AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
June 17th, 2013

Female midshipman says Naval Academy classmates raped her

In a new development in an alleged sexual assault case at the U.S. Naval Academy, a Navy official tells CNN that the school's Superintendent, Vice Admiral Michael Miller, has ordered an Article 32 proceeding. Evidence will be presented at a hearing to a military legal officer who will determine if a court-martial is warranted.

A female midshipman claims three football players at the school raped her at an off-campus party in 2012 while she was heavily intoxicated. The woman, who was 20 at the time, chose not to be examined with a rape kit and didn't report the alleged crimes to authorities for eight months because she feared the backlash could turn violent. She was terrified of coming forward because, she says, she saw how other victims were treated.

In an interview with Anderson Cooper, she agreed to tell her story as long as we hid her identity. She speaks out about the culture at the school, and why she says what happened after the alleged attack was like "living a nightmare every single day."

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Navy
  1. Fritz

An aspect of this story that disturbs me is that this woman is supposed to graduate and hold the lives of subordinates in her hands. If she doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to immediately stand up to the flack she perceived she would encounter, I doubt she'd be able to stand up to the military community if one of her female subordinates reported a rape to her. It doesn't seem like she acted responsibly at any point.

July 3, 2013 at 2:47 am |
  2. MarkM

I hate to say it – but I agree. Another female drunk out of her mind. No, that does not excuse rape – but I don't walk down dark alleys at 2am and then act amazed when I'm mugged.

The guys deserve whatever they get – BUT – when do these young people learn that "Extremely Intoxicated" leads to problems, male or female.

July 1, 2013 at 11:14 am |
  3. Thomas

I am sorry, but I just do not get why women wait to report a crime of rape. It makes no sense to me. Backlash, fear, trama, embarrassment,...nooo! This should be a crime too! Allowing rapists to walk around free should be a crime too. The woman raped has a moral duty to get these guys off the streets to protect others!

July 1, 2013 at 6:09 am |
  4. Erin

I wouldn't be so anxious to blame the rape victim. It's been proven that the military has not established clear guidelines for reporting rape that will protect both male and female victims. Therefore, it shouldn't be so unfathomable that victims have felt they can't come forward.
    Only now in the climate of open discussion do many victims feel comfortable coming forward. While there are clearly cases in history where men and women have lied about being raped, I believe it's important to keep an open mind to the possibility that it did in fact happen, and allow the military to do it's due diligence in investigation. If a man or woman is drunk doesn't mean they deserve to be raped. Perpetrators of rape are typically angry individuals obsessed with control and victimizing the weak.
    Thank you for your consideration and thanks to the military for stepping up their commitment to the safety of the men and women who serve and die for our country.

June 27, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
  5. sarah

hmmmm, wonder if you two would be thinking the same thing if you'd been raped while drunk.

ijs

June 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • MarkM

I can say with assurance that I have NEVER been that drunk. I also don't drive 125 mpg in a 65, or walk down dark alleys at 2am and assume that someone else will keep muggers away from me.
      Yes, rape is horrible. No it should not happen, Yes, those involved should be prosecuted to the fullest extent – BUT – at some point you have to take responsiblity for your own safety. Getting blind drunk at a party isn't doing that.

July 1, 2013 at 11:21 am |
  6. TJohn

Yet another "heavily intoxicated" female who may not be held responsible for any consequences??? A la Stubenville? Again? And three friends in one night?? Wow. Can't wait to see who these people are. No rape kit? That means it is he said-she-said as they will all remember it differently.

June 20, 2013 at 9:12 am |
    • zak k

Exactly John, If both male and female are drunk, the male is automatically a rapist. And lets not overlook she was drinking underage. accusing people of rape is an easy way to pass off responsibility

June 21, 2013 at 2:48 pm |