February 22nd, 2012

Video: Baby's heartbreaking death in Syria

Graphic video shows the death of a child in Syria, yet the Syrian regime says it only attacks terrorists.

Post by:
Filed under: Keeping Them Honest • Syria
  1. Freddy

I can not disagree with Timothy or Melissa more. This is what news is, this is the reality of the situation, and sometimes it hard to comprehend the destruction and devastation to human life until you see if with your own eyes. I hate that Western reporting is all about filtering information that they feel is ok for consumption. If the news caption was 2 year old boy dies from shrapnel wounds of a bomb, how many of us would quickly just thing "Oh that's sad, another one dies" and move on to the next story. But when you watch it happen, it has a different impact on you. It brings you into the story, and draws emotion from you. And how many of these type of stories goes unreported every day. Something must be done. Now by no means am I saying War, or even the US should intervene, but the international community as a whole should understand the truth of the situation, not just what Syria's regime wants us to believe is happening.

I agree, this was extremely hard to watch, I cried watching this, but I'm glad I did. I hope this needless bloodshed will stop sooner now that video is surfacing of the crisis these people are going through. No human beings deserve this and hopefully I will never have to see another video like this again.

February 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  2. Melissa

I do have to agree with Timothy that was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen on the news...and I worked in news. I've edited footage of children unconscious being rescued out of a home on fire. Never have I watched a child struggle to breath and then die, even in unedited footage that was not meant to be on air. I couldn't sleep last night. I cried for an hour. I have a son that age. It was horrible to watch. Then I was angry that we live in a world where this actually happens. And now I feel powerless. I'm thinking "what the heck was the point of showing us this?" I posted it on my facebook, and only 3 people gave a crap out of the hundreds that are my "friends". I don't understand what we are supposed to do to help this type of violence in Syria (and the world) end. It left me with no understanding of what I can do to help. So now I am just sad and pissed.

February 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  3. John

Absolutely heartbreaking. Time to intervene or just natural law? So hard to decide but this is tragic but it probably happens everyday.

February 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Christine Cartwright

I watched with heartbreak, this coverage last night. Did Ms. Colvin know that showing this to the world would cost her her life? Certainly she must have known it was a possibility. For her death and that of the French photojournalist, to come so quickly after the airing of this video footage could not have been coincidence. I'm angered and waiting for the US government to show that we still fight for the innocent even when it has no strategic or economic value to us.

February 22, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  5. Timothy from Annapolis

Anderson, I saw your "keeping them honest" segment on 360 yesterday about the little Syrian boy who was shown dying from the "You Tube" video. I must say it was the most disturbing thing that the news has ever broadcast to my knowledge. Being that I am a father of a wonderful little boy about the same age, I was shaken to my core! However, I feel that your continuing stories and videos of these extremely sad scenes of violence and the resulting innocent young people dying in High Def cable TV is a bit over the top. I don't know what you are trying to promote by showing it, but you need to quit trying to coax our administration to another "War" no matter how badly you want that story, if that is your goal. You should really think hard about what are your goals in showing graphic images like these. Is it to honestly help people like the family of that little boy who was killed? Really?! Or are you just promoting your own self interests and hopefully increased ratings... I am retired Army, and I am aware that things like this happen all the time, but for you to make sure that those of us who can't do a damn thing about it see it flash across our large flat screens every night before bed, is only promoting the same anger and emotion that causes these conflicts in the first place. Thanks for a long night of sleeplessness and anguish!

February 22, 2012 at 9:07 am |
  6. Linda Ross

Please don't show babies dying anymore with grandmother screaming.

February 22, 2012 at 9:07 am |
  7. Rebecca

Anderson Cooper I love watching your show AC 360 however tonight I was caught off guard and then subsequently locked into the story of the poor 2 year old who passed away from shrapnel injuries. As a mother of two boys, 2 and 6, I was left heartbroken and in tears. I understand the media needs to bring attention to the situation in Syria but I am not sure if showing the loss of a 2 year old's life was appropriate... I pray for healing and peace for all of the families living this nightmare.

February 22, 2012 at 8:12 am |
  8. nick

very hard to watch a 2 year old syrian boy die in my living room last night ,i hope russia and china see this.

February 22, 2012 at 2:34 am |
  9. Jared

I'm torn between helping people who are being exterminated, and helping my own country recover from years of war. Would entering Syria mean another decade of fighting someone else's war? The US can not afford another long, drawn out war, we are broke and will be for many years to come. On the other hand, how can we stand by while innocent women and children are killed? I pray for those in Syria, God help them.

February 22, 2012 at 1:27 am |