AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
November 1st, 2012

Two sons ripped from mother in storm

CNN's Gary Tuchman reports on a mother whose two young boys were swept away by powerful floodwaters during Hurricane Sandy. She says she asked a man if they could escape the storm inside his house, but he said no. The man believed to live at the house she went to denies having seen the family.

Read more about the story

Post by:
Filed under: Hurricane Sandy • Weather
  1. Celeste

I feel horrible about this story but the Mayor said over an over GET OUT of the streets!!! before the storm hits what
    in the world she was doing out with those kids? for god sake! I saw a lot people saying they refuse to leave their houses
    others outside near the ocean watching the storm! This is unbelieveable

November 12, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
  2. Andrea

Amen Kandice and its so sad how they don't want to tell the TRUTH and just admit you didn't want to help because they were black! Okay!! I would rather you be honest and to those who are commenting stating why was she out like that are you SERIOUS? she was trying to get to safety as well as other people.

November 8, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  3. dee

i just want to say this as i feel it needs saying.....to the man who wouldn't let them in....by now you are probably feeilng pretty guilty about what you did .... and i am willing to bet..that if you had to do it all over again...you would let them in...hindsight is always 20/20....nevertheless you are probably wondering what can i do to make amends.....well i tell you...it wasn't a woman and 2 children knocking on your door...it was GOD...it was a test...you failed....want redemption? want forgiveness?....look up and sincerely say to the heavenly father...I'm Sorry...please forgive me...i want to make amends...i will go to the parents and apologize and ask for forgiveness....WHAT???!!! you say??? They will pummel the piss out of me!....You are probably right....let them do it...you wont die...GOD knows you are seeking forgiveness...have courage and faith...after all is said and done....no matter what happens....you will feel 200% better for trying to make amends...your conscience will be clear ..you will be a better man for it.

November 7, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  4. Gen

This man is a very sad example of how many in the human race are only out for themselves.....

November 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  5. Anya

It is possible that in his fear and excitement, he saw only a potential intruder and assumed it was a dangerous man, and that would be exacerbated if didn't hear her knocking at the front door initially. I think he should be examining and questioning his recollection. If he has any doubt, he should admit honestly that he could have been mistaken. That poor mother will never be the same and I have extreme empathy for her. The whole thing is terrifying and heartbreaking.

November 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • dee

anya...what dangerous intruder would be outside in a 90 mph hurricane trying to rob people...really.....and when he heard that voice...he knew it was a woman....i dont buy the statement that he heard a man outside calling for help.

November 7, 2012 at 10:28 am |
      • Andrea

I totally agree Dee. He is lying and he doesn't care that two angels lost their lives that faithful day!! WOW

November 8, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • Andrea

The point is I truly feel in my heart he just didn't want to help but God was watching and its sad because I am sure if the roles were reversed and he was begging for help they would have helped him. SMH!! Wake up people it isn't a black and white thing it's a RIGHT thing and COMPASSION. wow

November 8, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  6. Jessica Ferrero

I saw Gary Tuchman's report today about the man who refused to help the woman and her two young sons, or as he remembers it a man, tHe evening of the Storm. As I was listening to Gary speak to this man, I was horrified at the words coming out of his mouth. "they should not have been out"; "no I didn't help him". I thought isn't this criminal, isn't there some kind of punishment or charges that can be brought upon this man? How about involuntary manslaughter? Even seinfeld had the Good Samaritan Act. Don't we have anything like that? Maybe we should!

November 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
  7. Charlotte Sun

Please update us on developments about this story. Many of us would like to let the mother know that she and her boys are in our thoughts and prayers. No words to describe the man who refused to help the mother and her boys – only sheer disgust and shame that he had the audacity to say "she shouldn't have been driving" and that he would refuse to help a person in need. Hearts are breaking for the mother, her life is forever changed. Thanks Gary Tuchman and AC for bringing us this story. A teachable moment for all of us to remember to actively display our sense of of community and humanity. Many thanks again, Charlotte in Houston, Texas

November 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  8. Nadene Reid

You are wrong. Under the doctrine of necessity one has a qualified privilege to intentionally trespass on to another's land to prevent serious harm to him/herself, chattel, land or to aide another in peril.

November 3, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  9. jennylind

what was this mother doing out in the first place with those babies during the height of the storm?

November 3, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  10. Mike

There is a special place in hell for that guy that would not help that woman.

What has our society come to that one person refuses to help another during a major disaster?

Is it that hard to look past race in order to help a fellow human being?

I wouldn't wish something like this on my own worst enemy, but I hope that guy, whatever his name is, gets to know the pain Mrs. Moore is experiencing, I really do.

November 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • dee

mike,kandice.....my sentiments exactly....i wonder how that man would have felt if he were the one on the outside...do you think he would say to him self...i am not going to knock on any doors...after all..its my fault i am outside in this storm...i'll just sit and take this punishment that this storm has to give....dont worry...his turn is coming

November 7, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  11. Yasia

Isn't there a good as artisan law in NYC?

November 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  12. Larry

That wasn't the only house on the block. She could have tried the next house over and asked for help rather than trying to break in.

November 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
    • sarah3910

I was thinking the same thing at first, but if it took her hours to safely make it from the tree to the first house, I imagine the conditions weren't conducive for her to safely make it to the next house. She might have felt it was a safer bet to go to the back of the house where she knows someone is home rather than venture up to the next house... that's even if she could even see the next house considering what visibility might have been like at the time. Regardless though, it is not up to us to judge her decisions at the time... who knows how we would have reacted in the same situation.

November 12, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  13. Kandice

This story is so painful and so brutally honest. The man an all the neighbors who thought the mother was a looter and did not help have the blood of these little brothers on their hands. God was watching and he knows what happened and he also knows why the neighbors did not open their door for this mother and her two babies.

November 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm |