March 14th, 2008

Obama answers critics on 360° tonight

We had been working on this story all day  – the controversy over Barack Obama’s pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

360° tonight

Anderson talks with Democratic Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, responding to his pastor’s firestorm of controversy. 360° Tonight, 10p ET.

Rev. Wright recently had this to say, "Hillary was not a black boy raised in a single parent home, Barack was.  Barack knows what it means to be a black man living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary, Hillary ain’t never been called a n*****!  Hillary has never had her people defined as a non-person.”

Harsh words from a man Obama has called his spiritual mentor (he officiated the Obamas’ wedding and baptized their two children).  Yesterday, Sen. Obama was not commenting, so our plan for tonight was to run a story looking at the history of this kind of rhetoric in black churches and what Rev. Wright’s comments could mean for the his most famous congregation member.

But late in the day, the Obama campaign had a change of heart, offering up the Senator himself to address the issue.  So we’ll have that tonight, Anderson and Senator Obama responding to his pastor’s firestorm of controversy.

Program note: Anderson Cooper 360° airs live at 10p ET on CNN

Filed under: Barack Obama
  1. VB

I find this whole affair to be quite ridiculously unfair. Why should Sen. Barack be held responsible for the comments of another.

The truth is as so many have referred to, we have all had persons who we love and even admire dearly whose views we we sometimes disagree with.

Notwithstanding the above, I am really looking forward to seeing the show down later between Anderson and Barack. This is so as as underlined racial issues which this situation stirs may be a make or break issue for the senator's campaign.

March 14, 2008 at 7:40 pm |
  2. Dan

If you sit under a pastor for any amount of time, you assent and accept his teaching. To deny otherwise is a lie. Name me one church member who would continue to go to a church, if he didn't believe in the viewpoint or teachings of his pastor. I mean no one. How stupid can America be. This is a racist pastor. Not only was he Obama's spiritual leader but a mentor as well. So now the question is whether Obama can be trusted. Politicians will say what the people want to hear in order to get elected. Once in office, then all bets are off.

March 14, 2008 at 7:39 pm |
  3. MD

Its sad how the Media and other Powers that be are trying to bring Barack Obama down.What ever his preacher said Are and Was his own statements! Obama cant control everyone or eveything that comes out of someone else's mouth. Barack Obama is the smartest and most qualified man to get this country back on track.If the American people cant see that, then God help you...

March 14, 2008 at 7:38 pm |
  4. Irene

Anderson,

I 'm shocked , shocked to learn that Barack Obama
    had only recently learned that the Rev Jeremiah Wright
    was delivering such vile, divisive messages from the pulpit.

From what I could see on the video from last night, that
    type of sermon mesmerized and invigorated the entire
    congregation. How could Barak Obama not have
    been aware of such sermons ? Why didnt he protect his children from a congregation that embraced these sorts of ideas?

The American electorate may not be as intellectal as Obama,
    but we are not stupid.

March 14, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  5. Sandra Gooden

I can't help but feel that Obama's pastor set him up. The devisive language used by the pastor is really disgusting. I can not stand when black people get in each other's way, using rasist remarks does not solve problems it creates them. I am embarrassed by this pastor and proud of Obama for denoucing him.

March 14, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  6. Ashley

Im confused. Is Bill Clinton on tonight at 10ET or is Barack Obama because the schedule is confusing and conflicting?

MODERATOR: Ashley, we planned on bringing you Gary Tuchman's report on Bill Clinton tonight, but we've had to push it back because of our interview with Sen. Obama tonight.

March 14, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  7. Spencer

Anderson:

As a loyal 360 viewer and Independent voter, thinking of supporting Barack Obama. I strongly encourage and ask that not allow Barack Obama to play politics with this issue. Since this story came to light, I have research many of the former works and sermons Rev. Jeremiah Wright has offered his congregation. I am highly offended and appalled at the suggestion and comments insinuation of Dr. Wright.

Dr. Wright's beliefs, philosophies and teachings are very divisive, racially charged, controversially motivated. Which is in direct conflict with the kind of change Senator Obama is trying to sell the American voters.

With all do respect, as in many times in the past, Senator Obama is trying to dismiss or diverse this situation. By insinuating that Rev. Wright, is nothing more than a loose lip uncle. Being a person of faith, I can must say, I do not seek my spiritual guidance and fellowship for such a divisive character. More so, Senator Obama has stated on many occasions, Rev. Jeremiah Wright has had a major influence in his life. Rev. Wright has been his spiritual leader for him. Indirectly giving the Senator the name of this book. Dr. Wright and Trinity United Church of Christ has been his spiritual foundation for the last twenty years.

One of my many questions: How can Senator Obama claim to be a person to unite when his spiritual mentor and adviser is clearly a separatist? At it's core, this seems to me to be in direct conflict. I would be rejecting that kind of message, not continue to support the foundation from with it came. On a personal note, if my spiritual leadership preached as Dr. Wright has done. I would not be standing in praise, but rather standing to walk out!

Spencer

March 14, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  8. Monique Manna

How can he even be associated with a person saying those things. This has not helped Barrack one bit. We need to keep Gender, Race & Religion out of this – this is about our Country and how it is in a spiral twist going "Downward" and how our potential nominee's will help us – Let that person be black or white, brown or yellow – Male or Female.

I don't have the "I feel sorry for you because you had a rough life" – after all, no one felt sorry for me when I struggled – I learned from that experience and it only made me wiser and stronger. So what if Barack had a hard lfe – what he learned from his life has made him wiser and stronger. So what if Hillary had a modest life – she had to learn a different way. No matter what this should not be about Race or Religion. GROW UP PEOPLE!

March 14, 2008 at 7:33 pm |
  9. karani marcia leslie

You are aware that Maxine Waters, a supporter of Hilary Clinton, made the same statements as Wright, particularly regarding government planes bringing in drugs into the black community, as well as funds for needed services, teams sports, parks, etc being cut and gun shops opening.

Hilary certainly can't be condemned for not being black or poor but if Obama should repudiate Wright, maybe Hilary should repudiate Maxine.

March 14, 2008 at 7:32 pm |
  10. DeAnn Noel

Folks are delusional if they imagine the media is pro-Clinton. With friends like these who needs enemies! If Ms Clinton engaged in a real estate transaction like Mr. Obama + Rezko we would have seen the aerial shot of the property and a detailing of the money trail back to the Iraqi billionaire in London. Imagine having to go to the British press to get relevant information on my Presidential candidates! Then AC (and MSNBC) downplayed the Jeremiah Wright issue as if this man crossed the line on one occasion as opposed to this being his habitual way of talking to his flock. Now why would anyone subject hemselves to such hateful language for 20 years? Even more scary is that his young kids are exposed to such rhetoric. It is my opinion that Mr. Obama should have changed the rhetoric of this church for the better given the time he was there. The fact he did nothing tells me he is not a leader but a mere follower. And in case you are wondering I am a black woman with an independent mind. We should not tiptoe around issues that are clearly wrong because we fear being labelled racist. It seems to me the media is falling down on the job – thank God Al Gore invented the internet and made blogging universal.

March 14, 2008 at 7:31 pm |
  11. Ken Smith

Who believes Mr. Obama when he is distancing himself from his pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright. when he made racists marks against the the whites. It has taken Senator Obama to long to respond to this.He was quick to call for the head of Mrs Ferraro for making some truthful statements, they where not even racist remarks, This Rev. Jeremiah Wright went over the line with his taped remarks. In my opinion the damage has been already done to Senator Obama because of this, well if Obama is picked by the democrats they will be shooting there foot off, because the republicans will make this an election issue, with tv ads that would make there "Swiftboat Ads" pale in comparision.

March 14, 2008 at 7:29 pm |
  12. carlton

Hello anderson

First i would like to say to barack,i voted for you in the virginia primaries.I am a thirty two year old black male.Secondly,i do not agree with reverend wright tone or style of his message but the theme of his message is correct,no reasonable person can deny that.

I have always believe action speak louder than words so i hope america judge senator obama on his actions not the words of his pastor.

thany you,
    carlton
    citizen of virginia

March 14, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  13. Deain ,NewJersey

SEperation of church and state please.

March 14, 2008 at 7:28 pm |
  14. Vikki

Everyone is looking forward to watching Senator Obama tonight on Anderson Cooper. We are SO proud of Senator Barack Obama and we are very thankful for all he's done to help the people of Illinois. He is a rare and spectecular type of politician/person. Our hopes and prayers are that he'll be the next President of the United States of America!!!

March 14, 2008 at 7:25 pm |
  15. Michael

Obama can no longer win a general election. Not a chance!

March 14, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  16. Gail

He should be asked about his judgement – He has called Hillary Clinton's judgement into question. His patronage of this church and its views gives many reasons to question his judgement!

March 14, 2008 at 7:24 pm |
  17. Ed

Where's the video of Barack Obama applauding inappropriate comments from Rev. Wright in church? If it exists then I'd like to see that video.

March 14, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  18. Michael

Obama has a right to his religious beliefs but the stuff that his pastor is spouting is not religious! They are political views(Ignorant political views to tell the truth)! Once a religious figure starts spouting politics and racism then it becomes fair game. Anyone who was a close friend of the pastor and member of the church for 20 years and STILL HAS THIS PASTOR ON HIS CAMPAIGN would know his views!

If Obama did not share or at least sympathize with these views then he would have got up and walked out as soon as this hate and ignorance was spewed. Not to mention distance himself from an ignorant racist man!

March 14, 2008 at 7:21 pm |
  19. nick

No wonder Michelle is not proud of USA after listening to this guy for 20 years.

nick indiana

March 14, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  20. Don Hume

It seems to me that it is very unlikely that Mr. Obama could not have been aware of his pastor's feelings, philosophy, and statements on various occasions. If, after 20 years, he could not have made a decision to leave that church be must not have the guts or convictions to make difficult decisions as President.

Furthermore, his wife's statements seem to confirn her belief in what the pastor has said. Allowing their children to be exposed to such hatred is a sin against their children.

I would like Mr. Obama to tell me and the country how my logic is in error.

March 14, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  21. Suzanne Moore

Finally people are beginning to focus on who this person Barack Obama is – where does he come from – who shaped his views and beliefs – what does he really think. It is now obvious that Michelle Obama's comment three weeks ago that "this is the first time in my adult life that I am proud of my country" had its nexus in the rantings of their minister. Wirght is anti-white, anti-american and anti-USA. She is one very angry black woman and I suspect underneath it all so is Obama. You cannot listen to hate-speak and the rantings of a lunatic and not have it affect you. This racist, bigot married the Obama's and baptized their children. Obama now claims that he never heard Wright say any of these things. The press' next job to is to get ahold of Obama's schedule and see when he attended Church and see if in fact he heard the reprehensible things this Wright said.

So much for "The Audacity of Hope" and CHANGE. Change – please – this is a reversal of the progress that we have seen in race relations.

Dr. King would be appaled.

March 14, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  22. judy nichols

Up until today....my vote was for Obama....however, if Barack has no better sense than to spend his time at a place of worship, listening to the venomous words from Pastor Wright.....He will NOT get my vote....I DO NOT want him as my president....GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

March 14, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  23. nick

Anderson,

I am glad you are back in your oldself, being non partisan. Better late than never. :))) Anyway I dont think Obama is responsible for his pastors comments but i do have couple of questions for him. If he doenst believe pastors views why has he been in that church for 20 years? where is the judgement and the initiation to make things right?
    I wouldn't believe id Barak says that he is absent everytime pastor make these comments for 20 years.

bottom line Barak has give up something, either he was slacking in the church, not listening to pastor in the church which would question his devotion to church or his ability to stand up against the system.

I hope Barak and Michelle didnt take there kids with them when this guy was acting out Bill Clinton

hope you would throw some real questions and not end up in SNL.

March 14, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  24. Constance

Who hasn't had someone near/dear to them say/do something that has completely shocked or surprised them? It's just more of the same:
    – McCain vs. female lobbyist
    – Clinton vs. Ferraro
    – Obamo vs. Pastor
    This whole election year (Democrats and Republicans) reminds me of the ancient Roman Gladiators with their insipid jeering fans that will accept nothing less that death.

March 14, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  25. Charlie

It is fearful to have a spiritual mentor like that guy. That is a preach of hatred. He tries to divide White vs black. Hispanic vs black. We are in a modern society. But his mind is still living in the 60s. That is very sad. There are some reasons to be rich white. They are not given for free. They earned the fortune, (may be heritage) . There are also many many poor whites. Did he notice that?

So, Mr. Wright, if you want to be rich, just work hard or find some clever ways. But don't hate rich people. You should know the offspring of rich people are very likely to use drugs and call prostitutes. Though Obama also used drugs but not rich. Osama is rich but a No.-1 terrorist.

The Church ministers should spread love from Jesus and God. That is the mentor means. Even criminals want their sons to be good guys not criminals again.

God let you to be black. You must obey the God and thank God give you the wonderful life. You never watch the movie ?

March 14, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  26. Tammy Faye

you covered this for less than 10 minutes, played the least offensive remarks and should not even be considered. How biased you were we saw actual videos of hate on O'riley. A man can not sit in a church of hate and then disavow when it is convient. I am not racist. My husband is black and I am a repbublican but I was going to vote for Obama to help turn this country around. but now I question his character and show should you and all of us. you can not swipe this to the side. It is dishonest to present it the way you did last night.

March 14, 2008 at 7:14 pm |
  27. LL Barra/ Woodstock,NY

Obama's campaign has been so brilliantly run, I , for one, am so surprised that this was not dealt with sooner. Was it the plan to get these primaries behind them and the press would hold off on releasing these tapes. I note that ABC, CNN, MSNBC all aired the controversial tapes on the same day. March 13th. Also the same day they appeared on U Tube. Fox has been airing and alluding to the pastor for sometime. Nowadays one has to watch all networks to see how the world and the spin is evolving.

I just hope the MSM is not again witholding information or massaging information that the American public should be made aware and consider for who we will nominate and vote for the biggest job on the planet.

Please I beg of you Anderson...ask Mr. Obama why is is so late in addressing this situation. He surely knew this would come out and how it would appear. He can't step away from this ... too many dots connect them.

March 14, 2008 at 7:13 pm |
  28. LT

I hope Anderson asks Senator Obama if the video that is being shown on UTube is being sold by the church as has been reported. If so, then the problem is not just with Rev. Wright.

March 14, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  29. Kirkman

Anderson, as a democrat trying to get all the fact on all of the candidates for this election, I would like for you to ask a couple of Sen. Obama for clarity.To what extent was/is he involved with Toni Rezko and the billionaire Nadhmi Auchi from Iraq?Was he aware of the large contribution he made to his senate campaign in Chicago through Rezko in 2004. Did he assist Rezko in acquiring a visa for Auchi to travel to Chicago in 2003 and did he meet with him and Rezko?

March 14, 2008 at 7:12 pm |
  30. John Jurek

Dear Anderson ,
    I would love to ask senator Obama question , could you do that for me please ? He claims his judgment is what sets him above other presidential contestants . So how come he associates himself for what I understand close to 20 years, with somebody who clearly hates this country , who is clearly racist . I'm christian as well , and I will tell you that my judgment -even I'm not running for president tells me to change the church I'm going to first time I hear something like this , not after 20 years !! And I will tell you , atmosphere in the church I'm belonging to is quite different – I mainly hear about love of God and other human being . thank you , John .

March 14, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  31. RAE

I am really glad all these dirt stuff are coming out of the Closet right now. It is better now than later . People can really see who they are and where they came from such as; their beliefs and their bases.

March 14, 2008 at 7:09 pm |
  32. Kathie

Let's see if he gets all softball questions and if his responses go unchallenged or just blindly accepted.

March 14, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  33. Emily Brinac

Contravdictoryl pastor should not make anybody leave the church and the people that one associates with in the church. We do not run away from wrong comments. We can also change people and influence them into right direction. Many times I disagree with priests in my church. However, priests do not own the church, entire congregation is the church.
    Candidate Obama deserves a Break!
    Emily

March 14, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  34. Jessie

Senator Obama claimed in a press release this afternoon that he does not agree with Rev Wright. That being the case, why has the Senator kept a 20 year long relationship with the Revend.? More to the point, why keep as a "spiritual mentor" a man who see America in terms of black & white If color does not matter, as Senator Obama claims, why keep a close "spiritual" relationship with a person who seems to have a problem with "white America". And, why bring such troubling language into a House of Worship? Where is there room for God in Revend Wright's message? And are there no other Churches in Obama's home town? Please consider the above and perhaps ask the good Senator why?

March 14, 2008 at 7:06 pm |
  35. deb in az

i am questioning barack obamas character on this....he keeps rejecting what rev wright says........hes says hes like an old uncle......how can he attend this church for 20 years? this is a man that preaches hate.....is sen obama deaf? how can you not believe what is preached to you and attend this church........my mom voted for sen obama and after viewing this video said that this is scary.......and i must say it is......how can he subject his children to these kind of teachings.......i have an old uncle thats a minster and he does not preach these things... this man is hate monger which obama preaches against........i would make the case that sen obama needs the white vote and the hispanic vote and the asian vote to win.....a real turn off to a lot of people and not a good thing for the democratic party...

March 14, 2008 at 7:05 pm |
  36. Vicky

Although Senator Barack Obama has made it clear that he does not agree with such inflammatory statements, he is a member of this church. When his presidential bid began there was just a small bit of information about his church made available. I understand that an election should be about "issues" and not religion or race, but in fact it is. His minister is more than just his " spiritual advisor," or else he would have not attended church there for as many years as he did. We as people need to remember that these remarks were made in a house of god during a sermon. how do the comments he made lead anyone to god. It is a very sad thing. I am sure this is not the first time that these comments were made during a sermon. my question for Sen. Obama is ---– If you are truly a man of god, a christian, as you say you are, how can you attend a church regularly and befriend a man that obviously has an enormous amount of racial hate in his heart?

March 14, 2008 at 7:03 pm |
  37. tara bonner

I think that it is terrible that the media is flashing over and over again this type of inflamed information that does not have anything to do with the candidate...surely you have been associated with someone of whom you do not agree with everything that they say

2nd: what is wrong with the fact that he said that Hilllary has never been called a n@#$$$$ she hasn't ...it's a fact??

March 14, 2008 at 7:00 pm |
  38. L Meyer

I am anxious to see how this story unfolds. Especially since the pastor has been an influencing factor in Obama's career, self-admittedly so by Obama in his books and while stumping for the Democratic nomination.

What I find more interesting, however, is how now Obama is very quick to distance himself. In terms of what influence his pastor has or hasn't had in Obama's political arena, I hope AC nails this one.

Several "fund raising" efforts have been led by this pastor as well as members of this congregation. I believe there was a small blip about this about 3 months ago that nobody really picked up on.

Anderson, I hope you cover this one well!!

March 14, 2008 at 6:59 pm |
  39. Cindy

It's about time that Obama speaks out about this rather than having people who work for him do it. I was beginning to wonder if he ever would! I'll definitely tune in to see what he has to say because really I can't see how he has been in a church for 20 years and doesn't agree with what his pastor says. If that is the case then Obama needs to find a new church to call home.

It's been my experience that how ever the pastor goes so goes the congregation. You don't pick and choose what you will follow that your pastor says. It is all or nothing. Makes me wonder what Obama really believes.

Cynthia, Covington, Ga.

March 14, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  40. Charlotte D

Anderson,

Yikes! What a "get." I am so looking forward to your interview with Barack. With friends like his pastor, Barack doesn't need any enemies.

Charlotte D
    Stockton CA

March 14, 2008 at 6:57 pm |
  41. Giselle Evans

Tthere was nothing "racist" about the Pastor's comments. He stated nothing but fact with respect to the power structure in this country and Barrack's position within that - historical or current.

The problem with his statements with respect to race is their focus on the negative. I don't think that children, especially, should be subjected to that kind of negativity; because it would tend to discourage them and increase their insecurity about dealing with other groups. Although negative experiences do and will occur, they should not be dwelled upon and should be treated as individual incidents with misguided individuals.

The pastor's most egregious error was dragging up the Monica Lewinsky debacle. That was very rude and unchristian as far as I'm concerned.

As a matter of fact, that entire tirade had no place in the pulpit and it's a good thing that Wright retired; because he does not belong there.

Barrack needs to denounce Wright without equivocation and speak to the children on this subject...

March 14, 2008 at 6:54 pm |
  42. Thomas Owens

Enough of attacking Sen. Obama about his spritual leader's comments. If that pastor feels the way he expresses in his sermons, then allow him that freedom. The last time I checked in this great country of ours you have a freedom to practice any religion you choose. The notion that an individual would embrace every word they hear from their religious leaders is rediculous. It's like saying every Catholic would embrace any preist who molest little boys, every Judist would embrace any Rabbi who speaks against Christians and Muslims, every Christian would embrace any Reverend who speaks against Hindu's, and Jehovah Witnesses, So stop with signaling out one presidential canidate about comments they can't control. Do onto others as you would do unto one. The news media are the true creators of racism in this presidential campaign. They comment on racial statements made by everyone but the canidates and don't seem to stick to the issues of concern in this country. So let an old fool be an old fool. However, there is truth in his statements like it or not. Sen. Clinton is not black that is true, and the majority of rich people in this country are white that is true!

March 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  43. chuck knicely

I really don't get the hubbub about what the pastor said. Anderson are you not related to the Vanderbilts. Hillary and John both had breaks ofcourse McCain is the son of an admiral. he survived torture yet embrasses the man who lied about torturing. Hillary acts like she has karl rove on the payroll and yet there is a big hubbub over a Black pastor saying politics is run by priviledged whites? Why does a black youth get sent to jail for what Paris Hilton does and gets away with it time after time until the judge has enough?

Why do illegals get all the rights an urban young person does not. Having been white all my life what do i know other than what I have seen. I havenever been pulled over for driving while black. So for most Americans it should be refreshing that someone who lives the America dream, who knows what poor is and what ceilings must be shattered to get to the top of politics is here right now.

If you have a pastor or Rabbi or whatever do you believe everything they say? Probably not! The thing that keeps you grounded is the congregation and that is why obama stays, so would you and most everyone else. If His pastor says something unamerican he is not the first but he is black. Is that what you and others get hung up on?

March 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm |
  44. bond

This is old news Anderson. This is obviously CNN's way of "giving some" to both candidates after the Ferraro fiasco and after Clinton whining about being picked on by the media. Even after the candidates once again reiterated that they want to focus on the issues, you at CNN are the ones injecting the racial focus.

March 14, 2008 at 6:51 pm |
  45. Lilibeth

Although it would be nice to hear Sen. Obama's comment on Rev. Wright's sermon, I don't think Sen. Obama feels the same way the pastor does. He should not have to defend or explain himself for the pastor's words, even though he calls him his "spiritual mentor." The pastor is the one who should do the explaining...not Sen. Obama.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

March 14, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  46. onenibble

Why did Obama go to a church for 20 years, where his pastor and spirtual advisor is preaching a racist message if he does not have the same beliefs. Rev. Wright has made comments such as "G... Dam America" and blamed 911 and aids on the U.S. His church gave an award to Louis Farrakhan. Another example of the one/sided reporting of the news media.

March 14, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  47. Ed

Did Obama ever hear Rev. Wright say anything inappropriate when he attended church? Did Obama or Michelle ever applaud to anything inappropriate while at church? Do you feel any pressure from others to stand up and applaud even if you don't necessarily agree with it?

March 14, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  48. Kay

Obama's friend and spiritual advisor of 20 years said: 1. US brought on 9/11. 2. US brought on AIDS against African Americans as genocide. 3. Barrack is Jesus. 4. Hillary is white and hasn't had to work twice as hard as a black person.

Please ask Obama if he took his kids to this church (child abuse)

Why after months, and years of his spiritual advisors remarks, does he think that he can denounce this now. I do not believe the AMERICAN PEOPLE will believe him.

What does the DNC think about this? Obama needs to step down

March 14, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  49. ms

Senator Obama is in a delicate position. A position most readers will not appreciate. Within the UCC, congregates do not blindly follow their leadership. Respect is the norm, but differences of opinion are normal. Not like the "normal" evangelical perspective at all, where homogeneous loyaty to "authoriity" is what counts. The question begged is "what is democracy"?

March 14, 2008 at 6:48 pm |
  50. Cassandra

I encourage everyone to read the following books: "The Case of Civility" by Os Guinness, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

We live in a very diverse country. We should all take a deeper look at how much we want religion to be inner-twinned in our politics. If Obama is to address the thoughts of his pastor...... then let all pastors speak up & address this issue as it relates to politics.

God Forgive Our People & Let Us Unite For The Common Good......

I am extremely disappointed in CNN........

Obama 08