August 23rd, 2012

Anderson Cooper 'keeps DNC honest'

CNN's Anderson Cooper questions DNC Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz about various platform issues.

Read more...

1. Greg

Wow, Anderson. Great job of ignoring the facts to support your desire to cater to the Republican base the week of their convention.

The bottom line is this: Whatever Mitt Romney says about his position on abortion is rendered moot by the fact that he has done absolutely nothing to add his supposedly deeply-held conviction that abortion is an acceptable option in the case of rape or incest. His representatives were in attendance and involved in drafting and finalizing the RNC platform. They said and did absolutely nothing; no exceptions for life and health of the mother, rape or incest were added as mitigating factors. To absolve Mitt Romney of responsibility for this plank in the GOP platform while he is the party's de facto leader is absurd. I'll say it again: Romney's representatives were on the platform committee and were fully involved in producing it, which includes an anti-abortion position in all instances - NO exceptions. He owns it.

While campaigning against Newt Gingrich in the spring he told Mike Huckabee that he was in total agreement with Mississippi's draconian "personhood" amendment which would have outlawed any abortion and even some forms of birth control.

In 2007 you yourself asked him about his position on abortion point blank. He said he would be "delighted" if all abortions were ended in America. He made no exceptions.

August 27, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  2. Noel

One would first have to "get" the DNC honest, before considering the possibility of keeping them honest.

August 27, 2012 at 4:15 pm |
  3. Susan

Thank you, Mr. Cooper!! I can play DWS' game too. What this clip shows me is that a) the platform of the Democratic party is that the truth doesn't matter and b) the faux "war on women" is the only talking point that DWS has in her deck of cards.

August 27, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
  4. L Smith

Anderson, great job. DWS has no concept, or does not care about facts, the truth, right and wrong. Continue to stay on both sides of the isle and insist on facts that support their position. As you are already aware, DWS does not care about the facts and will continue to do or say whatever it takes to get her way.

August 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm |
  5. Presto88

Nice Job Anderson!!

Thanks for being fair to both candidates...I applaud you!!

August 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  6. Samiam

Wow, Anderson, good jouralism. You held her feet to the fire. To bad you could not hold or tape her mouth. She still did not understand what you were trying to get across. Do not watch your show but after seeing you in this interview, I am going start.

August 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  7. marg T. wright

Thank you Anderson for refreshingly seeking the truth from your guests. Your persistance pays off with viewers, and we appreciate your willingness to confront deception – no matter which party. Ms. Schultz should be ashamed of herself!

August 24, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Pila Sunderland

Anderson,

Thanks so much for being a rare bird and making the politicians answer and not just spin their way out of it. I am certainly not a Republican, but the press has been kissing the butt of the Administration for far to long. Kudos. I might think about actually watching CNN again if you keep this up.

August 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  9. Cmanly

Great Job Anderson. I hope we will see more of this from you and others at CNN. Both sides need to be held accountable. A glimpse at true journalism and reporting!! We need impartial media that’s only concern is uncovering and reporting the facts. Expose the lies form both sides. No more business as usual.

August 24, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  10. Pat

It is so refreshing to see a reporter from either side of center to place integrity above his or her personal agenda. Until about 2007 I often engaged in spirited discussions around differences between the Democratic and Republican parties. The discussions could occur back then because they weren't personal. The word "liberal" never surfaced. It was a time when I still watched and respected network news. It was when people from either party could say something respectable about Ronald Regan or Bill Clinton.
    Journalism used to be a respectful business. What is wrong with aligning yourself with either party and arguing your beliefs, without having to lie. How can Ms. Schultz live with herself?
    Thank you Mr. Anderson Cooper for giving me a twinkle of hope.

Pat
    Milwaukee, WI

August 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm |
  11. Cheri Keller

Thank you for being a real journalist.. Ms Shultz wasn't being accurate and you wouldn't let her get by. Thank you for holding your own and being honest for the viewers.

August 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm |
  12. radu

The end doesn't justify the means; AC is right.
    DW is wrong and must find valid arguments, not tell us to let this one slip.

August 24, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  13. Mike Galvin

Nice job, thank god somebody keep them on the hot seat, THANKS Anderson.

August 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  14. Denice

Thank you, Anderson, for persisting in your interview with Debbie Wasserman-Schulz. This woman is dishonest. I don't know why people vote for her. Thank you for exposing her lies. I found it amusing how many times she used your name. Have you counted?

August 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  15. david

Thank you Anderson!! Keep both sides honest and have fun doing it. Love your show!

August 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm |
  16. Holly Williams

Nice to see someone in the media with integrity and calling out inaccuracies without bias.

August 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  17. oliviaslove

Truth be told! Someone finally defended it, as if his journalistic code of ethics truly meant something! Bravo Anderson!, now if only more of the4th estate would realize the purpose of their jobs!

August 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  18. Carrjw1

Great interview. This is the sort of investigative journalism that is lacking in today's media. If one network will simply hold both parties accountable I think there would be a new #1 network in cable news. Great job Anderson! Your show is now on my must watch list.

August 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  19. Efrain Morales

I totally agree with Anderson to actually call people out on false quotes.I am an Democrat but will vote differently this year because I feel Mr. Obama had 4 years under Democrat House and Senate, and did Nothing. Give someone else a chance with Experience with Economy and not Speeches!!!! And I quote!!!

August 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  20. Rev. Dr. John Stauffer

This conservative republican preacher appreciates the solid journalism of Anderson Cooper. He holds the left and the right to honesty and allows no one to get away with un founded comments. He is the reason I watch CNN and he deserves to be honored for his good work.
    John Stauffer
    Hines, Oregon

August 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  21. MARS

Thank you Anderson for not "letting DWS off the hook!" Seems quite fair and balanced to me!

August 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  22. scranton

Good job Anderson. She has been lying for years.

August 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
  23. Theo

Way to go Andrson Cooper.
    Sadly, I don't think you ever broke through her denial.
    That lack of integrty at the Chairoman level, and for an elected officia is what really sares me

August 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  24. Marty

Thank you CNN and Anderson Cooper. I will watch CNN more and more as I see that you are trying to keep both parties honest. We need more neutral news agencies. Thank you!

August 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
  25. Kathy Smith

Thank you so much for standing up for what is right and the "truth" with Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
    I heard about today and I will check out your show from now on. The world needs more "true" reporters, not
    opinions! Opinions are mine to decide after hearing both sides.

August 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  26. Bill

Anderson Cooper may be the last true journalist left in the country!

August 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  27. jeff

Bout time politicians are kept at bay. Dems and Repubs need people like Anderson to point out when they are being dishonest and dirty. GO ANDERSON!!!!

August 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  28. George

Wow, I have newfound respect for Anderson Cooper.

August 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  29. Jared1131

Anderson – props for trying to keep the DNC chair honest.

But it should be clear by now they have no intention of running an honest campaign. It must be incredibly frustrating to interview people who just want to vomit their narrative.

Politicians need to learn that we're not stupid. They should feel free to shape and reshape their reshape their message, but we can see right through them when they try to shape their opponants' messages to prove their own narrative.

Nobody in the media holds them accountable, Anderson, so we're counting on you to be the first.

God bless you for trying, anyway. Keep it up.

August 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  30. Will Ogilvie

Thank you for exposing Debbie Wasserman-Schultz' mendacity. It was journalism at its fines. She has become an even greater embarrassment to the Democratic party than Eric Wiener.

August 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  31. Shrry Roe

Wow....I just might start watchig CNN aai!

August 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  32. RW Kauffman

Way to go Anderson! I am an independant voter and I am sick and tired of politicians, on both sides, not being held accountable for their actions and or words. This woman was obviously not being truthful about the issue you were busting her on. Typical of the political mentality of today's world to absolutely lie when questioned about specifics about their actions. It is beyond me to figure out how anyone would vote for a person like this woman to represent their community and state. She should be ashamed and so should the people she represents.

August 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
  33. Dave Strapko

Great job Anderson. I appreciate that you are trying to keep both sides fair an honest. I wish everyone would follow your example.

August 24, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  34. Mona

Everyone is talking about Anderson today... it was so refreshing to see someone in the media with some guts. You did good, Anderson.

August 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  35. David

"Keeps DNC honest" would imply that the DNC has been honest, which they haven't in decades. So glad to see a prominent member of the mainstream media finally calling them out on some of their lies. Keep it up Anderson and I'll keep watching.

August 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  36. Leo

Anderson Cooper for US PRESIDENTE! OLE!

August 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  37. ron smith

debbie wasseman schultz is so blinded by her far left democratic position that she willing not to tell the truth and also willing to do anything to make the republicans look bad. good job anderson.

August 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  38. falconfan00

Thank you Anderson. Watching you hold both parties accountable gives me hope for a return of integrity to the news. Please keep it. I'm watching, and i'm telling my friends.

August 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  39. Saildog78

Thanks, Anderson for trying. Wow! Regardless of what position a person takes on the issues, it is so difficult to participate in a democracy when there is no one to keep the messengers honest. They, any party campaigning, have plenty of money to say whatever they want as many times as it takes to make it believable, and we have enough time to work our jobs, raise our families and a little left over to try to keep up with what is really true? Thanks again for trying.

August 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  40. houston,g

I find Anderson Cooper conversation in keeping DNC Chairwoman Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz on point and in check a refreshing exchange,.....and we need MORE correspondents and anchor men and woman to keep both parties responsible for their words and comments that are not in truth and or correct.
    Anderson Cooper keeping them on point, again excellent job!
    hg

August 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  41. Gary

Way to go Anderson! I love it when the media has the intestinal fortitude to hold any politicians feet to the fire. So basically, it sounds like the Congresswoman is saying that it's okay to lie about something to get the public's attention as a lead in to their point about the differences between the two candidates. In the business world, that's called false advertising.

August 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  42. Mel

Thank you for being fair and asking the important questions of Wasserman-Shultz. TRUTH MATTERS.

August 24, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  43. Bob Kerwin

I appreciated seeing Anderson Cooper continue trying to get his point across even though the DNC Chairwoman refused to answer his direct questions. I am a moderate Republican and seeing CNN take an unbiased stance was refreshing. Thanks.

August 24, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  44. Jamie

I have to give props to Mr. Anderson Cooper for calling out the DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz. This is the JOB of the media. It is in the best interest of the country for media to portray no favor in presidential campaigns. This can of course happen in many ways, but amongst the ways is "selective reporting". I certainly hope if there was such a case on the GOP, Anderson would call them out in an interview just the same. I want to thank Anderson and everyone involved in this for keeping the parties in line! Previously, I would not flick on Anderson 360 at nights, but after watching this video, I definitely would tune in. Kudos to Anderson and your crew! Keeping politicians honest is a service to the American people! Thank you!

August 24, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  45. stephany

Thank you Anderson for holding people accountable no matter the party or your own political stand, it is refreshing to see balanced reporting. I will support this kind of news reporting and wanted to share a thank you to you.

August 24, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  46. Ray George

Great job Anderson! The way you gathered and reviewed the facts before your inerview wth Debbie Wasserman Schultz was very good. Then it gave a true view of how these pundits work and what lengths they will stretch the truth. We use to call it lieing when I was brought up. The "win" at any cost is exactly what's wrong with Washington and your interview specifically showed, with facts, why America is disgusted. Again, good job Anderson. Her respones in the face of facts was diguasting.
    Ray

August 24, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  47. Darr

AC, keep up the good work! Point out the hypocrisy and lies on both sides....I have become a fan in the last few weeks because of your 'fairness'....many media outlets and 'journalists' wear their ideology on their sleeves, and it shows...

August 24, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  48. Dan Keller

Mr Cooper.... Good job. Keep them honest. I wish there was more of this in the media.

August 24, 2012 at 7:36 am |
  49. Paul

Debbie Wasserman Shultz, the very wealthy woman that says she is one of the 99% putting words in the opposing parties mouth. I am shocked.

August 24, 2012 at 2:21 am |
  50. Kevin Callahan

Great Job, Anderson...

In trying to be fair, you did a good job... You Debbie Wasserman enough room to get out but she clearly did not know how to handle fair and true questioning....

How can she be the chair of the DNC, she makes Republicans look regal.

Lets get back to the facts. Great Job.

August 24, 2012 at 1:15 am |