AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
February 6th, 2013

Doctor: Christie has a problem with weight

Former White House physician Dr. Mariano says her concern about New Jersey Gov. Christie's weight is not about politics. Anderson Cooper asked Mariano about Christie's response to her original statement. He told her, in part, to "shut up" about his health unless she wants to examine him and review his medical history.

Post by:
Filed under: Medical News
  1. sandy

I think this is bothering the public more than it is him,, I believe he can handle anything dealt to him..

February 9, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  2. Vera Portik-Dobos

I think in between the doctors and patient need to be exist the confidentiality, everybody know what is HIPAA ( protected health information ). May she not even his physician, may Gov. Christie already working with on his health problem.
    I just do not understand why this an object of public debate. We still can work on many important health issues in US. America is overdosed with medications, over weighted, diabetic, overdosed with anabolic hormones, and leading in heart attack and stroke, still a big problem of drug , specially in the level of teenagers in school. Everybody know the of this health insult, kind of stress that can cause to Governor and his family. I think this doctor just privately can call him and had a talk with him, and give him suggestion concerning about his health.

February 9, 2013 at 9:12 am |
  3. Kat

This Doctor should not have made such a prediction. I was in a similar predicament several months ago when my cardio doctor stated that I was "Too Fat." He did not know that I was on a high blood pressure medication that put on 100 pounds on over a five year period, not to mention that it was toxic for my body. Since that time I have stopped the medication (HBP) and have lost over half of the pounds. Point being is that unless a physician knows a person's health and have done test to substantiate those facts, it is not her position to make any assumptions, or predictions about Gov. Christie's health.

February 9, 2013 at 1:49 am |
  4. Nancy

I understand her concern as she is a physician (and I am an RN), but does she really think he doesn't know he's overweight and has health risks? Gov. Christie strikes me an a very intelligent, if not outspoken man, so I highly doubt he is not aware of his risks. Dr. Mariano is not his physician, so I feel it really is not her place to comment on his health.

February 8, 2013 at 12:13 pm |
  5. Marilyn

I had a wonderful Chiropractor tell me in the late 70s that a crease across the lower ear lob is a huge sign of heart problems. I myself have seen a relationship many times since then in friends and relatives. There is much on the internet about this also relating the crease with problems.. Check out what looks to be deep creases already on Christie's lower ear lobes.. Looks to me like the Doctors prediction may be life saving and caring words to him! He needs to listen instead of being insulted.

February 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
    • Jan

My husband had the creases in his ear lobes. He died at age 57 of a heart attack. My sister had warned me of this but I didn't listen.

February 9, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  6. Helen Smith

Leave Gov. Christie alone about his weight; he knows that he's overweight. If one doesn't want to vote for him, then don't. The dr. said that she would've talked to any of her patients like that, but Gov. Christie is not her patient. I know of a lot of thin people who have had heart problems; Dave Letterman, I believe, had a heart by-pass operation. In this country we want everyone to be alike, can't we have anything that is personal and individual? If he doesn't want to be thin, then it is his issue and his business. Like I said you can't always determine someone's health by their size.

February 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm |
  7. Marlene

I certainly agree with the doctor..my husband had the same problem, ended with Diabetes, hbp, high cholesterol and everything else that Diabetes brings with the disease..I lost him in 1997..He went compoletely blind and I wish to this day that he had listened to me & others about taking care of himself..

February 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm |