AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
June 8th, 2012

Texas man tapes deadly confrontation

A Texas man taped a confrontation with a neighbor before killing him. He claims self-defense. CNN's Randi Kaye reports.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. Dan

In the video, Rodriguez says "they're gonna escalate this". He says this just after pulling out HIS gun! He also says "I'm in fear for my life!". If he truly was in fear for his life, why did he not just GO HOME?! I think there is a very important parallel to the Martin case: Both involve murderers who "stood their ground", only it wasn't their ground to stand on in the first place!

June 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  2. Barbara

Why didn't the police respond to the man's noise complaints? According to what was reported he had called in a number of times prior to the shooting incident. And he wouldn't have been in danger if he hadn't created the situation. He could have walked away, gone home and waited for law enforcement.

June 9, 2012 at 11:43 am |
  3. Melissa

It's so obvious this guy came there looking to kill. He made sure to mention "im standing my ground" and "I fear for my life" so he can have a defense to kill. I hope they do not let him get away with it.

June 9, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  4. Michael

It seems to me that everyone is attempting to paint these situations as "all or nothing" when in fact both parties share a degree of responsibility for their actions. One should not threaten someone then expect them to assume they are bluffing or will not follow through with it. Next, obviously if this man felt he was potentially in danger, common sense says take yourself out of this situation before it happens if you can. However if you cannot, then and only then should you "stand your ground." Also, have we really become such a Nation of Wimps where somehow a fight becomes a "fear for my life" stance? In my opinion the "Stand Your Ground Law" was not designed to punish the winner (or potential winner) of a fist fight with a bullet.

June 9, 2012 at 8:12 am |
  5. Alex D. Novak

After several minutes of this exchange, all parties involved must accept responsibility for incredibly poor judgement, especially the police! Where were they?

June 9, 2012 at 6:40 am |
  6. Matthew Louis Brown

I've never seen anyone more guilty of premeditated murder than this man. He video taped the event himself, memorized scripted lines. This is sick. Nobody deserves Texas style punishment more than this man.

June 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  7. Jeff H

The guy belongs in jail. I am a concealed carry permit holder and know the responsibility that goes with it. First rule in any confrontation is to defuse it with any means but deadly force. He initiated it. He should have called the law and gone to bed. Seems to me he just didn't like someone else having a great party so he destroyed it.

June 8, 2012 at 10:38 pm |