AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
December 18th, 2012

Amazing Grace: A tribute to the victims

Anderson Cooper honors those who lost their lives in the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting.

We remember Charlotte Bacon, 6, Daniel Barden, 7, Olivia Engel, 6, Josephine Gay, 7, Ana Marquez-Greene, 6, Dylan Hockley, 6, Madeline Hsu, 6, Catherine Hubbard, 6, Chase Kowalski, 7, Jesse Lewis, 6, James Mattioli, 6, Grace McDonnell, 7, Emilie Parker, 6, Jack Pinto, 6, Noah Pozner, 6, Caroline Previdi, 6, Jessica Rekos, 6, Avielle Richman, 6, Benjamin Wheeler, 6, Allison Wyatt, 6, Rachel Davino, 29, Dawn Hochsprung, 47, Anne Marie Murphy, 52, Lauren Rousseau, 30, Mary Sherlach, 56, Victoria Soto, 27

1. Carla Dolce

Anderson, The world lost a creative, beautiful spirit when Gracce died. Is it possible fort her family or the community to print some of her paintings? Her paintings on our walls would honor Grace's memory; beauty would be shared and the proceeds would help Grace's family and the Newtown community. We pray for each family and for the community of Newtown. We pray that America will become of nation of non-violence, a society with fewer, less lethal guns.

December 23, 2012 at 7:08 am |
  2. Kira Wylok

Mr. Cooper,
    I have watched you more than any other news reporter thru this tragedy because you actually care about these families. Thank you, you have put the "gentleman" back into reporting, not just sticking a microphone into grieving families faces to get the story. Responsible reporting should be around the world, but unfortunately it is not. They should take your lead on this.

December 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  3. Joyce Bjork

Beautiful. Please tell us who sings "Amazing Grace."

December 22, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  4. Tari Marsh

Thank you Anderson for all your beautiful kind words of comfort and love for all the victims, families and people of Newtown. I live on the west coast of Canada and just know that my province and country mourns for your losses. Our heartfelt sympathies to all the families and friends of these 20 beautiful angels and 6 amazing hero's. We Will Always Remember You and Never Forget You. I have shed a lot of tears and I feel such empathy for all of you. I send you all my love and prayers during this sad hurtful time but just know you all have a safe place in my heart ♥

December 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Anita Avery

My Christmas won't be Christmas because of your lost. How can I celebrate when you have lost so much? My heart hurts and no amount of lights or trees, filled with gifts can stop or change what happened to you and your families. I am still crying with you and praying for you and when the media and mail stops. I will remember you and yours. The purest love that man kind can experience is that of a child and that love doesn't have to die. Their bodies have left us but their love will live on in you for them.and has found my heart and I will share it with others here in NC and with you. I wish I could explain this but I can't. I hope peace will find you in time whatever that time be for you, love will wait. Keep looking to the hills from which comes your help and I promise your help will come. Thank you for birthing these little gifts of love in this evil world they served a good purpose in this world. Love is flowing for now and I hope it flows after the lights go off and the trees come down. God Bless You All Newtown Families. A friend Anita Avery

December 21, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  6. Eleanor Woods

My heart goes for the families, no words can express..My prayers go out to the families, I pray that some day they will find comfort. Thank You Anderson Cooper for posting.

December 21, 2012 at 9:40 am |
  7. James Arcuragi

My heart goes out to the families of these beautiful young faces and their families and to the friends an families of the brave and dedicated teachers. No words can express the hurt that I feel over this senseless act. Their lives should never be forgotten. May God wrap his arms around them and and keep them. It is a blessing to know that community of Newtown will forever hold these loved ones in their hearts and be there to comfort the families. What a fitting rendition of a beautiful song for such special people.

December 20, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  8. Jason L.

Heart wrenching to watch and say the final goodbyes to these innocent souls. I am in no way connected to any of the people who are suffering through this tragic time, but I cry for the victims just the same. This whole thing is so unfair…I am crushed by watching these babies and can only imagine what they experienced that day. No parent should ever have to bury their child – ever. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who lost their lives, the children and faculty who lived through this tragedy and all those who lost loved ones that day. There is definitely a special place in heaven for those lost, and they will be waiting for you at the pearly gates when it is your time. God bless you – take care of yourselves and each other through this time of grieving.

December 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  9. Sandi

I have to say this has touched my heart and every time I hear Amazing Grace... I will see each of those children's faces.... Anderson Cooper....Great Job

December 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  10. mike martin

who was the singer of Amazing Grace?

December 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
  11. Tracy Ferguson

Anderson, thank you for sharing your visit with the McDonnell family. Wouldn't it be an "Amazing" tribute to share Grace's precious art with the world! Prints and note cards featuring her art could be enjoyed and cherished by folks around the globe. Through the work of Amazing Grace, the global community could connect with the Newtown community in a concrete way. And, perhaps some of the money raised could be used to help make Gun Control a reality!

December 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
  12. Dawn White

My heart breaks for all these families and the community. No Words can express how terrible my family feels about this. All these children were beautiful and are now Little Angels. These children and adults WILL NEVER be forgotten.

December 19, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  13. Robyn

Our Nation is sickened by what this Maniac has done.I was wondering, why doesn't anyone mention Nancy Lanza's name? She was also a Victim.I would also like to say my heart goes out to the Families,First Responder's, Community,and those Beautiful Angels that are now looking down upon Sandy Hook.Thank You CNN for the wonderful coverage that has been provided.

December 19, 2012 at 9:36 am |
  14. Eva Canitano

Beautiful...who sings that version of Amazing Grace?

December 19, 2012 at 6:34 am |
  15. Marcy Marks

Hi Anderson,
    I am a teacher in Houston Texas. I just want to let you know how much meaning you have put to the disaster in Conn. You have made a story feel so human. These children you have personalized are not just faces they are kids with different likes needs and personalities. Your heart has spoken for each child. It has made a difference in so many families. I hope all of CNN will appreciate your humanizing each child as well as all of your staff has. Thank you. Yoiu have made a difference in my life and career. Marcy

December 19, 2012 at 5:06 am |
  16. Jaya

Listening to McDonnell's Talking about her beautiful daughter Grace, who all she wanted is peace and peace is what they feel after saying final good bye to there daughter is reaffirming. My only connection to them is that I to am a parent. And the strenght they showed today talking to Anderson Cooper is amazing. They will always be in my thoughts. Grace too was lucky to have them as Parents. I am sure wherever Grace is, she is looking at them and blowing kisses at Lynn and spreading love and peace.

December 18, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
  17. g j childers

I wish this would come up. :-) Can't get it....

December 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
  18. JoEllen

Thank you for this. I have 6 years experience teaching at the Kindergarten and First grade levels, and can't imagine dealing with losing any of those babies – the oldest who are now in their early 30s and the youngest about 20.

December 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  19. Rebecca Bond

Anderson,
    I have cried so hard with you, I have been outraged with you. I have taken comfort in knowing you won't let these beautiful little people be forgotten.

December 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  20. Kira Wylok

I agree with justareader...Anderson, take her photo out of the dedications. She knew her son had issues and a lot of them, so her thought was well I like guns and shooting so I'm going to teach him how to...No ice skating, sports, music etc. No he is disturbed so I'm going to teach him how to shoot...She is equally responsible for this tragedy...

December 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm |