AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
Tonight on AC360: Michael Moore
Michael Moore speaks to protesters affiliated with the Occupy Wall Street movement on Oct. 5, 2011. Photo credit: Getty Images
October 28th, 2011

Tonight on AC360: Michael Moore

Last night on AC360°, Peter Schiff , CEO of the brokerage firm Euro Pacific Capital, and Princeton University Professor Cornel West had a spirited discussion about the Occupy Wall Street movement, and the wealth gap in the U.S. Tonight at 8 p.m. ET, we’ll continue the discussion when Michael Moore joins the program from the "Occupy Oakland" protests. He’s been an outspoken defender of the demonstrations. Read an excerpt from his latest blog and tell us if you agree with him. What questions do you have for Moore?

I do very well - and for a documentary filmmaker, I do extremely well. That, too, drives conservatives bonkers. "You're rich because of capitalism!" they scream at me. Um, no. Didn't you take Econ 101? Capitalism is a system, a pyramid scheme of sorts, that exploits the vast majority so that the few at the top can enrich themselves more. I make my money the old school, honest way by making things. Some years I earn a boatload of cash. Other years, like last year, I don't have a job (no movie, no book) and so I make a lot less. "How can you claim to be for the poor when you are the opposite of poor?!" It's like asking: "You've never had sex with another man - how can you be for gay marriage?!" I guess the same way that an all-male Congress voted to give women the vote, or scores of white people marched with Martin Luther Ling, Jr. (I can hear these righties yelling back through history: "Hey! You're not black! You're not being lynched! Why are you with the blacks?!"). It is precisely this disconnect that prevents Republicans from understanding why anyone would give of their time or money to help out those less fortunate. It is simply something their brain cannot process. "Kanye West makes millions! What's he doing at Occupy Wall Street?!" Exactly - he's down there demanding that his taxes be raised. That, to a right-winger, is the definition of insanity. To everyone else, we are grateful that people like him stand up, even if and especially because it is against his own personal financial interest. It is specifically what that Bible those conservatives wave around demands of those who are well off.

1. Daniel

Peter Schiff says he is willing to go on AC360 with Micheal Moore... let's do it!

October 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  2. Mary G

Anderson, this is the best interview you have had recently. You let Michael Moore talk and didn't interupt with leading questions about things you wanted to have said. The debate the night before with Cornell West was also with little interuption.
    Need to get rid of Ridiculist.

October 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  3. M. Rossow

I pray that today's Congress is sent home at the next election. Michael Moore is absolutely right about the state of the American dream going awry. Why have the crooks on Wall Street not been required to pay back our tax money? or charged with a crime? President Obama needs to take charge in this matter and do something about the state of this corrupt union. Why did the Supreme Court allow campaign donations by corporations? Our politicians have been bought and paid for by Wall Street. Wall Street is the bad seed and change is coming, for sure. Let us all join the movement.

October 29, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  4. reg dahl

Micheal Moore,
    Any body can make documentaries! Any body can label people! Any body can spew out their opinion even if theirs is not their own.
    The role that you are playing (documentaries) has nothing to do with building( just destructive propaganda). The big lie about the righties( your label) is an attack on Americans who believe in their country and your own country. However you make a lot of money from your label and your lies so why not?
    Make it for as long as it will last because you are enmeshed in your own lies and deceit and you promote your agenda to keep the bucks coming in. The irony (truth) here is that the crooked politicians you talk about behave and act just like you, and it doesn't matter whether they're left or right.
    The bottom line is that the USA will go down with you and your groupies. Have a nice day!
    RRDahl

October 29, 2011 at 9:34 am |
  5. jb

WOW! I just watched the interview with Michael Moore. I believe in the goals he is trying to accomplish but his approach couldn't be more off base. I am a small business entrepreneur, have employees, and we ARE the most competitive business out there. However, our business is barred from competing with the larger corporations that offshore jobs BECAUSE of government regulations. My approach: remove the barriers of small businesses to compete with the big boys and you will see a dramatic difference in YOUR finances. If we can't compete with the big boys, we can't keep them in check!!! DON'T leave it up to government favors with large corporations to determine your future ... leave it up to the many small businesses that are HUNGRY to take them down through CAPITALISM !!!

October 29, 2011 at 2:05 am |
  6. Allison from IL

Why does Anderson Cooper keep asking about the responsibility of the people? He asked Peter Schiff Thursday if they were to blame, & he asked again during an interview Friday, emphatically. Is he asking if they share PART of the blame or ALL of the blame? I think that should be clarified so people don't get confused about his intent.

October 29, 2011 at 2:04 am |
  7. T. Beth

Michael Moore is an opportunist. He further instigates social movements for his own financial gain.
    What we can learn from this interview is that OWS in big part is a protest against Capitalism. He and the protesters standing with him blame Goldmann but apparently have no problem with past highly paid Goldmann employees now being employed by the White House and being paid with our tax dollars. The President sides with OWS protests yet hires these highly paid "Capitalists", therefore, he is a hypocrite. The President has and is currently taking huge donations from these Capitalists , so it further makes him a hypocrite. Right?
    Michael Moore is in the top 1%, he is a hypocrite. Lets get it right.

October 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Millard Mott

I would love to see an extend (one hour) debate about capitalism in 2011. Great start tonite with Michael Moore, Cornell West and Peter Scheff. THis is the first time since the 1960's that we've come close to questioning whether King Capitalism has clothes. Very important debate. THis may be one for Piers Morgan.

October 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  9. Shaun

Iam tired.... I m tired of the Michael Moore types blaming Wall Street. I am tired of the GOP types blaming government. The truth, the real truth of the matter is we are ALL to blame. The government is to blame, for creating polices that tried to push all Americans into homes. This goes back to the Clinton area and was also pushed by the W. Bush government. The banks are to blame for being overreaching for selling subprime mortgages to people who they knew did not deserve them and people who they knew were speculating. Last but not least WE the American people are to blame because we were just as greedy as the banks looking for our homes to appreciate at rates that were not sustainable or just plan preposterous. The bank bail outs were because of the toxic assets right? Those assets were OUR loans so we took them out the government took OUR bad decisions and put them on the governments books. Just like a parent paying off a reckless college students credit card debt. ALL of us CEO's, mortgage brokers, homeowners with the expectation of homes being a piggy bank or doubling in value like a IPO in some company, Government regulators, policy makers, credit card companies, who suggest consolidating your debt into a refinance, all of us are to blame. Stop blaming and start fixing.

October 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  10. Tom

I always have watched your show AC360. At the time you are CNN with the AC360 on Fox is the O’Reilly show. I never watched him; he is too much of a comedian to me. But honestly since you are getting involved and taking side with the Occupy Wall Street protesters, and now having Michael Moore on your show, I am sorry to tell you but I better watch the O’Reilly comedy show then you. You are taking sides and I cannot consider you a mainstream media any more. Your show is turning to a O’Reilly show and it is difficult for me to except this after all this year watching your show . I better watch the O’Reilly that I know what I will get then except the fact that your show is not a neutral one. SORRY I am out

October 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  11. anne m szymanski

I did not see Michael Moore's above comments prior to posting. As for last year when Michael Moore "unfortunately" made less money, he DID NOT HAVE TO WORK TO HAVE HIS USUAL STANDARD OF LIVING. That is untrue of people who are not independently wealthy. Kanye West wants the government to raise his taxes? What is stopping him? Excuse me, but I think this is a case of severe hypocrisy.

October 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  12. Greg

Michael Moore and Anderson Cooper almost hit the nail on the head by paraphrasing the great poet wolfgang goete who said: "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free". This is our poltical and economical problem these days,.

October 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  13. anne m szymanski

Anderson, Why didn't you ask Michael Moore to explain how he can condemn capitalistism that has allowed him to be part of the 1% as a result of the books and movies he sells?

October 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  14. Gretchen

Anderson, it's quite ironic that the police are using brute force against peaceful protest.Police Officers and Firefighters are apart of the 99% who should stand with the occupy wall street people.If Congress don't pass the jobs bill that would mean a lot of first responders will be without a job.I think this movement is very serious,because most americans feel this way.

October 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  15. Nina Fox

Capitalism per se is not the problem. Its the corruption within the capitalism context is the problem. Such as inside trading, etc.

October 28, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  16. Fern C. Burr

AC, I'm the woman who was having the discussion with Mr. Schiff at OWS, in the video clip you featured yesterday. I went there to see what was going on, and to talk to some OWS supporters. I stumbled across Mr. Schiff with his "I AM IN THE 1%" sign, and I just didn't like what he was saying to the people there, or the way he was saying it. I do defend his right to participate in the discussion.

In the longer 20 minute + or – version of the same interview, near the end, there is a soft spoken woman who says, to Mr. Schiff (and I'm paraphrasing) that she is also in the 1%, but disagrees with him, and she thinks that others in the 1% disagree also. AC, I think you should show that too. It's powerful, in a quiet way.

I agree with what Dr. West said last night. He put the emphasis where it needs to be – on the injustice and inequality. We need an environment based on cooperation and not on Greed.

Michael, I totally agree with what you're saying. What you describe is what I meant when I said we all have a "Contract with Society". Like you, sometimes there are years that I make more money, and some years I make less. If I made a LOT of money, I would be fine paying more taxes, in order to help others.

Thanks Michael, for speaking out. I am grateful to you. Please don't stop. I think that one of the things the movement needs is more people speaking out in the mainstream media, like this.

Thanks AC, for featuring people like Dr. West, and Michael Moore.

October 28, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  17. william yancer

why dont the occuriers go and picked congress. they hold all the cards, whereas the congress makes the laws, to control wall street corp. who in turns give them campaign funds. same old, same old.....

October 28, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  18. Stan

I think all this talk the politicians have about making America competitive again is code for "let's drive down wages to the extent that our wages are the same as those in China and other places pay next to nothing, so we can save on transportation costs, because we're not making enough profit, let's eliminate the shipping costs!". To an uber Capitalist, no amount of profit and no amount of harm to those who are not uber rich is too much. Remember when the banks had an "interest", pardon the pun, in their customers... you know, the little people, the average person... today we're a product to be pushed around and used as chum in the ocean for the financial sharks to consume.

October 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  19. Tim Heinrich

I find it somewhat hypocritical that Michael Moore cozies up and supports the OWS movement, yet he is definitely a part of the 1% that this movement despises and he won`t admit that. Why?
    Also, organized labor supports theOWS movement does Mr. Moore use union labor in filming his documentaries? Teamsters for drivers, union tradesmen for lighting and electrical, as well as riggers?

October 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  20. Sarah

I have question for Michael Moore - : Do you consider himself one of the wealthy 1%? How do you feel about being taxed more?

October 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  21. Marta

candidate Herman Cain does not look, sound, speak, or behave like a presidential candidate. he promotes lung cancer, and behave's more like a mobster. does the U.S reaaly need someone like him. we are in enough trouble as it is.

October 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm |