March 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/17/08

Soledad O'Brien is in for Anderson tonight. Some of the topics:

– Florida state Democratic leaders said they've given up holding a do-over primary. So what next?
– The government is helping bail out Bear Sterns, the investment bank that became the latest casualty in the mortgage crisis.
– John McCain makes a trip to Iraq – his first since becoming the probably Republican nominee.

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cedric Richardson, Palo Alto, CA

Erica, I am very afraid, I dont know what to do now. I was about to make a sizable investment this week and I am totally scared. HELP

March 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Jennifer - Michigan

I'm looking foward to hearing from Michael Ware. I missed his last report. I respect his honesty and his straight forward attitude to tell it like it is.

March 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Sheryl, IL

Bill is on Greta. But we would all rather watch CNN

March 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Cedric Richardson, Palo Alto, CA

Mr. Dobbs, Can you tell me what should I do to invest in todays uncertain economic situation? I would still like to get some value for my money.

March 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

At least John McCain is in Iraq. I'm sure our troops appreciate the visit. Perhaps Hillary and Obama should have gone with McCain. It would have been a great sign of working in a bipartisan manner.

March 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  6. erica hill

What do you all think of this Bear Stearns mess? Does it concern you?

March 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Rene

I'd like someone to tell me what Senator Clinton has done that makes her "vetted" fr the presidency. Also we keep looking for skeletons in Senator Obama's closet, but why arent the known skeletons in Senator Clintons closet being addressed? We are holding Senator Obama accountable for things said by his pastor, why arent we holding Senator Clinton accountable for comments made by Geraldine Ferraro her close friend and advisor for over 20 years?

March 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  8. skm

The bailout helps wall-street.. but it concentrates wealth in wealthier hands.. and the poorer have to start over from the bottom. (This was the voice I heard in Mississippi from a friend.)

Mississippi is outraged that the government comes to rescue so quickly in this case, but they are still waiting for government's assistance on post-Katrina Relief.. I understand their frustration.

I also understand that this bailout was necessary for the sake of the entire USA.

Let's though get the plea of Mississippi fellow to AC.. I think he may have a kind ear for their plight. (p.s., I am not from MS.. rather just have made a lot of friends there since Katrina.). AC, Thanks.

March 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Lesli

Bear Stearns – what a laugh.

Your balance sheets may not have changed, but what about the people who have been taken advantage of by these lying mortgage brokers.

The middle class will be paying for this mess for years and that middle class will be shrinking because of this mess.

March 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Allison

This information with Rev. Wright needs to cease. People need to be educated on the black church. Many Pastors incorporate social issues into their sermons. We are all indiviuals who think independently of our Pastors. There is information you accept and information you discard. My character has nothing to do with what my Pastor says. Barack Obama is a man of character and people need to stop trying to find information they feel would tarnish just who he is. I guess is hard for some people to conceive that he is a good and honest man.

March 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Katie

Instead of bailing people out by creating more federal jobs, lets use our precious tax dollars to put more money into the pockets of rich, greedy CEOs.

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  12. Laurie

Well Obama's church sounds more like a political church rather than a faith-based church. I'm a African American female and I have been going to church at least 40 years. I never been under the pastorship of someone who preaches hate and annimosity as Rev. Wright did. When they spoke of racial injustice or black empowerment, they did it from a standpoint of love, as Martin Luther King Jr. did and not with the hate or anger Malcom X.

I personnally would have stopped gong to a church that presented the messages of Obams's pastor. Because when I go to the church, the focus is on Christ (faith-based) and not political. Social justice comes in because Jesus was for social justice..

And I'm sorry, when you know someone real close for 20 years, you've heard this message before...in the pulpit and at the dinner table. Come on, don't take us for fools.

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  13. William Barr

Consider the two people closest to Senator Obama.

Pastor Wight and Michelle Obama alike put out a vibe suggesting deep racial anger and they are not terribly good at hiding it.

Isn't it about time someone with a microphone asked them about this?

How about getting the candidate to state definitively his stance on reparations for slavery, an issue on which Obama has voiced contrdictory views?

–Bill in Tennessee

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  14. j. ogleman

hi soledad, get over guys at cnn , this rev. wright story is getting to people at cnn, when are u bringing rev. hagger and gerry ferraro

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. ender

haha – Bush is happier his Presidency is coming to an end and better believe a lot of Americans are happy it's coming to an end too !!

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Carlos

I agree...count FL or be ready to loose big in FL...and by the way I do live in MI

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Bern -Mississippi

It sounds like Gloria wants to place too a heavy burden on Obama. He is not responsible for what His pastor says. His pastor is responsible. He cannot "explain" his pastor and should not be asked to. That said, objectively, everything Rev. Wright said is in fact true. Americans, whatever the race or culture, have to confront the past in order to embrace the future. Mindlessly acting offended and outraged when someone like Rev. Wright points out our problems does nothing to move us forward.

March 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  18. RKFla

I'm a Florida voter. I voted and I think my vote should be counted. I had nothing to say about when I voted. Why do some of the people on here get on their high horses about how "we" need to learn to play by the rules when "we" had no choice in it???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 17, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. ender

gotta love the bits 'n pieces shots – somewhere Anderson is giggling . . .

March 17, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. erica hill

Jolene – no comment 🙂
    ... and as for what this guy was doing in the store, that, my friends, is the question of the day.

March 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. john

Soledad:
    If CNN is going after ratings using the Wright issue,tThis whole Rev. Wright thing can be a teachable moment. Instead of focusing on the words, we need to look at the larger issue at hand. There is a tremendous difference between how the majority culture and the African American culture see history and the world. This is the meta-narrative in this whole situation. the press is being the press, sadly. How this story is being covered and reported is another story within the story. Why not have Cornell West or Michael Eric Dyson as guests to speak to the deeper issues here at hand. thecountry would benefit.

John
    Jacksonville Flroida

March 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Liz - Ontario, Canada

Bush is getting happier by the minute as his presidency draws to a close.

March 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  23. SUE

Good Evening, Soledad!! How are you? I think you do a terrific job......along with Erica Hill!!!!

A quick question please. I thought I heard that Bill Clinton was going to be on your show tonight???? Is that incorrect??

Thankyou, and keep up the good work!!

Sincerely,

Sue/Arlington, Mass.

March 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Anthony

Why did the media not talk about the Pastor Wright comments til after the Fernando Ferrer comments, seeing as Pastor Wright comments were made a month prior

March 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Bob

Here is the big issue. Just like an olympic athlete that wins, but is found out later for cheating, Obama' and the media by hiding his minister until most of the primaries have been contested is similar. Voters in earlier states were not given this fact. This is why Obama will have an immense problem in the general, even if he gets the Dem nomination.

March 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  26. tommy

count all floridas votes !!!!!

March 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Lilibeth

Ha ha ha Erica, you are funny! That's why he wasn't feeling cold!

Ha ha ha!

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  28. skm

Barack is toast! He did not do well at all in AC360 on Friday.
    No one is liking this 20-year association with Rev.Wright.. and saying that he did not know of this type of preaching.. Give me a break!!

You cant hoodwink everyone all the time.. This time he is caught in a deep lie.

America will not be hoodwinked by this one...

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  29. Joshua

Anderson love your work with Planet in Peril keep it up. Hi Soledad

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Gino

White North Americans can only talk about discriminations; people of color live discrimination. We (white North Americans) must keep this in the forefront when analyzing Rev. Wright.

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  31. EJ - Ohio

Is Anderson in Iraq? You mean he's not here to cover the birth of Halle Berry's baby? No way! I'm kidding – and I look forward to the Iraq special on Wednesday.

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Rose, San Bernardino, Ca

Hi, Erica Hill.

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Douglas

Solidad, I am a sorry to say this because I had high hopes for Obama but here is what I am hearing and I have been all over the Internet. No matter what Obama says tomorrow the damage is done. I am seeing everywhere I has been people saying 2 things. First, the white people that has already voted wish they had there vote back and if he is the nominee will vote for Mccain. Second, the white voters that have yet to vote are really upset and won't vote for him in the remaining states. The blogging all over the net is incredible. Blogs that normally get 100 hits are getting 1500 to 2000 hits. That is not good for Obama. Trust me this is huge and it could be a campaign breaker.

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Michael, NC

wow...pa. why do they have a 90 thousand dollar meat cutting machine in the first place? public drunkenness...thats unfortunate.

March 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Cedric Richardson, Palo Alto, CA

I'm concerned that no matter what Obama says, the liberal media will not let his attempt to distance himself rest. This is the nature of politics. I do believe that those that were looking for a reason to back off Obama they got one.

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Jolene

Erica: Happy St. Patty's Day to you too!!! OMG, not another bit and pieces shot! This is just too funny!!!

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Dwayne , CA

Paul, let's get real. Again, the delivery was "rough" but what are the lies that were said? That Sen. Clinton was not called the N-word (she probably wasn't), that she's not from a single parent home. Not wrong on the count either. That she's probably never been passed by a cab because of her race. That's probably safe too.

Let's keep it in perspective. If you step away from the way the message was delivered there are some thought provocative statements.

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Jennifer - Michigan

That's unbelieveable!

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Brian from Los Angeles

How ironic. of all parties, that the Democratic party has proven again that their vote doesn't count.

Why did Howard Dean and company have the gal to ask people in Michigan and Florida to go to the polls when their vote would never count? If their vote doesn't count, why did he allow the primaries to be run at all in those states?

I really feel the Hillary supporters have a lot to be upset about in this election process. Now that we know about Rev. Wright, Rezko, the wishy washy comments Barack made about Nafta and the Iraq war, I bet many in the party are now questioning the quality of candidate that they appear to have chosen, and many are regretting it.

I wonder how many early voters of Barack in the early primaries, would now change their mind and vote for Hillary instead after learning more about Barack's real background. If just, one hundred delegates choose to change their mind, Hillary would be nominated instead.

Democrats are showing this nation the kind of leadership we will all have to endure if they are elected. Not to mention, what they would do to our pocketbooks with higher taxes.

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Janelle, WY

Just seat the Florida delegates, but only give them 1/2 the vote (so really you are seating half).

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. nan

Why does Senator Obama deny that he knew of this Reverand's commentary and yet at the same time he very clearly already had distanced himself from the Reverand months ago? Why won't any of the reporters ask Obama this simple question? Why would he have distanced himself if he did NOT know about Wright's inflammatory, mean rhetoric? There would have been no reason to whatsover–unless he was witness to them. So Obama has been caught in a lie; and more signficantly, I am concerned that this is the kind of person–with these values and beliefs–whom Obama has adopted as his symbolic father and has called his spiritual father. It makes me wonder what both he and Michelereally believe since Obama has bulit his platform on the notion that he supports the opposite of this divisive approach to life and race.

Here's another thing that I question. Here you have Wright, who can delay his retirement so that, in his lifetime, not only can he get the stand on the dais at Obama's inauguration and have the first black president be a long-standing member of his congregation. But no–for some reason he decides to retire just around the time that Obama decides to run. Don't any of the these investigative reporters want to probe this futher? It is clear that this retirement was a joint decision–and that therefore Obama's claim that he didn't know of the Reverand's rhetoric is completely untrue. In his speech tomorrow he will try to spin it as "White people don't understand this kind of African American social justice conversation" but the real scary issue is that this Reverand, and the principles and values that drive his rhetoric, may possibly be aligned with Obama's–otherwise for what possible reason would Obama allow this man to influence him and his family?

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Lilibeth

All I can say is I don't envy the next president who will have his/her hands full with the deteriorating economy...

March 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  43. B

I do not see anyone talking about Pastor wright comments about the army Tushegee test of blacks with Syphilis, plutonium, some military with LSD and spraying chemical over major cities with result people became sick. I saw it on documentaries and 60 minutes. Those things are true

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Chas

How will Obama disavow what his minister said when he was the official spiritual advisor to the Obama campaign?

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  45. GAB

I'm a dem, but I have to say that main stream media has been shameless as far as Obama is concerned, and unfortunately that includes CNN

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Rose, San Bernardino, Ca

People are more worried about jobs then the war.

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Jayson Texas

I think obama is pretty much done even with the speech tomorrow i think he cant explain 20 years of a close realationship with his religous "mentor" and the fact that he is lying to the american people i knew this was going to happen when people finally got to know the real obama it would be over and as for flordia seat the delegates obma ran a tv ad in flordia i think someone broke the rules michigan should re vote love the show happy st patricks day...

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Jason, Riverview, FL

Julie... Its all on Obama's Judgement... He wants people to trust his JUDGEMENT... Now Rev. Wright is example of HIS Judgement. He only "DUMPED" the Rev. on FRIDAY after this thing blew up in his face on FRIDAY. HE knew Rev. Wright was a controversial figure. It was brought up earlier in the campaign; but he instead "HIS BAD JUDGEMENT" let is what lead him to this mess. The CLINTON Campaign is right to stay out of this mess. By the way anyone noticed how Roland Martin is Defending Obama's judgements on EVERY issue?

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Carlos

I have been following the race issue for a long time. I believe Senator Obama is a decent qualified person to become our next President, I believe that Senator Clinton is also a decent very qualified person to also become our next President what I don't quite understand is why we do not want to accept that yes in the 21 century in America there are still racial problems, that Hillary has won all the primaries including the ones that do not count in where the majority of voters are Hispanics and that Obama has won the ones where African American are the majority. Why are we so afraid to face what is the real problem...yes race...yes there is polarization...yes we all feel in a way victim of that discrimination. I have a hard time believing that or we talk about the big "white" or should I say "black" elephant in the room and try to be authentic about the issues or as a result if Obama wins the nomination Hispanics that usually have been swingers are going to vote in majority for Senator McCain. I do not think that will be the case with african american that have been authentic democrats and in a certain way are behind their candidate now but eventually will not vote for McCain because of the same racial issues...So wins as a result?

March 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Life-long Democrat

I'm a Florida Democrat. Floridians voted in record numbers in a fair election on January 29th. If the Democratic Party refuses to seat all of our delegates in the proportion decided by the voters, I will leave Democratic Party and vote Republican in November. I hope Deomcrats around the country will join me in protest of this unconstitutional, arrogant move by the DNC.

March 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |