AC360 Thursday 8p

There are growing questions about the Bluefin-21 search for Flight 370. What's happens when it completes its sweep? The latest tonight on AC360.
April 12th, 2012

Bay Buchanan: Response to Hilary Rosen 'despicable'

A wave of controversy after Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen said on Wednesday’s 360 that Mitt Romney's wife "never worked a day in her life." Rosen is back to clarify what she meant, and Romney adviser Bay Buchanan also weighs in saying the Democrats wronged Rosen.

Post by:
Filed under: 2012 Election • Raw Politics
  1. jesus

Since when telling "like it is" is a despicable thing. It is truth she has never work in her life, and it is truth she did not have to. And it is also truth she is not the best source of advice to her husband when it comes to working women needs. My mom had 10 kids, and she managed to work and be a mom. If she would be alive today, I thing she would be a better counselor to Mr. Romney.

April 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  2. Sal

Being a socialite is a hard job. Engagements, fundraising, entertaining, juggling family and social events, then incorporate church, hygiene, shopping for a wardrobe that corresponds with the aforementioned, and then some alone time, etc.

April 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
  3. Joyce Copenhaver

This is ridiculous to stir up the Mommy Wars I experienced decades ago, both as a working mother and a stay-at-home mom. Unlike Mrs. Romney, I didn't have the option of choosing, and when I worked, I was still a mom. Believe me, this is harder; grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc still need to be done but with less time and energy available. I heard Hilary Rosen's comment with the dictionary definition: ."Work: employment, as in some form of industry, especially as a means of earning one's livelihood," which apparently Mrs. Romney didn't experience. For those without that much imagination, just add "outside the home" to her statement and shut up.

April 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
  4. My_goodness

Staying home = 1 job (granted)

Out in the work force and raising a family = 2 jobs.

For many, many Mainstreet folks, having mom out on a job is not a choice.

I wouldn't know about this; maybe someone else does. How many of these jobs does a rich lady do per week? (small sample) Scrubbing floors, toilets, kids, cars.
    How many loads of wash and ironing? How much time spent on kitchen duties, vacuuming, mending, sewing, gardening?
    Does she get to go to bed when she has a flu bug?

I believe that there is a disconnect here.

April 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  5. Susan

I am absolutely appalled at the attack on Hilary Rosen by the Republicans and the political flap of coverage by the news media. I understood perfectly what she said regarding Ann Romney's wealth and the fact that she does NOT face the same issues as the majority of American women working outside the home. Those issues include everything from child care costs and availability to desperate job choices women have to make just to afford water, electricity and a few meager groceries, Ann Romney seems to be a wonderful person but this mega wealthy, multi-millionaire darned well never had to make a choice between paying the electric bill, paying the water bill or buying food for her hungry children! The nuclear destruction of Hilary Rosen is an outrage. Ms. Rosen is a victim of this constant, never-ending ,wickedly negative Republican campaign. This is the last straw for me! I will not be voting Republican this November!

April 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  6. zappa

only thing Hilary Rosen works on is a big ol fat sandwich bet shes good at that

April 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
  7. Bill Skeat

Mrs. Romney made an interesting statement that so far has not been commented on by the news people. She said that choices made by women should be respected. So, if a woman makes a choice to use birth control, have an abortion, etc., does her statment indicate that she would respect her decision? And if she respects this decision, would she do nothing to prevent it? Perhaps, based on her husbands comments on these choices, she also mis-spoke?

April 13, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  8. workhorse86

Hilery Rosen said this last night:
    "Many women do not have the choice or the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom."
    Is it a "luxury to be a stay-at-home mom"

April 13, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  9. lost516

Geez! this very old and tiersome fight about woman, working or staying at home, whoops I just said it to and didnt mean to say that stay at home mothers dont work! they do and its hard work. But really when you HAVE to work and raise kids its a lot tougher. that doesnt even begin to say half of it!, the guilt alone can be crazy, and I have even been told I wasnt the best mother because I HAD to work, my sister told me she was a better mother because she got to stay home, or because I showed up at school with store bought treats and not home cooked, I overheard a mother dissing my treats. But sorry when you work all day and come home and get supper done asap then run to the event theres no time for every thing. so it goes both ways, and will always will as to who the better mother is. Sorry I dont think she ment to say that she didnt work she just didnt work outside the house, thats how I took it. I think some just looking for any little thing they can diss the dems for. Geez havent we all had enough of this crap?

April 13, 2012 at 5:52 am |
  10. Molly

Just a side note from today's rebuttal about the "luxury" of staying home. Many of us "stay at home" moms do sacrifice financially to be the ones to take care of our children. My husband and I made it a priority for me to be a full time mom and not put our baby in day care. We make it work on one income, but it is not easy. Just because a woman chooses not to "work," does not mean she is swimming in money.

April 13, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  11. Darryl Mosley

Bay Buchannan who I consider an RNC hack just gained a boatload of respect in my book for understanding that Hillary Rosen was simply making the point that Ann Romney had the choice to stay home and raise her kids insted of having to wait tables and try to raise her kids at the same time. it's about time that the far right (at least Bay) had the class to see her comments for what they were instead of twisting them into a political talking points.

April 13, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  12. Geria Wright

Hilary Rosen strikes again and does a double gaffe! This woman has a serious case of foot-in-mouth-in-ass disease! I was just watching a repeat of Anderson's interview with Rosen and Hutchinson, and Rosen said, ".....being a stay at home mom is a luxury...."when answering Anderson's direct question about her comment about Ann Romney not working a day in her life? Rosen kept trying to deflect and spin away from the question and made another gaffe?! What an IDIOT!

Being a homemaker isn't a "luxury," it's a God-given sacrifice to raise godly people fitted to be innovators, inventors and contributors for the benefit of mankind and heirs of the Kingdom of Heaven. Homakemakers disavow all worldly gain and pursuits to do the JOB we are CREATED to do and that's to be full-time mothers rearing and homeschooling our own children not shirking those responsiblities to abosolute strangers in a failing and immoral public education system!

April 12, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
  13. Rosie Razor

I agree with you Hilary, because if her husband would of brung her name up you would of thought about not saying nothing about her. You spoke what was on your mind and I don't see anything wrong with it. Everybodies feelings are to easy to be hurt for them to want to win something.

April 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  14. s mcelfresh

I am a Black female and Mother of two who raised both children alone after initiating a divorce proceeding when the youngest child was 3 years old. I also have an Economics degree and have graduate hours in law. I was not at all confused by Rosen's statements about Ann Romney. While Ive always admired President Obama's tenacity, I was put off by the polite but clear distancing and disavowments coming from the White House. Why must everything be reduced to stupid. The only persons who were truly offended by Rosen's comments were those looking for a way to ignore "priviledge". Somebody tell Ann Romney that if she thinks her struggles with cancer and raising 5 boys was tough, she should try it with no money.

April 12, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
  15. Adebayo Awotundun

Why are people twisting Hilar Rosen's comment. What she meant is that some women have no choice but to work and at the same time raise their children. Ann Romney's has been lucky to have a choice of not working, she may therefore not be the most qualified person to feel the pain of women who have to work and raise children. We shy away from facts because we always want to be politically correct.

April 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  16. Merrilee Davidson

While I do agree that being a Mom, full time or otherwise, is a very difficult job, I think it is far more difficult being a "working" Mom. Mrs. Romney is lucky to have had the "CHOICE". I think that is what Ms. Rosen meant. Unfortunately, many women don't have the choice to stay at home.

April 12, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
  17. Keisha

Look youbcan be a stay at home mother but that don't mean you really know what goes on in working mothers home.
    Hilary don't know anything about how I'm going to feed my kids; how I'm going to buy there clothing; and will there father WILL be in our child's life

April 12, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
  18. christine brombosz

Anderson.. i saw how attentively you listened to Buchanan and Hilary Rosen. why does CNN not. report or anyone else defend what Hilary REALLY did say (my heart went out to her). i really got what she meant...most women HAVE to work, how many are in single parent families...they DO NOT have the choice to stay home or have 5-10 kids...MITT"S wife chooses to stay home because she needs to be there when the elevator is installed....they are blowing this thing out of proportion, even Josh said they were not hurt by the comment, because it is all politics. Josh doesn't seem to have much substance because he's also out of touch... now trying to tying her in with OBAMA........i'm a woman. i work and ithere is no way in hell i'd vote for a MITT, don't like him, don't trust him.....he ran for president because his wife told him to, the GOP aren't too crazy about him either..wake up America...Obama deserves a 2nd chance and the country would heal if the GOP became a party of "YES" instead of NO......Christine good for Hilary, stand your ground (today it's you)...tomorrow it'll be Obama , Michelle and the GOP............love you Anderson (nice job)

April 12, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  19. A Fields

Mrs. Rosen should have not apologized she stated facts! Mrs Romney has never worried about how she will feed or provide a safe home for her children. Has she dealt with the stress of worrying about getting fired because she has to take off work to deal with teachers at low performing schools who are providing your child a below standard education. Can she relate to the struggle you have with yourself of which bill you can juggle this month to get you to next month?

I'm not happy with Michelle or Mr. President for acting as if she was attacking Mrs Romney- I clearly understood her comment in how Mrs. Romney clearly can' t relate to MOST of America! Not that being a mom is NOT hard work but so very different from MOST of Americans life! She can't relate to as you media people love to say "Main Street" issues! She clearly lives in The wealthy part of town!

April 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  20. DexterMc

Are you kidding Bay? Stop making excuses for her. She has stated her position multiple times and she is WRONG. What gives her the right to denigrate Ann Romney?!

April 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm |