Editor's note: If you live in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, stay safe. Anderson Cooper will report on the impact of the storm on Monday at 8 and 10 p.m. ET.
Here are recommendations on what to do before a storm approaches:
- Download an application to your smartphone that can notify people where you are, and if you need help or are safe. The Red Cross has a Hurricane App available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. A First Aid app is also available.
- Use hurricane shutters or board up windows and doors with 5/8 inch plywood.
- Bring outside items in if they could be picked up by the wind.
- Clear gutters of debris.
- Reinforce the garage door.
- Turn the refrigerator to its coldest setting in case power goes off. Use a cooler to keep from opening the doors on the freezer or refrigerator.
- Fill a bathtub with water.
- Get full tank of gas in one car.
- Go over the evacuation plan with the family, and learn alternate routes to safety.
- Learn the location of the nearest shelter or nearest pet-friendly shelter.
Comments are closed.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with AC361°