December 15th, 2012

Trauma for school massacre survivors

Dr. Sanjay Gupta explains how the kids who survived the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting could experience PTSD.

1. Flo Weinbeg

I have been following the tragic events on TV and on the internet. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones and were present during the carnage. While I was watching the TV I saw a man who brought "comfort dogs" from out of state who were recently comforting families in NY and NY after Sandy's aftermath. I would like to know more about the comfort dogs; where they are from -the organization and how to get in touch with them. I noticed how they brought comfort and smiles to the children. I would like to make a donation to this organization but don't know who they are. Can you help

December 16, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
  2. Joan Murtaugh

Thanks you for you coverage of this story. People say they want answers, but the want the preconceived answers that they have already decided on – their pet causes. The death of children should force people to think outside the box. All I am hearing is better gun control and mental health resources. I do not believe this is the answer. What if a maniac used a knife or any other implement. Those with evil intentions will get ahold of something. And, mental health? Killers are great at concealing their true intentions. The human will and the mind are two different entities. Once a criminal has gone over to the dark side, what words have any effect? There is one overriding thought in all this: nothing happens unless the Lord ordains it. It is not the will of the Father that one of these little ones be lost. Why would this occur, then? Why did God not prevent this? It must be for some greater good. And, the horror that occurred (the loss of 27 innocent victims, mostly children) must be merciful in relation to the horror that the Lord is trying to correct. Think! Where are beautiful angels being killed on a daily basis – in the abortion mills of this country. Those children, too, have a savior. "Though your mother forsake you, I will not forsake you." Their blood cries out for vengeance. And, in my opinion, the rest of us will pay with our own blood for those who kill the unborn until we stand up and tell them that this is not acceptable.

December 16, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  3. Linda Boyle

On Friday, it occured to me that you are my most trusted news reporter. Thanks to you. Doesn't it bother you – A LOT – that there was so mcuh mis information over the Connectivut school shooting. It seems that the reporters were picking up rumors or comments – and reporting them as facts – and then constantly revising the story. I realize the stations want to be the "first".....but what about |ucovering the facts".....I was just appalled at the incorrect facts – the mother was a teacher – no she didn't seeme to have anuthjing to do with the school. The mother shot at gun ranges – no – no one knows of that or can find any gun range where she went with kids. The kid had an altercation with the school a few days ago – no – there is no evidence of that. The kid tried to buy a gun this week – no – the police cannot find that as fact. GOOD LORD!!!! Why can't the reporters get it right – instead of just being the first with some crazy rumor!
    Professional news people should be humiliated at reporting incorrect and unchecked facts.
    Thanks for letting me sound off!
    Linda Boyle, Omaha, NE

Linda Boyle, Omaha, NE

December 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
  4. Tim

My prayers for the Family of the victim of this terrible tragedy. I have to say, We are missing the point here. Guns don't kill people. Its the person pressing the trigger that does. Our nation has removed God from our schools and Government and every time a tragedy occurs,we ask the question Where is God ? We never saw this in the past when God was in the Schools and Government.I will leave you with this scripture from 2 Chronicles 7:14 New International Version (©1984)
    if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. God Bless America.

December 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  5. D. Webster

This may sound off the wall, but your 2nd amendment gives the American people the right to bear arms. It does not provide for the ammunition that goes with it. Ban and control the distribution of the ammunition and a whole lot of your problems MAY go away.

DBW (Canada)

December 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  6. Joanne

Hi Anderson, one angle that I don't see ANYONE TALKING ABOUT are Video Games!!! yes!! video games!... I know of many parents who allow their children to play games such as "Assassin's Creed", or "Gods of War" at a very young age of 9 or 10 years old.. (these games are rated 18+ mature)... They are desensitized by the time they are adults!...
    When I hear that the shooter went into the school with army fatigues and can't help but say that this child was reenacting scenes from those types of video games! When will someone talk about this!??

As a mother of two young boys I do not allow my children to play such types of games but cannot control those parents who seem to find it "harmless" and allow young boys to play them!

Please open the discussion on this PLEASE!!!

Joanne

December 15, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  7. Alice Okoloise

It's atrocious what took place on 12/14/12 at Sandy Hook Elementary. Some of these kids have Xmas gifts still sitting under the tree waiting to never be opened!!!! I must say that my heart goes out to all the families who lost their loved ones in this senseless act of violence. Personally, I do not think that the students of that school should be expected to return to those premises considering what happened there yesterday. That building needs to be demolished and/or memorialized in honor of those who lost their lives there... A new school needs to be built away from those ground in order to retain whatever sanity is left in those children's minds, after such a gruesome and memorable experience. The government can afford it, so let them do it!!!!!

December 15, 2012 at 5:03 am |