AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
April 2nd, 2013

AC360 Exclusive: Conrad Murray's jailhouse interview

In his first interview since he was jailed, the doctor sentenced to four years in prison for causing Michael Jackson's 2009 death told his version of events to Anderson Cooper.

Dr. Conrad Murray is in the process of appealing his conviction, arguing it was Jackson who was responsible for his own overdose, and that there was an obstruction of justice during the trial. Tonight he claimed he was actually trying to steer Jackson away from propofol and had "good" intentions.

"I maintain that innocence. I must tell you, I am extremely sorry that Michael has passed on. It's a tremendous loss for me," Murray told Anderson. "He was an absolutely great friend. To be honest, I became a sounding board for Michael. He offloaded and regurgitated everything that was bad in his past and everything that was dark."

Anderson questioned Murray about whether he feels guilty for the pop star's death, why he was treating Jackson at home with a surgical anesthetic, what he wants to do with his life if his conviction is overturned, and why he stepped away from the singer's bedside after giving him a propofol injection.

In a cryptic message to Jackson's loyal followers, Murray said, "I wish that one day I get a chance to tell all Michael's fans, people who really, really love him, what happened to Michael ... If they do find out, their heart would cringe and they would be in blatant pain."

Beyond the surprising answers, tonight was the first time someone broke out into song during an interview with Anderson. Murray said both he and Jackson had experienced pain in their lives before singing this tune:

"He is a little boy that Santa Claus forgot and goodness knows he did not want a lot. He wrote a note to Santa for some crayons and a toy. It broke his little heart when he found Santa hadn't come. In the streets he envied all the lucky boys, but goodness knows he didn't want a lot. I'm so sorry for that laddie who hasn't got a daddy, he's a little boy that Santa Claus forgot."

Watch part II of their conversation:

1. Jana Kelley

I think Conrad Murray really was trying to help Michael but I feel he is lying. What does he mean he was all packed up & ready to leave? Wasn't hr supposed to stay with him until he woke up? This just dosen't make sense! He's lying about to much!!! I don't think he did anything on purpose tho.

April 23, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  2. Susan

He is just trying to get away with a crime! He was not singing when they arrest him, he was hiding evidence!

April 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  3. Diane Hanson

I do not blame Dr. Murray for Michael Jackson's death. With or without this Dr.'s help Jackson would have gotten access to that drug himself. He was a sick man searching for love and was not satisfied with his life without the use of drugs.

April 5, 2013 at 11:18 am |
    • Jana Kelley

Searching for Love? No, I think he was searching for sleep, so he could function & try & do his concerts in London!!! I don't know how anyone could think he could of done 50 concerts even spaced out like they were! He was a 50 yr old man!!! There is just something fishy about the whole thing!!! I doubt we'll ever kow the truth. So. So Sad!!!

April 23, 2013 at 10:59 am |
  4. Natacha

How can Michael Jackson's personal doctor want to kill him. He was worth more Money alive for him!

April 3, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  5. Woody

I can't believe the gossipy coverage of the Michael Jackson issue! CNN , you have become a gossip magazine! Nothing more than a rag magazine. I used to turn to you for news but NOT this poor quality... Shame on you!

April 3, 2013 at 11:28 am |
  6. Elizabeth

Anderson's face is priceless!! I think Murray has lost it totally!!

April 3, 2013 at 11:21 am |
    • Jame

yes, Anderson was probably thinking this is weird and the doctor's "not orthodox" practices were weird.

from the beginggning this case is just weird and rediculous...

Dr Murray is guilty of not putting MJ in a hospital setting to give him fake sleep.....

April 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
  7. Jen Garverick

Maybe i heard this wrong but didnt the Dr say he didnt give him the drug for 3 days before his death and then he said he gave it to him the day of his death.......thoughts...

April 3, 2013 at 10:44 am |
  8. Susie

I still can't believe what I was hearing, this man is clearly off his rocker, at first I thought it was some kind of joke that Mr Cooper was pulling, but, it was really a joke by his attorney, why in the world would his attorney let him speak, not to mention SING that, well, odd song? wouldn't want her on my side !! Mr Cooper.....you really nailed this interview, you gave him just enough rope to, well, you know !!

April 3, 2013 at 5:41 am |
  9. Chantal Seguin

well Anderson it was worth a million dollars just to see your face when Murray started signing :) I`m sure you wanted to laugh as much as i did .... take care ...oh! and by the way, why was that lawyer there for? she barely said a word

April 3, 2013 at 3:55 am |