AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
April 23rd, 2012

Tonight on AC360: Zimmerman's lawyer on bail release

George Zimmerman's lawyer confirms to Anderson Cooper this his client was wearing a bullet-proof vest when he was freed on bail early Monday morning; he still fears for his safety. He says Zimmerman will be moving locations several times to protect his whereabouts.

Mark O'Mara also discusses the apology Zimmerman gave to Trayvon Martin's family at his bond hearing last week. He says it was his client's idea to apologize to Trayvon's parents, but the motivation was not bond. Watch a preview and see the full interview at 8 and 10 p.m. ET on AC360°.

Post by:
Filed under: Trayvon Martin
  1. Nancy Mc

Trayvon's mother was asking for an apology and George Zimmerman asked to get in touch with her and Trayvon's father but they wouldn't accept his offer. Also, his lawyers had advised him not to contact them. Besides, how would he have been safe enough to give the apology with all the media and protests against him, not to mention the $10,000 bounty? He finally apologized in the court room where he knew he would have a chance to give the apology. He didn't have to apologize just to get bond. He did it because he wanted to.

April 23, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Emmy Wils

There has been a lot of hanky-panky in the case of murderer ZImmerman killing Trayvon Martin . It is his turn today showing off at the corridor of power , but tomorrow is pregnant . I foresee a situation in the very near future where Murderer Zimmerman would come out in the open and vomit the whole truth in his killing of Trayvon Martin . Truth can only be delayed but never hidden forever . God is alive .

April 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
  3. Reggie Jackson

Good luck, Zimmerman. I hope you stay safe. You deserve a fair trial and all of those already judging you need to get some perspective and just zip it.

April 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  4. Andre

I think the justice system sucks. The judge let him go free on bail for a murder of a unarmed child & you give a drug dealer life in prison. I don't sell drugs

April 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  5. Robert keeler

ONCE again I must ask the question No One has asked: What neighborhood watch? Who was under his (captain Z.'s) command? this is important information that NO news/media agency has mentioned

April 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  6. Steven Adams

I really think that Zimmerman is very unfortunate, at the wrong place at the wrong time. Look, every year the media finds one case to blow WAY out of proportion, like the Casey Anthony trial. I do think that Zimmerman should be pitied. ALL the evidence points to the fact that he was being beaten up. Really. If Zimmerman was African-American himself, than this case would be a quiet afair. Also, I think that that "Trayvon was a good boy" plead is very false. Many people have looked at school records, and he has been arrested for drug ussage, and stealing, as well as grafiti. The evidence is there. Why do we choose not to look at it?

April 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  7. Liza

OMG, a bulletproof vest. !! He really was looking for some kind of fight. Playing cops and robbers. Another reason why the law in question is dangerous.

April 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
  8. Raphael

It wasn't appropriate that he said he was sorry. I understand if he is sincere about his apology, but he should have never followed Trayvon in the first place, especially with a gun. He didn't have to kill Martin even with a gun in self-defense. It looks like he had the intent to kill; otherwise, he would have shot somewhere else. It comes across as disingenuous and self-serving to apologize.

April 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  9. brayden maine

I would wear more than a bullet proof vest. I would wear a military grade plate carrier with a boron carbide plate. as well as a kevlar lined helmet, and a personal detail of 25 armed private security agents. I dont personally take a side on the issue. But i dont think he would of lasted a day in prison. He may last a bit longer on the outside, but its hard to say.

April 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Max

This is a civilized country. Right? Why would he have to worry at all? I fear for the future of the USA if we don't stop all this over reaction.

April 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  10. Janie Eileen Jones

I thought it was very self serving and in poor form to "apologize" to the family in that forum, where they were a captive audience who had to listen to him. Whether it was his intent or not, it came across as incredibly self-serving.

April 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Max

I don't agree with you. I think that he had wanted to say those words but was told not to contact the parents. Remember his prior attorneys left the case and he had asked them to convey his apologies to them. He seemed very sincere.

April 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Danny

I disagree. They were crying for him to apologize and he did apologize for the loss of their son.
      However they wanted him to apologize for something that he said he did not do.
      That is how it works.

April 23, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
  11. steve

If he fears for his safety let's give him a gun so he can "defend" himself from all the blacks wearing hoodies

April 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  12. timothy

If I was facing a kid with skittles and an iced tea I'd wear a bulletproof vest, too. And I'd have my bullet in my pocket just like Barney Fife did.

April 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
  13. Barbara Meyers

Please ask Attorney O'Mara why he told the media that he did not know what Zimmerman would say on the stand the other day. All lawyers know what their clients will say. Rule of law: never ask a client a question you don't know the answer to., He knew what Zimmerman would say. And why didn't Zimmerman say: I'm sorry for "killing/shooting" your son (to the Martins) as opposed to what he did say: "I'm sorry for your loss". (of your son)

April 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • Reggie Jackson

Why should Zimmerman say anything else? He had to protect himself. Surely everyone already knows he killed/shot him so why use graphic terms that are dehumanizing in front of his parents. Regardless, they'll never be happy. I'm certain he is sorry but in the end, if he was in danger of losing his life, he shouldn't have to apologize any further. Zimmerman is a victim too.

April 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm |