AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
May 28th, 2012

School tries to fire teacher for 3 years

CNN's Tom Foreman investigates a teacher who hasn't been fired despite accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior.

Post by:
Filed under: Education
  1. Theresia

I want to know why the police have'nt arrested her for her lewd behavior towards minors and why isn't she in trouble for violating a court order?

May 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  2. Ray S

This is not a union or tenure problem. It is a problem with the courts. If the court held a hearing and made a decision the next day this case would have ended 2 1/2 years ago.

May 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  3. Andre Burns

public school tenure is a scam. Just protects incompetent teachers, and most Americans support the teachers unions.

May 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  4. A

She shouldn't be fired...she should be arrested. How is it that none of this sexual abuse she has committed is against the law?

May 29, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  5. Dan

This is like the catholic Church defending pedophile priests. This woman is a sexual predator and the teachers union is showing that it has no common sense by defending her. The teachers union has become too powerful and should be broken up like corporate monopolies are broken up. The teachers union is a monopoly that is destroying the education of our children.

May 29, 2012 at 8:27 am |
  6. Justin Miller

I was somewhat disappointed in the piece on teacher tenure. The call to end teacher tenure was made based on one extreme case. Look there is a problem with the system. It shouldn't take years to remove a teacher that is harming students. But you can streamline the process without getting rid of it. I'm a teacher. I believe I'm a good teacher. I have gotten nothing but great reviews, I've rarely had a parent complaint and I raise money for school supplies, trips, etc. I've also advocated for my students at board meetings, guidance meetings etc. Without tenure I wouldn't be able to do my job. I wouldn't be able to speak out about policies that not only didn't make sense but were harming my students. So if your going to do a tenure piece I would appreciate some degree of balance. It's fine to make the argument that you made. But there are equally egregious cases the other way and it would have been nice to have seen that part of the tenure issue discussed. For instance lets take athletic coaching that's at will employment. I know of at least one example in which a long term coach was removed from a position and replaced with another coach. The coach that replaced him was a former state champion in his sport. He also had a suspended teaching license for being sexually inappropriate with female students. Also there was a lot of talk of firing "bad teachers". How exactly would you measure that. And before you say test scores be careful. Now look I don't want you to get the wrong idea I'm not saying their shouldn't be accountability. But just that there is also a danger in making it too easy to get rid of teachers.

May 29, 2012 at 3:23 am |