AC360 Thursday 8p

There are growing questions about the Bluefin-21 search for Flight 370. What's happens when it completes its sweep? The latest tonight on AC360.
Quake Rattles East Coast, Opposition Fighters Storm Gadhafi Compound: Join the Live Chat
An earthquake caused workers to evacuate their buildings in New York City on Tuesday
August 23rd, 2011

A rare magnitude 5.8 earthquake hit Virginia this afternoon and could be felt from the Carolinas to New England. We'll have the latest developments. Plus, opposition fighters storm Moammar Gadhafi's compound in Tripoli. CNN's Sara Sinder was there as it unfolded. We'll talk with her and our other reporters in Libya's capital. NATO says this is the "final chapter" of the Gahdafi regime. It's unclear where the Libyan leader is tonight. We'll have all the angles.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paula, Colorado

I hope Gadhafi doesn't remain elusive for long. I look forward to your live coverage later, Anderson!

August 23, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    East coast people, My prayers and thoughts with you, including NYC!!!!! hang in there!!!!! :)

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!
    Be careful out there in NYC!!!!! Keep safe, I will see you at 10pm tonight!!!!! :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Great job by Anderson and Co. reporting on so many important things tonight. As a south Florida resident I can say we are grateful to miss the hurricane. But to those in the projected path, please make your personal and family plans according to your local recommendations. Better to be prepared and not need to use the plan than not be prepared!!

August 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Grant

Good point it is a great time to prepare. Good night Sharon and you stay safe to if your on the coast.

August 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  4. Janis

You hear her, Gadhafi thugs. This is the reason all these people have been willing to die and confront you and throw you out! Freedom!!

August 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  5. Janis

She is a free Libyan! What a wonderful feeling that must be.

August 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Grant

It warms the heart. The world needed a win and they got one in Libya.

August 23, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The earthquake did create post stress for a lot of 9-11 survivors.

August 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  7. lisal -canada

kind of surprised that was actually felt all the way to new york – pretty wild

August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly know as vincent

When i lived in mid-state NY, there was an earthquake approx. 15-20 yrs ago, but it was less than a 4.

It's very unusual to have earthquakes on the East coast.

August 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Grant

I'm used to them living in the Cali Az area. 5.8 can be scary but out here it is just a relief that it wasn't worse. It must have been unsettling but they were lucky. I hope the Hurricane passes smoothly.

August 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  9. Grant

It all happened so fast it is time to take a step back and look at the big picture.

August 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

Excellent discussion on Libya, Anderson.
    –I didn't feel the earthquake that happened in southern Colorado either.

August 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  11. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I worry that with all the "blood lust" from fighting will spill over into retribution if they find Gadaffi or any of his family. I think i would like to see them arrested and tried for their crimes. But, then again, i'm not Lybian,.

I pray that Prof. Ajami is right and that the freedom fighters will listen to their leaders.

August 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Janis

Yes, I agree. It would be a good sign to the world that their new Libya has cohesion and respect for justice for all the people of Libya, not just a few hot heads.

August 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  12. Janis

Interesting conversation about Libyan tribes and transition questions, Anderson. Sorry you had to break away too.

August 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Frances Townsend and Dr. Ajami are correct about Libya........ Good point there! I agree boh of them!!!

August 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  14. Saray

They need to get rid of all former "ministers". These positions were given to people without any experiance.

August 23, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  15. Saray

Now they need to really organize. They are oil rich very developed country. They have best designed watering system in the world basicaly cutting the desert in half. If oil companies play fair with them and do not try to strongarm them they will all prosper. They have to be helped but left alone to govern otherwise they will start turning into another dictatorship.

August 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I was in the "Ladies Room," and I did not feel any shaking of an earthquake. I missed it all!

August 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Maybe You don't feel earthquake durning sway like that........ I had felt twice....... Look like away and roll coaster like that when I was watching tv....... That was so scary one I felt!

August 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  17. Janis

I think Libya needs to worry about where Gadhafi's sons are. I think Gadhafi is not mentally capable of organizing any resistance and is most likely being protected from the fact that he has lost his power by his sons.

August 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Another good point. That was why is was so disappointed that Saif was Not captured. He is truly dangerous. I don't know much about the other children, but i would feel bettter if they were in custody.

August 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  18. peggy stewart

Someone explain why the freedom fighters are freshly showered and wearing immaculate clothes after their gruelling fight. Also perhaps Chance might try thanking his protectors and perhaps even interview them.

August 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  19. Saray

They are so done. Paid fighters are gone and libiyans will allign with "rebels". I hate thay term. This is their country and they are more of freedom fighters armed and supported by NATO.

August 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree. They are freedom fighters.

August 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Yes I agree with the idea of freedom fighters. They have fought for their freedom with everything they have.

August 23, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  20. Saray

He has to know if he stays he will be killed. There is no court that can handle his rumblings. Remember the last UN speach that lasted for 90 minutes. Imagine bringing him to court.

August 23, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Some jounalists do not play; they put their lives on the line. May God bless them!

August 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  22. lisal -canada

it sounds like this is something that will not be over in a couple of days

August 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  23. Vince

Greetings everyone,

It does make one wonder what is Gadhafi's endgame in all this; since it is apparent that his rule is at its end – yet he refuses to surrender and is fighting to the bitter end. Our thoughts and prayers are for the safety of the Lybians and journalist who are in the areas where Gadhafi still as strongholds.

August 23, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Grant

He probably doesn't have a full comprehension of the situation. His yes men are probably spinning the story for him to avoid his anger and of course he's known for his drug use and delusions. Ghadafi won't admit defeat, he may not even realize when he's defeated.

August 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excellent point Grant!

August 23, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wow, What are the chances to be in a position that Chance is?

August 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  25. Paula, Colorado

It's frightening watching the journalists trying to report in the midst of the conflict–I pray they all remain safe.

August 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  26. Saray

He has also been getting lot of support from Serbia but I doubt they will help him more with all Euro. I would not be surprised if brasil takes him as well. They have been againt this uprising from the begining.

August 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  27. lisal -canada

hope all works out for the temporarily trapped journos

August 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  28. Saray

There was a report today on BBC that most support he was getting in last 6 months came from Chad and they have offered him safe passage for right money. It has also been reported that Hugo is only recognizing Libya with him as president and he will support him any way he can.

August 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Grant

Appreciate the info thanks.

August 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  29. Kirsten Verdi

Hello y'all, Greetings from Texas! I am just glad nobody was hurt today. 2 earthquakes in 2 different regions ( Colorado and the east coast) of the US in one day is something else!!!! I hope that Gadhafi will not be replaced with someone just like him....that goes for all the other countries that have overturned their governments! I hope these countries will become better places!

August 23, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Kirsten. Where in Colorado?

August 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

In around west of Denver, Starr.

August 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Kristen,
      Welcome to Live Blog! Yes! That's true, all the region area also different failt lines where the earth moves arouud also I think you are right about that! :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Chance is calling!

August 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Yes Gloria and it is good to hear his voice. However, i don't like what the Gadaffi guard said to him. I'm still worried.

August 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  31. Janis

Moussa is at it again. I wouldn't believe a word that guy says. They're using the media as usual.

August 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  32. lisal -canada

i am impressed with sara's composure during the events of today

August 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I'm impress too with Sara reporting!

August 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  33. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Great reporting by Sarah S.!

Am very concerned for Matthew Chance and the others. I pray with all of my heart that they getout of there safe and come home!
    There's no denying however, that their reporting has been excellent and that they are truly Courageous.

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  34. Janis

I think the journalists in the Rixor are in a very bad situation. Saif will use them as pawns just as he used the media in his "capture/escape" spin. This whole regime is based on intimidation and media spin.

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Sara Sidner also is ok and safe and Matthew Chance also safe as well......... :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  36. Saray

Gadhafi is broadcasting on radio from Chad. He has left days ago and awaiting his visa from Hugo Chaves.

August 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Grant

Where did you hear that, I would love to read that story.

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
      • Janis

He's probably in the Rixos hotel somewhere. He knows they won't shell the journalists.

August 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I haven't heard this before Saray. Where did you hear this?

August 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Please Saray, letus know who published that info.

August 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  37. Sharon Hastings

It's the other way around. The Gadhafi loyalists are not protecting the journalists–the journalists provide protection for the loyalists.

August 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree Sharon!

August 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Janis

I believe that too.

August 23, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May they all be safe on the front-line.

August 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  39. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I watched this report. Boy those guns were so many & so loud and very dangerous!

Cnn's reporters are All very Brave and i worry for them.

I am especailly worried about Mathew Chance and the others. My prayers they get Out of there Safe!

August 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Yes you are right Starr. They are very brave and they have put themselves in harm's way again and again. I pray for their safety.

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      Me too.... I also worried about Matt Chance....... they are doing great job as well. Anderson also worried all the reporters.

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  40. Janis

Hello everyone. Sara Sidner is a most amazing woman. She's reporting with all that gunfire around her. Very courageous journalist.

August 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Janis....
      Yes, She is amazing what she have to do protect herself as well..... I think you are right. :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  41. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

The Lybian forces have been doing a great job!

And, how about that earthquake. Imoved from WA state because i was afraid of earthquakes. Sure hope we won't get them in NM!

August 23, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      You are right, We had lot of eathquake in Seattle area as well, I know people take drill quickly during chaos!!!!! I agree..... People scared of it!!!!! Yikes!!!

August 23, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  42. Saray

Very weird to feel earthquake in New England. Except for some material damage I haven't heard of major injuries. Good thing since I am sure certain people would manage to blame Pres. :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • sam

do u think ther will be an aftershock cause i heared that there might be an aftershock at 9:00pm tonight so im getting a little worried

August 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Sara Sidner is amazing. She's right inside the gun battles. Front line for sure.

August 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  44. Saray

Good evening all.

August 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! :D
    Wow!!!!!! What a day for me see that both events East coast rattles over and Libya also victory today! :)

August 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  46. Grant

Good evening everyone.

August 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Alot going on today–earthquake, hurricane, Libya, wow.

August 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yea, Sharon......
      It was so scary one I have seen this video on east coast strikes earthquake....... Yikes!!!!!!!! I agree!!!!

August 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm |