March 18th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/18/03

Anderson is prepping for a day on the road with Barack Obama in North Carolina. Watch for that tomorrow.

So tonight Campbell Brown is pulling double duty and helping us out on 360°. Please be kind.

It's been a big day on the 360° blog.  And most of it has been about Barack Obama and his speech in Philadelphia. And that's what most of tonight's program is about too.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jared

CNN is stoking the flames of racism with their exit poll dissections, magic voter screens and sound-bite loops. How do we get the press to stop this? I am really concerned.

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  2. Monica

He is a class act. If Mr. Obama loses, he won. The problem of race in this country is greater than a campaign or a presidency for that matter. In truth, it needed to be said. Maybe if we can overcome our difference's we can work together and solve our problems. I tell you, terrorist aren't targeting this group or that. The falling dollar doesn't only affect the blacks, whites, liberals....conservatives ..gays...or whatever group you can come up with. I think this whole discussion isn't even beginning to address the problems that America is facing at this juncture in history. And all we can talk about is race.......what was that about a people or a nation fighting against itself??????????

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  3. Juanita Parks

What a refreshing change! Senator Obama showed great courage in facing his critics. Playing the continous loop of the Rev. Wright's sound-bite is left only to the media to play up or play down. What a wonderful time it is to be an American. Senator Obama made me so proud to be an American. He has truly embraced the country with his sincerity and honesty. The only way this will continue to be a problem for him is because the media will make it daily news. It's time to move on and deal with the issues. No one is really interested in the ugly division of the party. We have enough problems trying to put this country back together. Stay focued! Stay on the issues! PLEASE. The media has not represented this story well. I really thought CNN was better than that. What about the rest of the story? What about the rest of the sermons. Just how stupid do you think we are.

March 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  4. Patricia from Connecticut

Hi Anderson,

I think Barack was wonderful today – and it was one of those HISTORIC moments in the country – your thoughts are??????????

March 18, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  5. Beanie

I feel proud to be an American today, like Gergen say, someone finally treat us like intelligent people. Pretending racism does not exist is sticking your head in the sand. One thing is sure, if any one can bring this country together it is Obama. He has no intention of "disowning his white side any more than disowning his black side", plus his sister is part asian. He is truly the candidate of hope and change in America

March 18, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  6. ken crawley

Someone should ask Obama why he has taken the side as as an Afrio American while his mother is White. Why doe he not say he is white also??
    This would eleminate the race issue for him.

Ken Crawley Shelby, N. C.

March 18, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Diane

I am a 47 year old white female and even though I was offended by Rev. Wright's statements, I do not consider them an issue. I am more concerned about my sisters, both who lost jobs to out-sourcing and have struggled to find new employment. I am more concerned about the fact that because they lost their jobs, they don't have insurance. Let's get back to the real issues. Senator Obama addressed Rev. Wright's statements in a simple and honest manner. He has again reinforced to me that he is the one choice for President. He can bring people together and, if America let's him, he could do great things for this country. It's time for something new.

March 18, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  8. darren

My problem with this issue he could of told the truth from the beginning, and said he was in church at the time instead of lying . So he has the ability nto lie about this what else is he hiding. Thought he was a different type of politician at first, now he looks just the same as the rest.

March 18, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Brena

Katt Morris – You are right on! The people who are hearing that Obama "lied" are people who don't want to hear what he actually said. It was a beautiful, heart-felt speech. Only those of us who know and are willing to face the reality of racism can understand it.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Joshua

I am a young black Man. I am 20 years of age. In these short 20 Years i have seen many things. Obama is a man that stands for all of America and people should look at it through his eyes. We as Americans are all different. The black culture is not understood. The black church is a highly misunderstood place. It is the place of rejoicing and uplifting and there will be many Sunday mornings that will be hard on white America. the Black culture is one that is based on the heratige of slavery and is full of hate and anger.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Life-long Democrat

If America needs a lecture on race, we better find someone with a little more credibility than Barack Obama. 20 years of attending and funding a racially divisive church speaks much louder than a politician running for office.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. VERY Concened American

Obama had the chance of a lifetime to distance himself from this radical minister and chose not to.

How dare Obama expect Americans to stand with him while he stands up for a radical racist pastor.

For Obama to ask Americans to stand with him would be like Hillary’s minister saying nasty things about blacks and praising the KKK leader.

Obama's church supports Farrakhan. This is serious and frightening.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Tricia Mayhew

It's good to know that finally there is a politician who is willing to take a stance on his beliefs and provide a candid view into the experiences that many African Americans face but keep locked behind closed doors.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Susan, Seattle

Welcome Campbell. Your coverage is great and I love to see your reports on CNN.

I am a 64 year old white woman. I have supported Obama for some time, since Edwards dropped out, but today I could not have been more happy with my choice.

This speech was so unbiased, so UNpolitical, and showed what an amazing concilitator this man can be.

He has the charisma of JFK and the common sense about the working man of FDR. He could not have come along at a better time for our country. We desperately need an ALL New Deal.

Barack Obama has the makings of becoming a truly great president.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Louis; Gonzales,Louisiana

Obama thinking he could weather the Wright controversy said this last Saturday:

"But the sermons I've always hear were no different than the sermons you hear in many African-American churches. I had not heard him make such, what I consider to be objectionable remarks from the pulpit. Had I heard them while I was in church, I would have objected. Had that been the tenor of the church generally, I probably wouldn't be a member of the church." – Senator Barack Obama, 3/15/08

Obama after he got hold of reality on Wright's effect on his candidacy:

"Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes." – Senator Barack Obama, 3/18/08

What a difference a few days can make.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. James Michigan

Their they go again. The tapes of Reverend Wright were not released by Hillary. They in fact were released by McCain supporter Sean Hannity,, or was it Bill O'Reilly

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Karen

Dave

Obama is not a Dr King. He is a Dr ? For the first time in my life, I will vote Republican if he is the nominee.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  18. John Trodden

I am a white older male who voted for Obama. His speech on race today was inspirational. He has the unique ability to say the things that need to be said in the way few people can. I am proud to be his supporter.

I enjoy Bay Buchanan's input, but frequently disagree. I was so pleased to hear her say that Obama was a class act in not throwing Rev Whight under the bus. I agree.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Gabriel "Big Dawg" Dabolt

Campbell you look great. I just wanted to follow up on an exerpt that wrote on this show about a week ago where I asked what was going to happen in the realm of affirmative action if Obama becomes the Democratic nominee. I just wanted to commend the Senator for addressing that in his speach and putting it into context. I agree with Gergen, that as a better educated suburbanite the speach took root.

March 18, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Zane Thomas

As I sat listening to Wolf fill in for Larry this evening I found myself getting frustrated hearing the debate regarding the racial divide. I'm pretty sure their exists empherical evidence given Barrack's delegate count that whites don't see it as a big issue. The comments made by the Senator's pastor were inexcusable and I for one don't want to hear Roland Martin telling us that we just don't understand the black church. If using the lords name in vain and damning the nation are acceptable religious practices in the black church then we may very well have reason to question the man poised to lead our damned nation forward! I am also of the opinion that any reference to oneself as anything other than "American" is devisive in and of itself. The last point I want to make is: blacks do not own the patent to poor... poor isn't a color. We've all heard the phrase "the truth shall set you free" but the real truth is "education" will set you free. We are on the verge of electing Senator Obama President of the United States. This should be a time of celebration not racist pandering. Yes, we've all had our struggles but let go of the past and embrace the future. God Bless the United States of America!

March 18, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Mike

Are you kidding me? Senator Obama is held account for the deranged ramblings of his pastor and friend of twenty years, and he is able to divert the attention of our "professional media" by wanting to talk about race in America and not about the racism and anti-Americanism of his friend. The person he has chosen to associate with, fully knowing his views. It would be funny, if it wasn't so sad.

March 18, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Abram - Michigan

I watched the speech and it was incredible in it's delivery in its depth. One of the interesting things about this speech that I think is missed is the fact that it is not a political speech as far as it panders to different audiences but more of an inspiration speech. He was forced into this speech and rather than pander to the white audience that his paster offended he approached the issue as a whole which is why I think he will be a uniter and not a divider if he becomes president of the United States. on the other hand, he took a serious risk delivering this speech and we'll see how it pays off in the coming primaries.

March 18, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Lisa

Cambpell,
    Why is the media, CNN, becoming increasingly negative re: Obama

March 18, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Jason, Riverview, FL

Wait a minute... On FRIDAY.. OBAMA said HE DID not know of ANYTHING of this sort or even REV. Wright to be this political volitile... NOW he admitts he DID know about it? Is anyone going to LOOK at the TAPES on FRIDAY? Or maybe its me. This is what SNL is talking about... Look at HOW these people (Pundents) are falling over SEN Obama's speech... He said he did not know on FRIDAY NIGHT, Now its another version... hmmm "Judgement" and "HOODWINKED"

March 18, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. Mark Swagerty

How does our view of Martin Luther King change if he was exposed to that type of preaching since he was a procuct of the black church? It did not define MLK because we know him and what he accomplished. MLK rose above negative words he heard and the injustices he suffered to unite people. Barak Obama deserves the chance to define himself as King did in his own words.

