AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
April 18th, 2012

Three-day-old baby kidnapped

Kala Golden, 28, was taking her 3-day old son Keegan to their pediatrician for a check-up when she was gunned down and fatally shot in a Texas parking lot. The accused attacker is Verna McClain, a 30-year-old nurse and mother of three.

Witnesses say they heard an argument between the two women after McClain confronted Golden. Eyewitness Tia Collins said, "They were struggling and I didn't know what was going on." Then people nearby heard the gunshots; Golden was shot in the chest several times.

Even after she was wounded, Golden was heard shouting "My baby" as the suspect fled the scene with Keegan. Police say she was dragged to the ground as she tried to get her son back from the attacker's vehicle.

An Amber Alert was issued and hours later detectives, searching for a vehicle that matched a description given by witnesses, found the car near an apartment complex in Montgomery County, Texas. A SWAT team arrested McClain and later found the baby she kidnapped in her sister's apartment.

Police pieced together the horrifying crime and shocking motivation: McClain had a miscarriage, but told her fiance she had given birth to a child. The part most puzzling to authorities is that McClain and her fiance are black, and the baby she stole is white.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. CB

This is outrageous on so many levels. Yes, the person who did this should get the death penalty.
    My heart goes out to the family. Odd, that you hardly hear anything about this on the news though ...
    No, it doesn't add up ...

April 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  2. Dorothy

And once again, if that woman hadn't had a gun, that mother would likely still be alive.
    This is SO tragic beyond belief. I don't know how people recover from something like this; I really don't. There just aren't words to help this situation. My thoughts go to the husband and little one and R.I.P. Kala.

April 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Mrs. Taylor

My thoughts and prayers goes out to the GOLDEN family, GOD BLESS!!!!!!!

April 20, 2012 at 4:10 am |
  4. Godspower

What a wicked act 4 dis devil's incanate.It is good that she should shud face the music she had played(ie the law)

April 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  5. Ana L. Resendez

Texas Death Row, this is capital murder, no excuses, no insanity pleas, the vile creature should be treated as such, like an animal, or worse, I have animals with so much more compassion and regard to human life, it would have to be proven that she was insane, Therefore, a person whose mental disorder is not in dispute is determined to be sane if the court decides that despite a "mental illness" the defendant was responsible for the acts he or she committed and that he or she will be treated in court as a normal defendant. If the person has a mental illness and it is determined that the mental illness interfered with the person's ability to determine right from wrong, and she obviously ran and hid withthe child, knowing well what she did was WRONG.

April 19, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
  6. H.kamara

What a sad sad incident, God knows what was in her mind. I pray for the baby who's goin to grow up without a mother, the husband and the rest of the family my thoughts are with them.

April 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  7. Danyeal

I feel so bad and so sorry for her family Please god bless them and help them pleASE BRING GREAT BLESS FOR THERE LOSE.

April 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
  8. Nadali

This is so horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

April 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  9. Dancehall G

This is insane... I hope Verna gets the death penalty!! We need that in Canada for people like this wtf!!

April 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  10. Sonya

This story is absolutely tragic and awful. It is completely senseless that a beautiful mom should be robbed of her life and her babies robbed of their mom – a husband robbed of his wife. The most bizarre part was when a Black woman's face appeared on the screen. I thought sure they were going to say she stole the baby for someone else, or perhaps a black market. Her story makes NO sense whatsover. She's a nurse and mom, too? Doesn't add up. This woman must have had some kind of psychiatric breakdown or was on major drugs. Still, the evil that is unleashed in this world is of monumental proportions.

April 19, 2012 at 8:30 am |