March 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/18/03

Anderson is prepping for a day on the road with Barack Obama in North Carolina. Watch for that tomorrow.

So tonight Campbell Brown is pulling double duty and helping us out on 360°. Please be kind.

It's been a big day on the 360° blog.  And most of it has been about Barack Obama and his speech in Philadelphia. And that's what most of tonight's program is about too.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Robert

The more people that come out in support of Rev. Wright, the worse the reception.

March 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Tom Hocknell

On Anderson Cooper 360 Friday Obama said that he never heard inflamitory comments from The Pastor, Yet in his speech today he said he did. If this was Clinton you would be all over her. Nit picking every word that was said. Obama also said on Anderson Cooper this he is where he is today in part because of the efforts of blacks, whites and browns working in the civil rights movement. When Bill Clinton said the same time back before the South Carolina primary, you all said that that diminished Obama. Is this another example of the 'N' word, where it is ok for backs to say it but not ok for whites. I think the media should get back to the issues that matter.

March 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  3. erica hill

As much as some of you may disagree with your fellow bloggers, there is an incredible amount of passion on this blog every night.

March 18, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  4. gary c

Everything that Mr. Obama has done or will do in the future will be scrutinized because of who he is and for the audacity to be seeking the highest seat in the land. It is a fact that he and his supporters have accepted.

As a person who grew up outside of the U.S for the first 11 years of my life, in a society that was ethnically diverse. Coming to the states and having the N word thrown at me was a shock to my 11 year old psyche. America needs to own the history of racism that is engrained in its systems. I'm sorry, but caucasian people can never understand the pain that many people of color feel. Has the average caucasian person given any serious taught to what the pastor was saying. What would cause this man to make such statements.

Dig deep into the pastors statements, besides the spin being broadcasted in the media, conduct your own research. But then again the media expects that many will not want to engage in such work. So they'll package it up for you. Good luck people.

March 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Roosevelt Hale

After leaving the Six Floor Museum today in Dallas I got the feeling of just how much alike these two men are. John Kennedy and barak Obama. The queston of their relegion and the office of the Presidential office. Through it all, they both hold true totheir personal beliefs and asks us as americans to think outside the box for change.

Rosey!!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Steve

I thought the speech was good, but I just have a hard time getting out of my mind the fact that he and Michelle would take their daughters to hear that hate and perhaps have it placed into the minds of another generation. As a white male, father of my own bi-racial son whom my wife and I are doing our level best to explain right and wrong in the world and the terrible wounds that bigotry can bring upon people of all races, well, I would have walked away from the church. And by the way, I have attended many African American churches in Chicago and have never heard that kind of language, so please, don't tell me it's a "black thing".........

March 18, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Juanita Parks

I am a single parent. I recently became a widow. I am self employed and tryingt to send my only child to college. I ofter have to choose between health care and his financial needs. I should not have to choose between his education and his health care. I want to know how I will solve this type of problem - not what Senator Oboma's former pastor said before he retired. Why are you spending so much time on a story designed to tear down the character of a good man. It this what you call news. Do the members of the Catholic faith leave the church because the child abuse. Not at all. Think about what you're doing.

March 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Olga Winbush, Ph.D

Senator Obama's speech was very powerful and truthful and spoke to the heart of what is and has always been America's problem- race, racism, and racialization. You are all treating this huge issue that cuts at the core of America as a black problem. Race, racism and racialization is not a black problem, it is an everybody problem. It is an issue that was created and has been maintained historically by Euro-Americans, particularly Euro-American land owners, elite, those who have had historical power, as a means of keeping a divide and conquer going between the working classe and masses of people of all colors. Race began with Euro-Americans and has been maintained and perpetuated by Euro-Americans through enslavement, legislation that created segregation and discrimination, and the very nuanced pieces of race that we see today in the 21st century, beginning with your coverage of this story. The media puts forth race as only a black/people of color problem while omitting the role of Euro-Americans in these issues of race and racism. Race is an everybody problem that did not begin with African-Americans or other groups of color. Thus for the media, including CNN to have only Senator Obama defend his racial views and speak to race, while not calling on Senator Clinton, and Senator McCain to defend and address their racial views and values and the racial values of the Euro-American community keeps the issue of racism alive and well. It keeps the divide and conquer among the masses of working class people black, white, red, brown, and yellow thriving , a divide which Senator Obama is seeking to overcome and bring together so we can solve the real issues that affect all of America's people. Racism exists in all segments of our society and to have the media, CNN ignore it's existence in the Euro-American community and it's impact on that community does nothing but perpetuate racism. All sides should be brought to the table and all stories should be told- Senator Obama is trying to do this, will you in the media call on Senators Clinton and McCain to address this issue from a Euro-American perspective sharing their racial values and stories or will you continue to perpetuate that this is a Black problem which has nothing to do with the white community and which the white community has no stake in?

