HPV Controversy: Join the Live Chat
September 13th, 2011

HPV Controversy: Join the Live Chat

In yesterday's debate, Michele Bachmann challenged Gov. Rick Perry on his 2007 executive order that required Texas schoolgirls to receive vaccinations against the sexually transmitted HPV virus, Bachmann suggested the governor acted for purely political reasons. What's the real story?

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night!! I am so sleepy!

September 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow, Anderson......
    They are heroes in my book to lift heavy car he was underneath!!!!!!!!!! They are amazing people I have seen!!!! I am glad he is stable condition or okay!!!!

Good night Anderson, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you on Thursday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist Jon Hustman , LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! I agree with you, I love his funny expression face!!!!!! LOL!!! He is right! 🙂

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you on Thursday night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

September 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

September 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  4. Janis

Makes you proud for all those good samaritans that saved the motorcyclist. They turned a very bad situation around.
    Hope we'll hear more about them in the future.

Goodnight everyone. Loved your new show Anderson. Love AC360 too – getting a double dose weekdays now, lucky us!

September 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  5. Paula, Colorado

Great to see the Ridiculist back tonight.

September 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you and good night Anderson & Team 360.

Good night fellow witers. As always i wish you all a safe & peaceful day tomorrow.
    I heard someone say last night on CNN, after the debate, that Huntsman need to develop a sense of humor. Can't wait for Anderson's "take" on this on the Ridiculist! My favorite sgement!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  7. BettyAnn,TX

Huntsman needs some advice. I like him. Good night! I love you guys! XO

September 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  8. molly

It was a lovely act of group compassion!

September 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  9. BettyAnn,TX

WoW that is the American way! Love the way strangers pull together in a disaster! High five! ( that was for you Anderson) haha

September 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  10. vic , nashville ,tn

Gary Tuchman and Drew Griffin are great reporters I always like their work

September 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  11. lisal -canada

the car-rescue clip is pretty amazing

September 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Communities are wonderful!

September 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  13. BettyAnn,TX

There are a lot of crimes known by people through witness or confession. many don't want to take the high risk. Scary~! Ask Perry about the gang activity in TX. it's not good.

September 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty,
      I agree with you....... Not good news for me to hear what he have done!

September 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Chris

It's no worse than Obama's state of Illinois. Some people just don't care for Republicans and that's absolutely their choice.

September 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We also want families to stay together.

September 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
    • BettyAnn,TX

Yes we do Gloria! Good point!

September 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  15. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Trust Gary T. to find such an interesting report!

How can the gov. be willing to split up the family & put the mother & son in such danger!

Thank God for Jeff Toobin! If he finds it an outrage, then i believe it is one too! This is Not an illegal immigration issue!

I agree Anderson, Trust in the Gov. is suspect in this case at least.

September 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      I agree all of your comment, You are so absolutely right!

September 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  16. Janis

Good evening everyone.

Regarding the GOP debate – I still couldn't see a good candidate during the debate. There may be some good candidates up on the podium but they are being drowned out media-wise by good-looking, charismatic truth-benders that are not presidential material. Maybe that's what they are trying to do – get candidantes that attract the media, forget what credientials, integrity, or knowledge they have.

September 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree with you Janis. The only monderate would appear to be Huntsman.

But now that he is on the Rediculist, i have doubts about him as a candidate (smile)

September 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Chris

Well, that certainly sounds familiar!

September 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  17. vic , nashville ,tn

Please don’t separate the family US Government must act on their promise

September 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  18. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I hope & pray that the hikers in Iran will be set free ASAP.

Glow-in – the- dark kitties. I hope they will find good homes. I would adopt one, even thought it would be a little disconcerting at first.

I saw the upcoming rescue of the biker under the car. Truly remarkable and courageous of those people to rescue him! It is good to the good people who worked together to save a life! I wish All people would be that way.

September 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

When you think about it, this kind of focus, courage would be good to come from our Congress to save our county right now! I gues i'm just wishful thinking.

September 13, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I love so cute glow cat!!!!!!!!!!! It is so amazing glow I have seen this!!!!! 🙂

September 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  20. Paula, Colorado

Weird cats.

September 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

Good discussion with Thomas Friedman, Anderson–especially after the weak exchange between the Republican candidates.

September 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  22. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He had the wrong crowd.

September 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  23. scott

Did everyone over look that the FDA approved Gardasil for use in females ages 9 – 26in June 8, 2006?

September 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Rebecca Woodbury

Scott... and who was President at that time ? Of course it was 'put the money in my pocket or my friends pocket' – Bush. He allowed so many evil things to happen during his presidency.

September 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
      • Cathy

The President had nothing to do with the approval of Gardasil for that age group. At that age, the body is prime for immunity and also it may be pointless to vaccinate once a female (and now male) has had sex.

September 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Scott,
      Yes or no........ They don't approved few years back.......... I don't know if they approve this as well.

September 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Yes!!!! I think You are so absolutely right, All candidates doesn't know how many numbers are....... I am so shocked they were talking being vaccine cancer........ We do something to help all women take shot!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  25. Rebecca Woodbury

I'm an RN and retired as an Occupational Health Nurse that specialized in Communicable Diseases. I dislike Bachman to the nth degree... but if she had done a little more research she would have read just how dangerous that vaccine is... it should not be mandatory. The drug companies have to many people in their pockets and Perry is one of them. Get a copy of the side effects and make an informed decision. Hepatitis B is also another vaccine the drug companies push on children. Why do they need to be protected from a blood borne pathogen ? They don't unless they are sharing needles... etc. The drug companies are dangerous in so many ways.

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Courtney

As a Pediatric Nurse, it is irresponsible to not vaccinate children against communicable diseases. The HPV vaccine should most definitely be voluntary and after the consumer does research. It has the potential to save many lives from cervical cancer but, just like all medications and vaccines, does not come without risk. The consumers only need to ask themselves if, for themselves, the benefits outweigh the risks. People forget that you are your own advocate when it comes to healthcare. If you are unsure of something, do your own research. Do not just listen to what others tell you. Make an informed decision.

September 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
      • Jen

Totally agree with you!! This is not a disease that is caught like the flu. Therefore, it should be optional.

September 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Chris

Perhaps we should research hepatitis B. Do you have any idea how long that virus can live anywhere, not in blood, but on your desk, sink, counter, lunch box. And Anderson said, hep b is often sexually transmitted as well. The hep B vaccine has proven to be very effective.

September 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  26. vic , nashville ,tn

Small government, balance budget, cut spending Ron Paul ideas but he was booed last night when he was talking about spending cut I was shocked I don’t know what tea party wants to cut

September 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  27. Tony, CT

Let's keep it honest Anderson, I don't think the Congresswoman objects to mandating vaccinations as you pointed out in your program tonight, but rather objects to one person mandating the use of a vaccination on little girls to prevent a duisease that is contracted solely by a sexual encounter. My wife is an OB/GYN and she recommends that girls get the vaccination in her practice, but to mandate it is just wrong. Parents and girls should make informed decisions without being told by their Governor that this vaccination is required.

September 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Chris

Required with an opt out we should keep in mind.

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Jen

Totally agree!!! Informed consent, not mandated.

September 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • Carla

Good point. And I am for less governement – which would also mean not mandating what vaccines I take. Should not be opt out – should be opt in – as it is. To say that – I would support the vaccine – as my choice.

September 13, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
      • Cathy

"Oh what a wonderful world" if we could count on Everyone educating themselves on all the facts and consequently make an intelligent decision. There is no chance of that ever happening. The HPV virus is a difficult issue to understand. How many know which HPV viruses are responsible for cancer? We let emotion take over too often.

September 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
        • Carla

This is why I watch AC360. Despite all the differences we all have – Anderson always shares news of people coming together as well. Others focus only on the drama – so proud to see this news of people sharing a common goal and saving a mans life.

September 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Rebecca Woodbury

And I bet your wife also accepts gifts from Drug Reps and I bet they even supply her office with free meals when they visit. Most doctors do push the meds that reps give them. They also need to be held accountable.

September 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  28. BettyAnn,TX

I feel the same way about Perry as I did Bush. You all do not want him for President!

September 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Perry seems to be even more conservative and "slick" than Bush.

Neither of them got or will get my vote.

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
      • Cathy

I truly am an independent currently supporting no candidate. However, I do not find him slick. He just calls it as he says it. I like that he does not back down on anything he has said.

September 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
      • vic , nashville ,tn

Rick Perry is typical politician

September 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  29. Joshua Wertheim

I am 57 years old. I remember politics going back to 1960 when my mother supported Kennedy while my dad supported Nixon, so I grew up hearing both sides. In my entire life I have never heard a more absurd and despicable candidate running for President than Michelle Bachmann (with the possible exception of Barry Goldwater, who wanted to nuke everybody). I also study history, so I think I am qualified to say this: anybody who is even thinking about voting for her needs mental help. She is a caricature of a candidate. She is dangerous. She can't even speak well, she sounds extremely disturbed and she obviously is. And she is a member of the United States House of Representatives! How embarrasing is THAT to the rest of the world? Americans actually voted her in – her opponent must have been a gargoyle or something. CNN – Please stop giving her any attention whatsoever, she needs to be marginalized and any time you mention her name, an imbalanced voter might actually think she's viable and vote for her. Thank you.

September 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Enjoyed your post Joshua. I agree she is "dangerous" because her level of knowledge is seriously lacking!

September 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

I agree with you some time polls asked a question “ is country going on wrong direction” My answer is yes because Michele Bachmann member of US congress

September 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  30. BettyAnn,TX

Ah yes Anderson, us texans know a lot more $$$$ than 5k was received by Perry. A lot I am sure.

September 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Chris

Welcome back. The facts suggest Texas likes him.

September 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

Not this Texan!

September 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Agree BettyAnn re: Perry supporters.

As a neighbor in NM, we get a lot of Texans who come to visit. To hear it from many of them and other sources, Perry is not nearly as liked as many people may thing.
      Also, as his record as Governor emerges, i suspect many others will not like his record either.

September 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

I really do not think he would have won the last election if the unpopular Houston Mayor was not running against him. I voted for the Mayor anywho. Geez~ You are so right! Texans just had to "settle"

September 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  31. Mike - Las Vegas

I think what Bachmann meant was that she, Michele Bachmann developed mental retardation after talking to a tea partier. She wouldn't know the truth if it bit her in the butt. What a loon!

September 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point exactly, Mike!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Jen

I've heard numerous and numerous stories of sever side effect from the vaccine. There is even a support group in my town. While no one did a study yet on it to prove it......it worrys me because the drug is soooo new and no long-term studies have been done to prove anything either way. My daughter should not be one of the unfortunate severe side effects that was ignored simply because it did not fit the facts.

September 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Matt - Riverside

I'm only a senior in high school and can promise you that even our most right-winged religious "righteous" ids at our school think she's a cook.

September 13, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  32. Jen

HPV vaccine should NOT be mandatory. HPV can be prevented by other means, and forcing a vaccine is not the way. It should be optional. Also, the drug is too new. Sometimes full side effects are not seen for years and years and years. I would not want my daughter forced to take a new vaccine when the disease it prevents can be prevented in other ways.

September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Chris

What are those other ways and how realistic are they?

September 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Mark

What are some other ways to "prevent" cancer?

September 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  33. BettyAnn,TX

Hello 360 bloggers! Don't get me wrong, I am not a Perry supporter but a vaccine to prevent cancer will always be supported by many. I am one of those! We give our children other vaccines to protect them, why not prevent against cancer. FYI: The word "cancer" was used way too much in the debate last night.

September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Jen

It should be optional. HPV can be prevented by other means. Everyone should have the choice, not forced.

September 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

I know some teenages who have died from Cervical cancer who would be here now if they had taken the vaccine. Please give me any cancer vaccination I can get. I have seen the suffering!

September 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
        • Jen

I'm not saying that the vaccine will not work..but it should not be forced. Option is best.

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
          • Chris

Opting out is always a choice.

September 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Betty,
      Good point, my friend!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

Thanks Megan! 🙂

September 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Chris

I agree. There are very, very few reliable ways if any to prevent the cancer-causing HPV virus.

September 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  34. molly

What's in question is the attempt to make the vaccine a required immunization for children instead of a choice. The "opt-out" should have been a mute point.

September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  35. Chris

Who would profit other than the drug company? Is she on the Merck board?

September 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  36. vic , nashville ,tn

Michele Bachmann always like that she never do the home work remember she gave wrong numbers about president trip to India

September 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

If Perry can't be bought for $5000, how much can he be bought for? No state should be allowed to Mandate such vaccinations, the parents should decide! In terms of infant & toddler vaccines, i believe most of those should be considered necessary to risk the child becoming ill, or making other children ill who many not have received pre-school vaccines.

Ms. Bachman, as usual, does Not know a thing about what she was talking about re: injection. Apparently, she does not feel she needs to research Anythings she said.

September 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Exactly right, Starr!!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Totally I agree with you

September 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  38. Chris

Anderson, to add fair balance, perhaps present contributions by Merck and other drug companies to all candidates. Don't think you will find many differences among parties.

September 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  39. Saray

He is dumb for saying 5K can't buy him. She is dumb for not asking how much can buy him.

September 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Saray,
      Good point!!!!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

My thoughts exactly Saray! You said it better than i could.

September 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

I agree Starr! FYI: no fires in TX out of control right now. Still very parched. Stay tuned! Hope you are well my friend!xoxo

September 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

So Very relieved for you BettyAnn. Like i said, we had the fires st Sandia Labs & surrounding area. The smoke was thick and i had a to-go bag & all pets needs by the door to get out of here ASAP if necessary.

Very pleased to hear you remain safe for now. I'm still praying for rain for Texas!

September 13, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Chris

Her asking that question would have made her look even dumber.

September 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  40. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening everyone

September 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  41. Saray

Is it me or are these people getting more extreme by the day. I mean what has happened to civility. The fact that none of them said they would help 30 year old on death bed only cuz he didn't get insurance is distrubing.

September 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree with you again. Disturbing indeed. Aren't most of these folks Christian? Didn't Christ encourage compassion and help for the poor among us. Hypocritical to said the Least!

September 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Chris

That was greatly exaggerated by some MSM. Maybe review the entire segment.

September 13, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Wow!!!!!!! Governor Perry busted and lied, I don't believe what he said!!!!!! YIKES!!!

September 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Cathy

Busted and lied about what?

September 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Talked about his policy taxes as well and he was bad news to tell me that was flat lied to us as well........ He won't have SSI or Healthcare as well.

September 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  43. Cathy

Last night Bachmann truly made a fool of herself. She should get herself educated on the subjects on which she intends to use to injure her opponents.

September 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cathy,
      I agree with you, She doesn't know what she had said to people....... She will not able be candidate president in the future.

September 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    –Interesting debate topic.

September 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  45. Saray

Greetings all...

September 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm |