Michele Bachmann GOP frontrunner: Join the Live Chat
August 15th, 2011

Michele Bachmann GOP frontrunner: Join the Live Chat

After winning the Iowa Straw Poll, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann is now a frontrunner in the Republican primary race. But keeping them honest, she also seems to be running from her own past statements about sexual orientation and civil rights.

What do you think about Bachmann’s sudden silence on a topic she once was anything but silent about?

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

AWWWWWWW Anderson!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! :)

August 15, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. It's a long road until the 2012 election. We're going to have to pace ourselves. I do remember the guy who sees sexual stuff in everything. He might be right but that's a topic for another day.

August 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone ! Sleep Tight!

August 15, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

wow – i'd do the graphic representation as well. i guess there will always be people who take photos like that and shop them around. nite.

August 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist Toby Harden's pictures of Michelle Bachmann, LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! I love his expression face, I think he is so absolutely right! :D LOL!!!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

August 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  6. Grant

Good night every one, Great discussions see you tommorow.

August 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  7. Grant

The Tea Party is getting harder to wrap my head around. It seems they really believe they are here to tell the people that they know better than we do. More importantly they will use every little bit of power they have to overturn us.

August 15, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  8. Betty from Iowa

I have heard so many say that our President should not be out "campaigning" and he should be in DC and working on the job issue. Do these people think that staying in DC while the congress is on vacation would help" As far as I know, he can't do it alone.
    We have a long way to go before the next election. I would think that during this time, the people in congress should do something to get the job problem solved.

August 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We all get there different ways with the Bible.

August 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  10. randall williams

"I won the straw vote,never the less a CRAZY straw!"

August 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  11. Saray

This is what happens when you follow religion to the extreme. If more people stayed in the middle of everything we would all be better off.

August 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

I'd pass up the book and just read the Bible.

August 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is so horrible shock!!!!!!! That was so wrong to beat up the children, It is so outrage what I have seen that abuse!!!!!!! Thanks Gary for info!!!!!!!!!!! :(

August 15, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everything does not take the act of Congress!

August 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  15. Sharon Hastings

This story is horrible. I can't stand it. Maybe these parents should receive the same "good licks". There is nothing holy or gospel about any of this.

August 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Awwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! I love "The Shot" when dog ran out the house reunion the troop came home from both countries and white dog made howls when he hear siren!!!!!!! :)

August 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  17. Ken from Berkeley, CA

"As our great Tea Party founder Abe Lincoln once said, 'You can fool some of the people all of the time!'"

August 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Grant

Yes liberal Lincoln the Tea Party founder. LOL.

August 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  18. Lori - CA

I like Emmit Thunder Paws!. My dog also howls at sirens......don't know why?..

August 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  19. lisal -canada

i love that dog!! oh this is so great!!

August 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  20. Greg S. in Chicago

Beating your kids because it says its okay in The Bible? Treating gays like second-class citizens because its excused in The Bible? Telling women to be submissive to their husbands because it says so in The Bible? Maybe people should start using common sense and actually act like the compassionate people they seem to believe they are – but clearly are not. Perry or Bachman as President? The same stupid mentality will prevail and be rewarded. If only you had to pass a test on intellectual prowess in order to vote.

August 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

President Obama is natural at campaigning. Good discussion and analysis tonight, Anderson.

August 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Last night, I was so shock to witness what happened the stage collasped during bad wind or storm in Indianapolis, Indiana...... My heart goes out to them and prayers/thoughts with families, friends and people.................. :(

August 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Now too late, It already fail listen what weather team told them, they supposed cancel concert!

August 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  23. Grant

David Gergen brings up a good point. While evryone is focusing on the campaign we have some real issues in the country. Are our politicians just going to ignore them and fight for 2012? How do they expect to run on the stalemate ticket?

August 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, I agree with you........ I think David Gergen is also right too.

August 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Unfortunately as a presidential election looms large, they have to do both–continue hard work on our economy and jobs and run for re-election.

August 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
      • Grant

I agree and really Id like to direct the comment more to the Tea Party not even the full Republican party. Will they stand in the way of our country in order to keep Obama's popularity down?

August 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
        • Sharon Hastings

Well, if recent history is any indication, they certainly will stand in the way.

August 15, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
          • Grant

Yet they think they can turn it around on the Democrats. These guys may be really disappointed in 2013.

August 15, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  24. Gail rosewater

Do you want a 2 year old to be your president? Then Michele Bachmann is your pick. She says she will NOT compromise under any circumstances. Try getting a two year old to be reasonable. I rest my case.

August 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  25. lisal -canada

i think that president obama's leadership skills are being critiqued because he has a laid-back style rather than a we-are-doing-this style and in some situations one is better than the other, or at least the way it is perceived

August 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  26. Saray

There is no way GOP passes anything president proposes. His goal should be presenting ideas on weekly basis and letting us know what they are. Let them vote no and voters will reward them next year.

August 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  27. Lori - CA

I think that the candidates should focus on telling the people how they will fix America's economic problems right not and not special interests.

August 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Actually I believe the President tried that but the Republicans would not even consider compromising on proposed solutions. Unfortunately this will probably continue. I hope it won't.

August 15, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  28. Tim, Poland, OH

I'd say that when a serious candidate for president labels more than 6 million Americans Satanic, it's pretty darn relevant because in her own words she is running for president of the entire United States. And frankly, if we allow candidates to determine what is or is not "relevant" for discussion, we are in serious trouble as a democracy.

August 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  29. Saray

I can't believe this is the best GOP has to offer. I am not complaining but it is just unbelievable that the far right has just taken over. Every day these 3 talk and sign all kinds of dumb pledges second term for the President just look imminent.

August 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  30. Adriano

Has anybody given Ms Bachmann the idea to call her campaign bus "The Ark" yet? Don't worry boys and girls I'm sure we can get a ride else where, more fun .

August 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree my favorite president Obama said..... He is so absolutely right! It is politics not policy.

August 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  32. Sharon Hastings

The President's trip is BOTH politics and policy. Everything in Washington is politics. He will be turning up the heat more and more. I believe he can uncover the fakery that is Perry in due time.

August 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Grant

You could say "that dog won't hunt". This issue simply won't make it into the real campaign. It will be about leadership on the republican side and leadership on the democratic side. The question is how will they market towards independents.

August 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
      • Sharon Hastings

You are right about the independents Grant. We will have to wait and see.

August 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's like she with the capital of the football team. It's even laughable!

August 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  34. Saray

Rick Perry just looks like someone who would tell you one thing them stab you in the back first chance he gets. I do not need winking have a beer with president. They do not care enough about is little people to have beer with unless they are campaining.

August 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh no.... I am sorry about teenagers 13 yrs old boy tried to play hockey to win $50,000 dolllars, didn't win at all....... :(

August 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Excuse me. My mistake not 13 yrs old....... I am correct this time 11 yrs old boy.

August 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  36. Andrew

If, as Bachmann seems to be saying, that GLBT issues are irrelevant to being President, then why was she was one of the first candidates to sign the two anti-marriage equality pledges. Obviously she thought it was an important issue then.

August 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  37. Lisa in Louisville

I think MIchelle Bachman wants it both ways. She wants to appease the more liberal voters by saying she's running for president not "judge." AND she wants to be the Tea Party's golden girl by being the "judge."

August 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    You're right about her..... She did not tell truth about everything!!!!!!!! That's why keep her honest, I agree with you!!!! :)

August 15, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  39. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone! Good evening!

August 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  40. Grant

Good evening everyone. I hope you had a nice weekend.

August 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  41. Saray

Good evening! She is fricking fake. I am starting to think she may be worst the sp. I didn't think that was possible.

August 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! :D
    Hope you have great weekend! :)
    Happy Monday night!!!
    I disagree the poll of Mrs. Bachmann!!!!

August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I hope you all had a good weekend. I took a nice break from politics and all doom and gloom talk.

August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a good weekend.
    It's kind of frightening that Michele Bachmann is a GOP frontrunner–though I'd probably think that of any of the Republican candidates as of now.

August 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Paula,
      I agree with you........... Good point there.

August 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I'll second that Paula. I'm almost positive she won't be the nominee but I would be thrilled if she was. I would love to see her (or Sarah) on a stage in a debate with the President.

August 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Grant

She's a blip on the radar Perry is the real candidate. If you want to stay informed study him.

August 15, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm |