April 30th, 2014

AC360 Exclusive: VA hospital Director speaks after VA doctor says 40 veterans died while waiting for care

President Obama called for an investigation into a Phoenix VA hospital after AC360 exposed a former VA doctor's claim of at least 40 deaths of U.S. Military veterans last week. Three members of Arizona's congressional delegation want the hospital's director fired. Senior Investigative Reporter Drew Griffin tracked her down. The initial response was not-so-welcoming.

Post by:
Filed under: Drew Griffin • Exclusive • Keeping Them Honest • VA Investigation • Veterans
  1. Emanuele Corso, PhD

This should not be happening. I didn't much care for Shinseki when he was active duty and less now. There is NO excuse for this. Those vets did their duty these people are NOT doing theirs.

May 1, 2014 at 9:07 pm |
  2. monaryanchristian

I was told you were at Syracuse not long ago .... GO SYRACUSE .... my husband graduated from that school .... Many years ago... anyhow .... I think your an OUTSTANDING REPORTER .... GOD BLESS YOU ....

May 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm |
  3. monaryanchristian

THAT LADY HELMAN .... SHE'S A FAKE ASS PERSON .... her body language CLEARLY speaks for its self ....

May 1, 2014 at 4:38 pm |
  4. monaryanchristian

Anderson Cooper ..... THANK YOU !!!! SO MUCH !!!! FOR CARING enough to make a report of this .... I TRUELY feel LIKE WE NEED TO TRULEY TAKE CARE OF THOSE WHO HAVE given up their life and family for OUR FREEDOM !!!!!

May 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm |
  5. trishcalusa

Thank you Anderson. Unfortunately this is happening in other cities. I took my husband to the ER at the VA Hospital in Los Angeles. They did a number of tests ultrasounds, blood work and an MRI. After 8 hours they told us he had gallstones that have to be removed. We were given Vicodin , sent home and told to wait for a consultation date with the surgeon. 10 days later and many phone calls to the VA with no response my husband looked like he was dying. After me being nasty, telling him I would divorce him I put him in the car and took him to our local hospital. He was taken in to surgery the next day where they discovered his gallbladder had died, was gangrene, and had attacked his large intestine. 10 days in the hospital a bill for $69,000 my husband survived. 7 days after that we received our consult date from the VA surgeon. Our own surgeon told us my husband would not have lasted another week. We have called the VA, seen advocates, filed claims which have all been denied!! These men and women put their lives on the line for us and this is how we treat them!!! The VA needs to be re vamped and our vets need to be taken care of.

May 1, 2014 at 2:12 am |
  6. tonib1

This is VA everywhere! My father has been waiting to see a doctor for 60 days with a confirmed broken back. He went to the VA for a broken back and was given pain meds by a NURSE without ever seeing the dr. He then flew from NM to Alaska to visit me, when he arrived I took him to the ER, sure enough he has a compression fracture. The VA has refused to see him right away. He has now been waiting over 45 days to get an initial appt. Even though they have all the records showing his broken back. The VA is a joke and something has to be done. Too many Vets such as my dad are waiting in pain with a very current issue and even dying waiting. It is terrible that the VA does not put there Vets first. My dad is proof of this!

May 1, 2014 at 12:08 am |
  7. stevebell1974

Bravo! Thank you Anderson for not letting this fade away.

April 30, 2014 at 11:56 pm |