March 19th, 2012

Video: Florida law impacts Trayvon Martin case

Anderson Cooper talks to Jeffrey Toobin and Sunny Hostin about the laws coming into play in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Trayvon Martin
  1. nyabana

georgezimmer should go to jail for killing trayvon martin r.i.p trayvon martin

March 25, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
  2. Haleene W

For whatever reason, the cops really did not pursue this with proper investigating. If you buy the "Stand your ground law" for Zimmermans reasoning, then "Martin" was the one with the right to shoot. Zimmerman was the one who pursued "even after being told not to" and had a gun! This never had to happen had he followed orders.
    He could have even felt that Martin was going to fight him, but there has been no evidence to show fear for his life, unless he thought Martin was going to "Skittle" him to death..
    I think he realized he over acted after the he killed the boy, and that is why he was pacing after that. His story just does not wash.
    I find it sad that people are making this a white and black thing, to the point of calling Zimmerman a "white Mexican." What the heck is that? Just because someone has color, doesn't make it racial ...period.

March 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
  3. beth c

I think that this guy Zimmerman would be arrested and on trial for murder if this kid was White... but because he is African American... the law is protecting the shooter. Some things do not change. If it happens to a white child or adult then its a crime if it happens to an African American then its somehow the victims fault. This is a reflection of the racist attitudes in our world. I hope and pray for change.

March 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
  4. C. Callery

I cannot believe the last conversation I just heard between you and Anderson. You mean to tell me Jeff cannot see the clear facts here. He expects us to sit here and justify a self-defense claim by a man who chased the boy through the housing complex. You mean if your son or daughter goes to meet a friend in a gated or non-gated community it is OK for them to be frisked or questioned by complete strangers carrying a 9 millimeter gun. You mean to tell me you think it is appropriate for us to assume Zimmerman was fearful for his life and not the other way around. Lets look at this scenario. 17-year old boy walking down the street sees a man he does not know approaching him in a car. He turns and moves away quickly to create space and the car continues to close. Shouldn't our discussion be Trayvon fearing for his safety (stranger danger..we learned that in grammar school) and in self defense runs. He is cornered. Stranger doesn't identify himself nor waits for the police. Insteads, decides to capture him. Treyvon now being attacked by a stranger calls for help. So, did Jeff miss those audio tapes from several 911 calls. So help me understand, it is your son or daughter screaming for help with a stranger on his/her back and he shots them. And you are goiing to tell me you would sit in front of a camera and say. Yes world my son or daughter was in error for not checking in with the stranger when they started walking down the sidewalk. And yes they were wrong for trying to avade someone they did not know and who did not identify themselves (None of the 911 calls said they heard Zimmerman ID himself). And you would then say to the world, Yes they were in appropriate for screaming HELP so loud it disturbed the neighbors. You cannot possibly be trying to rationalize this horrible crime to a group of people who have to deal with more than their fair share of evils and now after this event, if you are living in Florida, you have to pay for an armed excort for your african american child to walk through ANY community. Are you really that blind. Police have arrested thousands with far lease evidence. How do I know this? The news networks flood my air ways every day with some one in hand cuffs. Don't look so hard for the truth when common sense will answer most of your concerns.

March 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
  5. alex baldwin

All I can think about with this case is a mother two years ago who's little girl was abducted, molested and murdered by a man who threw her body in the trash. It keeps playing in my mind how that mother who was forced to work to support her child and wasn't there to walk her home from school had to say. She said " HOW COULD SOME ONE KILL MY BABY AND JUST DUMP HER IN THE TRASH AS IF SHE WAS NOTHING. ?"

AND I say how could this man kill this child as if he was nothing? How can the police treat this family and this African American child as if he was nothing and his death was nothing?

I remember telling myself I wish that I could go to that mother and give her a hug and stand along side of her, and she is white and I am African American, and tell her her child wasn't nothing, and I am here to support her.

Well if there is breath in my body, and god is willing I will go to Florida and stand along side that family in support very soon, and show her that We care. This child could have been me, my child, my family or my neighbor. It is time we as a society stand up for racial injustice of our African American youth. We are something, we matter, we cannot just be killed and the police just stand by and say that's one less black man we have to worry about.

March 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  6. Ray Butler

Anderson, when Jeffrey Toobin said that we don't know what happened in the case, so he can't make a judgement on it, I almost came through my television. What else is there to know? It almost sounds as if Mr. Toobin was saying that Trayvon Martin may have been trying to attack George Zimmerman. REALLY?! How would you react if you were walking through a neighborhood, just as Trayvon was doing, and a huge strange man walked up on you with a confrontational attitude? Your first reaction would be to put on a mean face, and to try to scare him away from you, and then run. If Mr. Zimmerman had not approached him as the 911 operator had told him NOT to do so, and let the police handle it, I believe that Trayvon Martin would be alive today. And if Mr. Zimmerman felt that he was being threatened, as he claimed he was, all he had to do was reveal his gun. It's inconceivable that Trayvon would've continued to threaten him after seeing that he was armed. The truth is that it was the fear of skin color associated with a young male wearing a hoody that ignited this tragic incident.

March 20, 2012 at 2:37 am |
  7. DLogan

the guy should go to jail bottomline

March 19, 2012 at 11:12 pm |