AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
August 22nd, 2013

Behind the Antoinette Tuff / Kendra McCray reunion

Everyone is talking about Antoinette Tuff and the stunning 911 call she made during the Georgia school standoff. For the first time, she met the woman who was on the other end of the line, 911 dispatcher Kendra McCray. Together they saved countless lives when a heavily-armed gunman barricaded himself inside the McNair Discovery Learning Center.

Tuff and McCray traveled to New York City and spoke to Anderson about how they helped stop the standoff from becoming a tragedy. Both said they were nervous, both said they hadn't slept the night before, and neither knew a reunion was in the works. They prepared for the big moment in separate green rooms, and the secret was safe until the were both on the set.

photo 2 photo 1

Antoinette did not come to New York alone. She was accompanied by her daughter LaVita Tuff. Lavita is a law student, and found out about the shooting on Facebook. She did not get a chance to speak to her mother until hours after the standoff ended. She didn't hear about her mother's heroics until after the 911 tape was released to the public.

Before the interview, Antoinette  learned President Obama wanted to speak with her. His call came while she was in the makeup chair.

After the show aired, Antoinette and Kendra spent some more time catching up and sharing pizza.

photo 4 photo 5

Post by:
Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Heather Braun

Antionette Tuff is a beautiful example to mankind. She has proven that the real power to change things in a positive way is the power of love. From her heart she was able to turn around a horrific situation. More powerful than any gun, or armed force, her connection and compassion brought Peace and Understanding which is the True Power that brings change to any undesirable situation. If we truly want to change our world, this is how we do it.
    Thank you for featuring her on your program so that we can all witness Courage and Love in action and take Antionette's example to heart..

August 25, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  2. Irene Wade

Antoinette Tuff, I am proud of you! The witness you revealed on that dreadful day surely prevented the massacre of your beloved students. Some do not put hope in the power of God and are lost; Praise God for grace, love, hope, and courage shown by you on that dreadful day.
    It is my belief that You are in God's grace and are to be showered with blessings.
    “I will make them and the places surrounding my hill a blessing. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing.”
    -Ezekiel 34:26

August 24, 2013 at 5:53 am |
  3. Dawn Andrews

I love this Lady Antoinette...She was so inspirational to me....I cried during this interview....She had a wonderful way of speaking and it opened my eyes wide open I havent felt that way in a very long time I have been in my darkness of my depression and now I will re-think my darkness and my faith....Thank you Lady Antoinette you are a saint to all those children and families....and to myself....

August 24, 2013 at 2:50 am |
  4. Cynthia Lee

hank You God for presenting Yourself through an Angel by the name of Antionette Tuff and the 911 operator. She demonstrated the humility and empathy that was needed that day to understand the complex situation that was presented to her. Her assignment from God was to do exactly what she did, and that was to express the love and compassion that is instilled in each one of Us. Instead of her being Self-centered ,she became God centered ,and that's what the young man could identify with.He accepted her Realness, and locked right into it. When people become self-centered, there EGO,is Easy God Out and focusing on themselves oppose to him. If We keep God in our daily equation and in front of everything We do in Life,then there will be less turmoil,pain and devastation in the World. I definitely understand and can identify with Pushing Past the Pain. Gods grace and Mercy is Sufficient for any given situation,circumstance or dilemna in Life. Much is given,Much is required. Acceptance, honesty, surrender,and the Spiritual Principles are the key to a grounded foundation in Life. God is the Answer.

August 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
  5. Jenny W

As a teacher who will have students in the room this coming Monday, I am so impressed with Ms.Tuff. She is truly blessed with the Holy Spirit. All the children at that school should be thanking her for this call and her calmness. If she had panicked, no telling what could have happened!

August 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm |
  6. Mary Ann Smith

This woman Adrian is a treasure. There are life lessons here about what is really important in life.
    We need to all be reminded how to be clear sighted .

August 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
  7. Adrian M Milam

Ladies and Gentleman I want to commend all of you for bringing a possible tragedy to and end.
    Antonette that was an excellent approach, Kendra that was excellent managing and supporting Antonette"s approach.
    I also want to commend the youg man (gunman) for being cognizant that he was not on his medicine, being unstable and requesting the authorities to come in and take you to the hospital where you could get treated for you so I commend you all.

August 23, 2013 at 10:39 am |