September 2nd, 2014

Kids on the gun range

Last week we reported on the tragic story of a nine-year-old girl who accidentally killed her firearms instructor while learning to shoot an Uzi.  It started a national debate over how young is too young to fire such heavy weaponry. Gary Tuchman visited the Okeechobee Shooting Sports range in Florida, where the owner said he has seen four and five-year-olds shoot better than some adults.

Post by:
Filed under: Gary Tuchman • Guns
  1. elgatoysuperra

When I was a kid, I learned to shoot from my dad, a two war vet and a peace officer. I took the NRA safe hunting course, learned how to use a gun safely. That's important. As my dad said, you never know when you might need it. I have never been into guns, haven't held one in decades, think assault rifles available to all and sundry is lunacy at best. Still, it is good to know how to handle a gun, especially for kids, to gain some respect and skill so they don't hurt someone out of curiosity and ignorance. It is fun to shoot at targets, nothing wrong with that. Hunting for food is our right as well. Machine guns on the firing range? That is suspect and no kid should be involved in that unless they already have a strong background in basic rifle use and super qualified supervision. Even then it seems like something best left to the military, as there is no sane or legal use for automatic weapons apart from law enforcement. You want to stop a burglar or whatever, one well placed shot from a pistol will do it. Gun control is sorely needed in the USA – not a ban, just tighter control, especially on automatic weapons. All the 2nd amendment touting numskulls who think any effort to stop the insanity we see around us every due to easy access to high powered automatic weapons is tantamount to heresy are just that – numskulls. This country would be better off without you and those who stoke your stupidity. And better off without these types of weapons in the hands of children, that much should be obvious by now.

November 1, 2014 at 8:05 pm |
  2. brownmatthew10

We HAVE to teach our young about guns!! They have to understand how dangerous they can be when they aren't used correctly. I was shooting guns by the time I was 5 years old. I wasn't shooting an UZI, but I learned to respect fire arms and how to handle them. I learned the dangers they can cause in the wrong hands. I mostly learned that if I see a gun and there is no adult around, I'd better go find an adult quickly. We can't just bury our heads in the sand and hope all the bad stuff goes away. We as PARENTS, not the government or school teachers, but as PARENTS, must teach our children right from wrong, how to be responsible, and what consequences are for their actions.

October 20, 2014 at 3:54 pm |
  3. jy1776jy

I blame Obama for our nation's problems. Kenney was much better leader then Obama. Kenney defended our nation, not Obama. Our borders are open to ALL. ISIS is here. since Obama doesn't care about our children or babies, old and our poor, we the people need to remember our for fathers. they put their lives on the line for our nation and the people. they confronted our enemies and protected the people of our nation.

October 6, 2014 at 9:10 pm |
    • brownmatthew10

Who is Kenney? And its "forefathers". Our borders are not open to all and if you are referring to KENNEDY, our borders are more protected now than they were back then. Obama does care, whether you want to believe it or not. And what does remembering our "forefathers" have to do with protecting our nation right now? You just spouted a bunch of ignorant garbage. Good job!

October 20, 2014 at 3:51 pm |
    • elgatoysuperra

You really don't sound like you took full advantage of our free public schools. I doubt you were alive when "Kenney" was president. I was. I loved him, but imagine holding a transistor radio to your ear, waiting for WWW III to start any minute. That was the reality of the Kennedy presidency, kids all over the country did just that. We sure did not feel "safe" under Kennedy, trust me on that. Haven't seen that under President Obama, have you? You sound like you have fallen for the lowest denominator of this land, the faux news hogwash that has turned millions into mindless drones. Not the best company, friend. Obama was at the helm when Osama Bin Laden was killed, air strikes are in progress against ISIS as we speak. If you don't feel protected here, try another country, and good luck with that.

November 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm |
  4. jy1776jy

why shouldn't our young defend themselves? ask the people who want to kills us, how old are they. how many of our military are dead due children charring weapons.

October 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm |
  5. abnguy

It is interesting that Anderson calls the Uzi heavy weaponry. It is a small arm with a underpowered cartridge.

September 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm |
  6. Renee Lynn

I still can't believe it. She should have AT THE VERY LEAST be offered blanks before shooting it loaded just to get the feel of the power she has in her hands.

September 3, 2014 at 11:42 pm |
    • brainclaw

Renee, they are .22 rifles. You could put the stock against your nose and pull the trigger. No recoil. Plus, blanks would have almost the same effect. These kids are perfectly safe.

September 4, 2014 at 11:52 am |
    • davehernandez1

Apparently you did not pay very close attention, Renee. Both of the girls who were shooting have been shooting for several years, so there would be no reason for them to be shooting with blanks.

Second, shooting with blanks does NOT give them any idea of the power involved.

September 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm |
  7. redleader1976

Per the gun control industry two out of three of rifles shown in this video are "Assault Weapons" even though they were all the same rifle (Ruger 10/22) and yet no one was killed or injured.

September 3, 2014 at 7:20 pm |