AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
November 3rd, 2011

Video: Hillary Adams: I finally snapped

Hillary Adams tells Anderson Cooper why she decided to release a tape she made of her father beating her in 2004.

Watch Part I of the interview.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. Jem Brown

I don't condone abuse of any kind, especially child abuse. Hillary was smart enough to commit the crime of internet theft, and smarter to record the pending punishmet by her father. She didn't seem overly handicapped to me. Comparing corporal punishment to the punishment our judicial sytem subjects our children to is a no brainer, corporal punishment teaches there are painful consequences to commiting crimes and violating rules. The verbal abuse was overboard.....

November 7, 2011 at 2:04 am |
  2. JBrown

I do not condone abuse of any nature, especially child abuse. Hillary was smart enough to commit the theft her father accused her of, and even smarter to record the suspected punishment. She doesn't seem handicapped to me. Is it worse for our children to be subjected to corporal punishment, or punishment by our judicial system if they don't learn consequences can be painful?

November 7, 2011 at 1:51 am |
  3. Derek

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way he chose to punish his daughter. She obviously was aware that her actions warranted the belt, otherwise she would not have turned her camera on. All strikes were below the waist and had she just bent over as one does with receiving any type of spanking it would not have seemed as severe. In the end of the video she gets up and walks over to the camera to shut it off with absolutely no sign of being in pain. While the belt I am sure hurt, the screaming she did was not warranted. Unfortunately society has become so over sensitive we are raising a bunch of spoiled kids with no sense of responsibility. It amazes me the kind of attitude the media and the general public has taken towards this video.

November 5, 2011 at 2:46 am |
  4. Marianne Hochman

One thing that was not brought up and not aired. So much focus was on the beating but at the end of the video it looks like he may have grabbed her hair pulling it and whispers all that he wants to do to her then he says to her, "You don't deserve to live here." He does not deserve to be that wonderful girls father. What a horrible thing to say. It is exactly what Dr. Drew talks about making a child feel as if they don't belong or can't trust anyone. She should get an award for bringing this to the public. I hope it creates a positive change for our children. It reminded me so much of those nights when we would all walk on eggshells. Any night is too many.

November 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  5. Linda

I was horrified seeing Hillary's tape and I could not watch more than a minute of it. I am an adult child of an alcoholic in recovery and I could really empathize with her and how she must have felt. I would be amazed if even at 23 she would not be affected by it. Thank you Dr. Drew for expressingly exactly what I feel.

November 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  6. Virginia Kelley PhD

Sorry to see that anyone, i.e. father & his lawyer, would seriously challenge Hillary with a question about why she posted this at this time, as if the answer could make one atom of moral difference in the situation.
    I am sorrier than I can say that this happened to her, but she has done such an important and valuable thing by recording it and putting it out there. In my opinion and experience, both in life and as a mental health professional, this kind of unforgivable abuse in families is commoner than the sexual abuse which receives so much media attention, and often at least as enduringly harmful.
    Insofar as we are so seldom made to see and emotionally experience such scenarios, their victims go unrecognized except by themselves, and very often carry the shame and confusion of the uncared-for-child on into the rest of their lives.

November 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  7. Gordon

As I was watching the video of this beating, it was as if I was reliving that exact same treatment, at the hands of my own mother, all over again. She would start beating me with the belt, and whatever got hit: It was like: Oh well! That part of my body shouldn't have gotten in the way.

November 4, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  8. jmlboise

I hate to see Hillary Adams being questioned about her motives for releasing the video footage of her beating. Should it *really* matter!? Watching this footage was disturbing and regardless of her "motives", what he did was child abuse, period. I hope her father is removed from his role as a family court judge.

November 4, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  9. Remford

In NO way do I condone Judge Adams' use of corporal punishment at a time when he didn't seem to be fully rational, but the impression these interview videos make upon me is one of a spoiled, entitled, and resentful child who may have attempted to extort her father's continued indulgence and is now finding herself caught-up in something that grew beyond her control.

November 4, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  10. Nan

One thing that troubles me, besides the video of the beating of course, is the lack of emotion from Hillary Adams. I hope she's in therapy.

November 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Robert Joyner

I grew up in the 1950's and 60's with parents who were abusive. In that era it was generally acceptable that parents could take almost any measures for disipline. At the earliest age possible I left home and never again had any communications with my parents.. Those (mental) scars from childhood have lasted a lifetime. To this day I have never felt any love for my biological parents. That video shows the horror of physical and mental abuse that all too often has occured and continues to occur throughout the country. Kids are not whipping posts.

I understand and can fully support whatever actions Hillary has or may take. Parents can be so cruel to those that they should love the most.

November 3, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  12. David Justin Lynch

This video is a strong argument to make ALL corporal punishment of ANYONE absolutely illegal under any circumstances. There is no place for this conduct in a civilized society. The only mistake Hilary made was not releasing this video to law enforcement 2 years earlier which would permit prosecution of this so-called Judge. He is an absolute disgrace to the legal profession. I am a lawyer myself and am embarrassed that this man was part of the legal system. He needs to be kicked off the bench immediately.

November 3, 2011 at 10:12 pm |