Bullying: It Stops Here
October 5th, 2011

Bullying: It Stops Here

CNN, Facebook, Cartoon Network and Time Inc. have teamed up for a special multi-platform effort aimed at taking a stand to help stop the bullying crisis. Tune in to Anderson's town hall “Bullying: It Stops Here” on Friday, October 14 at 8 and 10 p.m. ET, and the special week-long series leading up to it.

Join the conversation by leaving your thoughts, stories and messages in a comment below. Follow @AndersonCooper and @AC360 and use hashtag "#stopbullying" on Twitter.

If you or someone you know is experiencing bullying or harassment, please reach out for help. Here are some organizations that can assist you:

Suicide Prevention Lifeline

The Trevor Project

Pacer Center

Find out more about the AC360° initiative, Anderson's town hall and what experts think about the critical bullying problem:

AC360° study: Schoolyard bullies not just preying on the weak

Bullying study infographic

Who would Peter be today?

Take the Stop Bullying: Speak Up pledge

Behind the scenes at Anderson's town hall

Witness to bullying

Fighting bullying through film

A school that promotes LGBT equality

Bullied students sue over controversial policy

Bullying solutions

The battle to end bullying

What adults need to know to end bullying

These teens stood up to bullies

The reason children become bullies

Bullying: It stops here snapshots

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Bullying
  1. grace jones

Nov 4, 2012 – I watched (BULLYING STOPS HERE) tonight and it seem to me that it is the bullies that should be questioned. We should listen to them and find t WHY they do the bullying.

November 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  2. Stella

I am a school administrator. Bullying is one thing we do not tolerate at NSCS. Although NSCS is an elementary school, we know that if given early intervention, bullying should not happen on our buses to and from school or on campus. We make it a serious offence if a child is bullying another child at our school. Our students are told from day one that " My staff and I are in charge as soon as our students step out of their doors, onto the bus and onto the campus every morning and at night their parents are on duty when they step into their individual houses". In this way no matter where the bullying may ocure, our students will have to answer to an adult. It is working so far.

November 23, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
  3. Debra Kelly

I wish it had been un-PC to bully in the 60's and the 70's when I was in school. Unfortunately, it was considered a rite of passage for those of us judged "inferior" by the popular kids. To this day, I'd love to be able to do time travel and have some "quality time" with the demons who made my life a living hell as I grew up.

October 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  4. Elizabeth V

I know how being bullied is. I am in that position right now at school. Sometime bullies look for the easy ones to catch and hurt! Many bullies should open their eyes and see what we r going threw! Once it hits the person thats being bullied they always want to hurt themselves because they are sick of hearing things that are not true! I think when people get bullied they always want to stand for themselves but, we are just scared that we might get beat up the next day! I had people looking out for me but sometimes iI just want to move schools! If you think about it.. It's really hard because then your going to be the new kid that they are going to pick on!

October 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  5. LiPi

Thank you for touching on the fact that the same students that are claiming to be victims of bullying are also the ones that are being viewed as bullies as well. As a teacher, I see so many students that are not only the victims of bullying but the aggressors as well. What an excellent documentary and study you have done! It needs to be brought to light because many kids are finding themselves in the position of wanting to fit in and will fight to do so whether it be at the expense of someone else or not.

October 10, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Donovan

This is awesome reporting!!! Congrats and thank you!

October 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  7. Heather

From the bottom of my heart, Thank You for doing this. As the study recently released by CNN/A.C.360 confirmed– I was, at certain times, both the bully and the victim. In 5th grade my friends and I ganged up on another girl who obviously had it rough at home. Well, I got it back, tenfold. In 8th grade, after being repeatedly threatened by the popular kids, kicked and punched when the gym teacher wasn't looking– I called the school pretending to be my mom & said, "My daughter is sick." Then I hid in the basement until my mom left for work. When my mom called the school to check on me, they reported me as "missing" / "kidnapped." I can only imAGine what it's like in 2011, with social media making bullying an inescapable 24/7 phenomenon. "Sticks and stones..." – that's CRAP. "Words, like violence, break the silence, and come crashing in– into my little world." If any parent out there seeks a greater understanding of what it feels like to be bullied every day, terrified to step out your front door– google Sia's song, "Breathe Me." That song says more than I ever could...

October 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  8. Nicole

First it is unrealistic for the ones that are being bullied to speak up. The retaliations is sometimes worse than the initial bullying. SECOND, we need to take out the word "Bullying" IT is associated with "an everyday growing up thing" It is so not like that anymore and everyone needs to know it’s a form of harassment. I have a counseling credential and going back for my Ed Psycho degree. Not to mention a 15 year old that left regular HS at 15 to be home schooled by what happened to her. She ended up with a concussion, black eye and 4 stitches right below her eye. The school knew, parents, and police but it continued until I took her out of school. I have a lot to say on this matter and would love the opportunity to pass on what I think and responsibilites of everyone involved. It just keeps escalting and no one is taking responsibility for thier part. It's just not the child that gets bullied or the one that bullies. It's all of us. How do we expect our children to stop if our politcal figures, stars, movies people that our kids look up to do the same. It has to stop at the top and parents need to take responsibility for what is happening in their home.

October 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  9. bajaj29

Unfortunately, bullying is one of those things that will not stop no matter what we do. Some of my family members have gone experienced discrimination and bullying from people who are merciless and definitely not empathetic. I come from a Sikh family and had brothers who were bullied in school because of their turbans and long hair. Their cars were keyed and broken into or the air from the tires was taken out at school. As much as I want to be optimistic about this issue, every nerve in my body tells me that bullying and discrimination will continue being one of the most dangerous weapons within mankind.

October 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  10. Brian

Unfortunately, bullying is being portrayed as acceptable behavior on television. Most recently, David Letterman referring to Governor Chris Christie as being a "fat boy" may have been funny to some adults however, this behavior will be modeled by young children seeking a laugh at another persons expense.

October 10, 2011 at 11:45 am |