Faith and religion is much more than Rovian political calculus applied to core social issues like abortion and gay marriage to deliver the most votes in contested southren states.

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  26. Ali Mirza

As a proud Muslim-American, who happens to be "brown", I think Barack's speech gives me the hope that all of us, Jews, Christians, Muslims and others, Whites, Blacks, Yellow and Browns. Democrats or Republicans, can, and will, all come together for the common good of America and the humanity at large.

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Dr. Jim Greer

Please, please, please......Campbell missed an important question in the issue confronting the Obama campaign today in the race discussion. Please realize I am a registered independent. White, male, professional, mid-west region, 53 y.o. The question that should have been asked and that I would love to hear response from the candidate and the panel of experts........How does he explain the comments of his wife concerning "the first time she is proud of America" and the comments from his pastor. They sure seem that they might be related and certainly reflect issues behind fears that I have about the unknowns about this exciting candidate. I want to believe but have so many doubts. Thank you for your coverage, Dr. Jim Greer, Lexington, KY.

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. David

Campell,

What struck me in this speech and the situation that led to it is the way that Obama shaped events that were forced upon him.

I can think of no greater qualification to be president than that.

Plus he quoted Faulkner.

Noice.

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  29. marcos

Mr Obama's candidacy has been revealing

It is shocking to accept that Mr. Obama thinks it is ok that children can sit in this church and listen to such harsh statements about America.

His judgement is questionable and does not represent America

Marcos San Antonio, TX

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Joshua

Campbell, I'm personally glad Hilliary started crying about the media giving Sen. Obama a light ride. She has helped the media expose the true character of Sen. Obama in the most trying of times. He has surpassed every test of negativity given him with flying American colors! This is truly the type of character we need in the White House!!
    He keeps his head in the darkest of times. When the world acts crazy against America, Sen. Obama will no doubt keep his head and come to the best resolve possible!! Thank you CNN for your continuing coverage!

March 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Brent

Hey Mary, how can you call Obama a divider? Examples please of how his speech today was divisive. I guess you just hear what you want to hear no matter what someone says.

March 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Denise - Canada

I can't believe how you journalist are swooning again because of his way with words – his action to stay in a church with such language is lost. I'm amazed at how one sided the coverage tonight has been. I watched the speech today and felt I was watching a very good spin doctor.

March 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Michael, NC

future president...thats pushing it.

March 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  34. chris

I think people need to understand that everyone was upset because Obama stated that the pastor was his MENTOR, and now he doesn't agree with what he has to say or in his racist beliefs. Isn't a mentor just that? Someone to influence you and your life. How can someone who is half white sit in a congregation and listen to those comments without being upset with him and not allow it to change your relationship with him in those previous years?

March 18, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Lisa

How many of us have gotten up and walked out of our job or a gathering when a sick racial joke was said. It happens all the time

As for the pastor he needs to be held accountable for his comments as a preachers wife I was not only caught off gaurd but I have heard things of this nature before.

We pay attention to them and that gives them power. Rev. Wright should never have condemmed anyone let alone the US gov't. The Bible teaches to love thy neighbor and to forgive. That is what Obama emboddies.

March 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  36. Dave

Future President Obama's speech today was the most compelling, moving discussion on race relations in America since Dr. King's I Have A Dream speech almost 45 years ago.

March 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Ray I.

Is this the CHANGE we were HOPE-ing for?

March 18, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Ian Macgregor

For Baye Buchanan to call Obama a "class act", now that's a breakthrough! Good for her.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  39. B Ledyard

In regards to Rev. Wrights's remarks. This is the reason why all of one thing is not good. All black church, all white church, all black social group, all white social group, etc. You get a sense of responsible communication about sensitive issues. If you do not have a diverse group of friends, working partners, church members, etc. You are prone to this type of one sided opinions.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  40. michael Lashway

When will America see the fraud of the candidacy of Barracl Obama?
    He is an opportunistic junior senator of little experience who is full well taking advantage of the race card. His speech brilliant? Delivering the expected is not brilliant, it is pedestrian. He has no resume so he continually blurs the with racial issues. He was a member of the church for 20 years. When during that time did he express moral outrage? He loves to declare his opposition to the Irag war as the mantle of his candidacy, so why did he not express that same moral outrage for this minister? He has only done so now because he was forced to. Wake up America and smell the roses, this candidate is not the real deal.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  41. DeniseGA

The speech was great, I just hope people actually listen to the words and put aside their anger and hate for a brief moment!

To those posting angry comments, I want you to think about just how angry you are.

Then remember, that things that happened to young black men in the 50?s and 60?s fighting for equal rights, being beaten, hosed down, spit on and publically shamed.

Now to those who ABSOLUTELY refuse to understand why Barack did not disown, a man who brought Christ to his life, and who he had experienced in a better light, ask yourself this.

If you are that angry over words, imagine how angry Wright must be considering he felt the PHYSICAL PAIN of racism.

What gives you more right to be more angry, than Wright!

I do not agree with Wright, nor do I hate him for his comments, but I understand!

That is what Barack is trying to have you realize. He did not make those comments, but he understands where they come from! Stop the hate, and start thinking of what you can do to solve the problem!

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Lisa from missouri

Hi Campbell,
    I am always reading and watching everything on the campaign. I watch this show everynight sometimes two times a night. Obama has said and done everything that he can do distance himself from this minister and has Katt has said, you cannot be blamed for what your relatives say.
    Obama has address this, now it is TIME for not only reporters but also the american public to move on. We will never always agree with what each person says or does and therefore, this has gone way to long.
    It is MORE than time to move on. We need to be talking about the more important things, healthcare, the economy, how he plans to get our troops out of the stupid and senseless war.
    Also, someone needs to ask Hillary, what does her pastor/church say? I have not heard one word about her beliefs, but then after what "slick willy" did in the white house, I think it is safe to assume that she does not have a church. But to be fair...does she have a church or a spirtual basis? And why is this is still going on with Barack and not on what Geraldine Ferraro had to say?
    Is that Hillary and Bill whinned so much about the media bias against her and against her being a woman, that the media has decided to continue this attack on Barack?
    I will continue to back Obama no matter what is said about this issue.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Dan

Should I hold Senator Obama responsible for the comments of this minister, his minister? I do. Why? Because Senator Obama selected this minister to speak to his children. This is the man Senator Obama selected to teach morals and a vision of the world to his children. I would assume that Senator Obama's children are as dear to him as anything on this earth. I assume, like all parents, that he seeks to guide them and install in them certain virtues and values. I assume that he made some effort to select a minister he felt shared his views. Senator Obama decided that this man should be an important symbol and guide for his children. I would like to ask Senator Obama if these are the views that you want your children to have? If not, why did you bring them to this church? How could you select such a man to give religious guidance to your children? Or in your heart are these the views you and your wife want your children to have>

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Lawrence

Courage is what leadership is about. Evil people will hate Obama for shining a light on their prejudice, and this will be a test of America. Do we have the courage to stand up for the principles on which our nation were founded? ALL MEN CREATED EQUAL.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Robert

Tucker Carlson on MSNBC repeatedly brought up Rev. Wright sermoning on how AIDS is a white conspiracy against the blacks. Carlson's stance is this means Obama should remounce Wright.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Janna

Minou, I couldn't agree with you more.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Pat

There are very few in the national political arena who are bold enough or gifted enough to deliver on such difficult issues. Senator Obama has demonstrated the ability to elevate the dialogue in a way that no other candidate has.

March 18, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Derek

This is not the first time we’ve heard preachers talking about the ways in which God has damned us. Rev. Fallwell famously claimed that God damned us for gays, pagans, abortionists and feminists in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. When a white minister talks about the ways God damns us, he gets invited to the White House and conservative talk shows.

March 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  49. CarolJean

What about the Louis Farrakhan Lifetime Achievement Award given by Obama's church? That would make me quit any institution that I was a member of especially if I was a public servant who depends on voters to get a job. What was Senator Obama thinking when this anti-Semite, etc., Farrakhan, was given this award???? Obama does not mention this incident in his speech today...why????

March 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Jolene

@Dick Dumas,San Diego CA: I totally agree with you. Obama never said he heard the rantings from the soundbites played over and over. He just said he has disagreed at times with things Wright had said.

March 18, 2008 at 10:13 pm |