March 14th, 2008

Obama answers critics on 360° tonight

We had been working on this story all day  – the controversy over Barack Obama’s pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

360° tonight

Anderson talks with Democratic Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, responding to his pastor’s firestorm of controversy. 360° Tonight, 10p ET.

Rev. Wright recently had this to say, "Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single parent home, Barack was.  Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary, Hillary ain’t never been called a n*****!  Hillary has never had her people defined as a non-person.”

Harsh words from a man Obama has called his spiritual mentor (he officiated the Obamas’ wedding and baptized their two children).  Yesterday, Sen. Obama was not commenting, so our plan for tonight was to run a story looking at the history of this kind of rhetoric in black churches and what Rev. Wright’s comments could mean for the his most famous congregation member.

But late in the day, the Obama campaign had a change of heart, offering up the Senator himself to address the issue.  So we’ll have that tonight, Anderson and Senator Obama responding to his pastor’s firestorm of controversy.

Program note: Anderson Cooper 360° airs live at 10p ET on CNN

Filed under: Barack Obama
  1. appoggiatura

"Senile dementia" is obviously the reason Rev. Wright is retiring (who ever heard of a Baptist minister 'retiring'?)

Barack Obama certainly should not be held accountable for these insane remarks. If he believed their racist sentiment, he would have to hate his White mother; if he was anti-American, he would not have spent so many years in public service. Use common sense.

I expect the media was not all over this story long ago because they recognized the symptoms Rev. Wright bears/bares?; many elderly Americans suffer from Alzheimer's or similar afflictions.

Rather than crucify a sick old Rev. Wright, we should mention him in our prayers.

March 14, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  2. Lee

Are we going to apologize for what someone else says everytime they say something we don't like? Why not have the ones who say it opologize. It looks as though the entire Democratic Primary has been apologizing instead of addressing the issue. What about the economy? Lets get back to the issues! I am a Democrat and we need to stick to the issues!

March 14, 2008 at 8:21 pm |
  3. Deni

How dare CNN call itself a news station. Obama has gotten a free ride from them from the beginning. Why don't you have the guts to put the whole story on the news. The Obama's are bigots, if you want the truth, watch FOX NEWS. Obama is supposed to be a man that makes the best judgements. Is that why he has gone to the same church, and I rally hate calling it a church, for 20 yrs. We really don't need a person like him in the White House.

March 14, 2008 at 8:20 pm |
  4. Heather

Sen. Obama said it best...this is "SILLY SEASON." He should not have to denounce (and so Hillary will be happy, I'll say "reject" also) his pastor. Sen. Obama is among thousands when he goes to Trinity on Sunday mornings. The pastor has his right to do his job – speak the truth. Pastor Wright was not campaigning for Sen. Obama...he was addressing issues that arise for his members. On the other hand, Ferraro was campaigning for Clinton and was blantantly being racist, sexist, and disrespectful.

Also I must point out that I am tired of people saying that a predominately African-American church must have some underlying black pride, racist undertone. If we will all remember correctly, African-Americans were not allowed in most white churches. I want people to stop acting like all white churches have always welcomed African-Americans with open arms. There is nothing wrong with this man going to a predominately black church. That's his business.

I want Clinton to reject, denouce, condemn, deny, discard (and every other synonym that virtually means the same thing) her husband, then go home and sit down! She is wasting time and money!!

March 14, 2008 at 8:18 pm |
  5. Summer

Obama should not be held responsible for what his pastor says. He SHOULD be held responsible for the fact that he has chosen to remain a member of this church. While Obama has tried to silence his critics on this topic by claiming that he does not endorse Rev. Wright's most inflammatory statements, actions speak louder than words. Show us how strong you are as a leader, Obama, by leading your family out of this church!

March 14, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  6. Deon

ahh Come on, this sermon was on Christmas. its March. Obama needs to quit with the brief talk and be more detailed or he'll stay getting eaten up on old issues

March 14, 2008 at 8:17 pm |
  7. Met

Anderson,
    I am a African-American Christian young woman and I am sadden by the events of the media. The media is attempting to make Obama's church like a cult, and it is not. I do not attend this church; however, I have heard that this church focuses on black history and implementing programs to help the poor in the urban community. There are several white ministers that have said racist, sexist and really do not reflect the love of God. However, they have been allow a pass. I do not agree with Dr. Wright's statement; however, he has a right to free speech just like the other ministers that have been given a pass. Ohter ministers have spoken about AIDS and other things as a sin and have not been on tv once. As a Christian we are taught to study the word for ourself. I believe that Obama can attend a church any church, learn and study the word of God for himself and can disagree with his pastor's statement. I have attend a number of churches were I can disagree with personal statements of a minister and pastor. We are all human and are not perfect. I am not suprised that the media and society want to hold the minority candidiate in the election to perfect standards and the other candidates can do whatever.

The media is an agent that continues the divide in our courntry.
    I pray that the media will stick to the issues that have hurt this country and not opinions of others whether christian or not.

March 14, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  8. Nick

I am excited for Obama to address this. I hope that it is difinitive so we can all put this to bed and get on with the issues. What are we doing about $4.00 gas, or health care, or Iraq, or the recession? When it is all said in done, does this tit for tat really matter? The answer is no. It serves two purposes.
    1. Gives the media a nice drama to cover.
    2. Gives certian people a "legit excuse" to not vote for Barack.

March 14, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  9. Jan

I believe Mr. Obama said Pastor Wright is his pastor, NOT his spiritual advisor. Frankly I seriously don't know what Pastor Wright has said that is so horrible nor why Obama should have to distance himself. If I were a black man I would not want to be in a church where the pastor could not understand my challenges. Pastor Wright has held up a mirror of truth and the guilty parties don't like the reflection they see. As for the N***** word He didn't invent that either. This is clearly a ploy to manipulate the voters of Philadelphia. Well, I hope by now they are able to recognize the dirty tactics of the media and see that this mess has Hillary's stamp all over it and vote for the better candidate. The one who will bring politics back to the people and unite this country and that is Senator Barak Obama.

March 14, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  10. Ryan

Obama strongly denounced the pastor's anti-American rhetoric. But the problem here is that Obama keeps telling voters to judge him on his words, not his actions. We can't have a president whose words and actions are so contradictory.

March 14, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  11. David

These are startling revelations.

Perhaps the pastor's influence may be the root of Senator Obama wife's comment about finally feeling good to be an American. Unfortunately, if the pastor has been an influence for the last 20 years or so (or at least for some significant amount of time) and he harbors and preaches feelings and opinions that are controversial, his influence with the Senator and his family will likely manifest itself in ways that do not digest well with the American public and voters.

It would be interesting to see how he will explain this and try to people at ease. It would be hard to believe that the pastor has not influenced the Senator's moral health and his attitude towards American society and Government.

The Senator keeps bringing up his position against the Iraq war for various reasons that have been proven to be true in hind sight. On the other hand and considering the pastor's public opinions and the possible influence with the Senator, it begs the question what was Senator Obama's real reason for being against the war?

March 14, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  12. Andy J.

It is sad to see how Clinton and Obama are killing each others chances at the White House. All the crazy remarks that are coming out from inside each camp and frinds of the camps are just dumb! With all of the fighting the Dems will find themselves down, out, and feeling stupid.

I don't think Obama should be linked to to the Pastors sermans, but you all know he will be. It will be in the Dems best interest to tell all the people that work for or around each camp to keep their mouths shut. SAD, SAD, very SAD the way this looks like it is going. I thought much better of Clinton/Obama. They can do better.

March 14, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  13. Jo Ann

Barack Obama has always said that one of the reasons he should be president is because he has “good judgment” and will bring the country together. Well, today all of that has been put to the test.

I listened to the lunatic divisive ravings of Pastor Jeremiah Wright on cable news all day long and with every listening it gets worse. If I were a journalist I would have to ask Obama why he continued to patronize and take his family to a church that allowed this type of hatespeak to go on. Not only did he attend this church for twenty years he took Pastor Wright as his spiritual adviser, included him in his campaign by appointing him to his African American Religious Leadership Committee, allowed him to officiate over his marriage and even baptize his children. Let’s not forget that Wright was the one that said Louis Farrakhan “epitomized greatness” when he presented him with a lifetime achievement award. What does this say about Obama’s judgment?

I also read Obama’s response in the Huffington Post about the controversy over the sermons of Pastor Wright, but found it inadequate. Wright blames the United States for 911 and the spread of AIDS among other things, but Obama claims that he didn’t know that Wright was like this. First of all he only denounced selected statements from Wright and not the minister himself, but if it is true that Obama didn’t know what Wright stood for then he is a very poor judge of character and has no business being president.

A religious adviser is not just a friend or someone who endorses a candidate; he or she is someone who helps to shape that person's character. I believe that Michelle Obama’s remarks about never being proud of her country is a direct result of Wright’s influence and teachings. Can anyone even imagine the outrage if he had been one of Clinton’s or McCain’s religious advisers?

Obama tried to write the pastor off as an old uncle that you don’t agree with, but you don’t choose to appoint your old uncle to your presidential campaign or take him on as your spiritual adviser.

Lastly, how could anyone with any integrity respect a man who would say all of these hateful and divisive things? I wonder how many more similar sermons by Wright are out there just waiting to be found.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

March 14, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  14. Elaine, Michigan

I'm also disturbed about Rev. Wright's sermon, but for a different reason than most. I am a born again christain. White America has no idea of what it is like to be "BLACK IN AMERICA". I'm 67 years old and even today, face bigots. For many of you to act like there is no reason to feel this way is crazy. Racism is alive and well. The KKK just no longer where sheets but they wear suits. My bible tells me to love every one and HE will judge. Some of you should be afraid of God's wrath.
    Elaine

March 14, 2008 at 8:11 pm |
  15. Paul

It is amazing to see the kind of fantasy-land in which so many Obamaniacs reside. Why would anyone on this blog assume that Obama would be "surprised" by the sickening anti-American, black victimhood message of this hateful pastor, whom your hero has known for 20 years. I suppose Constance thinks Obama must not have been in church for that one sermon in which this racial arsonist uttered this trash. Open your eyes! Rev. Wright has laced a number of his sermons over the years with this kind of exploitative trash talk. This man is the person Obama chose to baptize his children and officiate at his marriage. And the Reverand's "G-D America" message is hardly that different from the "blame America" chorus
    that unites the Democrats' entire approach to foreign policy. Wright's message also dovetails nicely with Obama's refusal to put his hand over his heart for the pledge or to wear a flagpin on his lapel. I'm glad CNN is at least addressing the issue, now that it's apparent the American people are not going to allow mainstream media outlets to brush it under the rug.

March 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  16. Judith

I'm tired that when Hillary or her people says something the Media takes and runs with it while the Obamo people have smiles on their face.What's good for one is good for All

March 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  17. kim

I do did not understand why Sen Obama has to jump though hoops to denounce the words of someone else. Sen. McCain said he denounced the words of his spritiual advisor, and then continue down the yellow brick road.
    Sen. Obama is being held to a higher standard why?

March 14, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  18. Ben Holt

Cooper and CNN are in the tank for not showing anything about the Reverend Wright and his ministry of hating America.

MODERATOR: Ben – we covered the story last night and will have more tonight.

March 14, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  19. Carolyn Lewis

Obama has been stressing his good judgment.

But I question his judgment regarding allowing himself, his wife and his children's close association with Rev. Wright.

Why would anyone want to teach their children to hate their country and non-black citizens? Why would Obama want to listen to this kind of speech?

He should have walked out of this church many, many years ago.

Not very good judgment as far as I am concerned.

March 14, 2008 at 8:08 pm |
  20. Ron

Some of the things I hear the black race speak of and the way they say it puts me in mind of another culture who wants to see every american dead. Barack Obamas Reverand is SUPPOSED to be a man of God but the comments he has spoken scares me alot. The presidents office carries a lot of weight. What is going to happen if Barack gets elected and then starts working only for the black race.
    The president of the United States cannot afford to have a race, culture, or a special religion. He is supposed to work for all of the people, regardless of race,color,creed, or religious background. I am frightened by the reverands remarks, it says that all of the black race believes different and when he is in office he will be strictly for the black race.

March 14, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  21. cookootoo

Robert L. Manghane, where the heck have you been? Clearly NOT watching CNN who has been so PRO Obama it took a SNL spoof to get the networks to recognize that it too has been under Obamas spell. Not me! I don't worship or follow him in any way shape or form. He is a fraud, and a liar among other things.

March 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  22. doc

I want to know if Senator Obama was ever in church for any of these incredible speeches. It surely makes sense to me now that his wife was. He stated this afternoon he was never in church for any of these speeches. Put him on "CNN record" on this Anderson! There are a lot of people that want to hear him say this in person.

March 14, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  23. daryl

I don't think Obama can ever come up with a valid reason as to why he has stayed with the Trinity United Church. This is not a random occurrence, but a faith and hateful beliefs that Barack has taken part in for 20 years. This is not just one man's thoughts and beliefs, but an entire congregation made up of thousands of parishioners that have these twisted ideals and values. It makes me sick to think that he brought his children to hear those kinds of sermons.

March 14, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  24. WAYNE

It's odd how every time the Clinton Campaign has a verbal mishap, no more than 24-36 later, a more incredulous comment is found from someone with connection to the Obama campaign. maybe I am paying too much attention to the process. It appears to most of these "slips" are staged so that the more damning comments of Obama supporters can be brought to the forefront without seeming biased. I don't think it's racist. But it's appears to be a good campaign tactics. That is if you approve of these methods.

March 14, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  25. Judith

God Help the Country and the White House if Obamo wins with a friend and pastor Rev. Wright at his side or even at the wing.Obamo was question about his preacher during a debate and at that time he tried to brush it off with Clinton.
    Funny how a black person can use the word N and the minute a white person does this it's bad news
    If this happen to Clinton the media would have had a field day.Now I hope all these Governors that support him re-think for the people of your States and take it back saying if I knew than what I know now I wouldn't have,well it's not too late.I

March 14, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  26. Jerry Jasembo

The media is now focused like a laser on comments made by Pastor Wright in a clip currently doing the rounds. The aim of the focus is to somehow make Sen. Obama be guilty by associating with Pastor Wright. Now, we all remember the acerbic anti-semitic comments made by Pastor Billy Graham at the White House. Billy Graham was a pastor to many Presidents including the Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton. By current media reasoning is Hillary Clinton now guilty of anti-semitism because Billy Graham was her Pastor when she was at the White House? If not, why is Sen. Obama being treated differently? Pastor Wright speaks for himself and Sen. Obama has nothing to do with what he says.

March 14, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  27. helen bevere

I don't envy you tonight- this may be the most talked about interview you ever do. glad they gave it to you though. you are more pointed and even than your counterparts
    it is really important for the american people to clear this up. so far obama has said he never heard about these comments and feelings of his pastor. the public isn't stupid. and he is still involved in the campaign
    in the debate when asked about farrakhan he said"I can't help it if he thinks I am a cool guy"- only when pressed did he denounce
    I wanted very hard to believe in obama but there just seems to come up with more old politics
    please make him be pointed-concise and verifiable- if he comes out okay- so be it- more americans will be committed to his campaign
    I respect your jounalistic integrity and look forward to watching you tonight
    helen
    I respect that you

March 14, 2008 at 8:01 pm |
  28. Bonnie

I think what others are missing is the fact that this man is not just his minister–but he is a very dear friend. How can you be friends with someone for 20 years and over look his racists rants. You usually associate with people of like thoughts. Does Obama have any of the same feelings as Rev. Wright? Why associate with this man for 20 years if this is how he feels about fellow Americans? I think people will now be suspicious of Sen. Obama.

March 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  29. Paul R

I think that it is time Obama steps down from the Senate and stops this campaign for the White House. America does not need this racist perspective in a leadership position. It is time to bring America together and put an end to racism.

March 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  30. Toby

I do understand that there is separation of Church and State. But the statements that Rev. Wright said, are filled with has much hatred as Hitler and the KKK.

Our forefathers wrote laws, pledges; the words used were combined with God. The United States has opened her doors to everyone in the entire world, so that they could live a dream. In God's eye you should help and love those who need help.

At present, the entire world needs help.

I hope tonight (Fri. 3/14/08) Senator Obama speaks truthfully and honestly about his church beliefs and Rev. Wright, also I wonder if he and his family were at this Christmas Service. All will be watching to make sure we are not being "hood winked". We got your message earlier in the week.

I am from the South and this problem (Rev Wright) and rumors regarding the Pledge of Alliance (Under God), is a very difficult subject in the South, with all Voters.

March 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  31. edmond

hillary camp again,am so tired of it,this woman must go

March 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm |
  32. nate

It is unfortunate that a Reverend that has baptized Senator Obama's children and conducted his wedding ceremony has been blatently speaking words which embrace racial divisiveness and animosity. I am glad that Senator Obama has come forth to condemn the Reverend's words and actions and firmly believe that Senator Obama's actions are in fact sincere given his strong relationship to his mother who taught tolerance and compassion for all people and living things. I challenge other African-American leaders such as Al Sharpton to follow the example of Senator Obama in correcting and condemning others within the African-American community who use divisive language in an effort to alienate our nation.

March 14, 2008 at 7:55 pm |
  33. marian

It is all well and good that Senator Obama denounces what his former pastor said. The remarks were abhorant. His remarks were both racist ans sexist. Had Senator Clinton's pastor made similar disparaging remarks about Senator Obama the press would be calling for her head! What scares me about what the minister said is the fact that even if Senator Obama has denounced what was said this is still the minister of the church that Senator Obama has attended. During the 20 years this is the rhetoric that Senator Obama has been listening to. Did he just discover now that he has been following a racist minister? Continuing to attend the church with Rev Wright as pastor was wrong. If you disagreed with many of his comments over ther years as you now say you did why would you continue to subject your daughters to his rhetoric? By staying you contributed and supported a platform for Rev Wright to spew his racist comments. Perhaps if you had chosen a different minister to follow Mrs. Obama would have had an opportunity before now to be proud of her country.

March 14, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  34. Robert L. Manghane

Re: " Obama answers critics "

It is very interesting that CNN continues to pounce on all who support
    Senator Obama while you allow many instances of Senator Clinton to
    diminish. Would CNN like to change it's name to the " Clinton News
    Network" ? You did not show this type of interest in instances where
    someone around Clinton made very derogatory statements concerning the African American voting block. Could it be that CNN
    has racial intentions also. You did not call George Bush the modern
    day " Hitler " after the Katrina incident. Perhaps, CNN needs to check it's own philosphy to determine it's stance.

March 14, 2008 at 7:54 pm |
  35. William

To Whom It May Concern,

With all the Rev. Wright's preachings against America (white America at that), that Senator Obama and the Senator's wife, Michelle has attended. Regarding a statement that Michelle Obama had made, that she is now happy to be an American. Sounds like to me, that she's been following and believeing in Rev. Wright's preachings. Michelle is only happy, because her husband is presently in a race to become President – not for any other reasons. How is it, that Senator Obama doesn't believe in the same preachings, as well. We only hear these denouncements, by Senator Obama, after Rev. Wright's statements are made public.

March 14, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  36. Fay, CA

Obama is going to have to be very clear about where he stands in regards to his pastor's remarks–this is a very serious issue and he cannot afford to give vague answers. I'd like to believe that he does not share the same views as his pastor–it would be a very disturbing contrast to the generally positive campaign he has tried to run.

March 14, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  37. deborah thomarios

I am not suprised this came out about the minister at United Trinity Church, almost a year ago I heard the hateful remarks this man was preaching, I looked up the United Trinity Church website, this website was directed to Africa and sending everything back there, not one word was said about the US. I looked up this website recently, and has a totally different format.

March 14, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  38. Joanna

Bravo for CNN for continuing this dialogue and providing Barack the opportunity to speak! Unfortuneately, the majority of Americans do not understand the deep rooted intersection of power and privledge in this country. But, I do believe – based on the momentum of Barack's message and subsequent support – that people are beginning to understand the vital need to unite and change the way we have been doing politics. The strong rhetoric of Rev. Jeremiah Wright goes beyond the experiences and contexts of the dominant culture in the United States. Although some of his ideas may be flawed, there is substance to his message rooted in the oppression of African Americans and other minority populations. I can't wait to hear Barack's response on this and hope he speaks to the human issues that face our nation and world that impact us all.

March 14, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  39. michele

ps
    rev wright is not racist
    he instills racial pride in a community that has been the victims of over
    400 years of racist supremacy.

March 14, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  40. Linda Searle

Anderson:
    I hardly watch anyone on CNN anymore because of the way they have
    treated Hillary Rodham Clinton and given Barrack Hussien Obama
    the run of the place. Obama being President would scare the pants
    off me because of the Muslim connection when he was a child and
    now the Pastor of the church he has gone to for all these years. How
    could he help but be affected. Also what his wife thinks about this
    country. She said it 2 or three times so she must have meant it. It
    seems to me that CNN is trying to get Obama to be the democratic
    nomination. If Obama gets the nomination, I will be voting Republican
    and so will a lot of people I know and I think McCain would be just like
    Bush but none of us would be willing to take a chance on Obama.
    I would be willing to vote for Colin Powell but not Obama. I also think
    he is arrogrant. He doesn't like our flag apparently because I have
    never seen him wear one. I use to watch Oprah Winfrey but not now
    either. We all know why the blacks all endorse Obama and that is
    because he is black and that encludes her. Hillary is white and she
    is female. Now if she was black and female Obama would't have a
    chance. Thanks for listening. I do watch you and Lou Dobbs.

March 14, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  41. susannah jones

Anderson, you can see the subliminal effect of the Pastor's comments in Michelle Obama's slip up "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud to be an american"
    if Barack does not get the nomination what does this mean, does she go back to being 'unproud'
    Also, at the outset of this race, I was intruigued with Barack Obama, but have felt over and over again that he is evasive. When questioned on anything about his record or deeds he has either
    1) come up with a smart alec reposte designed to deflect attention from himself and back on the questioner ( a juvenile trick)
    2) said it was a 'boneheaded' mistake
    3) declined to comment on too many occasions to mention

I know that most at CNN are in love with Mr Obama, but this country is in dire straights and the luxury of giving people slack is not an option at this time
    Please do your job for the people of America and the World
    You are a good reporter question him the way he should be questioned
    I will watch with interest

Susannah Jones

March 14, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  42. abdoul

Obama shoul fire this pastor from his staff.

March 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  43. Tony

I'm sure Obama has lost support over this, many I know who voted for him regret their decision and will not support him in November. This was a twenty year close relationship and can not be swept away with a denial.

March 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm |
  44. Ellie

I am amazed at the lack of coverage of this. The tiny bit of coverage it has gotten have been comments like Anderson Cooper's wondering if this even matters or should be covered at all. Now you're going to have Sen Obama on to gloss over it all. What kind of reporters haven't brought this all forward long ago? Barack Obama's mentor and pastor of 20 years hates America and believes Whites are the enemy. Sen Obama has been involved closely with the goals of this church and this pastor for 20 years and he has given huge amounts of money to forward those goals. America should have had a Black president and a woman president long ago but we should never have an anti American or a racist president. Sen Obama should drop out of the presidential race and leave his seat in the Senate immediately. The media needs to find someone a little less dangerous to assuage their guilt.

March 14, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  45. michele

so here it continues!
    the RACE card!
    so what if dr. jeremiah wright is unabashedly black or un apologetically christian?
    this sermon was truthful for millions of americans!
    there should be more pastor like jeremiah wright in the black community!
    rather than those preaching prosterity and riding self-owned jet planes,

March 14, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  46. onenibble

Obama is a smooth talker and can probably explain away almost anything but the Rev. Wright preaches everything but a message of hope.

March 14, 2008 at 7:46 pm |
  47. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

I've read today's statement from Senator Obama. In it he states "When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments." Oh really?

Sen. Obama announced his candidacy on 2/10/07. The first Democratic debate was 4/26/07. The first votes in the Iowa caucus were made on 1/2/08. The first time Obama has pubicly denounced Rev. Wright's comments were on 1/15/08 which were in relation to the public learning that Rev. Wright's church had given Louis Farrakham an award. After that, Obama only referred to Rev. Wright like "an old uncle" who sometimes says things that you deeply disagree with. Until today, Obama has never publicly addressed or denounced the inflamatory statements made by Rev. Wright in Sept. 2001, the "God Damn America" statement in 2003, or his Dec. 2007 statement.

Senator Obama has been campaigning for over a year knowing these inflamatory statements have been made by Rev. Wright. Yes we can now see how transparent a President he plans to be.

March 14, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  48. Rizabove!

Anderson,
    I have never heard CNN report that Barak's mother was White and that he was raised by his white grandparents whom he credits his success to and loved dearly. He cannot be a racist if he is White AND Black, that defies logic, correct???? Can a racist be a White man, even a half White man? Goodness drives me crazy when I hear about Obama being a racist when he is biracial. And no Obama is NOT only black, but also white, he is bi-racial. Tiger Woods is bi-racial and proud of it, so is Obama, and I think the media should start stating that he will be the first bi-racial person to become president. Does he have to play golf or baseball to get both of his parents recognized?????

The media tends to put a spin on the race issue, talking about how many blacks went and voted to Obama, is that supposed to be positive news or a way to continue to racially divide America. A House divided against itself will eventually fall. We have one house AMERICA.

CNN should have a sense of duty to be better than the next great rating, and instead be the first to take a chance on stating what Obama really is, a MIXED RACED, Bi-RATICAL candidate whom embraces both sides of his family.

We have to get beyond petty stories. Americans have to move forward with the issues that can make or break our Country, instead of chasing our tails in a circle over old stories about racial divides.

March 14, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  49. P L

After having read more of Jeremiah Wrights anti-American hate speeches from elsewhere and from Youtube, I am totally puzzled why this was not brought up earlier, before it's too late (almost). While I want to believe that Obama does not have the same stance as Rev Wright from Obama's own past and current statements, I wonder how he could have been ignorant of his pastor's extremely inflammatory position, and how he did not dissociate himself from the church and the man that nurtures such hatred. His slogan is suppose to bring hope and unite people. Until this matter is brought up to the public's attention that he uttered the above strong denouncement, he has been very cosy with the pastor. I wonder about his courage to denounce hatred when it is so wrong? Why would the pastor not respect Obama's position if he had the courage to make it known to the pastor? Afterall, Obama is a popular senator and now the popular candidate.

Wright has preached hatred over different occasions prior to the recent one that surfaced, one was in 2006.

He surely knew the perception of "guilty by association".

Can he lead the nation?

March 14, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  50. C.S.Addington

I've tried to put myself in Senator Obama's shoes, but am unable to understand how a man of faith could overlook, understand, ignore, etc., such un-Christian and alarming rhetoric from his minister....his spiritual leader.

This is not an issue of black or white. If my minister were to speak this way about people of other races or religions, I would immediately feel driven to find another place to feed my soul.

We don't stay in places that bring discomfort or stay close to people who have value sysytems that differ significantly from our own.

And, since when did a good Christian man, white or black, preach hate?

March 14, 2008 at 7:42 pm |