps saying that it's a fair network, but if you really analyze it, it epitomizes the kind of media that Saturday Night Live poked fun of. On Friday night, when Obama made the rounds doing interviews with different networks explaining his relationship with Pastor Jeremiah Wright, I found that even Anderson Cooper was the least aggressive in choosing the right questions to shed light on the issue that would let "us" the viewers make our own decisions for ourselves. Un-biased! Really?

March 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Doug

America is not full of dumb people! Common since has to prevail sooner or later! Common sense tells me that if i know my pastor for over 20 years and had been married by him and had my kids baptised by him i am going to know who he is!!! Yes this means i am going to know the good and the BAD! Anyone that says different is just not being realistic! Lets wake up and smell the dirty air before it's to late, PLEASE!

March 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  50. maryclaire

The best way to determine how well Barack Obama did today in overcoming tis "distraction" is to try and have a conversation with a conservative Republican about it. They are so fixated on Rush Limabugh politics and how to keep Obama out of the race, it's almost embarassing. They would do just about anything to have Hillary elected and run against john McCain

Aside from that, I am so pround of Barack Obama for this speech. He is a healer, and he is an incredible leader. I have great faith that when all is said and done, and we turn out the lights, and lay in bed at night with only our own thoughts, that Americans will know that he is authentic, honest, human and true. And that he was able to put into words what we all truly, inherently know, and that we must accept, and address. If he is not our nominee, our country will be reminded of what a disappointment it is that he did not win for years to come when his words echo back to us. He is a once in a lifetime choice.

How incredible is it to have this great responsibility. I thank God for it.

March 18, 2008 at 10:34 pm |