AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
May 31st, 2013

Dad to teenage suspects: Rot in hell

16-year-old Skylar Neese disappeared after sneaking out of her West Virginia home on July 6, 2012. She wanted to hang out with close friends that night, so she climbed out of her window and got into a car with them.

The teen never returned. Six months later, two girls who had been her best friends told police they stabbed Skylar to death. The girls told police they left her body on the side of the road covered with branches.

One friend, Rachel Shoaf, left for church camp the day after the murder. The second girl's name has not been made public because she is a juvenile.

That other friend stayed in town after her friend's disappearance. She hung missing posters and comforted the family before the body was discovered. Skylar's dad told CNN's Randi Kaye their family thought her friend " ...was so upset and missed Skylar so much, and to find she murdered her makes me sick."

Skylar's father, Dave Neese, told Randi the suspects were close with his daughter. He described the girls as "inseparable" best friends. "They were together all the time. Especially the one that hasn't been named yet. She had just got back from vacation with her the week before this. She'd been best friends with her since she was 8 years old ... it's sick!" he said.

Rachel told police the reason she murdered her friend was because they didn't want to be friends with her anymore. Dave Neese said that explanation is 'sick.' In a statement to Skylar's parents Rachel's family said: "We are at a loss for words to comfort your pain. We were shocked to learn of our daughter's involvement ... in Skylar's death ... We know her actions are unforgivable and inexcusable."

The grieving father had a message for the two former friends, "Rot in hell ... I want them to go through the pain and agony my daughter went through. I want them to have no life because Skylar doesn't have one."

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. Angie

It seems like kids are killing at younger ages now. It's not always the parents who are to blame. Sometimes kids are raised by 2 loving, caring parents and they still go out and commit crimes. Peer pressure, violent videos and music have a lot to do with it. Some kids may think because I'm young I'll won't be punished. Life in prision without parole for these girls. They took a life.

June 25, 2013 at 7:04 am |
    • Jerry

You're wrong. Kids aren't killing at younger ages and music and video isn't to blame either. The fact is that this kind of thing has been happening for thousands of years, it's just that now people can go on the internet or turn on a TV and find out about these horrible things no matter how remote the location that they happened in. People aren't becoming worse, information is being spread faster.

June 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm |
  2. Jim S

I see things like this in the news virtually everyday and it's a deeply disturbing testament to today's children and to our society. It seems that so many children have no conscience, no remorse, no upbringing, and no restraints when it comes to such horrible behavior. Like so many today, I have no one answer. Parental guidance? Video games? Lack of religion? Violent television and movies? Who knows?

June 20, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • heather

And who do you think raised those children? Your generation, or the one after you. And who raised the parents that raised that generation? Your generation, or maybe the one before you.
      Tired of everyone saying, "What's wrong with these kids today?" What's wrong with them? The adults of today. Even then, good deeds usually do not make the news, but the good deeds that the kids of today are doing far outshine the bad that the few terrible ones are doing. Are streets are safer than they ever have been – meaning that the really terrible generations of people who were committing the crimes got too old to commit them, and the younger generations taking their place aren't committing as many. Maybe you should do some volunteer work and see the amazing things that these "terrible kids" are really doing.

June 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • Tom

You couldn't be anymore correct Heather. Every generation has unfortunate stories like this. I'm in my early 40's and I can recall just as many stories like this when I was growing up. Today's kids aren't any different than in my generation. Back then we didn't have internet and all this other socialized media to where vast amounts of news were at our fingertips at any given moment. So most horrific stories went unheard unless you read USA Today newspaper. Society will never change. There will always be crime. Hopefully, the good will continue to outweigh the bad.

June 22, 2013 at 7:51 am |
      • Sean

Thank you so much for that. I see it so many times, someone gets on a soapbox and starts preaching about how terrible the kids are this generation.

June 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
    • Glauber

It's hardly a 'today' thing. People have been killing other people for miserable, ill-thought out reasons since time immemorial.

June 23, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
    • Mark T

Lack of religion? Give me a break. Didn't the older girl go off to Christian Church camp after murdering her friend? Doesn't sound like religion made her a better person.

June 25, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  3. Lynne

they trick her to go hang out with them and then killed her, and then claim because they don't want to be her friends any more so they have to kill her !!!
    Ryan , society can not tolerate premeditate murder, the message is an eye for an eye. the message is they don't deserve to breath and walk among us.

June 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm |
  4. SHERRY

No matter why these two murders killed this young girl, it doesn't matter. THEY KILLED A HUMAN BEING. they should be given death. Why is it so easy for young people to killl for these days. They can just take a knife and stab not to defend themselves, but to kill and they stab many times. And these two ??? went on with their lives. These are two sociapaths. Get them off the streets. I am an ID addict and I know I will see them on Deadly Women in the future.

June 17, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
    • Hope

I don't want to admit it but you are correct. If we all took a step back and look at history, there are "monsters" in every generation. It isn't the parents, the tv, the internet, nor lack of religion. There will always be people that have no conscience out there. What we need are harsh enough laws to deter people from acting on their thoughts, but how harsh is the question. Life in Jail and the death penalty (sitting on death row for 20 years) obviously isn't deterring it. I am not going to sit here and say some of the things we should be doing because I believe it is in most of our minds already, we just don't want to admit that some other countries may not really be all that uncivilized but actually have it right. Our laws have been focused on protecting the guilty for a long time now, instead of being focused on protecting the innocent. We see where it has gotten us......

June 29, 2013 at 8:54 am |
  5. JaaAndya

Mental Illness and EVIL are two DIFFERENT things altogether. There are MANY mentally ILL people who do NOT cross the line between good and EVIL.

What these girls conspired together to do... was NOT "illness"... IT WAS EVIL !!!

June 17, 2013 at 10:26 am |
  6. Vince

"She had just got back from vacation with her the week before this." Hmmm, as far as motive, "not wanting to be friends" is clearly untrue and a smokescreen. Something that happened during that vacation (that perhaps the murderesses didn't want to get around?) could very well have precipitated the killing. The fact the the killing occurred within a week of the vacation indicates a likely connection. Could have been blackmail, or just the knowledge that Skylar might not keep quiet about something that happened while on vacation. "Friends" can be dangerous influences for teenagers; sometimes you never figure it out until it's too late.

June 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
  7. ashlynn

This is so disturbing on so many levels. Can't trust anyone these days! How can anyone go from childhood best friends to murder at such a young age? So senseless and evil. So terribly sorry for their loss. .

June 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
  8. sandra

This is horrible. This reminds me of the girl in southern California whose best friends since grade school killed her. Missy' s Murder. One of her best friends stayed and lived in her house with Missy' s mother to comfort Missy' s mother when all along she had planned Missy' s Murder with another friend. It happened in the 80's and recently her murderer was released. It's horrible that young girls can be so vindictive. The girls committed the murder because all the boys were attracted to Missy. I wonder if they will find this was the same reason in this case also.

June 12, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
  9. ScottB

Dad of dead girl didn't go far enough. He should publicly state that he will pay any amount to anyone to ensure that the two girls who murdered his daughter are subjected to all possible horrors while incarcerated, and that they live long lives under these conditions. Their continued, daily misery has now become his life's mission. Say it to their faces, and mean it.

June 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
    • ms K

O yes.....ruin lots of lives with bitterness and revenge ! Of course it was a "sick" thing to do, but......

June 12, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
      • Bob

To Ryan: people like you are the problem, not the solution. You are the type that "what if's" anything, and you're type is one of the big reasons why our nation is in such moral and ethical decay. Let these two girls have their day in court and let a jury decide their fate. If found guilty, send them to the chair for their crime.

June 13, 2013 at 8:55 am |
      • Rbnlegnd

There's no "but" to it. They stabbed a human being to death. No doubt about it, they admitted it. They don't deserve a hug and an ice cream cone, they deserve terrible consequenses. If it were my daughter they had stabbed to death, I would feel the same way this father feels. If they didn't want to deal with an angry father, with a knife, they shouldn't have stabbed his child to death.

June 21, 2013 at 10:27 am |
    • Shay

I agree ScottB. I'm sick of these people who care more about the rights of one who murders rather than the victim. These girls deserve nothing better than what they did to their friend. But no. These girls will get to live their lives, visiting with family, socializing, watching tv all paid for by the rest of us.

June 13, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • bill

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd make it well known that I will be funding the prison acounts of anyone who will devote themselves to making their daily life not worth living.

June 19, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • MALJAZUR

Oh, now I see where kids learn how to respond to people who do things they don't like...

June 24, 2013 at 11:58 am |
  10. Jimmie

I'm so sorry for the families loss of their daughter. This is absolutly horrible. The two girls who did may god have no mercy on them!

June 11, 2013 at 11:12 am |
  11. Charlotte

I agree with Sylars Dad...There IS a special place in hell for each of these girls!

June 5, 2013 at 8:03 pm |
    • Fritze

No there isn't. there is no hell at all. And if we continue to rely on "otherworldly justice" in the good or bad sense, we will continue to be lazy and miss opportunities to make the only life we have better. We need to change things here and now and not look forward to an afterlife for which there is not a shred of proof. Trial the girls. Hang them if they are found guilty, but don't comfort people with "god will punish them."

June 11, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
      • pascha

Thank you!!!!! I

June 19, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
      • Bruce

I agree. Let the courts and fellow prisoners punish these killers. I feel very badly for the families of all three girls....

June 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
        • Robert

You feel sorry for the families of all three yet wish for the two perpetrators to be tortured in prison? Is that going to bring comfort to their families?

June 24, 2013 at 12:25 am |
  12. Mike

Violence is such a horrible human weakness.

June 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
  13. Julie

My heart hurts for the parents and hope they find some type of peace. It scares me to death being a mother of two babies. I live in wv but I don't want to send my girls to school when they are old enough because of sick stuff like this. I hope they stay behind bars for the rest of there life.

June 5, 2013 at 10:15 am |
  14. Nick

Total sociopaths. Lock them away for decades.

June 5, 2013 at 12:39 am |
  15. Patricia

I just hope they can put those 2 girls away for life.Is it a law that says they can be released after they reach the age of 21? God I hope for the sake of the parents of Skylar that those 2 never see daylight again. I wonder if there was someone else that helped with the killing? God bless the parents and family.

June 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
  16. Al-NY,NY

ever see the show "Deadly Women?" These two will be on a future episode and hopefully they get the max penalty

June 4, 2013 at 9:53 am |
  17. Jennifer

The real reason is envy. Skylar posed a threat especially to the one who marsterminded it. This will come out, I can assure you. Death penalty is not the answer, but life without parole in solitude is. May the parents of this girl find healing.

June 4, 2013 at 9:35 am |
  18. Greg

I don't want to start a war, but developmentally these teens killed her because they did not know how to end the friendship.
    Will anyone in this country take responsibility for their actions and not use some lame psychological or medical jargon to take blame away from perpetrators. We live in a blameless society where everyone feels they can do whatever they want and nothing will happen to them and in some cases they are right.

June 3, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
  19. Danny Neely

Its simple, charged as adults and NO plea bargains! Very sorry for your loss!

June 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
  20. Shaun

This sounds like a terrible case. I can understand the father's pain, but his words make it clear why, in cases like this, those directly affected should never be involved in determining the punishment.

I can believe that these girls killed Skylar because they no longer wanted to be friends. Childrens' moral faculties take some time to develop and it is possible that these children were just poorly developed in that sense. But it is also possible that they are clinical sociopaths. Obviously, this needs to be carefully investigated.

Oh, and the idea of putting children to death is just sick. The death penalty itself is sickening, but to apply it to children is beyond the pale.

June 1, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
    • Ashley

My 13 year old is special needs and knows murder is wrong. These girls knew what they were doing. If your morals are so skewed that murder is okay at 16 then you need to be locked away or worse. You are a danger to society.

June 4, 2013 at 10:47 am |
    • Cheryl

Sixteen is plenty old enough to know that murder is wrong. People always try to justify killing by youths by blaming it on their immature cognitive or moral development but seriously if these girls are this way at sixteen do you honestly think they are going to get better? That magically at 21 they will know right from wrong if they didn't know it at sixteen? And do you feel safe with your precious child out there in the world knowing that people like this could be out there walking the same streets as your child simply because you and people like you decided that just because they are a few years older now that maturity suddenly waved a magic wand at them and cured them? These girls should never see sunlight again, because they are a danger to society and they always will be. I've got no problem with putting them to death either. They are not INNOCENT children. They are MURDEROUS children. Big difference there buddy. And BTW, Jeffrey Dahmer started out killiing animals as a child. Look what he turned into. People like this don't get better. They just don't. Period.

June 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
    • Shay

Shaun, perhaps you will have a different opinion if some teenager took the life of someone you loved in a brutal way. Stop having more empathy for these sick people rather than their victims. This sort of thinking is what gets these people back on the streets to do it again. They deserve nothing better than what they did to their victim.

June 13, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  21. Hellen Wheels

I cannot blame these parents for how they feel. These psychopaths should get the death penalty.

June 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  22. Eva

My thoughts and prays go out to the parents of this young lady who barely had a chance to start living and growing into the woman she had the potential to be. May you find peace in your heart. And I do agree with Craig H, there is more to this story that is not being told. You don't murder your best friend just because you don't want to be friends anymore. And I also agree that they should get the max for punishment. They did the crime and there is not a doubt about it so they should pay for the crime!

June 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  23. melanie johnson

I just want to know,,, how do you kill someone, then proceed to go to a church camp. those girls are sick,, they deserve whatever punishment they get, i hope they spend the rest of the their lives in prison

June 1, 2013 at 11:06 am |
    • ms K

One of the girls is still officially a child. I cannot see what revenge will do to bring back the dead. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

June 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm |
      • blaine101

All right Ms K then what would you suggest as punishment for these "children?" And do you distinguish between revenge and consequences, or do you think there should just be no consequence at all?

June 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm |
  24. Kelly

These two need to be punished. Life in prison without parole is the most they will get. There is no death penalty in West Virginia. Abolished in 1965. Unfortunately, these two deserve it. Whether you believe in the Dp or not, many victims families do. Unless you have had a loved one murdered, you do not know and it is nothing more than a philosophical discussion to you. This is Murder 1 and they should be given the maximum sentence available. West Virginia juries have common sense and are strongly conservative. Not like Florida!! Hope the family of the victim gets justice.

June 1, 2013 at 7:52 am |
  25. Jamie

Both of them are murderers. If you are adult enough to take someones life, then you're adult enough to stand trial and be charged as an adult. They deserve nothing less than life in prison, and the death penalty would be better. There is no reason that they should get to live their lives after having needlessly taken someone elses, no matter what the reasoning behind it is.
    My heart goes out to the affected family, I can only hope and pray for them that in time their wounds may be healed. I know things will never be the same but I wish you the best.

June 1, 2013 at 5:02 am |
  26. Donna

This is a horrific story to read--and the reason–makes me sick. This has to stop-the killing of innocent victims–and the MURDERERS--no matter what their ages–need to be held accountable-they took an innocent life. There should be no more slap on the wrists for these 2 murderers. The sweetness in Skylar's face makes this even more sad-she was a good student, and would have contributed so much to the world–she had ambitions. These 2 girls need to pay a high price for taking Skylar's life. My prayers are with her family.

June 1, 2013 at 12:47 am |
  27. Craig H

Come on, didn't want to be friends anymore so they killed her? There is more to it than that people, there always is. The parents pain and grief at their loss, and their need for justice and retribution is understandable. But I fail to see how ending the lives of two more young girls is an appropriate punishment. Ever.

May 31, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • Nancy

Maybe if had been your daughter, you might have a different response. If it had been one of my daughters, I might feel the same way. And what do you consider appropriate? People who are sociopaths need to be behind bars forever or taken out of this world..

May 31, 2013 at 10:15 pm |
    • Becky L

I don't buy the reason.. there's got to be more to this.

May 31, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
    • Anniemee

I don't think you understand what these girls did. We see murder so often on tv, in movies and video games that we don't know what it means anymore. Which is possibly why there's so much of it.

The horror of what these girls did requires REAL punishment. They won't get the death penalty, they are too young for that. But they do deserve to spend the rest of their days in prison because this was unbelievably cold blooded.

June 1, 2013 at 6:06 am |
    • Sheri M

Agree. There is more to this, and it will come out. Also, they will rot in their own hell on earth. Whatever the rest of their living breaths may allow them to experience, no external punishment can match the twisted agony they will find inside their own minds.

June 2, 2013 at 6:54 pm |
    • Jay

I don't condone the death penalty but I would have no problem with these two monsters being locked away till they die of old age. I really don't think you can rehabilitate someone as cold blooded as these two seem to be and we would never be sure that they were not a threat. We have enough troubles in the world without letting creatures like these run amok. Life without parole would be my preference. I would be surprised if they get that severe a sentence of course but one can hope.

June 3, 2013 at 4:11 am |
    • Craig H

Just look at how many people are commenting that these children deserve the death penalty. No wonder they think life is cheap. If you grow up hearing that people deserve to die for their crimes, maybe these girls thought the same thing? I don't know. To 'Nancy'- If it had been my daughter I don't know how I'd respond, I hope none of us ever has to go through what these poor parents are going through with their loss. If a life in prison is to be the punishment for these perpetrators, so be it. But people are outraged by the death of one young girl – yet they call for the deaths of two more young girls to satisfy this outrage? I apologise for not understanding....

June 3, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
    • Rich

Death penalty or life in prison. These two girls have no place in our society, period.

June 25, 2013 at 9:48 am |
  28. Carmen

I cannot believe these killers, how can they murder a girl just because they didn't want to be friends with her anymore, what kind of sick, and twisted monsters these two are!!! I hope they get the maximum!!!

May 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  29. colleen

So so so sorry for the parents. I am a bereaved mom. There is no worse pain. Your daughter Skylar is beautiful, I am so sorry she is gone, she deserved to live her life. The girls "murdered" her because they didn't want to be friends with her anymore??? Didn't they ever think to just tell her that??? Just sick thinking on their part.

May 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm |
  30. Shawn Parkhurst

I strongly believe in cases like this, these two girls should be given the death penalty! When are we going to send a message.

May 31, 2013 at 3:16 pm |
    • Chico R

Absolutely! Either that, or bring back hard-labour camps and life sentences (rest of their lives, not just 20 years). Make them work so hard that they end up dying from exhaustion and/or injuries...

June 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm |
    • Ryan

The problem is what kind of message that would send. Does killing these girls really send the message that killing is wrong?

June 2, 2013 at 11:12 am |
      • john

It's simple Ryan, if they are dead they can't harm anyone else, ta da!

June 16, 2013 at 12:07 am |
      • steve

It also shows that murder is so wrong that it'll cost you your life. There is no need to send any 'message' about murder. People know it's wrong. They don't murder because they didn't know it was wrong. They do it because they think they'll get away with it or in the worst case go to prison for a while then get out and resume their life. If it was known 100% that if you murder someone you will be executed, you'd be amazed how few murders there would be. Even in the case of these sociopaths, without any sympathy for others, self preservation is all that matters.

June 26, 2013 at 7:57 am |