March 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. VERY Concened American

Obama didn't know that his preacher for 20 years talked like he did on the pulpit.

This pastor supports Farrakhan an anti-semite.
    This was the "black power" generation.
    It's hate and scarey.

For Obama to ask his supporters to jump on board with any radical leader is unfair.

No white person would recommend that we jump on board with the KKK.

Wake up America!

I love this country and do not care if anyone is black or white. We cannot have any candidate talk so poorly about our country. We cannot vote for a candidate that calls this pastor a MENTOR.

This is frightening!

March 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. carlos

You know, alot of people don't look and the glass as half full, The glass (TV) isn't even giving you half this time. If you are making your judgements on sound bites that are edited to fit a story line, then you are not truly informed and will make and irrational decision. We as a people need to take a time to lead ourselves in our research instead of sitting on the couch and accepting what the media researches for us. i have done my research have you? Ignorance is no excuse!

March 18, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. connie PA

As a white female, from pennsylvania I was touched by Obama's speech today, literally brought to tears. As a white in a predominantly white community I can understand why blacks are frustrated. The same frustration that whites now feel with our economy and tremendous loss of jobs in the u.s. I felt Obama spoke out loud what alot of whites have thought, but have no outlet to speak about it. We need to make improvements in our nation for ALL discrimination, bigotry, hate, and fear. I don't believe he could have said anymore than he did today, to show who this man really is.
    I have relative who is a preacher. I love him, but I don't agree with everything he says, when he can be hardheaded and hurtful, in the name of religion. But, I will not turn my back on him, or publicly denouce this relative either! You have to put this in context. He has denounced the speech as hurtful and unexcusable, but would we expect him to dispose of a part of his family? I certainly wouldn't. If more people believe the way he did, that every one of us have faults, but how would you overcome the faults, if everyone who you loved, and you turned to for support, walked away from you WHEN you made a mistake??? If we can't stand up for those you love, when they are wrong, how do we expect nations to get along, to build communication lines, to build are international leadership when we denounce and turn on backs on every country, who does not think and talk like we do. We need to say...we are different but I'm willing to talk to you and see what we can get together on...that is what a LEADER does. We have lived with division, my way or the highway for 7 years...how has that worked for us America??? We nend to change the way we have been livng and thinking...if we truly want change for the world.
    We need our nation to heal. We need to have more understanding of each other, we need to come together as a nation, not as blacks against whites...and dems against rep. We are one nation....with a political system that has turned away so many voters...by being so negative and hateful. As he said...nothing will change...IF we continue down the same path. I want more for my children. I want them to live in an America where dreams CAN come true, not hearing about the "old" American dream...that they no longer have a chance at! We need to be united, we need to LISTEN more than we talk, we need to LEARN to have understanding for those who are different than us, to heal this great divide in our country.
    Can we give our children this?? I BELIEVE we can....I believe we can give our children a legacy that is POSITIVE....a FUTURE that is bright, and CHANGE we can not only believe in...but we can ACCOMPLISH by working together!
    Come on America....we need to come together for our nation...no matter what side your on...you are an American FIRST!

March 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. patty Ventura CA

Obama showed a lot of courage today and it took a lot of guts to make his speech about discrimination and racism.
    I am so glad he took a stand on his minister and didn't disown him even though none of us agree with some of the inflametory statements that his minister had said. I commend Barack O. for going into depth on this subject.
    Well done Barack!! One more reason to vote for you.
    From your average WHITE 50 year old FEMALE

March 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Priya

I agree – this speech has done well for Obama.

March 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. brocc

It is nice to see a politician speek to America like adults and not children. Way to go Obama. I think anyone that says they were not impressed with that speech is full of it. When he talks, it is like watching a speech from yester year. To me he is like listing to someone who use to only exist in the history books. I must admit, this is the first politician that has ever moved me and i can ony hope he continues to move more and more americans just like me who do believe in hope and chang for our next chapter in the American dream.

March 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. diane

CNN,
    You covered the Rev. Wright issue thoroughly. Barak Obama addressed race in a magnificent manner today. Please, move on to other issues, now. I pray we've seen the last snippets of Wright 's sermons. Enough!

March 18, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. mark

Bay Buchanan spoke well.....surprised given her background, but will view her more fairly in the future....not because I agree with her, but she appears to be well thought out

March 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Bob, CO

The unfortunate truth is that we live in a country that has an attention span of about 8 seconds. So if you did not watch the entire speech you are likely getting your facts from the sound-bites that the media wishes to show you. Dick Dumas from San Diego CA is 100% correct. The speech did not expose a lie by Obama. He elaborated on the previous comments and explained that he was aware that the Pastor was controversial and offensive. He did state that he never heard him say any of the statements that were captured on the videos that have been released to date.
    For anyone that has not seen the speech, watch it in its entirety. It is my opinion that this country has not been witness to such inspirational articulation in about 40 years.
    PS. I am a conservative registered Republican

March 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Careshia

I really hate that this campagin has come to this. I believe that America should not turn a blind eye to our history. Those who were oppressed and subjugated duirng the legal discrimination that took place in the 60's have not undergone some type of sci-fi memory erasure. They are not obligated to silence themselves regarding the reality of race relations in this country. And to tie Sen. Obama to the opinions of his Pastor is completely unfair.

March 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Ernie-NY

Is everyone missing the point on Senator Obama? He swore he'd never lie, always tell the truth and made much hay from calling Senator Clinton untrustworthy and someone who does double talk. In the last month alone he has been caught in THREE LIES including the latest in which he first said he never heard any comments from Rev. Wright and now admits he did (as if anyone could believe a person as in touch as Sen. Obama is supposed to be didn't know what his preacher of 20 years was saying). The other two lies were denials of the meetings between his staff and Canadian officials and his aides and his real plans for how quickly he can get out of Iraq. He may turn out to be the cruelest of the pols (raising hope knowing he won't deliver; telling us what we want to hear just like the other pols).

March 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Priya

Also, I was impressed that Obama did not denounce his pastor. Denouncing him would have been hyppocritical. I agree with Campbell that he revealed his true metal today. Even though I am not a supporter, I was impressed by the strength of his charecter that this incident has brought out.

March 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Dona

As A 56 Yr old White Female, I see the Rev Wright's words,as very scarey. It was frightening to hear the anger in Rev's words, and no,Obama is NOT responsible for his Rev's words, but he has listened to this mentor for over 20 years, and if affected by the good, must be affected by the ill he has heard as well. Putting the race card out there, tells me from the effect, that Afro American's seemingly will never be satisfied, and MLK, or Jessie Jackson's Rainbow Colition, affirmitive action, means nothing. The color of one's skin, is of little matter, it is their track records, not stolen ideas, or words, but behavior. I am heart sick at the turn this has taken, the hatred, still out there, and the chance that MC Caine will win, if Obama is nominated is very real. This turned racial, because Obama wanted it so, to downplay his shortcomings. He would be a great Vic President, which he has denounced. I find him arrogant.
    Yes, we can, we want change, but many of us know a female, is long needed to correct the in balance, and Hillary can do that. The men who fear that, are out of the loop, and need to enter the 21st century.
    Has anyone ever heard the word Peace?

March 18, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Patricia from Connecticut

As I am reading up on these comments.....what exactly do you hate-ful people expect the man to do? Forgiveness is the key here. You cannot control what someone says.....he said all he could this a.m. about the subject, and if all there was to this Pastor was the 5 sec. soundbites, he said he'd have felt the same way as us & left the church. He stood by the man, the friend, not the idealogy, hatred, anger or the words.........grow up people.......you are perpetuating the hate........enuf said – he denounces it, but keeps the man in his life.......that's about all anyone could expect from anyone!

March 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Sheila Scroggins

I cannot get past Rev. Wrights comments he made, on President Clinton. I found the comments vile, for a past president. He has done more for minorities during his presidency and with his charitable organizations as a past president than Rev. Wright could ever imagine doing. The fact that Obama defends this man in his speech is not acceptable.

March 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Christie G.

I agree with Sonia from Texas. I am a republican 51 year old white female. The more I listen to Obama, the more I respect him. He is not only brilliant, he is real. I admire him for the risks he took today.

March 18, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Thymaya

As a bi racial "white" man, who grew up privy to the secret racism of both sides of my family, I was brought to tears by Obama's words this morning, as they spoke a truth that so few in this country ever really experience or understand. Mainly what hit me was the core notion of family and how that in America that needs to transcend beyond blood or racial lines to a broader understanding of who we are as a nation/ a family of people who share a common painful history. Obama is America plain and simple.

March 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. cindy morgan

I ask many of you to walk in the shoes of someone of color. Please experience what it is like not to get a job because of the color of your skin. To wait in line at a retail store only to be passed over and ignored. To be followed consistently in a store because you have been stereotyped because of the color of your skin. Racial tension is alive and well and it festers like cancer why not bring it to the fore front. I don't necessarily agree with all of the comments on CNN, but I don't ask that each and every commentator step down from his job.
    Great job Obama!!!!! It is about time that someone had some guts to bring race out and let all that it hurts and all that it causes pain have a voice.

March 18, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  27. RobbieTaylor

As Obama said in his apology speech. He is not pleased with what was said, he does not agree with it, and his Pastor never spoke those racial slurs in his presence. That is enough for me! I am a member of a "black church" and I am pretty sure that you can take a clip from his sermon and it may sound offensive, but you would never really know unless you heard the entire sermon. Now I understand that clip that has been shown over and over and over a million times over... may seem extreme. But I don't agree with everything my Pastor says… and what my Pastor says is not always a reflection on me or my own personal beliefs. I think Obama's speech should be enough... and for those who were not satisfied… they are upset for other reasons... Because the remarks his pastor made in my eyes are irrelevant to what he obviously stands for… and don't take my word for he said it himself in his speech… Get over it... I’m tired of it being the only story on!!

28. Steve

Cambell,
    As a retired law enforcement officer I think it is silly and un-professional to say that an armed robber is adorable! What if a policeman or innocent bystander had been injured by this idiot. I thought that you were a journalist.....quit being a silly teenager!

29. Morin

The response by Sen. Obama, today (March 18, 2008) was unsatisfactory. Senator Obama focused only on "RACISM" and did not address the "HATE AMERICA" rhetorical rantings and mentoring of Rev. Wright. Wouldn't you agree that this is a bit strange for a Presidential candidate. Maybe I can answer by own questions by saying that Sen. Obama would simply say that he "wasn't present or wasn't aware" of the HATE AMERICA teachings of Rev. Wright. This is all so sad for those of us who ONCE endoresed Obama, but no longer do.

30. jacque sheppard sr

I'd like to know why anyone would leave their church behind a comment that you did not make and why would you ask Obama to leave a church that he's been at for over 20 years. Now remember the Catholic church had their problems with a number of priests molesting young boys, so who stopped being a Catholic and stop going to their church? Something closer to home, like the racist, sexists, hate talk, and anything else negative that has been said in your parents home by a family members, have you stopped visiting your family, I dont think so because they are a part of you and you are not responsible for anything they had to say. Obama's response was positive, forthcoming, and well worth hearing

31. Les

We can not have it both ways. Do we want separation of church and state? Then we cannot turn around and, say that we will be held responsibile for the actions and statements of those whom we are associated with within the church as our only way of thinking. What the pastor said is what he said and, I do not think that we should let the people that the remarks of one person should stop the country from getting the country to move forward. We need to grow up as a nation. We need to stop letting fear govern us and then we can move forward.

32. Gautier Kazi, Atlanta, Georgia

In grace, race has been approached with civility and sincerity from a man whose mind cries UNITY.

Barack Obama has unmasked American taboos with an openness of mind only few illuminated souls have succeeded to do.

Unfortunately some extreme right-wing conservatives will come out with more daggers to sap Obama's call for unity.
    Sad. Isn't it ?

33. Mike

Barack Obama has it in him to unite the country. The southern strategy of the Clintons is not going to work in this primary season. The southern strategy started by Richard Nixon may finally be put to rest.

Let us hope that we are finally ready to confront the issues that divide us and work on the issues that unites as a country. Winning by elimination doesn't create change. Splintering the party will weaken it in the long run. I do not see how Hillary can continue her campaign because the race card has been played and Obama just trumped Hillary's hand!

34. John Endert

Barack Obama has not only impressed the American society but I would say everyone around the world with the speech he made today. This includes people from all walks of life. We need to hear more inspiring speeches like this. As a Canadian I would encourage this type of dialoque here to ensure we live in harmony amongst ourselves and with those of our friends in the USA.

35. Rob in Rockland

With today's speech, Obama manifested the leadership, vision, courage that the world needs during these challenging times – addressing his critics head-on regarding his former pastor, but also providing an sociological perspective of American race relations with honest dialogue, seemingly, without fear of political reprisals. These are tough issues that most politician wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. America needs Obama, a becon of hope and honest discourse across party lines, more than he needs the presidency. I hope we don't drop the ball.

36. Michael Cavella

At best, people project their values and subjective views in their statements AND their questions. I am a white male and found Senator Obama's speech today to reflect uncommon character and profound sensibility and intelligence - unlike the typical political rhetoric and "pandering" that has become far too commonplace. ANYONE who wonders whether or not Mr. Obama "satisfied" the critics is merely projecting their disguised prejudice and ignorance. They are simply looking for justification to maintain their view of him. These people would NEVER have voted for Senator Obama had Rev. Wright never stirred this controversy. The question is, do they have the integrity and self-awareness to admit this fact. Thank you for the opportunity to weigh-in on this important moment in political history.

37. BrendaGA

Although I love America, it is never going to be united. Barack is fighting for something that is impossible to achieve. Our country is in dire straits, yet we argue about something a pastor stated. Nothing the pastor said addresses the issues we face now. We need to let it go.

38. Elizabeth Jones

I commend Barack Obama for standing up for what he belives in and not turning his back on Rev. Wright. I know Rev. Wright and he is nothing like the few seconds shown on TV every five minutes.

What will Hilary's next step be?

39. Tim - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

I see no change with Obama, all is see is a lot of flip flops and lies. I will vote for Hillary.

March 18, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. jes

That so called man of God just handed the presidentcy of the USA to Obama. Americans will fall all over themselves trying to prove they are not racist. It will be interesting to see what happens when the worm turn.

March 18, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Lisa from Ohio

I thought Obama's speech today was brilliant. In fact, as I looked around the conference room at my job, I noticed that people were piling in and listening and being really focused on what he had to say. I remember thinking, when was the last time people took a break from their jobs to listen to a candidate speak. I have been concerned, however that there is no or very little attention paid to Rev. John Hagee who recently endorsed McCain. Hagee has made many inflamatory comments about certain groups, including Catholics. Indeed people are comparing him to Farrakhan. Yet CNN (or any other new outlet for that matter) is the least bit concerned about him, his statements or his endorsement of McCain. McCain has refused to distance himself from Hagee and has not refused the endorsement or denounced Hagee's statements.

March 18, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Miss B.

I really feel as a young African American supporter of Barack Obama that the media needs to let this issue with Pastor Wright die down once and for all. I think that its not Obama's place to have to always give these elaborate speeches because the Media has nothing else negative to say about Barack and feels he should explain his pastors action. When in all actuality, this is a prime example of why African American Pastors go off the way Rev Wright did because Obama ( the first Black President we're going to have) had to account for his fellow Black pastor's remarks, but not once did I hear anyone, the media, whites in america, FORCE with media pressure to give some speech explaining why Ferraro, however you spell her name, gave the statement she did. Again it goes back to how, clearly you all are being racist my forcing him to explain his PASTOR, and Hilary not even have to see a camera when someone on her campaign goes off at the mouth. Not to mention her campaign started early in the election with negativity. I feel that Baracks speech was more than enough, he should not disown his Pastor, he is a man of faith and any person who feels he should disown his pastor clearly doesnt know the true and living God that I and Barack Obama serves. If you poll the African American community, they wont agree 100 percent with all that Rev Wright said, but he surely had some truthful points. Like it or not. I've listened to some of the white males you've had who have gotten so hyper about Rev Wright, and they clearly represent the racist white men that Rev Wright is talking about. How Blacks have to always answer and prove everything to the White man who feels he is always right. We owe you NO explanation. We were brought into this country with chains, drowned in oceans, killed, inslaved, wounded. SO DONT YOU DARE ACT AS IF YOU KNOW WHERE WE COME FROM, RATHER THAN ACT, TRY TO GET TO KNOW US WITHIN AND OUR STRUGGLE. GET TO KNOW WHY WE ARE ANGRY, WE'RE SO UNDERSTANDING OF THE WHITE MAN AND HIS NEEDS BUT THE WHITE MAN ISNT SO UNDERSTANDING OF OUR NEEDS. Another example is how President Clinton cheated on Mrs Clinton, and lied to the government, those in high places and then was impeached because he lied. He was actually suppose to get jail time, but did that happen? NO. Also, Cnn said that John McCain isnt a natural US born citizen, so why is he even in the race. See how the white man gets the rules BENT and ERASED for him. God knows I love white people, and people of all races, but its time to stop hiding from the issues that no one has wanted to deal with for decades. Its time to get real, so we can move forward. Also, if you dont have Christ in your life, then you wouldnt understand where Barack Obama was coming from anyway. Thats all I have to say about it! : 0 )

March 18, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Tricia

Regarding Roland Martin's comments gushingly complimenting Obama for putting it all out front with his meeting on Friday with the Chicago Sun Times:

Does he think we are stupid? The reason Obama did that (by the way, because it's coming up to bite him like everything else, he comes out to be honest about...puhleese) was so he could hide it under rock pile which is Wright.

He did this as a ploy so no one would notice it due to all the media and the American people ignoring it over the Wright fiasco taking over.

March 18, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. cbl

Why wasn't the hatred addressed? Race, race, race....this was about hatred! You can try to excuse it with race....but it was hate!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Ric A. (Charlotte, NC)

These last 3 panelist have finally captured the true essence of his speech!!!

March 18, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  46. EJ - Ohio

Well the rent has to be paid! Americans know that more than ever these days.

March 18, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Ron Coulombe (Fallbrook, CA)

I listened to Senator Obama's speech this morning, and I was impressed with his integrity and candor. He is a decent man who deserves everyone's respect, regardless of party affiliation. That said, it is very unlikely that I will vote for him because of his liberal views and policies.

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Brian Williams

Hi Cambell,

Everyone it seems is missing the "real issue" here. It's that he has been a member of the church for 20 years, it definately has influenced him, he is running for the highest office in the land and he cannot divorce himself from that.

He has now polarized the democratic electorate and I find Gergen's comments insulting. As an educated person of color I don't like it when people like him, Roland Martin, and others continue to divert and deflect from the real issue.

Even if Obama can secure the nomination the Repulicans will kill us in the fall and we will lose the White House.

Please stay on the real issue that this has raised, oh, and the fact that when Anderson interviewed him he said "he wasn't in the pew when any statements were made" and today he directly contradicted that and said that "he was in the pew". So he lied to Anderson and others that interviewed him.

Obama entered into this speech with a serious credibility problem and compounded that with this contradiction of what he has been saying over the past few days.

The democratic fracture is going to be great and I don't know if we will be able to heal enough to take the white house.

The only respectable thing for him to do is to resign from the race.

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Juan F. Madrid

I respect Sen. Obama for not turning his back to his Minister. I do think, however, that to constantly listen to his radical comments about America and American foreign policy, even if there was one of those comments per year, shows a lack of judgement if one keeps attending to those services. I am a catholic, and I would would walk out of my church if I heard a radical comment like that during a religious service. Sen. Obama not only he did apparently not walk out of those services or church, but made the author of those service the person who married him and baptized his children. This indicates that we may not know or understand Senator Obama's fabric and true opinions of America or his approach to solve those problems.

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Tom Bardeen

I'm a 64 year old white male who was in the crowd on August 28, 1963, when Dr. King surprised us with his unforgettable "I Have A Dream" speech. Barack Obama is even more engaging. He is the greatest orator of our age, and he's just getting started. His Harvard education, combined with his teaching at the University of Chicago, perhaps the most intellectual school in the world, combined with his street experience, and, of course, the occasional Sunday at his free spirited church, have given us a Voice for the Age. Stop for a minute and think. Can you IMAGINE our impact on the world, with Barack Obama as President?

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |