September 22nd, 2011

Video: UnGodly Discipline: Part 3

Editor's Note: Gary Tuchman explores allegations of child abuse at a fundamentalist baptist school in Indiana.

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Gary Tuchman
  1. raquelgwill

This church has now extended a branch here in Belize, Central America. Belize City has a church named ' Independent Baptist Church'. My mom and sister have been attending this church and they have changed a whole lot. They believed that beating a child is right and that their child does not have any freedom. I suspect that it is more of a cult, the pastor has control over his congregation. Since my mom and sister have been attending to this church, they have turned away from me and my siblings. I have heard stories about this church and it was notified to me that this is a branch from Fair Heaven Baptist Church, the same man that abuses children. This must comes to a stop before he continues to extend across the region.

May 31, 2017 at 8:27 pm |
  2. Chrissy

I attended Fairhaven Summer Day Camp in 79, 80 and 81. I LOVED every minute of it. I never got paddled because I followed the rules. I did know others that did get paddled…paddled….not abused. I learned a lot by going there. Yes, it was strict, but I learned obedience. I learned to honor the body and mind that God gave me with exercise, I have many ribbons from the weekly sports activities, as well as from Bible study. There was a field trip every week to places like the Sears Tower, the Chicago Zoo and Wrigley Field for a ball game. I have nothing but fond memories of my summer's at Fairhaven. I would have continued to attend had we not moved out of state.

June 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  3. Dwayne Walker

Everybody I know who was brutalized like this in IFB schools usually add one more twist to the story. After they were beaten, and the blood flowing from their skin, whoever was administering the abuse suddenly acted all compassionate and said, "Let's pray that God will forgive you."

September 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  4. Jesus Gonzalez

Mr. Cooper,

I first want to tell you what a great story regarding UnGodly Discipline> You have only uncovered the tip of the iceberg. The pastor of that church is a liar. He professes his stances on the bible. You need to dig into his unbiblical stances. He preaches hate towards any other Christian religion such as Catholics and Jewish. He is a very evil man and my sister who attended the school witness the adopted son having to wear a dress. My nephew David was on last night segment and I have personally witness the brain washing and the dividing of the family. Very evil organization that is nothing but a business. In any other religious organization the deacons or elders have a says so not in this one. You need to keep going on this as you will uncover one of the most evil organization in this country that promote violence. They are the Christian version of Al Queda. His followers hold this man higher than God and would kill for him. Please continue to look into this.

September 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  5. Keith Cogburn

Always an embarrassment for true Christians to hear stories like this. Feel very sorry for those mistreated by these cruel and twisted adults.

September 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  6. Renee Chelchowski

Thank you for your UnGodly discipline investigation report. I recently married someone who attended that church for many years. He always refers to the church as a cult, because they made it so hard to leave. His children who are in thier 20's are scarred by the pastor's harsh punishment and often in front of the congregation. I strongly feel that they are practicing child abuse and should be further looked into. Will the FBI not conduct an investigation on this? They should be able to confiscate the live tapings of his sermons where he demands beatings or your are "Not right with God". There are so many other troubling stories that I have been told about the operations of this church. He takes the term Fundimental Baptist to a whole other level!! Please continue to investigate this man!!

September 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  7. Ann

Gary Tuchman was the right reporter for ungodly discipline, when adults can abuse children in the name of god & not be held accountable,that's wrong. these people & others like them have been brain washed by the bible. The reason we have war, the reason for mental illness,child abuse. You can link it to the bible . The bible is a fairy tale we'll nevehave a healthy mind until it's allowed to be proven

September 23, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  8. Maya Randy

As a former student of Fairhaven Baptist College, I loved the story that aired last night. The accounts by the former students are all true. I was there and saw many horrible things. I wish they would have explored a little more and talked about the sexual abuse that happened there. When one of the teachers (History of Civilization) was caught sexually abusing students. The school send him away and did nothing about it. After a few years later, he returned and married another college teacher. It definitely was a cult. I still have nightmares that I am trapped there with no way out. Glad these students shed some light on the issues and the secrets that Fairhaven has been hiding for years.

September 23, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  9. Tim

Finding former member who are disgruntled? It's neither original nor compelling. Show me a Church or school that doesn't have disgruntled members.

September 23, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  10. Jeffery Scott Hady

I was forced to attended Fairhaven from 1974 to 1978 before i escaped. I was beaten meany times and wittness many more.Roger lies his ass off and should be on deathrow for what he did to me and countless other kid over the last 40 plus years. His son Frank was not liing this was a common practise of Roger the beatings and the torture. He prays on the weak minded adults and tears their families apart in the name of God.

September 23, 2011 at 12:35 am |
  11. shirley radusin

I worked at Porter Memorial. Hosp. during the late 70's.At point we had a young man who was admitted and the staff of Fairhaven requested a private security room for him. They day the preachers came to speak to him the young man jumped through the window to escape from them. We had heard claims of brainwashing and abuse back then. No one knew how to handle the situation, he was a ward of Fairhaven.

September 22, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  12. Bryan Makishi

Re: UnGodly Discipline Part 3. Sad and sobering. Thank you to all of those victimized by the Academy for refusing to be silent.

September 22, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  13. Annie

Anderson and Gary,
    Thank you for doing these reports on "faith based" facilities for youth. This abuse is happening in countless facilities throughout the United States and must be exposed and stopped. Please keep reporting these stories we have to help the kids in these facilities now!

September 22, 2011 at 10:45 pm |