December 23rd, 2011

Tonight on AC360: ‘CNN On The Frontlines’

Anderson Cooper recently sat down with eight of CNN's foreign correspondents to talk about their experiences covering the conflicts in the Middle East and the natural disaster that struck Japan–stories that changed the world this year.  Arwa Damon, Matthew Chance, Nic Robertson, Hala Gorani, Ben Wedeman, Sara Sidner, Ivan Watson and Kyung Lah shared their experiences with Anderson, who also recounted his experiences in Egypt while covering the uprising, and in Japan, after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.  These seasoned journalists shared their stories of being attacked and beaten by pro-Mubarak thugs in Egypt; of being virtually imprisoned with other journalists by Moammar Gadhafi's regime; of witnessing the fall of Tripoli; and of dealing with radiation concerns in Japan.  They also talked candidly about how they recover from seeing death and devastation, up close and all too frequently.

It was quite a feat getting them in the same room since they are usually reporting from all over the globe.  It's a fascinating discussion,. Don't miss the full hour when it airs.

Anderson Cooper Special Report:  CNN On the Frontlines airs on Friday, December 23rd at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. eastern.

Post by:
Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Therese Rickman-Bull

Delighted to see Anderson
    bring Arwa, Matthew, Nic, Hala, Ben, Sara, Ivan and Kyung together to recount their memories of the historic events they reported on this year. I, for one, was glued to AC360 every evening, anxious to know what was the latest from Egypt and Lybia. I venture to suggest that if some of them had been able to get into Syria, Bashar Al-Assad would not still be in power. I follow "We Are All Hamza AlKhateeb" on FaceBook. The site constantly posts videos and pictures from cell-phones that show the atrocities that are taking place in Syria, the murders of children of which Hamza was one, the bombing and sniper fire. Check it out please. And here's hoping that some of the courageous eight journalists mentioned above will soon be able to enter Syria and report what Assad does not want the world to know.

December 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Sarah

Thank you so much for this program, for so many reasons, among them: showing the *humans* who are the reporters of these important stories; letting us peek behind the scenes, which helps us better understand the reports we see; and, also very important in this new age of communication, letting us see and hear intelligent, well-spoken people who demonstrate their consummate ability to *listen* to each other - and to do so with clarity and heart. Bravo, all of you!

December 25, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  3. Mario Alejandro Cavuoto Madrid

I watched it was great. i think it helps me as a viewer how to deal and live with all the emotions that go one when all these things are happening. wish Hala did not get cut off in the end. I was really interested in hearing this piece again about how they deal and move on with all they see experience and feel. thanks =)

December 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  4. michael kelly

Great program Anderson! Love to see all those frontline journalists recounting their memories of the arab spring. CNN did a great job in Egypt, Tunisia and Libiya. Also great that you dampened expectations in Bahrain by your low key coverage – that's a great country and those upstarts do not need the fame! Hope your great heroic journalists have a great holiday – keep up the good work Anderson, you are Mr. Impartil!

December 25, 2011 at 1:40 am |
  5. Chris M

I watched it twice. What an incredible show. It shows the human side to the reporters. it was nice to hear the reporter who said that they have breakdowns when it is over. i have felt that way many of times when I was a Police Officer. it just shows that people have a human side. reporters like police officers have to act a certain way to perform their jobs, yet afterwards they feel the human side and respond to it like many other people. I have to admit I am not a big fan of reporters until I watched your show tonight, therefore I would like to congradulate all of the reporters who put theirs lives and their souls on the line everyday to show us the true stories. Have a great holidays to all of you and stay safe.
    Christopher Maier

December 23, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  6. Fiona

What an amazing show! It makes me want to work for CNN. What an amazing profession–to be a true investigative reporter on the front lines. We need to see more of this– breaking down what is happening behind-the-scenes from the people on the front lines. All of these reporters are just so good at what they do. Congratulations on a great year of reporting!

December 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Tim Moffet

.....Love this! Everyone of these reporter's are my (I can't, I just can't say hero. It's so over-used), the person I hope I'd be in the incredible circumstances they've found themselves in. Love Anderson, love all these reporters and I've seen most of their reportage. Programs like this – which show the human's behind wrenching and frightening news stories – is really, really valuable and important. It adds a humanity to a career that must (to be credible) be impartial, yet, these are real people, reporting under great adversity about really dangerous and exciting things. I love programming like this.
    Thanks Anderson. Thanks CNN for creating a show and assembling the panel like this – and letting them be themselves.
    Tim in Vail

December 23, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  8. Chris J

LOL This sounded more like a "Pat ourselves on the back" episode.

December 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |