AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
December 20th, 2013

Hot sauce teacher rehired

A Florida teacher is back in the classroom after she admitted to dousing crayons in hot sauce and giving them to an autistic child. CNN’s Gary Tuchman reports.

Post by:
Filed under: Gary Tuchman
  1. Bryan

Hot Sauce is not toxic. Its a safe deterrent. It totally works to keep my girlfriends out of my nachos. But seriously, several FDA approved sprays are out there to teach kids to keep their thumbs out of their mouths. Hot sauce is inexpensive and effective. Great thinking. And thanks for saving this child's life from choking on foreign objects.

January 15, 2014 at 2:15 am |
    • Ian

First off, hot sauce is an excellent way to keep girlfriends away from nachos, fries, burgers, pizza, or really any type of food that you do not want to share.

As far as the teacher is concerned, I agree with you that what she did was probably with the best of intentions. However, doing something like that is really more of a parental decision and is an inappropriate action for a teacher. Hopefully she learned her lesson on boundaries though.

January 16, 2014 at 11:52 am |
  2. Pat von zur Muehlen

Touch the crayon, rub your eye, experience great pain. The teacher has no sense. She should not be a teacher.

December 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm |
  3. Ronald Pence

So what. If the parent were capable of teaching the child to keep nasty stuff out of their mouth I guess they would have done so instead of waiting for a teacher to teach them. Commercial bitter stuff is available that does the same thing. I guess some people would rather see the child go outside and stick doggie sticks in his mouth. Its better for a child to learn to not put everything in their mouth than to be uncomfortable for a few minutes of thier life. The negarive must have been written by those that have no parenting skills or children or both. My mother taught me not to suck my thumb by putting some very bitter stuff on ithe thumb. I hated it but I dont go around stickcing my thumb in my mouth or crayons or doggie poo. Also I survived and love them and appreciate them. I raised several well mannered children that contribute to society and they are thankful to have had parents that took the time to teach them a lot of things they needed to know. I didnt read a single suggestion of a better way to teach the lesson either. Quick to criticize those that take on problems and solve them?

December 30, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
  4. David

Did you ever think she may have been trying to prevent the child from eating the crayons? Geez people, don't be so quick to judge.

December 26, 2013 at 5:06 am |
    • Another David

I agree. Sounds like she didn't want the kids to put these things in their mouths. Its not like hot sauce will kill you – probably just make some kids not want to stick it in their mouths again. Hot sauce is food not poison.

December 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
    • Dani

I originally agreed. I used to use spicy nail polish to cure my nail biting BUT the hot sauce can easily be transferred to the child's fingers and find its way into his/her eyes (as someone who has gotten jalapeno juice in my eyes I know how painful it is).

January 4, 2014 at 3:14 pm |
  5. Justin H

This is absolutely horrible. Even if there is no proof she forced the child to eat the hot sauce contaminated items, the fact she would even go as far as she did is outrageous. My personal feeling is the parents should file a civil suit against the teacher for emotional damages to their son. This teacher needs to be punished and she should not be working with special needs children.

December 24, 2013 at 5:07 am |
  6. marlon

.I have an autistic child. if it's up to me I'll sue the school system...What she did was child abuse.

December 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
  7. Mary

My son is autistic and if shr did this to him she would be sued into the Stone Age. I would make sue she never worked again. This s cruel.

December 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  8. Tracy

Any teacher that would spike any crayons and playdough should not be teaching any children PERIOD!

December 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm |