AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
Tonight on AC360: Obama policy could put solar 'poster boy' out of business
August 22nd, 2012

Tonight on AC360: Obama policy could put solar 'poster boy' out of business

Four years ago, Bill Keith's booming solar business created much-needed jobs in the United States and attracted the attention of the Obama administration. Now, a federal policy to prevent China from flooding the U.S. market with cheaper solar panels could kill his business.
Watch here

1. Ray

He can get those panels in the US if he wanted maybe not the same price but they can be made. It also appears he has found a market not being serviced in the US (small panels) sounds like an opportunity to me. Why did he think he would be exempt from the tax ?

August 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  2. Sheree Kren

I must say, I am sad to learn what is really going on in Washington on this issue. Even as they talk about how much they care. It's not just Obama, it's both sides of the isle. The proof has been made public and thank you for that Anderson and CNN. Excellent report and my heart goes out the the inventor and his family.

August 23, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  3. Matthew

Do they literally only make solar panels in China? Is there any other company in the world? Oh wait, is it not as cheap as your Chinese labored part? Your business could be profitable with stolen parts as well! If a fair price for the parts makes your product no longer cost-effective, then your product isn't viable in the first place. The customs tax is doing exactly what its supposed to – stop letting companies cut corners with inexpensive Chinese parts.

August 23, 2012 at 1:43 am |
  4. Allyn R. J. Nelson, Senior

Please do a follow up on this store. I would like to know how to buy the product in question. Your are telling no solar panel company in this country is willing to keep up with out of country panel makers to help keep this person in business. If Obama does not help him I may not vote for him this election. You mean to tell me no one in the government can help this small buiness. I will, I want to buy his product. Tell me where and how please.

August 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
  5. Edward S. Elect Tech

Took me all of 5 minutes to find solar cells for cheap in various wattage's.

August 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  6. Garry Ackerman

What is the cost of the chinese solar panel compared to the total cost of the roof solar panel fan? Where can I buy one of these roof solar panel fans and the cost?

August 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Terry

Mr. Keith should also try getting the solar panels he needs from Israeli solar companies.

August 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Jim Smith

This man is NOT forced out of business! He has two options: 1) secure his photovoltaic panel from a domestic supplier; 2) convince China supplier to set up manufacturing here in the U.S. ! Jim in Spring House, PA

August 22, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
  9. Lara

That was such a hyped, dramatic, and disappointing story. There are so many US solar companies that would love to supply those panels. It was so politically motivated it was disappointing. The owner only tried two other sources.

August 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  10. modis

Here is a suggestion to the solar fans business owner. Why not look for solar panel makers outside of Chihna like europe or some place else? That should solve the problem.

August 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Tom

If Doug's and Robert's lead don't pan out, and no sources can be found in the USA, try another country in Asia that may not be effected by the Obama tax. There are many Solar Panel manufacturers in India which make big as well as small panels. Taiwan and South Korea may also be a source. Preference would be "made in USA" but seeing Bill and his employees go belly up would ne a shame.

August 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
  12. Josh Keith

This is my dad's company. Thank you so much for doing this special. It is such a blessing for my dad and his business. Hopefully it will aid in resolving this problem. Thanks again for the leads above as well!! God bless

August 22, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  13. Robert C.

My father works for a wind energy company. Obama can say what he wants but he has yet to renew a tax credit for renewable energy which will be expiring at the end of the year. As a result there have been fewer projects scheduled and layoffs.

August 22, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Cassie

How can Obama do anything when Congress has to pass that Tax Credit you are talking about which means you will have to wait until after elections with this Congress.

August 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  14. Doug

Just saw article on solar panels. The company may be able to get the federal prisons company, UNICOR to build the panels. They build for ohers and do a lot of work for the federal Govrnment. Have company send me an email and I will send them a lead.

August 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
  15. Robert Harrison

Contact Sustainable Energy Technologies a Canadian company

August 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • Jim A

Robert – the point is that he would rather keep the money in the U.S.
      I'll build them!