AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
October 19th, 2012

Joe Walsh's abortion claim incites anger

Illinois Republican Representative Joe Walsh stated his abortion views while battling for re-election which has outraged some.

During a debate with Democratic opponent Tammy Duckworth hosted by CNN affiliate WTTW Rep. Walsh stated, "I am pro-life without exception. Understand though that when we talk about exceptions we talk about rape, incest, health of a woman, life of a woman. Life of a woman is not an exception."

At a press conference after the debate, Walsh was asked to clarify his comments and seemed to suggest medical advances made dangerous pregnancies rare. Walsh stated, "There's no such exception as life of the mother, and as far as health of the mother, same thing, with advances in science and technology. Health of the mother has been, has become a tool for abortions any time under any reason."

California Rep. Jackie Speier spoke out on the House of Representatives floor in 2011 to talk about an abortion she needed to save her life.

Tonight on AC360 she responds with outrage over Illinois Rep. Joe Walsh's comments.

Post by:
Filed under: Abortion • Raw Politics • Rep. Jackie Speier • Rep. Joe Walsh
  1. N Saraceni

I'm a Republican and am outraged by these elected officials who, because they get elected, seem to give them carte blanche to "minister" to us. Get the religion out of our politics and do the job we elected you to do.

October 24, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  2. Rachael

Simply not true.

Simply NOT TRUE. Please stop lying to further a political agenda. God can hear you.

October 24, 2012 at 8:47 am |
    • Lindsay

Joe Walsh, if pregnancy is never a threat to the life of the mother, explain why the maternal mortality rate in the US is 21 deaths out of 100,000 live births in 2010 – 6 times the rate of Italy, 3 times the rate of Germany, and twice the rate of the UK.

Here's another fact that may be an eye-opener: Homicide is a leading cause of death of pregnant women. And pregnant women with unplanned pregnancies have 3-fold higher risk of physical abuse than pregnant women with planned pregnancies.

October 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
  3. Ross

Im with you Ted. I was thinking the same thing. Rock on Joe!!

October 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
  4. Edwin

This man should form a speaking tour with Todd Akin.

October 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm |
  5. Ted Theodore Logan

Whew! Thought this was about the legendary Joe Walsh of the James Gang and Eagles. This dude should include a middle initial in his name as there is only one true Joe Walsh.

October 22, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • doug

EXACTLY !! when i saw the headline, i thought it was Joe Walsh the musician as well.

but Joe the musician would never make such a ridiculous statement as this repub clown representative did here.

October 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • Okeefe

True that –I thought the exact same thing!

October 24, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  6. R. Williams

Has this Gene Yass never heard of an ectopic pregnancy???

October 20, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
    • sasha

ending an ectopic pregnancy is not considered an abortion.

October 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
      • Frank

You might check your dictionary for the definition of abortion. It includes miscarriage for any reason.

October 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • linda

Seriously. During an office visit a few years ago, my doc suspected I had an ectopic pregnancy and she had me rushed to the hospital immediately to get checked out more thoroughly. I wasn't in pain and since I wasn't expecting to spend the rest of the day at the hospital, I wanted to wait and go the next day when it would be more convenient for me. But my doctor insisted it would be too dangerous to wait even one day. Turns out it was an ectopic pregnancy, and they gave me general anesthesia and I had the abortion right in the hospital that day. Even in this industrialized nation its still very possible for women to die from pregnancy and birth complications.

October 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm |