Editor's note: If you live in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions, stay safe. Anderson Cooper will report on the impact of the storm on Monday at 8 and 10 p.m. ET.
Here are recommendations on what to do before a storm approaches:
– Download an application to your smartphone that can notify people where you are, and if you need help or are safe. The Red Cross has a Hurricane App available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store. A First Aid app is also available.
– Use hurricane shutters or board up windows and doors with 5/8 inch plywood.
– Bring outside items in if they could be picked up by the wind.
– Clear gutters of debris.
– Reinforce the garage door.
– Turn the refrigerator to its coldest setting in case power goes off. Use a cooler to keep from opening the doors on the freezer or refrigerator.
– Fill a bathtub with water.
– Get full tank of gas in one car.
– Go over the evacuation plan with the family, and learn alternate routes to safety.
– Learn the location of the nearest shelter or nearest pet-friendly shelter.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with