AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
November 16th, 2012

Tonight on AC360°: Lawmaker attacks the president on mixed messages after Benghazi attacks

On Thursday, Washington lawmakers were briefed and watched "real-time" video of the deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya.

Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of California, who is a member of the House Foreign Affairs committee, questioned how President Barack Obama and his administration handled the message, in the days shortly after the attack on September 11, 2012, to the American people about who was responsible.

Thursday Rep. Rohrabacher stated "What is clear is that this administration, including the president himself, has intentionally misinformed - read that, lied - to the American people in the aftermath of this tragedy."

Tonight Anderson asks him to provide evidence backing up his accusatory comments. Rep. Rohrabacher tells Anderson that “I worked in the White House. I know that's what happens. You have a situation room which is kept up to the second on information like this” He adds, “I know what the, what the procedures are, the president was notified right away as to what this was going on...”

Watch this preview and tune in for the full conversation at 8 and 10 p.m. ET.

Watch the full interview:

1. Kelly Jagger

Dana Rohrabacher's behavior indicates that there's more emotion than logic in his positions.
    I'm always impressed, Anderson, when you don't "take the bait."
    Dana Rohrabacher represents my district in CA.
    It's very troubling to me that he got so easily torched and kept repeating himself ("I worked in the White House"/3 x). After seeing him on AC360, I'm concerned about the quality and effectiveness of his representation of my district.

November 16, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  2. David Wyler

I love how you always hold them to the fire Anderson, but in this case I think this congressmen has some valid points. It kind of smells like a milder version of "weapons of mass destruction" by Bush, Powell, Chaney, Rumsfeld. I hate being lied to by politicians. I am still horribly bitter over the lies that led to Iraq; and this Benghazi stuff smells the same way!

November 16, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  3. Charlotte

Maybe I am caught in a time warp, but didn't we get involved in the Iraq war due to "faulty" information? How does this senator explain this? I am offended that this senator can call the President a liar, yet he was supportive of a war that has killed, maimed and wounded thousands of Americans that was based on faulty information.What a double standard.

November 16, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Eliz

I agree with you! Guess he doesn't know that we have lost thousands of men and women in Iraq .
      When a 4 star General can't beat something into his head–there is no hope

November 16, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Charlie D.

When we went to war in Iraq, to the best of my recollection, president Bush had been told that Iraq had WMD's by our CIA and by the intelligence agencies of several other countries. That intelligence apparently was incorrect, however, it was the prevailing opinion at the time. The concern that i have with Benghazi is that the real time intelligence seemed to be clear that it was a terrorist attack. Within 24 hours of the attack, it seemed clear, through emails, phone conversations, eye witness accounts and drone coverage that it was a terrorist attack. For some reason the administration chose to deny this truth and to disseminate a story that they knew was not true. A very old saying...two wrongs don't make a right. In my opinion this isn't about the Bush administration. It has nothing to do with President Bush. This is a story about a horrific event that happened and the administration's attempt to repeatedly mislead the public. Whether or not we have been mislead before does not and should not excuse or convict this president. What the Obama administration did should be judged on it's own merrits. The four men that were killed deserve, if possible, to have their story told. Everyone should know what they were fighting for and what they were fighting against. It is their story to tell not the story that others want us to hear.

November 16, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  4. Jay

Dana Rohrabacher has long been an embarrassment to California. Just look at his manner and tone. He is a fairly ignorant individual and presents himself like an Allan West type character. He is little more than an attention getter at a time when we need more than that.

November 16, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  5. M.C.Meyer

Let's guess that Rohrabacher is a tea party person who's interested in perpetuating conspiracy theory. Personally, I found him smug, rude and unable to listen to a question without interrupting. This is exactly what GOP extremists do.

November 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm |