The family of a woman who died from fungal meningitis is shocked that the pharmacy linked to the outbreak isn't regulated. Lilian Cary received a steroid injection in August that came from the New England Compounding Center. She passed away two weeks ago.
Her husband George is awaiting test results to see if he also has the illness. The couple went to the same pain treatment center in Michigan.
"This should not have happened. This is a tragedy that goes beyond our family," said her husband in regards to more than 100 sick with meningitis and the 12 who died.
Cary's daughter Heather Andrus is frustrated and disgusted by the conditions that resulted in her mother's death. "I think it's ridiculous that these companies in this day and age aren't mandated to have inspections, and that this completely preventable death and tragedy had to happen due to those oversights," said Andrus.
Such a sad story
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with AC361°