Tough questions for President Obama: Join the Live Chat
August 16th, 2011

Tough questions for President Obama: Join the Live Chat

The President is on what the White House is calling a listening tour about the economy, but what is being done back in Washington to create jobs?...by the President and by Congress?

Is anything really being done?

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Grant

Good night everyone.

I hope you take some time this week to call or write our leaders. I will be writing to them about Syria but whatever your concerns are please make your voices heard. Others are dying for that freedom we should excercise ours.

August 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree completely Grant. Writing or calling our rep's in Congress is Very important!

August 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  2. Gretchen

So sad about the 2 year old little innocent girl.what is happening there is echoes of history,the murder of emmett till,michael schwerner and james chaney,4 little girls blown up in the 16 street baptist church,the assassination of martin luther king,bombings of synagogues,freedom has a very high cost,usually you pay through blood.It's just so sad that instead of the world learning from it's past we keep repeating the ills and evils that keeps us all separate.whether it's about race,religion,or sexual orientation,we still have not learned to live and let live.

August 16, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  3. Paula, Colorado

The parents should know the difference between discipline and child abuse.

August 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

i always find it so sad when tragic things happen in the name of religion

August 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I couldn't image what children have through!!!! Poor children I have see this video!!!! I agree with you, AC!

August 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  6. Saray

Syria will not be punished unless Russia and China agree. They arm and fully suport them and we all know how eager they are to align with American ideas.

August 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good point and well said Saray!

August 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  7. Lori - CA

I do not think that spanking is in the bible as an accepted form of child rearing.

August 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  8. Janis

I don't think the book caused this. It's about horrific abuse. The parents had the capacity to be violent abusers long before they picked up that book. I don't agree with the book now. There are alot of people walking around today that were spanked as children. It is not acceptable now.

August 16, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  9. Lori - CA

How can anyone support spanking with a switch over hours as a form of training. That sounds like POW camp treatment.

August 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  10. Grant

My ethos is surrounded by doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It may be unpopular but we need to do something. you just can't watch this on TV it is too brutal. Where would we be if we hadn't stopped Hitler it may have been on a different scale but it is the same deed. It is evil pure evil we should put the same focus n this as we did on Somolia. It is the right thing to do. Syria must be helped.

August 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  11. "Starr, formerly know as vincent

I was spanked a lot as a kid,with either a belt or hairbrush.

All it taught me was to be afraid of my parents! (and a loss of self esteem).

August 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  12. Sharon Hastings

My generation got spanked and certainly my parents' generation did. My dad's mom would switch him with a thin branch off a tree. My mom spanked us with a pink plastic hairbrush on our bare butts. I used to chase her around the room begging her not to spank my sister. We didn't seem to suffer untold mental harm but I think we are looking here at real physical abuse leaving physical and emotional scars and even death. Heck, my teachers could spank when I was in grade school. We got hit with rulers. I'm not condoning spanking but the abolishment of it has been fairly recent.

August 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

We must be from the same generation Sharon.

However, i did not allow Any of my teachers to hit me – i spent a lot of time in the Principle's office

August 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May all people live in freedom!

August 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

I second that Gloria!

August 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Very funny, Isha!!!!!!!! I don't know that Piers Morgan made money!!!!!! LOL!!!!

LOL!!!! I love The shot big truck pulls other big truck!!!!!!!! Cool! I agree with Isha says! 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  15. Paula, Colorado

Excellent–though disturbing and chilling–interview with the Syrian activist, Anderson.

August 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  16. Saray

Things in countries like Syria will never change. They can start but it would take them years and years. Problem is they have been living this way for years. Biggest problem we have is trying to give oppressed people idea they can live like we do. If your father is president for 50 years and you take over you will not give that power easy. Sad thing is current president of Syria is educated and considered "good" son. People of Syria are "lucky" his brother dies before chance of taking over.

August 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  17. Lori - CA

Someone got a little carried away with the truck tug-of-war!!

August 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  18. Janis

Hillary Clinton will see the videos from Syria.

August 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

Innocent children are always killed in wars but this brutal torture is too horrible.

August 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  20. Saray

Unemployment can only go up since summer is coming to the end and all outdoor jobs will be ending. What the Pres should do is present good ideas that can start jobs by spring time. Reps will never vote for them but he can at least try. Being that new round of fighting about debt ceiling is coming jobs will take backseat once again.

August 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  21. Grant

We should be absolutely ahsamed of ourselves squabling over our minor agenda as the world falls apart around us. This is a two year old girl slaughtered by her own leaders. Do you think our leaders are evil do we hate each other? This is an abomination to freedom and if we are to do anything it should be to help the Syrian people. I agree with something Mr. Bush said. We do not need international support we can save these people all by ourselves.

August 16, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  22. Janis

I agree with you, Anderson. It's amazing, the courage and valiant efforts of the Syrian people.

August 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  23. "Starr, formerly know as vincent

I don't have the courage to look at the video. God bless the Syrian people for their great courage in the face of such unrelenting brutality!
    My heart aches for Syrian, Lybia, Somalia, and any other country that is suffering unspeakable brutality just so they can have dignity, a life, freedom, and raise their children in peace. The Entire global community should be screaming for justice and acting to create justice for these many people!

August 16, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Janis

Yes, me too. Good words, Starr.

August 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

A triple A's side tracks us! We need jobs! Triple A's that!

August 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  25. Janis

I'm sure the State Department sees these videos too. All the risk these poor people are taking for us to see is being seen by everyone, I'm sure. I hope!!

Terrible footage.

August 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Janis,
      Yes, I am sure that Department of state will look for that, That is so horrible situation right now in Syria....... The leader will eventaully step down for sure.

August 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  26. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Hi Anderson Cooper and AC360 crews,
    Why wait? The American public is quite desperate and thirsty for any functional economy resuscitations, so President Obama's plan would sound even more ambitious because he lets his constituency build the pent-up unnecessary demands. if you got a plan, you let it forward-tested in whatever way- public hearing, media scrutiny, experts' critique what an illegitimate down-right political campaigning for his second term

August 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  27. lisal -canada

the stories coming out of syria truly are tragic and disturbing

August 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Vince

Greetings everyone,

Lisa,

Indeed, quite disturbing news of children be arrested and murdered in Syria. It is so heartbreaking...

August 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

It's awful to see what is happening in Syria.

August 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  29. Andrew

Did David Gergen just say that the President should bring the heads of congress together to hammer out a jobs program? Was he asleep during the debt-ceiling crisis. The President brought the leaders of congress together and we all saw who willing the GOP was to negotiate. They have repeatedly said that their main objective is to defeat Obama. Does Gergen really think they will help put together a jobs program???? Get real.

August 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Lori - CA

Andrew, my take on David Gergen's comment is that time is of the essence. Many people have been out of work for a significant period of time and have lost everything. More and more people are having trouble meetnig the daily needs of their children and families. Something has to be done sooner rather than later. We do not expect an easy resolution between parties, certainly. You are right about that.

August 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Dulcie - Denver

Andrew, I think David Gergen says this because of the (as he often calls it) the optics. If Pres. Obama indeed has a jobs package ready, that fact alone might cheer the American public. Also, it would bring Congress back and cuts short their time in their districts 'talking trash' about his administration.

August 16, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  30. Janis

I think if Obama can get his early presidential 'mojo' back in gear he'll be OK. You could tell he had a plan and you could tell he was confident in his plans early in his presidency. He just needs to do that again.

August 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  31. Lori - CA

I can not imagine what a higher unemployment rate will feel like.

August 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  32. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening Anderson and fellow bloggers!

Something I've been pondering for a couple of days now. Laying off thousands of government employees and postal workers is going to inflate the unemployment numbers, no? It's not like those folks are going to the moon or Mars to find a job. They're going to be competing with those of us already unemployed, right? Can someone explain to me how this is a good thing? It's a tragedy!!! Throwing a whole pile of layed off government workers on the economy is NOT going to help anything.

Or am I completely stupid and missing some key kind of thing.

August 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Mark

No. Your right.

August 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Janis

I agree with you. With all the new cuts will be more unemployment.

August 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

You're not crazy or studpid Dulcie – your right!

I have No idea how the unemployment numbers will go Down, without sincere investment from the private sector.

August 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Grant

Lets face it we have elected a bunch of idiots and I thought bush was bad at least he did something.

August 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dulcie!!!
      You're so absolutely right. That will more than usually enemployment going up!!! That reason are layoff like post offices employment going lose their jobs as well....... I agree with you, Dulcie.

August 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
      • Dulcie - Denver

Thanks Megan, I don't understand why no one is picking up on this politically or even in the media.

August 16, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
        • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dulcie,
          I agree with you...... That will be media, of course.... Good point!

August 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  33. Janis

Hello everyone. Re: jobs. I don't see how they can create jobs when the demand isn't there. Maybe they should concentrate on creating the demand some way or bring back lost US jobs through some means.. This wasn't Obama's mess – it started long ago with NAFTA.

August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Have you heard? All the school bullies are in Congress!

August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

What can be done now to create jobs?? I really don't know. Does anyone know?

August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  36. "Starr, formerly know as vincent

If i were the President, i'd be "depressed & down" too,.

I have to admit i have been disappointed in Obama lately too. However, i have noticed that neither he, nor his staff cite the successes he has had.
    Also, following the Debt ceiling debacle, it's clear that he can't get Anything through Congress Without bi-partisan cooperation. Remember, he expressed a concern that we would be down-graded and he was right.

August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  37. Mark

Anderson. You want to dig up some good stuff? Check and see how many job bills were introduced in congress when the dems had control and how many times they were filibustered by the republicans. They tried to get job bills passed that would of helped small businesses (not small business as the republicans call them – corporations) hire more people and many other ones to create jobs.
    Another point is the republicans say that the people voted for them in 2010 to cut spending. That was the peoples number one issue. Go back and see what the number one issue the republicans ran on. IT WAS JOBS. That's all they said during their campaigns. Whrere are the jobs and that was the main issue with the American public. We got snowballed again by these crooks. Not one job bill has been introduced by the republican led house. Not one.

August 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Grant

Finally some truth in the news.

August 16, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

You are so right Mark. Republicans have elevated the "art" of filibuster to new heights.

August 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

So right Mark. I have said all along that these tea partiers have badly misinterpreted the mandate they think they were voted in on. Or they have purposely used this trumped up mandate to beat up Obama. At any rate, the people have suffered and most of them would have been all too happy for a compromise rather than what we are getting.

August 16, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Mark!

August 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  38. Lori - CA

I agree with David Gergen.

August 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  39. Sharon Hastings

The President is right and if Boehner and his party had been able to accept that compromise we would not have lost our triple A rating.

August 16, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Grant

Absolutely Sharon and we could have focused on jobs before the congresional vacation.

August 16, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES! You're so absolutely right!

August 16, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening, Lori- CA

August 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  41. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    The jobs decline started before President Obama. It's difficult to hold him responsible–though things have to improve–and he is the person in leadership.

August 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  42. BettyAnn,TX

WoWzA! Greetings AC/360 crew and fans. I can not get used to this new time slot. I'm trying!

August 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Betty!!!!
      Welcome back!!! Yes, we have new show already one week ago starts!!!!!!! Welcome to new show! 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  43. Grant

Rhetoric... My team is right your team is wrong if you elect us we'll fixt it next.

I want a no confidence chad on my ballot.

August 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Wow!! I am not surprised at all............ Obama is also not accountable for create jobs..... But republicans also sccountable without jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  45. Grant

Good evening everyone.

August 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  46. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Starr and Gloria and Everyone! Good evening!

August 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  47. "Starr, formerly know as vincent

As long as there is continued "opposition" in Congress, Nothing will get done!

We desparately need to have a Congress that will "cooperate" with each other to save the country.

We also need corporations that will consider it "patriotic" to create jobs. And, we need to extend incentives for small businesses to create jobs. (like SBA loans – easy to get for business expansion= more jobs.

I disagree with Ari F. Regulations Are Important. During the Bush adminstration Lack of regulations lead to the mortgage meltdown!

August 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  48. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. If all this jobs and debt and deficit issues were easy to solve, we would have done it by now. To make matters worse, there is apparently no negotiating a compromise in Washington. What is Obama supposed to do?? He can't wave a magic wand or implement a balanced compromise all by himself. Apparently he will have some proposals soon but what are the chances for acceptance or a compromised agreement on them??

August 16, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

Well said Sharon!

August 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there!!!! Agrees with you, Sharon!

August 16, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  50. "Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I keep having difficulty remembering the New time for the show.

August 16, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Me too Starr. I was walking the dog and suddenly thought oh no it's time.

August 16, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
      • "Starr, formerly know as vincent

It's 6PM where i live. Right in the middle of a busy part of my day (watering the garden & walking my dogs). Plus, i just keep forgetting the new time. Thankfully i remembered tonight, as i really miss the conversation with everyone & the show.

August 16, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Lori - CA

The show starts at 5 pm in California now.

August 16, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sometimes we don't remember what time for new show!!!!! I can remember that time!!!! Don't worry about it, Starr. 🙂

August 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm |