December 20th, 2012

Scams use Sandy Hook victim's names

Drew Griffin tracks down a woman allegedly behind a fraudulent e-mail set up to collect donations for a Newtown victim.

Read more...

1. Dan Hicks

Anyone perpetrating this type of activity is nearly as bad as the shooter who took the lives. I'd have a serious problem trying to keep myself from perpetrating a little physical injury to these low-life, worthless leaches. It's sickening that people would stoop so low. There's no excuse whatsoever.

December 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  2. Marian Bostwick

It just kills me that whenever I see the proof from hidden cameras etc., whether it be the used car industry to any other theft and/or fraud I have never one time seen the perp say "Yes, it was me and I am going to make it right. They ALWAYS shove the seekers of the truth and the cameramen away screaming about their own rights!!! One of the bif news shows had hidden cameras in the hoods of used cars that were in "the repair shop" it shows the car dealers looking in at the defunct carb or whatever, shutting the hood, the another customer with a hidden camera in the sales office while the salesman tell how they are Christians and would never send a Mom away with a dangerous car. In the face of the absolute proof, they fail.

December 23, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  3. Jim Phillips

THe red cross scammed the 911 donators out of millions and the feds sued to get the money. They still kept millions and no one went to jail. There are hundreds of companies that do nothing but solicit donations from people and keep a large portion of the donations as a fee. Charities exist for every type and kind of need. They prey on the public to give, citing the poor the sick , starving children, underprivelidged children and any ploy they can to get your donations. Here we have a lady that is doing what thousands of others do all the time and she must be persecuted. I can't condone the act but lets place it in perspective. If there is a need there is someone that exploits that need for personal gain. How is this lady any different than the guy holding a sign at the corner begging help for a hungry viet nam veteran. Exposing her is the right thing to do but why stop there? How about exposing the million dollar companies that do the same thing!!!

December 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Justina

I am one of the people who outed this lady. She is sick! To think she would blame anyone but herself for doing this is beyond me! Plus she is also collecting donations (monetary and actual items) for NYC Hurricane Relief and I also heard she was collecting for autism also. I hope the FBI takes down all her fake sites and no one else gets scammed.

December 20, 2012 at 1:13 am |
  5. R M Austin

I agree with you Noeasyday. Those web sites should be shut down, the money collected, the people taken to jail, charged for the scam, tried in court, then jailed for a long time. The money that was collected from all of these sites should then be divided among the families. This a crime and all these people wanted is to line their pockets with easy money that they didn't have to work for. I sure hope the government can do something about this. May they all Rest In Peace.

December 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Liz

There are sick people out there just looking to scam some one on anothers tragedy – I hope they get these evil devils and throw the book at them, and exploit them on all the networks, put them in jail and throw away the key – what goes around comes around, the man upstairs is watching you -

December 23, 2012 at 6:56 am |