AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
December 16th, 2012

Sunday on AC360: Remembering the Sandy Hook victims

Tonight at 10 p.m. ET, watch Anderson Cooper's special report on CNN.

1. julie

What I don't understand is why don't we look at the games that these kids play. I have sat back and watched other kids playing war games that can get those kinda guns. I feel that if we were to check all those games out that maybe we could help some of the problems. angel

December 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  2. Donna Gray

We are in the Butler Area School district in Butler, Pa. Those school guards who will carry guns are all retired State Troopers and I am sure they know how to conduct themselves in any situation.

December 17, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  3. patricia

So the Lanza's can't explain the shooting? Where were they when their son was reeling wtih anger rage and when he was alone without friends& suicidal ??? I hope Mr Lanza takes some time to see how his other son is doing ..before he turns A gun on him...Just PLEASE RYAN DON'T TAKE INNOCENT FIRST GRADERS LIVES WITH YOU!

December 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  4. Jan Fiakas

20 Little Children

20 little children gone off to school
    20 little children to learn the golden rule

At 9:36 they hear the sound of gunfire and broken glass
    Brave teachers saved their classmates from bullets whizzing past

But 5 little children now lay in pools of their own precious blood
    The blood of 15 more soon comes running like a hideous flood

20 minutes later quiet comes by death’s slow clock
    20 little children slaughtered by an automatic Glock

20 little children now lay dead were they fell
    20 little broken bodies surrounded by empty shells
    20 little angels blown away by the Devil’s trained hand
    20 little lives now added to the growing death toll across this free land

32 people die of gunfire every day in the U.S.
    10,000 people a year much more than the rest

The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to bear arms
    The Government is also suppose to keep us from harm

Let’s get together people and figure this one out
    We don’t have to holler and there’s no need to shout

But those 20 little children had rights to …
    To be 20 little children gone off to school

Instead of being …

20 little children that lay dead were they fell
    20 little broken bodies surrounded by empty shells
    20 little angels blown away by the Devil’s trained hand
    20 little lives now added to the growing death toll across this free land

20 little children went up the water spout
    In came a spider and snuffed them all right out

20 little children

“In China today…”

22 little children gone off to school …

Jan Fiakas
    December 15, 2012

December 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Charles Leeuw

It's a small thing Anderson but then, truly, it's not. Thank you SO MUCH for calling the person who was responsible for these tragic acts of violence as "the killer" .......not, the "shooter". So many journalists have chosen "shooter" in previous mass murders. IMO, "shooter", removes the perpetrator a step from the act of murder, and in a way, almost adds some excitement to the horrific event that he or she promulgated. Thanks for correctly identifying the perpetrator as KILLER.,

December 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Sarah Marie

May God bless families and friends of all angels that left to go to Heaven on friday and may those beautiful angels light the world with love, peace and hope. God bless humanity.

Amen

December 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  7. Juanita Woodard

Good for you Anderson for continuing to keep the focus on the victims and not giving attention to the criminal. When the murderer is named repeatedly he becomes a sort of folk hero and I believe inspires more actions from other disturbed individuals. I became aware after Aurora that you had determined to take this path of reporting the story and I applaud you for it.

December 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  8. John

Anderson,

U.S. politicians, Republicans and Democrats alike, will send their bravest men and women to far away shores to fight and die for the freedom of others, yet the same politicians do not even have the courage to protect the lives of their children at home. They should all be ashamed of themselves and I hope you use your position to hold them to account.

December 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Jerry Cortez

As someone who is not against guns, but I am someone who thinks there is a need for control of guns. Here is my idea and explanation of the proposal;
    1. I am required to have a CA driver license to drive a car
    2. I have a endorsement on my CA driver license to ride a motorcycle
    3. I hold a private pilot certificate to fly a airplane
    Where I am going with this is why shouldn’t a person with a hand gun or rifle be required to do the same. Here is my idea
    1. Hunting rifle; requires a permit and training
    2. Hand gun; same permit with an additional endorsement and advance training (like adding a class B to a CA drivers license
    3. Advance weapons; permit, advance endorsement and even more training.
    As a pilot single engine land, I can fly almost anywhere in the US under VFR conditions, if I want to fly a twin engine airplane, seaplane or any advance aircraft, I need to get more training and get more ratings or certificates.
    Why can’t we do the same with guns? This is not taking guns away from anyone, just making sure the person with the gun has the proper training and permits for that gun.

December 16, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
  10. Michael Bennett

Dear Anderson,
    I just wrote the following message to Speaker Boehner thru his official website. I am sure he will never see it, but wanted to post it hear in hopes you do. I wish someone would start making the point that we all should be smart enough to know that it should be possible and in fact in the true spirit of our founding fathers to challenge aspects of the Constitution and Amendments. Our problem is that we no longer have the quality of people in Washington we had when this great country was founded.
    Mike Bennett

Dear Mr. Speaker,

I have already written to you once since the tragic shooting. My first one was more of a message trying to send a message to those in Washington (and quite frankly to a broader US audience) that everyone who continues to get stuck on issues relating to the Constitution and Amendments need to start thinking about whether all those in years gone by who wrote such amazing documents would actually say today that there can be no rethinking of certain aspect of a document over 200 years old. As I said, back then we were fighting for independence and there were not the horrible weapons of today. Do you really think that the likes of Jefferson and Franklin would say – well it's the constitution – we cannot touch it? In fact, were they actually not saying the opposite by writing the Constitution in the first place?

I write again tonight since the event in CT just finished. My parents (elderly who live with me) watched the entire event. When it was over, my father said "well, I think something will start getting done now in Washington". Unfortunately, I had to say – really? I don't think so. The gun lobbyists will be in full swing and the Republicans (and many Southern Democrats) will fall in line.

Too bad this is what a large segment of the US population think of you all in Washington. It was not that long ago when it was different.

Michael Bennett

December 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  11. Al

As a Canadian , It seems to me that many Americans protect their 2nd amendment much more then they wish to protect their children and families. I'm afraid that the NRA and pro-gun lobbyist have won the media and marketing campaign. Unless Americans wake up and realize that the 2nd amendment was written in 1791 and that it no longer applies in modern society .. you may need to order more body bags!!!

December 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  12. Miriam Martinez

What if there were a National Association for Gun Control? I think the membership would rapidly swell. Could it serve as a counter balance to the National Rifle Association?

December 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
  13. Michelle Gluck

We are sending our thoughts, prayers, and love to all the families and people of Newtown, CN.

December 16, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  14. Lin Armstrong Sharwood

I am a Canadian watching this Sandy Hooks tragedy that CNN is covering. I can not believe that a Grandfather of a young girl who's teacher was slain, cannot get into the Prayer Vigil for those victims of this tragedy. Who is most important? You would think that those directly affected would not be turned away from attending the vigil with the will never President. For Shame. Again the powerful and important are condescended to and a young girl who will never have innocence again and is traumatized is turned away and discounted, again, what does that say about your society? My prayers and heart goes out to everyone who is suffering Please get rid of guns that provide 100 rounds of ammunition in seconds what good are they except money for those who make them??

December 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  15. Shelley

Anderson, you asked what positive message we could take from this horror? Watch the Robbie Parker interview over and
    over again! This young man and his family have touched my soul (life changing seriously) Even through there own personal loss, they expressed sympathy for the the other families who lost there kids and to the shooters family! If AMERICA would all take a look and listen to Mr. Parker's message, we wouldn't have any problems in AMERICA! Everyone loving everyone. He stated everything I always feel when something like this happens – gosh how sad that KIDS are hating/hurting so much, that this is the way they take action. We have some real sick kids in America – like how can you look a child in the face and shoot/kill them???... Mr. Parker and his family have changed my own personal thoughts about mankind – it was so uplifting to hear his message through all this horror – GET HIS MESSAGE OUT THERE!!! AMERICA TAKE NOTE – IF WE WERE ALL LIKE MR. PARKER, WE WOULDN'T HAVE THESE PROBLEMS IN AMERICA...

December 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
  16. Karen Heslop

My prayers go out to all the familys try to stay strong hold on to each other. What I don't understand is why americans feel the need to carry guns in Canada we have a law that states guns are illegale you don't hear every other week where we have mass shootings when are you people going to wake up or is this your way of population control. Please MR Obama guns are only needed for hunting game not people.

December 16, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
  17. Sandra

Ok. A little girl who ran past the gunman cannot get into see the President in the high school? Why isn't someone taking care of this? Please. Someone get that little dollbaby in to see President Obama. Please.

December 16, 2012 at 6:50 pm |