May 21st, 2012

Pastor's anti-gay, anti-Obama sermon

Last Sunday, a North Carolina pastor condemned President Obama's support for same-sex marriage during his sermon. Charles L. Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church went on to preach his solution to "get rid of all the lesbians and queers." The message to his followers was caught on tape, but has since been removed from the church's website.

"Build a great, big, large fence 150 or 100 mile long. Put all the lesbians in there. Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals and have that fence electrified 'til they can't get out and feed them. And you know what, in a few years they'll die out. Do you know why? They can't reproduce," he said.

Anderson Cooper spoke with Rev. Welton Gaddy, President of Interfaith Alliance, about the anti-gay speech and Worley's comments against Obama's reelection. "I see nothing Christian about it and nothing American about it," said Gaddy.

Gaddy rebuked Worley for discrediting the compassion found in the bible and dangerously "planting seeds of hatred in sick minds."

Post by:
Filed under: 360° Interview • Religion
  1. For My God

Why is it that things can happen all around the world and nothing is ever said about it or published on the news, radio, etc. but when it comes to a man of God preaching the gospel everyone goes against it? why is that It took one woman to get prayer out of our schools, the Ten Commandments out of the court houses, and so on but when it comes to getting them put back in it takes an army? My opinion Bro. Worley does'nt hate the people he is trying to get people to understand that it's wrong for same sex marriages, abortions to be done. In the bible which most people don't even read anymore there was Adam and Eve which most of us remember that story from when we were kids not Adam and another man or Eve and another woman. Do you think God is pleased with the USA right now????

May 24, 2012 at 6:37 am |
  2. David Smith

Can we just do away with religion?

May 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Vicki Fincher

some people are disciminating against sin like they do with race IT is all SIN, and we are all Human Beings. All has to be done in love, not hate.

June 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  3. Jim LIndsey

And, so many people are wondering why their kids are commiting suicide...With people of authority saying things like that, it would probably be better to go ahead and get it over with than to spend years of hearing things like that said about them.. Some people (especially young people) don't know how to cope with such "badmouthing" about them...I sort of have the feeling a lot of that "gay bashing' by ministers, and the like, is sort of like the "travelling TV evangelists" of MY era... They travelled from Atlanta to Dallas, berating fornication and prostitution, while their "aids" were lining up their "overnights" for their travels along the way...A different "Overnight groupie" in every town they "played". I wonder what a bunch of them are hiding.

May 23, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  4. A. McKinley

Pastor Charles Worley ignorance gives the Christian faith a bad name. If he really knew his Bible and acted Christ like instead of allowing self to take over his pulpit in judging and professing punishment on lesbians and gays by putting them in camps like Hitler. Soul judgement and punishment is for God, not Worley (man). Worley is a disgrace to his profession. Souls need spiritaul pastoral guidiance, counsel, and uplifting love. Heart breaking that so many souls are leaving and have left the church because of bad pastoral examples like Worley, along with pedophile priests. Without faith, society's morals decline and we decay as a human race. Humanity, where in hell is it going?

May 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  5. Pamela H. Spencer

God bless Charles Worley! As with most issues in our society, a small portion of a sermon has summoned the hounds to attack! He certainly did not duck and run when it comes to telling what God says about homosexuality. This was an analogy that if contained, gay/lesbian couples could not reproduce and mankind would die out. Many heterosexuals choose not to procreate but could. God says homosexuality is an abomination and that those who continually carry on in this lifestyle, "men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense.... God gave them over to a reprobate mind" Romans 1:27 & 28. I have personally heard Charles Worley many times and what many fail to see and hear is only a sentence or two that is inflammatory to their philosophies. He didn't air this on national T.V. Someone else did and as a result of this, he has had virtually hundreds of death threats on his family and himself. Where is the "tolerance" on this side of the fence? We cannot sit silent and not tell the truth. I'll pray for those in opposition to the word of God. I was once blinded and I have great sympathy on any and all that have not studied the scriptures to the real truths of life. Charles Worley does not preach hate and terrorism towards the Gay communities. He's just bold and brave to preach the Bible and I am extremely fortunate to know and agree with him.

May 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • jessica

amen sister this is so the truth he is just preaching what the bible says

May 24, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  6. N. P. Stockard

It amazes me that people are so gullible and easily swayed to think like this Preacher is talking. What ever happened to, you thinking what you want and leave me to think what I want? People are so naive, and lack the wisdom to make a real informed statement about homosexuality and it's origins. What ever happened to just getting along with your neighbor?

May 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  7. charles pingley

the good Lord will show the United States one of these day just like in the Bible we will be destroyed

May 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • Jim LIndsey

Yeah, like in the Bible, Sodom was destroyed because the men there had become so wicked that any man who went into their city-except Lot, who was so ugly and filthy that no self-respecting homo would go near him-was in danger of being assaulted, even the Angels of God were in danger of being abused, if they hadn't been Angels, but a lot of people don't read on to see that Gommorah had become so wicked that the women there would jump on any man who came into their city, -except, of course, the Angels of God, but then, they were Angels, so who can assault THEM... (Gommorah was the city after which the legend of the Amazons came... they were the big, burly women who captured travelling men and kept them long enough to get pregnant, then killed them all...The Gomorites thought that being pregnant was the only way to be, and making babies was what made them productive in society... The more times they got pregnant, the better they climed the ladder in their society... Sort of reminiscent of our young ladies these days... getting pregnant at 12 and having 4 babies by the time they get married... Somewhat Gomorahish in MY mind. Some day, God will destroy all those who have sex without marriage, and the world will become a much better place for the Christians to live in.

May 25, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  8. Kim

So, let me get this right, if all the "gays" are rounded up and caged off they will die out? Most LGBT individuals have straight parents explain THAT Rev. Worley. If these people take Leviticus so seriously they better not eat pork or shellfish. They better be offering up animal sacrifices to the altar for their sins and for the babies born, to name a few. Are they putting adulterers to death? They better not marry non virgins, widows or divorcees either. Are they stoning blasphemers in North Carolina? How much do you think 30 or 50 shekels translates to in dollars and are they selling slaves?

May 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  9. cc

There was adam and eve and now there is bob and joe.. FINE ..just don't throw it in our faces and why should they be allowed to get married? and why do we should acknowledge it.... when the bible says man and woman...case closed!

May 22, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Bruce

Serious Question – why are the bible pounding folks so concerned with this one sin when everyone sins every day, breaking one rule or another in the bible. Why is this so bad, and say adultery not criticized?

May 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Pam

You really need to speak with the young lady that opened up this can of worms on this hate monger. Her name is Laura. As she says it only takes one person to begin to stop the hate. She was right. I'm proud to call her my daughter.

May 22, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  12. stella

I'm so sick of these so called Christians making horrible comments, this is why so many people do not trust religion today. Here in CA many churches endorsed prop 8 when it was on the ballot, why were these churches permitted to organize phone calls to people and campaign against it without consequences.

May 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  13. Kellie

Very sad that we will live in a world where people find that type of talk acceptable

May 22, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  14. Andy

This really isn't anything new.

I was brought up Catholic but ultimately decided the Catholic church wasn't for me. I had a friend who attended a "Christian" church and he always invited me to attend a service. Eventually I did. At first I really liked the church and the members. However, over time I came to realize this "church" had its own issues.

I moved into an all male house the church operated (one of two in addition to two all female houses). This was during the time Ronald Reagan was first running for president. I was somewhat surprised when the Pastor delivered a sermon in which he admonished the congregation (and this was one of the biggest if not the biggest Christian church in this LARGE city) that Reagan was the only candidate who represented their Christian morals and that if they were good Christians they would choose the candidate that represented those morals.

I was further shocked when during preparation for meals, which were a nightly ritual, talking with other guys in the house, there was no room for discussion regarding the Pastor's position. The general feeling was it wasn't up to the individual to determine who the right candidate for president was – the Pastor had already made that decision for them.

In fact, after these sermons voter registration forms were distributed throughout the congregation with the repeating admonition that good Christians would support the candidate who represented their moral values. At the time, I thought this was an incredibly "un-Christian" form of brain-washing and I still do.

Of course, this was the same Pastor who espoused the need for church members to "look at their friends and if they had more sectarian friends than Christian friends, they needed to decide whether or not they were really "true" Christians. The point being that "true" Christians don't socialize with non-Christians. He took this even further to the point of encouraging families to purchase homes on the same block in a particular subdivision.

While I have no way of proving it, I am convinced these same admonitions were being preached at most of the other "Christian" churches in the city.

So this pastor in North Carolina is just spewing venom, albeit in a decidedly more egregious manner, that has essentially been a staple of many "Christian" churches for a very long time.

May 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  15. lani

i Believe that this pastor is Preaching on God's word. in the Bible says that being gay is abomination in God's eyes. i am a Christian i believe that marriage is Between man and woman not a man and man nor a woman and woman. i am Christian i love all God's people but hate their sin. God Bless You and May God Forgive You

May 22, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  16. josh

Patty, what Jesus would say is, Go and be free of sin and sin no more. I have delivered you of your sins. What people don't get is we as Christians have the authority from God on high to speak against the spirits of hell and command them to depart from on us. I beleive if anyone of any kind calls on the name of Jesus they will be free of sin. Then it is up to us to walk in faith.

May 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Jamie

And how do you know you have the "authority"? Because other Christians told you so. And how do they know? Because other Christians told them. And so on. Convenient. And you use your authority to speak out about homosexuals when there are about a million problems in the world and so many people that need good people to help. And that's why society is moving from religion; it is self-serving and completely distorted by fear. If there is a God I hope She finds a way to show you the true path of love.

May 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
  17. jean

I don't know this pastor personally, but find it strange that some have free speech in this country but many do not. And why is it that the special interest elites want to lock most of the populations behind electric fences and destroy most of the world's population. By the way, I am not afraid of you because God is on my side, and I've already paid my dues in your reeducation camp nut houses for the last 40 plus years. I'd love to get the hell away from you devils, so not concerned about myself,, just all those other poor people who haven't had a chance at life yet.

May 22, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
  18. R.worrell

And by the way, taking away tax exempt status will not change the way Christians feel. WE are God's church. NOT the building.

May 22, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  19. Kay

Dear Sir, Early Dementia is very hard for families to admit to,even harder for the Church family to acknowledge in the Pastor. The reason Pastor Worley doesn't make sense is- dementia defies logic. I'm sorry that this ended up public, when it needed to stay private and retirement is what really needed to happen, a while back. Please stop making a media spectral of an elderly old man whose time to step down has come. Please let his family and flock work this out in private. This should never have gone on to the web. we got it off as fast as we could. I'm sorry for everyone who was hurt, including Pastor Worley's family. Dementia sucks!

May 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • volafox

So, is everybody there who 'amen'-ed along with him also victims of this 'dementia'? Is it contagious? Please, we the public have a right to know if such a phenomenon exists, and if there are documented studies that back up this magnificent claim. Hate is contagious. So is fear. So is stupidity, so I've come to discover. Dementia, not so much.

May 22, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Chris

Ah yes how convenient the Southern Baptist pastor is a victim of dementia, because clearly dementia only affects Southern Baptist pastors and makes them promote something as insidiously evil as a gay holocaust. I'm sorry but dementia is not a form of mind control that creates thoughts you wouldn't otherwise have. If that were the case, then vehemently Hitler-esque proposals of mass extermination would have multiple incidents across the board in senior citizens. But we live in reality, and this man is not merely a victim of a degenerative brain disease, and your defending him is also deplorable. Southern Baptist pastors are notorious for their unapologetic, unsympathetic approach towards "deviant lifestyles" as they call them. A disease can reduce maximum cognitive function in an evil being, but it doesn't reduce their being evil.

I sincerely hope you stand back and realize this man deserves absolutely no sympathy for his track record of vitriolic anti-gay rhetoric, and if I ever find it within myself to forgive him, it will be long after he's dead.

May 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • N. S. Smith

Your Pastor's comments should be excused then? I apologize if this was due to dementia. But how about the rest of the congregation?....or did I misunderstand? CNN to brought us this story so maybe they should apologize.

May 22, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Jim LIndsey

If the pastor is indeed suffering from early dementia, this might be exactly what is needed to facilitate his equally early retirement.

May 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • Humanist999

What, dementia? He appeared perfectly lucid to me in the video. I think this is just symptomatic of his heartfelt beliefs; and from the “amens” in church, it appears that the congregation was OK with these insane thoughts too. Spare me the “dementia” slant, this “pastor” needs to be dismissed of duties.

May 23, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • Edwin

Very kind words Kay and your response makes a lot of sense. I live in North West Arkansas, I have heard in the past pastors and guest speakers totally crossing the line or preaching about their views on a subject that really do not go hand in hand with my christian believes. God bless and take care.

May 23, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • Gary

Kay,
      I understand Dementia. That was not a display any characteristics of it. And if you listened to that video there must have been a church full of people with Dementia.When a man declares a desire for death camps and his congregation shouts "Amen" in response to his sermon I find little remorse for the harassment towards him. That speech was placed on You Tube and on their website. To let them off easily is a de-facto approval of his message of a Hate Crime. It is also in violation of IRS Tax Laws for exemption because he is instructing his congregation, along with his online followers who they should vote for this November.

If the situation was the opposite, and the pastor of a MCC Church called for death camps for all Christians Sean Hannity would have it on his program that very night as proof that their is a "War Against Christians." The news media, which is full of 'liberals, queers, homosexuals and lesbians' would be on high spin on Fox News, the 700 Club, and many more outlets.

This leopard and his pride are never going to change its viewpoints, nor would they cease encouragement for violence, You have to call it as it is: HATE SPEECH.

Regards,
      Gary

May 23, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • Gary Kilmer

Were all the members of the congregation shouting out support for his comments all ALSO suffering from dimensia? Nice try at trying to deflect this as the medical issue of one old man...but the video doesn't really support your hypothesis now does it??

May 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  20. volafox

Yet another reason I am glad I turned my back on the so called christian faith. Nothing like back to back hate spewed from old white men who think their way is the only way to heaven. Seems there's a skinny guy enjoying Texas prison who viewed the world the same way except he had a fetish for little girls. Wonder what skeletons are lurking in this joker's closet! Those who cry loudest over a sin seem to know the most about it, after all.

May 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
  21. N. S. Smith

Do any of the religious zealots in your country pay attention to what happens in other countries simply because people believe something other than what they believe? This is scary stuff.....no one should tolerate this kind of ignorance!!!!

May 22, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  22. Nnaemeka Anyado

i hate same-sex marriage.

May 22, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Todd Jordan

Then DO NOT marry anyone of the same sex. Solved.

May 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • jona

Then don't have one. Wasn't that easy?

May 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • Gary

Don't have one!

May 23, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  23. Dave

May this man learn to love ALL of his neighbors.

May 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • renegade98

Yeah and that will happen about the same time as we get our economy in order, jobs come back and everyone get's healthcare.

May 22, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  24. 0rangeW3dge

This incident speaks to a much more serious issue about Americans, and people in general. The issue of force as Plan B. And it's not just race and religion, it's the response for just about everything from checkers to International relations. The United States has become The Bully around the World with their shock-and-awe whenever anyone resists their opinion. But you already knew that (so did everyone else) and you ignored it. Talking out of both sides of your mouth, you say that you hate the countries that have done this throughout hstory, and then go about "conquering" other countries and forcing Regime Change at the point of a gun, "to protect our interests" or "so we don't have to fight 'them' on our own soil". It sounds good in in the ad, but is that what you really believe in?
    Prove me wrong.

May 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
  25. 0rangeW3dge

This incident speaks to a much more serious issue about Americans, and people in general. The issue of force as Plan B. And it's not just race and religion, it's the response for just about everything from checkers to International relations. The United States has become The Bully around the World with their shock-and-awe whenever anyone resists their opinion. But you already knew that (so did everyone else) and you ignored it. Talking out of both sides of your mouth, you say that you hate the nazi and the soviets, then go about "conquering" other countries and forcing Regime Change at the point of a gun, "to protect our interests" or "so we don't have to fight 'them' on our own soil". It sounds good in in the ad, but is that what you really believe in?

May 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  26. For My God

If you've never heard Bro. Worley preach then you are taking this to extremes. He is only preaching bible and he puts alot of wording in his sermoms as a joking manner but needless to say he is right and just like all the Athiest out here he is doing his job!!!. I know God destoryed Sodam and Gamarh for the same thing that is going on in our word today! I mean look around the end of time is at hand and there will come a day to where EVERY knee shall bow and Every tounge confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!!!! Which side are you gonna be on and where will you spend eternity??????

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • For My God

So in the begining of time God made a man and then he said the man needs not to be alone so GOD put adam into a deep sleep and removed one of adams ribs and made a woman for adam and adam said this is bones of my bones and flesh of my flesh and she shall be called WOMAN because she was taken out of MAN. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave unto his wife and they shall be one flesh. I know yall like to get a kick out of christians but not every christian believes like other christians therefore I believe that u should show the love of GOD but my BIBLE says GOD destoyed sodom and gomhorrah because of homosexality and adultry and the same stuff thats going on in the UNITED STATES. I will not put no one down because they are gay or lesbian because i love each and every one but the one thats gonna judge is my Father in Heaven. Pastor Worley was just stating his opinion. What happened to FREEDOM OF RELIGION and FREEDOM OF SPEECH. People think it is alright to take the rights from christians like taking pray out of the schools and the ten commandments but when it comes to other minorites then its alright they can do what every they want. Our nation was founded on GOD and it should stay that way. If all the minorities can do what they want then whats wrong with the christian children bringing GOD back in our schools? If our country would go back to serving GOD like it was founded on then we would be blessed even more as a country look how blessed we be was blessed years ago and look what this country has been going through in the last ten years or so. Thank u and GOD bless

May 22, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
  27. Lorrie Beals

I live in Maiden N.C. I was raised a mile from this church.I went to a church a mile in the opposite direction.There are alot of open minded loving people in our town but there are unfortunately alot of these" Gays burn in Hell" mentality as well. My daughter is gay,when she was little she would get in my bed at night and tell me she was worried she was going to hell,when I asked her why she would hesitate and say oh lies and stuff.I hate that I ever participated in that kind of fear inflicted on my child.I am pretty sure this is not what Jesus would do.

May 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • jona

Thank you for being courageous enough to admit your role in propagating hatred, and for recognizing the extreme damage it does to LGBT people. I sincerely hope you actively engage these hate mongers at every opportunity, and don't let them get away with this blasphemy. It's your religion that's being destroyed. Take it back!

May 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • charles pingley

If she don't change her ways she know where she is going

May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  28. gloria downes

What a shame. Very sad.

May 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  29. Mpls Girl

Nice coverage last night on this story. I have got to know more about this Worley guy. Is the rant/sermon in the video typical of what he does? He doesn't speak as though he is an educated man. I am wondering about his educational backround, where he comes from and what kind of followers are in his church.
    Even though he spews hate speech, I say let him keep talking. He will BURY himself. The guy couldn't reason his way out of a paperbag.

May 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  30. Mary

Looks like Kansas isn't the only state with a crazy Baptist minister! Sounds like Worley and Fred Phelps were cut from the same cloth.

May 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
  31. Frank

So, he is advocating for a holocaust of the LGBT community, it sounds like. Yes, this is a very American thing to do, NOT!

May 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Ruben Lee Sims

What this pastor says he would do to gays, is taken from the historical playbook in treatment of Black America. It is commonly known as Jim Crow. This Pastor in another statement commented that 40 years ago, gays would have been hung from an Oak Tree. Well we all know who he was referring to as being hanged in the 20th Century. He was referring to a time when Blacks were hanged for being Black. This sounds so much like the history of Black Americans in segregated neighborhoods. Most disturbing of all, he says he would segregate gays behind electric fences and drop food to them and they would eventually die out because they could not reproduce. In my mind, historical Black neighborhoods were segregated by virtual fences that were policed and contorlled by local authorities to keep us in except for work. Also, coal ash and other toxic chemicals were placed in Black neighborhoods. Clearly the comments of this pastor suggests this is no coincidence; This was not just a strategy for segregation, it was a strategy to poison Black Americans and control Black population growth just as he proposes to do with gays. The thinking of this pastor is nothing new, it is symbolic of the evil and hatred shown againt Black Americans and the extent White America historically, particularly in the south, was willing to go to poison, sicken, and kill Black Americans with coal ash and other toxic chemcals. Today, Black American health and death statistics clearly show they succeeded. This pastor speaks from the pulpit as a messenger from God. It just shows that God has been used to justify evil and hatred, even though God in Jesus Christ showed the Great Love For All Mankind.

May 22, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  32. Mark

Would someone please explain to me why in a country that operates under the guise of separation of church and state that churches that politicize their fear/hatred are allowed to keep their tax exemption? No one wants to take on this battle, it seems, but if the IRS is going to have the rule, ENFORCE IT! Allow these hate-filled fundamentalists to choose. You may take advantage of tax freedom, but if you do so, you may not politicize or try to influence legislation, PERIOD. If they ignore the "rules," their tax exemption should be revoked. Also: it is a shame that so many that call themselves "Christians" sit in silence and allow this to continue without protest. So many who disagree, sit in silence. In my mind, they are just as guilty (if not more so). Disgusting!

May 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
  33. Chris B

The "out of context" defense is a bunch of crap. It's the Bible. There is no context. It's a series of allegories meant to instill fear and has no place in a free-thinking Nation. The Bible also advocates polygamy (Abraham), selling children into slavery, and stoning brides who are not virgins. What possible context could there be that sheds positive light on these tenants?

May 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
  34. Eliz

I love this man's use of the English language. "The bible again it, God again it, I'm again it." Yes, I understand dialectal and regional accents. But I think if you're going to be "educating" people on what you're preaching, you should be "educated" as well. Ignorance and hatred and fear.......how it fuels the masses.

May 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  35. David

besides being disgusting, this is political. This sermon, and you can be sure there's more where that came from, should cause this church to loose it's non-profit status. Preach politics and loose non-profit status, plain and simple.

AND this hateful pastor needs to understand the harm his words proliferate across the state, nation, and world. He is a reprobate and should be silenced or pay!

May 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  36. Adam

It is so hard to believe that there are people in positions of mass influence that would press for an extinction of a group of people in America. The message this pastor is sending is pure hatred and is based so far from the truth. I just wish there was a larger press for education on homosexuality.

May 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Humanist999

Adam: I agree, but have you not been introduced to the Republican/Tea Party?

May 23, 2012 at 1:13 am |
  37. Alex Bailey

This is a freaking disgrace to all Americans. No wonder the rest of the world hates us.

May 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  38. jobdespair

Thanks for putting this on the national stage. Too often his extreme rhetoric is just ignored. People need to know that this type of thing is happening.

May 22, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
  39. Elizabeth

Providence Road Baptist Church of the Third Reich headed by Charles L. Worley, understudy of the Hitler sect.
    What a way to love thy neighbor. Almost could not understand him from his inarticulate babble and incomplete sentences. I am pretty sure you could find him in history speaking for segregation and separation.

May 22, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  40. Alex

Unfortunately what Pastor Charles Worley doesn't understand is that it's heterosexuals that keep birthing out gays. At some these fundamentalist Christians will have to accept that homosexuality is linked with genetics.

May 22, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  41. asm_ith

It is difficult to understand why this church should keep its tax-free status, since the pastor is clearly preaching politics. The same applies to all the Catholic organizations which just sued the government; if they don't want to follow the rules that the government establishes, they should just stop receiving any government funding.

May 22, 2012 at 7:54 am |
  42. Ike

I live minutes from pastor worley and his church. I have meet Worley in the community and he can be rather high minded and rather sure of himself. He is a showboat and I think that just maybe he will capitialize on this media attention. There are very good people in this community only we have our share of bigits, some of our people's beliefs are lost in the 60's.

May 22, 2012 at 2:56 am |
    • renegade98

Worley can capitalize on it all he wants, but he is going to lose his tax exempt status...

May 22, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Anja

Rev Gaddy is exactly right. The Christian fundamentalists can't stand not being in the majority and the bigotry inherent in their doctrine is coming out. I was raised in a fundamentalist household and have heard many sermons similar to this NC preacher but with cameras and technology the rhetoric is no longer contained inside the four walls of the "church". I applaud Rev Gaddy for publicly saying the truth; it's obvious he has the religious right figured out. I'm so glad you're out there speaking for enlightened Christians everywhere who understand Jesus' message was of love, acceptance and equality for all.

May 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Carl Struble

North Carolina was, I repeat WAS, my vacation destination this summer, and with thousands of dollars to spend. That has now changed. I will drive hundreds of miles out of my way, so as not to spend $1 in North Carolina. I've always wanted to vacation on the outer banks, and I guess I always will.

May 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • Asi

I agree with you 100%. and where is our freedom of speach, freedom of religion, Where IS OUR FREEDOM??

May 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
      • jona

We don't need freedom of religion. We need freedom from religion.

May 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Rich

Yes, Jesus' message was love, but Jesus also defined marriage as a man and a woman, Mat 19:4,5, and Jesus does not change, Heb 13:8, Mal 3:6, and Jesus warned us to repent or perish, Luke 13:3, 2 Thes 1:7,8.....

May 22, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  44. patty falkenstein

If you put people behind electrified fences and wait for them to die...arent you running a concentration camp? Would like this pastor to explain what Jesus would say about that....

May 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  45. Joey

Any religion can choose to promote life by promoting reproductive organs to be used as intended.

May 21, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  46. Marilyn

This is why these churches should be taxed!

May 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • N. P. Stockard

I totally agree with Marilyn, Churhes should all be taxed the same as industry and all other places of income. This one step would probably eliminate the entire national debt!

May 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  47. bburnes

Inciting violence from any pulpit should be exposed by the media.........not one sided and not selectively....

May 21, 2012 at 11:04 pm |