Pres. Obama Unveils New Jobs Plan & New Terror Threat:  Join the Live Chat
September 8th, 2011

Pres. Obama Unveils New Jobs Plan & New Terror Threat: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, in a speech to joint session of Congress, Pres. Obama spelled out his vision to improve the U.S. job market. We'll have feedback from both sides of the aisle. Will his plan work? Will the GOP back it? We're also looking at past promises by Pres. Obama on the jobs front. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, breaking news on a new terror threat in the U.S. surrounding the 9/11 anniversary. An official calls the threat "specific, credible but unconfirmed." The source also saying that New York and Washington were mentioned as possible targets – the same cities hit 10 years ago.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paula, Colorado

Michele Bachmann's response is too predictable–doesn't really lead anywhere.

September 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  2. Nina

Good Night everyone.

Hopefully those in the hotter areas of Southern California and Arizona find somewhere out of the heat!

September 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "Great discussion!"

September 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  4. vic , nashville ,tn

Last night debate candidates didn’t answer many direct question

September 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Cathy

I thought they did. Perry was very direct; debates offer little time to address anything in detail. Also, there are always too many in the debate for everyone to have sufficient time.

September 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you & good night Anderson & Team360. (I hope the blog will continue later at the 10pm show).

Good night fellow writers – great conversation tonight and finally some hope (possibly).

Excellent analysis with All panels!

September 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  6. Nina

I am very disappointed in Michele Bachmann

September 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Cathy

Interesting that the focus was on her tonight instead of the frontrunners. Very interesting strategy. Good luck with the electricity; just had that problem several hours a few days ago.

September 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
      • Nina

The heat is actually dangerous in areas over 100 degrees. I have major concerns for those people.

September 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
        • Cathy

Understand. It was 103 when ours went out.

September 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  7. Bob

The whole thing sounds like the old saying," Put all the economists in the country end-to-end and they still wouldn't reach a conclusion."

September 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly know as vincent

We are Not going to save the economy with just spending cuts. Increased taxes for those who can afford it, tax breaks to small business who really need it and so many other actions Will add up to a Recoveryl.

I believe that most Americans Want to help. However, what they defintely Don't Want is to see their tax money wasted on things like a "bridge to nowhere" or private airports for use of members of Congress.

Bachman & other rep. candidates are negative, negative, negative!

September 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Janis

You are so positive. Good for you, Starr. That's what we all need. Be positive and let's all help this economy recover.

September 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Nina

Hopefully the infrastructure would be our much needed electric grid across the country that is in much need for repair/replacement

September 8, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excellent point Nina with the news that CA, AZ are presently not receiving power!

September 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Cathy

No one was more negative than Obama was toward Bush. This goes with the game; unfortunately, it is much that–a game.

September 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  9. Lori - CA

Good night Anderson! Sweet dreams. Good night Everyone!

September 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  10. Nina

I was very delighted to hear that we will be putting many people to work on our infrastructure. That is exactly what happened in the depression. Roosevelt placed 11 million people to work which was one of the major factors that helped us out of the depression.

September 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  11. Nina

Good Evening everyone.

We have had a major power outage from major ports of Southern California all the way to Arizona. Talk about "hot"

September 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Lori - CA

The weather was slightly cooler today than yesterday.....thank goodness!

September 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Nina!!!!!
      Hang in there, Our prayers & thoughts with you!!!!!! I hope you keep safe and take care yourself!!!! 🙂

September 8, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
      • Nina

Thanks Megan. It was almost 100 degrees at work and dark before they let us go! lol

September 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  12. Lori - CA

The amount of debt is scaring me.

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  13. Paula, Colorado

Good discussion on the jobs plan, Anderson.

September 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  14. Henry From River Forest

I have not heard anyone discuss how the Social Security fund (including Medicare Payroll tax fund) will make up for the loss of revenue caused by a payroll tax holiday or reduction. Is this not essentially kicking the can down the road? Even if it is a different highway?

September 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Cathy

I have been thinking the same thing for the past year. That one is difficult to understand. No increases for seniors on SS, but break for those paying into it.

September 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!! Good point there, Cathy!!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  15. vic , nashville ,tn

I like Jay Carney

September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Vic,
      Me too....... Jim Carney is best one of press secretary I have seen his!!!!!!!! 🙂

September 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

Do I dare to hear that Reps might want to work toward getting something passed? Oh I hope so.

September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Cathy

Possibly if he has a plan as to how it will all be paid for. It seems he wants to work with Republicans as well.

September 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  17. Janis

Jobs – don't we need a demand for USA goods or services first? it's like what comes first the chicken or the egg. Seems confusing when they make everything so complicated. Smoke and mirrors?

September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Lori - CA

I think we have a great demand in the USA for better maintained infrastructure including roads, ports, rail and utilities.

September 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
      • Janis

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with that, but will it be a long term solution. We have to think beyond the politicians election cycles and will it provide enough good paying jobs? I'm on board with Obama, just have questions about the long term solution.

September 8, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

It is hard to think about what has to come first when so much has collapsed. Might be able to use an emergency triage way of thinking where we have to stop the profuse bleeding first, then can look at how to get the person totally well and back on their feet.

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  18. colleen

I am a Canadian, and can realize that the economic woes of the world are not President Obama's fault. He is trying to keep the economy from a great depression. Just suceeding in that alone should make the citizens realize that is a huge achievement. The economy will grow over time, and it can grow faster with money injected by government. More jobs means more taxes for govt. in which case they will be able to pay down the deficit. WISH WE HAD OBAMA HERE FOR OUR PRIME MINISTER. By the way, we have government health care, thank goodness. Everyone here has right to health care, and you don't go broke because of ANY health problems

September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Thank you for your post Colleen. It's good to see it from your perspective. And I wish we had health care available to all. Another thing our President tried to get done but was met with a stone wall (made of lobbyists who threw huge money around)

September 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  19. Penny

As a former member of the military; I'm wondering if this power outage in california and Arizona could have to to do with a terrorist attack. This is just the kind of thing they like to do, especailly in the so called "West" of the United States, we couldn't be be expecting iit there. God, I hope not. This could be a major problem with a main feed that has been tampered with in some way....

September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  20. Mark

I simply like the fact that tonight the Republican party "shot themselves in the foot." By not formally responding to the speech, the President had the last word. It is time for both Parties to go to work!! I'm very happy with this speech and I actually optimismistic that something will be done and our government will function as it should. The speech was NOT a joke to me, it was a leader leading.

September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Cathy

I don't feel they shot themselves in the foot in any way. By not responding, most likely it was a sign they wanted to work with him given that responses from either party are always filled with points of disagreement.

September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  21. Ricky

A lot of the things he is promising now are things that should have been done a long time ago.

September 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  22. vic , nashville ,tn

I am 100% with President I can buy or start a small diner and hire 5 to 10 people
    That is my retirement plan own a small business
    Than underemployed I glad to be self-employed its help nation economy

September 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good for you Vic. We need hundreds more like you!

September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yay!!!!! Good for you!!! I am proud of you, Vic!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Yes Gloria. Game on!! Independents are just as upset with congress as everyone else. I think they will interpret this speech and the general outline of the plan as reasonable and needed. If they get behind it, it's another 4 years for Barack Obama. When he "takes it on the road" he is always at his best.

September 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Love your post, Sharon. I Am an Independent voter and i have been extremely discouraged by much of the Tea Party's philosophy & the Rep's who went along with them on the debt ceiling.
      I'm basically a centrist. The President's speech made "sense" to me. Of course, i Do want to see the facts (how we are going to pay for this plan.)
      Regardless, i am sincerely encouraged by Obama, who, up to now, has, in my opinion, has been a disappointment especailly regarding the economy.

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  24. Janis

I think you can go out to the White House web site and read more specifics on the jobs speech if you need to know how he's going to pay for it. He said it wouldn't cost us anything. Do I believe him – more yes than no, but not 100% if that makes any sense.

September 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  25. Ann M.

GO President Obama! What an excellent speech to every American. Shame on any congressman who does not vote for this Jobs Bill -you will suffer at the polls next year. Americans are tired of this 'no tax' promise and holding us hostage to extremes. This President just showed us the leader he truly is.

September 8, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Cathy

I as one American am tired of everyone pointing to the wealthy (which I am not) to foot the bill for everyone else. We should really ask why half of us pay no federal income taxes. Some loopholes for them also need to be closed.

September 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
      • vic , nashville ,tn

Its about share not about their wealth

September 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
        • Cathy

Yes, and everyone needs to contribute some "share."

September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
          • vic , nashville ,tn

Ok good so its has to in proportion

September 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
            • Cathy

The tax rates have always (at least for all the years I have paid) been in proportion to income.

September 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
              • vic , nashville ,tn

After tax loop hole proportion doesn’t have any meaning

September 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
      • Janis

The tax structure we have is really bad. I wonder how some people can fill out the forms every year. I imagine alot just give up and fill out the EZ form. I'm all for restructuring the tax system.

September 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ann,
      I agree with you....... That's right, Shame on Republican Congressmen who keep their money as hostage!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  26. Vince

Greetings everyone,

The credible terror threat for NY/DC is horrible news – praying for the safety of everyone in NY/DC and that the efforts of the terrorists come to naught.

September 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  27. vic , nashville ,tn

This speech is not old same speech it has more substance

September 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  28. Stan Brody

Let's see now, President Obama is calling for new jobs... very credible and honorable... However, insofar as the housing industry is directly responsible for in excess of 22% of every job right here in the good ole' US of A, why does he continue to ignore (or is that refuse to address) the housing crisis.... wonder if he first needs the permission of the Wall Street lobbies... spineless...

September 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

The new terror threat is very disturbing. I think the threat level should be raised if only for the heightened focus on 9/11 during these days surrounding the tenth anniversary.

September 8, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paula,
      Yes, It is..... Very disturbing indeed........

September 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  30. Gretchen

I think that the presidents plan is great for the country and it's not just democrat or republican.I really wish that the media would stop trying to pit republicans against democrats ,it's bad enough for most americans.Maybe if the media would be on a more positive note maybe people would'nt feel so down about a possible compromise.The president was bipartisan,and america needed the boost of confidence that he brought tonight..

September 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  31. vic , nashville ,tn

John Mc Cain is right on housing market many underemployed want to move for good jobs but can’t sell their house and hard to rent we tried we may lose 30 gram and credit score

September 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  32. Janis

Alot of states in the West had a huge building boom. Sen. McCain is right. Property values are way down where I live.

September 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  33. Sabrina

Our President delivered a great speech! It's time for congress to put the American people first and act now to pass the Jobs Bill

September 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    That's right president Obama!!!!! I agree with him!!!! Wow!!!! New terror????? Hmmmmm.... I am not worried at all, We are safe for now!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  35. Tina

Great speech (I'm a moderate...not a dem). Positive, good ideas, willingness to work out problems, get people back to work. So I guess Congress won't like it.

September 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Tina,
      Yes, That's good point there..... It is republican Congressmen and women don't like his plan......That reason is no one knows how we have lot of problem our economy right now. 😦

September 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly know as vincent

RE: free trade bills. As far as i know, they have been submitted to Congress and have just "sat there" for the last almost 3 yrs.
    I truly respect John McCain, and agree that the housing problem remains Huge. I have 3 friends who have lost their houses and my little sister is struggling to keep hers. It is a problem that needs to be addressed.
    God bless him for his continued efforts at bi-partisanship.

September 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  37. Carla

I think a very good speech. Need specifics, what will it add to deficit if they dont find more than 1.5T in savings by Christmas. Is there something in place that makes sure they find more to pass the bill? Will wait to hear the specifics and hope he releases those to decide if I support the plan.

September 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I think (not completely sure) that the President said something to the effect that he has people auditing the Fed. gov. in an effort to weed out truly ancient and un-needed programs. If that's the case, it's my guess we could save many billions and perhaps more.

September 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
      • Carla

I agree with that – maybe even trillions, really. But when and how long will that take and is that part of the plan to force that to happen and what is timeline. I like what he said – I really did. I think it sounds good overall – strong ideas – just wondering more about the specifics of the bill he is proposing.

September 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  38. Janis

Infrastructure will become important to businesses that can't get their products to market quickly and efficiently.

September 8, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  39. Sharon Hastings

You can bet they are hot on the trail of those 2 trucks right this minute.

September 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  40. Janis

Classified? There are probably 100 people out there that may have seen something that didn't seem right to them but they just don't know they should be suspicious.

September 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  41. vic , nashville ,tn

“They don’t have the luxury of waiting fourteen months.” Best lines best moment

September 8, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Janis

You can say that again. People are stocking up on dried beans not skipping dinner out. I think it's getting to the point were what you eat for dinner not where you eat dinner is a fact of life. What food provides most protein, etc.

September 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I loved it too Vic. And so very true.

September 8, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

That was one great line and Truth of many in the President's speech, Vic.

Of course, as we could see with Alex & now the othe Rep. panelists the "spin" and talking points are at the ready. I couldn't believe Alex C.'s negativity.

September 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
      • Cathy

There's two sides to everything. A CEO of a small company was recently interviewed and said he had three people cancel their interviews for employment the day after the unemployment benefits were extended. Apparently they did have 14 months to wait.

September 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
        • vic , nashville ,tn

Americans love to work, work come home play with kids that is great pleasure in the world
          May be that CEO didn’t want to hire
          Who pass back round check got jobs from us people are begging for jobs

September 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
          • Cathy

A CEO would not schedule interviews when he is not hiring; simply too busy for that. The people canceled. We are naive if we think some would not prefer the unemployment money over a job.

September 8, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  42. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one
    After president speech breaking news about terrorist threat we have to take seriously

September 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  43. Janis

In regard to terror threats, why don't they release descriptions, etc., more specifics to public? We're all interested in protecting our security.

September 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

WOW – what a speech that the President gave!!

WOW – now we have a "credible" threat to coincide with the 10th anniversary of 9/11! I sure am glad that our intelligence services are "on top" of the situation.l

September 8, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      I agree with your comment!!!!!! Good point there!!!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  45. Janis

Hello everyone.
    Obama's speech was great. I watched tweets and getting a very positive response from the trends I was watching. He's got alot of believers out there. Just need Congress to get off their backsides and start fighting the economic war on unemployment. Go team USA.

September 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I'm Glad to hear that the tweet world is responding Positively to the President's speech. I know i was Moved. It was a frank, if not blunt call to Congress to Do Something for the American People! Yes!

September 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
      • Sharon Hastings

Me too Starr. I think he revved up his base (that's me) and good to hear John McCain being somewhat positive. I have to have some hope that congress will do something. Otherwise it's just too depressing to think about.

September 8, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Yes, Sharon, the speech was excellent and exciting and Positive – something that so many Americans need to hear right now – a plan & positivity!

I am also encouraged by Sen. McCain (who i have a great deal of respect for). I am also encouraged to hear the Boehner & Cantor felt that they could pass some of the President's plan.
          I am an Independent and a centrist. I am also, hopefully logical. I believe the President right now – it made sense!

September 8, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The threat level is always high in New York!

September 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gloria,
      Yes, We do!!!!!!! I hope not get warning without our knowledge as well.

September 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I hate to hear of the recent terrorist threat but not surprising around the anniversary of 9/11. I pray this will not happen. Happily though, hurray for the President for a wonderful speech. Let's hope a plan can be passed quickly that will help the country.

September 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Yes, Sharon, i agree re: 9/11 threat. But i know i am encouraged that the intelligence services are on top of this so hopefully Nothing will happen. That is my prayer for NYC & WA DC (or anyother city in our country).

September 8, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I'm so excited over the President's speech!

September 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    Very good speech from Pres. Obama. I hope the jobs plan will be given a chance to be effective.

September 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Greetings!

September 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm |